The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1970 Chevy Longhorn Restoration progress (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=295016)

Jonzboy 05-07-2013 02:58 AM

Re: 1970 Chevy Longhorn Restoration progress

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 5898340)
Posted via Mobile Devicecouldn't sleep so I read through this thread so I'm subscribed. I also understand why you always seem to have nos stuff on parts board. Keep up the outstanding build. I'll be watching for updates. Gonna need lots of coffee in the morning.
:mm:
Posted via Mobile Device

Ditto!! Was supposed to be working late and couldn't stop reading this when I took a quick break looking for Longhorn metal bed solutions...

70LonghornCST 05-14-2013 08:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks! I hope you get some work done...I know I sure am dying to get back to working on it.

I did pick up a couple of items:

DUTCHMAN 05-15-2013 03:10 AM

Hey like your build, are the sides of that cluster grey or chrome and is that the original color?

72BlckButy 05-15-2013 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUTCHMAN (Post 6072090)
Hey like your build, are the sides of that cluster grey or chrome and is that the original color?

I believe they are grey.

Dieselwrencher 05-15-2013 02:56 PM

More great parts I see for your truck. Very nice. Have big plans to paint it over summer break by chance?

70LonghornCST 05-15-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DUTCHMAN (Post 6072090)

Thank you. The outer edge of the bezel is grey. Grey is only original to some of the early non-woodgrain bezels. These are factory replacements made in the early 80s.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 6072730)
I believe they are grey.

Correct, Nate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6072860)
More great parts I see for your truck. Very nice. Have big plans to paint it over summer break by chance?

Ryan, I hope to get it into primer, but that's about all I might have time for. With a 1 and 5 year old, time's not my own these days :)

Dieselwrencher 05-15-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST
Ryan, I hope to get it into primer, but that's about all I might have time for. With a 1 and 5 year old, time's not my own these days :)

I understand completely. We have a 2yr old daughter, a son that is 13 months, and another son due within the next month. It's definitely hard to keep up on odd projects.

RCbowtie69 05-16-2013 09:31 PM

Hey 70LonghornCST, just sitting around & checking up members buids.See you are still picking up parts.Hope the family is ok.I also pick up set of NOS bed fender wells, i'm still picking up parts for my build. Hope to start pictures of my build soon. Hope to see yours soon,keep on truckin'' :metal:

70LonghornCST 05-19-2013 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCbowtie69 (Post 6075250)
Hey 70LonghornCST, just sitting around & checking up members buids.See you are still picking up parts.Hope the family is ok.I also pick up set of NOS bed fender wells, i'm still picking up parts for my build. Hope to start pictures of my build soon. Hope to see yours soon,keep on truckin'' :metal:

Hi RCbowtie69,
The family is well, how's yours? Yes, you know how it goes: there's always something to buy. And it's a good thing, otherwise I'd never make any progress. Send me a PM when you start your build thread.
-Richard

ironroad9c1 07-07-2013 09:44 PM

little late now but etching primer is no good, best thing to use on bare metal is epoxy primer, it seals out all moisture, and if there is no moisture, no rust can form.

Don Brace 07-08-2013 09:35 AM

Your build looks great. The Longhorns need to be saved. I have built two 71s. My red one ton is my driver and the yellow one stays in the garage. Too much into it drive.
Don Brace MN

70LonghornCST 07-09-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironroad9c1 (Post 6161670)
little late now but etching primer is no good, best thing to use on bare metal is epoxy primer, it seals out all moisture, and if there is no moisture, no rust can form.

Thank you for the heads'up. The purpose of etching primer is, as the name suggests, it "etch" the metal surface to promote adheshion. It should be immediately covered in a sealer once sprayed. Fornunately for me, I don't live in a humid location and the build is indoors. I have bare surface metal with no flash rust, which has been uncovered for over a year. I will eventually sand off, reshoot and seal before block sanding.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Brace (Post 6162270)
Your build looks great. The Longhorns need to be saved. I have built two 71s. My red one ton is my driver and the yellow one stays in the garage. Too much into it drive.
Don Brace MN

Thanks! I agree. You don't see that many Longhorns left. We need people who appreciate them and restore them to their glory to save that bit of our truck history.

