The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=397618)

Wasted Income 09-23-2013 10:54 AM

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

Quote:

Originally Posted by BR3W CITY (Post 6278552)
...or the other option, I'll give you a minute to work it out.

:floss:

BR3W CITY 09-23-2013 12:13 PM

We have a "giving wedgie" emoticon? hahahahah

Jmorales3181 09-23-2013 09:11 PM

Might not comment all the time but I check every update and watch all the videos
Keep them coming man!
Posted via Mobile Device

mcbassin 09-23-2013 09:42 PM

Wedgie-lol
Keep the videos coming very informative and entertaining.

McMurphy 09-23-2013 10:16 PM

I too watch your videos, though I have to admit I am not of the "blogging" generation so I only check out what you put up here on this site.

You certainly talk/speak better in your vids than I do in mine !! :metal:

BR3W CITY 09-24-2013 04:32 PM

Thank you thank you. It takes a bunch of audio takes to get it that clean when I talk. I have a habit of rambling and getting way off target in real life, so I do a mental rough draft of each section, and try it a few ways for timing etc.

Non-truck related, but car related so I'll toss it up. This is just a quick 2min overview of a small brake upgrade on the same 350z Track that I showed in the PlastiDip pt1 video.

BR3W CITY 09-26-2013 08:07 PM

Alright guys, I have a couple interesting things to mention. First, YES there is a full install video from the linelock installation. Its a mass of way too many files from the first go-round and the reinstall after the failure. I'm facing a moral dilemma on this one. If I edit the footage "straight" it means editing and detailing the first install, the full internal failure, and the re install. This would result in a long, long video. The other option is to show the install once through, to success. I can then detail the failure as a warning for others. I'm not sure how I want to do this one, hence the delay on its release.

Now onto #2 for those on here as well as my YT subscribers, I have FINALLY finished the 350z color changeover, and the video that goes with it. Look for it here and on my channel coming up for the Drop early next week.

In the meantime; watch my cat eat a pear.
Always Choose HD

BR3W CITY 09-30-2013 04:14 PM

Time for a Monday Drop!
v
v
v
Video!

ALWAYS CHOOSE HD!
Part II of the PlastiDip videos on the 350z. LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE

BR3W CITY 10-12-2013 01:19 PM

Well I've been busy actually driving the thing...in October...in WI.....wtf.

This weather blows my mind. I put off a bedliner project and another little *fix it* thing sine I've been able to have her on the road. Looks like I'll still be winterizing by the end of the month though (video topic).

Yes, the line-lock video will still get put out at some point... Hell if the US gov will come out of shutdown before the 16th, I'll come out of truck-shutdown and put the video out asap.

Now....my mind has been let to wander for a few moments, and in between stealing cars and beating hookers senseless to get my money back (GTA V....or what I call a Tuesday), I've debated picking up ANOTHER new ride. I've been pretty steadfast working on the truck, but I think it needs a friend, and I could use some input.

I'm thinking; 2dr, pre-76, and a semi-daily driver. I don't currently own a drop top, so things like a Cutlass drop, an Impala 2dr or vert. etc etc. Opinions? I could really use some feedback on what you guys think. Prob gonna pick something up in good-driver to low-end-resto type. It won't be a hot rod, but WILL be a custom. I'm going to focus much heavier on the accoutrements. Interior, sound, wheels....basically the flash.

BOXER957 10-13-2013 05:31 AM

Check out the Buick Electra's, it doesn't matter what era. They are class, bada$$ and have a lot of go already under the hood. I think if you looky you likey.

BR3W CITY 10-19-2013 01:15 PM

No more Saturday morning cartoons?!?!?

How bout a Saturday afternoon
v
v
v
Video

ALWAYS CHOOSE HD

PT3 of the plastidip series of videos we did with the 350z. LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE

BR3W CITY 10-19-2013 01:26 PM

And DOWNLOAD the Rev J QR card. Hell I'll send you one of the real ones if you want. Glossy, thick stock, and scannable from any QR reading device. If you download the card, other people can scan the QR off of your phone screen.

