The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Rufus Restoration (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=505573)

shearjs 06-04-2014 02:37 PM

Re: Project: Rufus Restoration

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6706533)
Killer progress. I would love to have the funds for a cam swap on my lil 4.8. Keep the pics coming.

Thanks Mike. The cam can be had relatively cheap. I paid $395 for a custom grind cam, then upgraded my springs to dual polished springs with Ti retainers for an additional $300. I think the spring kit is overkill, and you could probably get away new beehives for quite a bit cheaper. I just went with the duals since it was only a $50 upgrade to the labor on porting/polishing the heads. I'm shocked how easy all this has been so far. This is my first time doing any kind of engine work, so I'm learning as I go.

shearjs 06-09-2014 10:30 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I decided to take the day off on Friday, and dive into the deep end. Removed the original heads (317), then removed and replaced the original cam with a custom grind (228/232-112 LSA) that I got from a company called Advanced Induction. I used them for the CNC port job for the replacement heads (243) that are going back on. Also replaced lifters, lifter trays, timing chain, and oil pump while things were apart. For my first time doing any type of engine work, I'm surprised at the simplicity of the whole project. The most difficult part of this job was bolting the oil pick up tube back to the bottom of the oil pump.

shearjs 06-09-2014 10:32 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More...

Bennett68C10 06-09-2014 10:33 AM

Nice, can't wait to here a video of it idling.

shearjs 06-09-2014 10:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I also took a little time to install a Comp Cams bearing/trunnion kit in the stock rockers. Once the rockers were put back together, I measured for new push rods, and get them on order. Can't wait to hear this thing run. Mocked up the firewall plate for the Vintage A/C, and started doing a little looking under the dash to see what kind of room I have. Unfortunately, I think I'm probably going to have to redo my engine wiring harness, and make it fit the way I should have from the beginning.

Rusbuilt 06-09-2014 12:40 PM

Looking good Jason!

shearjs 06-09-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 6712864)
Looking good Jason!

Thanks buddy. Making some good progress.

shearjs 06-09-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6712678)
Nice, can't wait to here a video of it idling.

Thanks. I can't wait to hear it myself. Should be fun to drive!

shearjs 06-16-2014 09:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Still plugging away. Push rods showed up, so I got them stuck back in, and the rockers torqued on. Firewall plate painted and bolted on for the Vintage Air. Evaporator mocked up and ready to bolt in, and vent holes cut in the dash for the A/C vents. But, the best part of my weekend was spent with this little gearhead in the making. Hope all the dad's had a great father's day.

mcbassin 06-16-2014 11:21 AM

Engine looks great Jason! Got her driving already eh? CUTE! :)

nlped 06-16-2014 05:52 PM

Just read the whole thread and I just have to say...AWESOME!!!

shearjs 06-17-2014 08:44 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6723175)
Engine looks great Jason! Got her driving already eh? CUTE! :)

Thanks Mike! Trying to teach her the right way early.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 6723603)
Just read the whole thread and I just have to say...AWESOME!!!

Thanks Ed!

Made a little more progress last night. Compressor mounted and that looooong belt snaked in there. Also got the condenser/drier mounted and the small round vents in the dash. I'm little nervous about cutting the middle vent above the radio.

Rusbuilt 06-18-2014 06:56 AM

Looks like you're getting close!

mcbassin 06-18-2014 07:50 AM

Very nice progress.

nlped 06-18-2014 09:29 AM

I need to get my butt in gear... Your truck is really coming together.

shearjs 06-18-2014 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 6725865)
Looks like you're getting close!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6725917)
Very nice progress.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 6725997)
I need to get my butt in gear... Your truck is really coming together.

Thanks guys. I feel like it's getting close, but there's still a ton of little things to do. My goal is to have it back on the road by the end of the month. I decided to go ahead and tear it down, even though it was running great, so that I could get the a/c installed while it was still hot outside. My thought was that my little girl might be able to enjoy the truck a little with her pops this summer if it weren't like an oven. At least that's how I justified the purchase to the mrs. While the truck was going to be down for the install, I went a step further and decided to rid the dining room table of the stack of performance parts. While I've missed driving it the past few wks, I have a feeling that the excitement from the next drive will outweigh the down time. Thanks for following along and keeping me motivated. Watching your guy's builds are what make this so much fun.