70LonghornCST 07-09-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 6072860)

A little late in replying, but no paint plans this summer. It came too fast and have too much on the plate. But boy do I want to get back into it.

Dieselwrencher 07-09-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70LonghornCST (Post 6164592)
A little late in replying, but no paint plans this summer. It came too fast and have too much on the plate. But boy do I want to get back into it.

Well at least you're still gathering parts for it. That is half the battle. Keep at it!

RCbowtie69 07-14-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RCbowtie69 (Post 6075250)
Hey 70LonghornCST, just sitting around & checking up members buids.See you are still picking up parts.Hope the family is ok.I also pick up set of NOS bed fender wells, i'm still picking up parts for my build. Hope to start pictures of my build soon. Hope to see yours soon,keep on truckin'' I hit the wrong quote also:metal:

Hi 70LonghornCST,the family doing fine here.Still colleting parts also & checking a few trucks & cars shows around here.I think theres one every weekend until the end of October.Keep on truckin'' keep the pictures coming. :metal: :cool:

Hardesty454 02-12-2014 12:13 AM

Hey neighbor. Truck looks good. I know all about the collecting parts thing. Ever need any help give a holler!

Already Gone 12-25-2014 12:18 PM

I just finished reading this whole build and Richard you will have an awesome truck when done. I admire the fact that you are priorizing your life and enjoying your family as they grow. It will be great to follow the rest of your build to completion and see you enjoying the truck.

sawman 03-28-2015 01:05 PM

hi,i have a chevy pickup trying to get some of the parts that's good off to sell,but as the years went by cant find title so I no what year,back when I had all the parts,it had a 307 v8 4 spd 3/4 ton bow tie emblem on hood,i think it is a 67/68 not sure what year,but it has a very long bed looks like a added piece on both sides of front of bed toward cab,

68Gold/white 03-28-2015 02:52 PM

Awesome work!!!

mcbassin 03-30-2015 07:58 AM

Thought for a second there was going to be an update.......

WIDESIDE72 07-31-2015 11:57 PM

Progress?

72 tigger 01-26-2019 05:52 PM

Any updates?

70LonghornCST 01-27-2019 03:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72 tigger (Post 8451666)
Any updates?

Funny you should ask. As of this last fall, I have broken the 10-year-seal on my halt in progress to raise my kids. Well, they are both still kids, but I am finding that age 10 and age 6 is giving me much more time than when they were infants and toddlers.

With that said, I've accumulated many more NOS parts that I have not listed (I will soon), as well as have begun physical work on smaller parts.

The first update I'm referencing here is the update to my dash cluster. I purchased an NOS (service stock) woodgrain bezel and needed to install it on my speedwarning cluster.

I was very nervous about drilling through the NOS woodgrain applique, but all ended well.

The other upgrade to this cluster was the addition of an absolutely perfect tach/vacuum lens (looks NOS), and an NOS vacuum gauge. The only gauge not NOS on this cluster is the speedwarning. The speedwarning cluster head has nice clean lettering, numbers, needles, and works perfectly.

70LonghornCST 01-27-2019 04:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Another update here. It's small, but important. I located an NOS set of upper and lower door hinges. Like most, there was the typical surface rust, but very minor considering what they could have been.

I removed all rust and meticulously treated the metal to convert any unseen rust that may have been left. I masked them (careful not to paint over the upper hinge arms and pads), used a metal etching primer, and then gave a shot of white primer.

I labeled them all until I'm ready to paint the truck (2019/2020 projection).

70LonghornCST 01-28-2019 01:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here'a a little bit that I did a couple of weeks ago. I restored my set of door/fender seals. The steel staples on the metal brackets are so strong, that I felt it'd be best to remove the rust from them and re-use them...especially since they'd be a pain to remove. I used a heavy gauge staple to re-attach the circular seals to the long seals.