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...psa0238ecd.png

BR3W CITY 10-25-2013 06:34 PM

The harsh chill of winter approaches, so lets enjoy a few moments in the sun with a
v
v
v
Video!

A fall ride in-cab on the HatredCopter, on my way to find some bulk ammo.
ALWAYS CHOOSE HD! Please let me know if you have a problem getting HD as YT has been off its game lately.
LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE. I am now a Google Partner.

Jmorales3181 10-25-2013 07:17 PM

Thanks for letting us go for a cruise with you. Sounds great and looks like a lot of fun to drive...can't wait to be cruising mine again. videos like this keep me motivated!:metal:

Ta2Don 10-25-2013 08:59 PM

Thanks for the ride...:metal:
Motor sounds sweet!!!:metal::metal::metal:

mcbassin 10-28-2013 08:36 AM

Thanks for the fall cruise. That engine sounds mean. Looks like a blast to drive. I bet you get a bunch of thumbs up while driving it.

BR3W CITY 10-30-2013 08:37 PM

Thanks for the comments guys. I do get a few thumbs up on my trips, and I usually need a few extra minutes on my trips to talk to the people that approach me in the parking lots. 1st world problems :)

BR3W CITY 11-04-2013 05:52 PM

A while back I stopped at a cruise night, and strangely enough, a few more old chevy trucks decided to park next to me. I guess my truck made friends.....
v
v
v
Video

LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE

BR3W CITY 11-12-2013 05:47 PM

Yall know I hate breaks in content....

v
v
v
Video
Winterizing the truck, since WI is cold as all hell. Always Choose HD

LIKE COMMENT SUBSCRIBE

BR3W CITY 11-24-2013 08:37 PM

While I don't have anything to post on the build pic-wise...I will tickle the keys with some interesting and intentionally vague news.

1. I've been working with Hart Rod to get his blown 6.2 going (remotely). Hopefully we can iron out the kinks and have him on the road soon. Were taking advantage of the fact that he still has warm weather....and I live in an icecube, with nothing to do :)

2. I just got a phonecall saying "so Vortec owes me a HUGE favor...." Interesting. I had to verify that it was indeed the Automotive division...yup. I have this tingling feeling.

3. For those of you scratching your heads, or those that think they know what I mean; keep in mind that they don't make anything for use on the Lq4. Hmmmm....

4. Turns out that if you look hard enough, you can find CAD models of most of the LS engines and many of their accessories...it also turns out that if you look REALLY hard, you can get the ones FROM gm.

Could all be nothing....

but what if it isn't? :devil:

niterider65 11-25-2013 09:46 AM

OK you can close the door please it was 40 degrees in the shop yesterday and wind chill of 16 and I am out of propane :lol:
Trucks lookin good :metal: I know winter comes early there but
it was to freaking cold here this past weekend .
Bill :chevy:

BR3W CITY 01-17-2014 08:03 PM

I have an entire wrecked GTO sitting in my friends garage. Its blue with the full interior. Hit in front 1/4 pretty good, but didnt' collapse the core suppot. Anyone need anything? We bought it for $1, so parts are going cheap!

McMurphy 01-18-2014 12:12 AM

What year is it?
The guys over on the Performance Years site would clean you out on this one !!

BR3W CITY 01-18-2014 05:14 AM

I think 06, its an ls2 w/6spd

jamesjones 02-05-2014 03:57 AM

I'll take the heads if you decide to part the engine out.

BR3W CITY 02-06-2014 04:22 AM

Engine is getting held onto for now. Looks like my buddies transam is getting a big blower setup down the line, but he's decided to build the ls2 into a 408 for nitrous in the mean time. Sounds like he wants to save the blower build for a chassis car. God, his life must be hard :waah::waah:

Sounds like he wants about $4-4500 for the remaining entire car. I'm still waiting on him to take decent pictures, since I haven't been down to that shop in a while.

BR3W CITY 02-22-2014 01:41 AM

For anyone interested in that GTO, here are some pictures. We ask $4350 for the complete car with title (no drivetrain).