Rusbuilt 06-18-2014 06:13 PM

I'm ready to see what you plan to do with those hubcaps!! ;)

shearjs 06-23-2014 10:01 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 6726539)
I'm ready to see what you plan to do with those hubcaps!! ;)

They're the perfect garage wall art right now. Maybe one of these days I'll catch up on some projects and shine em up and see how they look.

Made some more progress this weekend. I originally reworked a factory harness and had the ecu and fuse box located under the dash in the glovebox location. While this worked well with the set up I had, it doesn't work well at all with the new vintage air. So I was at a cross roads, rework the stock harness to make it fit, and drag this project out for the rest of the summer, or do the smart thing and find an aftermarket harness that's already ready to go. After doing some digging, I came across a company called BP Automotive. After a little further investigation, it turns out that the owner is a guy named Bill, whom I just happened to go to high school with several years ago. Small world, eh? Anyways, after speaking with Bill, I decided to have him make me a replacement harness. I drove up to his shop over the weekend and spent a while talking with him and picking up my new harness. I can't give him enough props. This harness is so nice, and much better than anything I could have put back together with my factory harness. I went ahead and had him to put relays in the fuse box to control my electric fans, as well as the A/C. My ECU will also be reflashed to adjust the necessary parameters to control the a/c compressor as well. All terminals are crimped very well with quality tools, and it's all wrapped and laid out nicely. If anyone needs one in the future, I'd highly recommend you give Bill a call and take a look for yourself. I decided to mount everything up in the corner where the stock battery tray would be. Once my air filter is installed again, it should all but disappear.

mcbassin 06-23-2014 11:06 AM

Very nice looking harness setup :metal:

nlped 06-23-2014 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6732546)

Yes it is! :metal:

Rusbuilt 06-23-2014 03:41 PM

Nice!!

Bennett68C10 06-23-2014 10:46 PM

Nice, sounds like a smart move going with a new one.

shearjs 06-27-2014 04:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6732546)

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 6732570)
Yes it is! :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 6732897)
Nice!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6733542)
Nice, sounds like a smart move going with a new one.

Thanks guys. Bill does good work! I was able to get the hole cut for the middle vent this week for the a/c. Plan to get the a/c put together this wkend, aside from the hoses, and get a little closer to the finish line. I have some new injectors on the way, and a guy doing a base tune for me, so hopefully it won't be much longer before I get to hear this thing run again!

Hart_Rod 06-28-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 6732461)
They're the perfect garage wall art right now. Maybe one of these days I'll catch up on some projects and shine em up and see how they look.

Made some more progress this weekend. I originally reworked a factory harness and had the ecu and fuse box located under the dash in the glovebox location. While this worked well with the set up I had, it doesn't work well at all with the new vintage air. So I was at a cross roads, rework the stock harness to make it fit, and drag this project out for the rest of the summer, or do the smart thing and find an aftermarket harness that's already ready to go. After doing some digging, I came across a company called BP Automotive. After a little further investigation, it turns out that the owner is a guy named Bill, whom I just happened to go to high school with several years ago. Small world, eh? Anyways, after speaking with Bill, I decided to have him make me a replacement harness. I drove up to his shop over the weekend and spent a while talking with him and picking up my new harness. I can't give him enough props. This harness is so nice, and much better than anything I could have put back together with my factory harness. I went ahead and had him to put relays in the fuse box to control my electric fans, as well as the A/C. My ECU will also be reflashed to adjust the necessary parameters to control the a/c compressor as well. All terminals are crimped very well with quality tools, and it's all wrapped and laid out nicely. If anyone needs one in the future, I'd highly recommend you give Bill a call and take a look for yourself. I decided to mount everything up in the corner where the stock battery tray would be. Once my air filter is installed again, it should all but disappear.

Nice job and good progress. Can you post some pictures of your drier/condenser setup?

shearjs 06-30-2014 10:03 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 6739299)
Nice job and good progress. Can you post some pictures of your drier/condenser setup?

Thanks! My drier/condenser looks just like yours at the moment, minus the trinary switch. I'm still trying to figure out a way to incorporate the GM pressure switch into the system so that I can run the fans/idle increase through the ECU. I've found a #8 T-splice that has a 3/8-24 service port on it, that I feel like the pressure sensor might fit. The sensor has M10x1.25 threads, which are pretty close to the 3/8-24. I suppose I could always run a die down it to change to the metric threads. Here's the LINK to the splice. These are the only pictures I have right now, but I'll try to get more later.

Edit: The splice that I linked to is backordered and is currently not available...go figure. Back to the drawing board.