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...psf3b109fd.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...psfd149995.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps929859e9.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0f7191d8.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3d66e37b.jpg

siggyfreud 02-22-2014 03:03 AM

He interested in selling the front seats? Shipping would probably be a killer . . .

BR3W CITY 02-23-2014 06:14 PM

Front seats come with an entire GTO attached to them.

BR3W CITY 04-09-2014 12:56 AM

Wooohooo, it was over 50 today, finally! Got out to the garage for some pre-season scheduled maintenance. Did the usual oil change, but also decided that after 3 years and about 15k miles, I should do a tranny fluid change. It seems like low mileage, but it was a fresh rebuild and we had some issues with the overdrive early. The fluid looked good, but it never hurt. Snapped a couple pics along the way. This is what a nice clean 4l80e valve body looks like :)

http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps192ce94e.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps460b4725.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...psb8d79f78.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps73b42d4e.jpg
http://i1329.photobucket.com/albums/...ps21e41464.jpg

TJ's Chevy 04-09-2014 10:59 AM

Awesome!!! Its been in the 70's here in southern oregon! :metal:

BR3W CITY 04-09-2014 01:28 PM

OooooohhhhhhhYeeeeeaaaahhhhhhhh Anyone who doubts my winter storage procedures needs to check out this startup. Like butter.
**ALWAYS CHOOSE HD**

BR3W CITY 04-11-2014 06:46 PM

Decided to do some re-working on my interior. If you look closely, you can see a little bit of the leather on the knee-panels is peeling. This is a result of heat, and something that you'll get when using a backed-leather or backed-vinyl because of how thick it is. The thick material wants to "flatten" itself, meaning it will pull up from corners etc if the glue loses tac. I had been using regular CRC spray adhesive, but that was a mistake.

I picked up HeaderBond, and OH MAN is that stuff strong! I let it tack for only about 45 seconds (it says 5 minutes), and i almost glued my hand to my leg. Its designed for super high heat applications like dash pad covers and headliners. Its about $15 a can, but really really really is worth it.

I also pulled out the old in-dash setup we had. Looks in very nice shape: anyone looking for some stereo speakers for the dash?

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps43a0f3f2.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps5669a4d1.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...psad4b20e3.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...ps26b3963e.jpg

Classic-Steele 04-17-2014 09:26 PM

Read the whole thread and really love your truck, and the effort you've put into it! Keep it up!! Noticed you installed QA1'S up front. How do you like them? I've been considering them on my build as well.

BR3W CITY 04-18-2014 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Classic-Steele (Post 6634053)
Read the whole thread and really love your truck, and the effort you've put into it! Keep it up!! Noticed you installed QA1'S up front. How do you like them? I've been considering them on my build as well.

They made a huuuuuge difference up front. The funny thing is, I'm not really sure WHAT coils I have up front (one of like 5 parts I haven't replaced yet :) ).
Since I had been using those 275 series tires up front, the dampening and rebound was super important, or I could bottom the tall tire into the big sharp fender screw at the top of the wheel arch. Thats what happens when you have an uber tall tire and like 5" of drop.

When I added the qa1's, it kept me well over the danger zone at all times, and kept the ride height pretty much the same...sans about 1/4-1/2" which was "Sag" of the old shocks.
I'm planning on switching back the old 260 series tires probably this year, which drop the whole deal down about that 1/2" and flatten the suspension a bit. I'm excited to see how the qa1 works with it all. I already have the large sway bar up front, and I added that stabilizer to the steering and had it aligned...I'm hoping this should be a good improvement over the way I got it. The hydroboost makes the light-steering even lighter; I like it light with the small wheel I use, but I think I need to find a way to firm it up a touch, as right now its like pollowy and a bit hard to feel deep in a corner.

BR3W CITY 04-20-2014 01:15 AM

I've put most of the Truck-related video's into a nice playlist over on Youtube. If you haven't watched any of my videos, take a look over HERE

BR3W CITY 04-20-2014 02:55 PM

Finally figured out the dome light problem, simply put, the switch failed internally

66LSx 04-20-2014 03:01 PM

none of the new of the videos on your channel work? (startup to light switch all just sit on black screens)

BR3W CITY 04-20-2014 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66LSx (Post 6637779)
none of the new of the videos on your channel work? (startup to light switch all just sit on black screens)

do you have ad-block-plus or similar software installed in your browser? They block youtube embedded videos. If you can't turn it off, try clicking the "watch on youtube" button to watch it directly there.

I just tried it, and it works fine for me on Chrome and Firefox' latest versions. The 1080p do take a second to buffer/load unless you have a pretty quick connection.

BR3W CITY 04-29-2014 06:06 PM

I didn't take any pictures, but I'm gonna toss this up here as a little "note" or reminder to myself and anyone else for the future.

DO NOT USE MOST OFF-THE-SHELF SPRAY ADHESIVES FOR AUTO INTERIOR. USE SPECIALTY ADHESIVES DESIGNED FOR AUTO/RV/BOAT OR CERTAIN MILITARY OR MANUFACTURER GRADE GLUES IF BRUSHING ON.

Why? A few reasons;

1. Many non-specialty adhesives do not start with a proper chemical base for use on interiors. Many are ultra-thinned and the can is mostly Cfc's, and the two-part bonding adhesives off-gas waaay too much, and often dry brittle.

2. Most of them also are not designed to be used on materials that have the properties of leather. This is also a good time to mention that glue selection may also depend on the type of material and how its being used.

A) Leather requires a very strong glue, due to its gram weight, as well as its thickness and resilience to bending. It likes to pull-away around tight corners and can sag easily over time. A good specialty glue will be sprayed and cured for a few minutes (longer than most spray glue), then the leather is applied much like a veneer. Most leathers are backed, adding to the thickness and helping prevent soak-in. Unbacked leathers are fine for sewn-in interior features like seats, but will soak with many glues. A good specialty glue will minimize this, and there are a few designed for very porous leather.

B) Fabrics like Tweed (hot rod interiors) are also porous if they don't have a plasti-type backing. A good interior glue will spray THICK in a nice wide pattern, coating the SURFACE of the fabric, and minimize soaking. The quality of the glue also minimizes the total amount needed, limiting your chances of using too much, and again soaking. Because it can cure for 5-10 minutes, you don't have to rush coat it, or worry about not getting it applied in time. You have more than enough time to position, burnish, and trim.

C) HEAT. This is a HUUUUUGE factor here. Our old vehicles have thick metal shells with minimal insulation and the concept of "heat rejection" was not at the forefront of truck design. Add to this things like metal dash and door cards, and your ride can be a microwave after an hour or two in the sun. Interior temps can get above 140* (the older the car, the less of a chance the glass is UV treated). This is a serious threat to cheap adhesives. Headliners are especially at risk for this. A good glue will hold up under those temps and more. Convertibles, and boats with lots of exposed interior are also at high risk for sag/droop.

My knee-panels had a large amount of peel and sag after only 1 season with a generic glue. My upper and lower door cards also faced this issue, which I'm working to correct.

D) Moisture. This is another one for the boat/rv side, but still applies to any old ride. Primitive rain channels and drains (or the fact that we delete/shave them), mean water can easily sneak into the window channel and down across the upper and lower door cards. Cheap protein glues can be dissolved with a little moisture, let alone full exposure to water. Climate-extreme places like south Florida are in the crosshairs on this one.

E) Flexibility. I partially mentioned this above, but because nothing in a hot rod is really "stationary", the ability to move with the car is nice. It means that someone leaning on the center console won't "crinkly" the material, or ripple it. Same goes for something like a sun-visor, which is handled often. Cheap glues can crack or flake, or just peel up.

So there's my rant for today. Spend a few $'s more, and get a GOOD interior adhesive designed for the job. It may be like $15/can instead of $9, but you'll use LESS, and only end up doing the job once. You can find the stuff from your local auto upholstery supplier (if you have one). I'm lucky enough to have DLT Upholstery in my area, but they do online sales as well.