The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Restoring OEM Seatbelts (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=809750)

TKCR 03-18-2022 11:20 PM

Re: Restoring OEM Seatbelts

3 Attachment(s)
And the After pics.

TKCR 03-25-2022 10:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
1987 Blue set of seatbelts that were cleaned & Restored for someone.
Before & After

TKCR 03-29-2022 08:31 AM

5 Attachment(s)
1985 Charcoal Black belts that were restored for someone. Through cleaning and rust removal. Lubing of the mechanisms.
Before pics.

TKCR 03-29-2022 08:33 AM

5 Attachment(s)
And After

1972K20 03-29-2022 10:44 PM

Looks great!

Any tips for getting the retractor to work again? My passenger side (blue) is pulled all the way out and will not retract.

TKCR 03-30-2022 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1972K20 (Post 9058854)
Looks great!

Any tips for getting the retractor to work again? My passenger side (blue) is pulled all the way out and will not retract.

It’s best to send them to me.
It would require them to be removed from the truck anyways. The housing removed. If you don’t know what your doing, it can ruin the belt completely. Without seeing it, I’m 95% sure I can get it working again and after a through cleaning & freshening up, retracting good again.
PM me for details.

TKCR 04-04-2022 10:24 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Something a little different, and for someone that I have already done some work for. These are for a 1973 ElCamino that’s being restored, and will have a set of Swivel Bucket seats. The upper retractor is different for the swivel seats, so although he had retractors, they need to be swapped to the other style to work with the swivel seats. The retractors that are needed are also tan, so we are sending these to get rewebbed in black. I disassembled everything for through cleaning and rust removal from the mounts. 2 of the lower retractor covers were broken, so some minor plastic welding fixed those. Then cleaned, prepped and freshened them up in black. Buckles were also disassembled for cleaning. The buckle covers were replaced with nicer used covers, and they also received NEW emblems. Right now they are at the point of being sent for the new webbing. Can’t wait to get these back to see how they look. Will update when they are completed.
Now this is all a learning venture for me, because I don’t usually work on anything outside the Squarebodies.
Check out the progress so far. Don’t mind the tape and marked pictures, those were more for me for reference. I also added a picture of the Swivel Seat. They are so cool, I have seen these featured on a few Restoration Shows.

TKCR 04-04-2022 10:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
More pics of the ElCamino belts. Mostly after cleaning pics.

TKCR 04-04-2022 10:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More After pics, and a picture of the Swivel seats.
1st pic are the retractors that are being rewebbed in Black. So as soon as those are completed, I’ll update with pictures of the entire set assembled.

HOTFUN 04-04-2022 11:21 AM

Seatbelt showcase on a swivel bucket seat arrangement. Can't wait to install them! Awesome!

TKCR 04-07-2022 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Well they came back today. All I can say, is these look awesome!

TKCR 04-07-2022 06:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Also been working on a set of 78-79 CarmineRed belts for someone. These started about pretty decent for CarmineRed. The Reds seems to fade really bad, but these had hardly any fading.
Before pics

TKCR 04-07-2022 06:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And the After pics.

HOTFUN 04-07-2022 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 9063209)
Well they came back today. All I can say, is these look awesome!

They are one of a kind for a 1973 SS.
Awesome TKCR!

TKCR 04-07-2022 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOTFUN (Post 9063236)
They are one of a kind for a 1973 SS.
Awesome TKCR!

Mark, I think I am just going to find me an ElCamino. I already have some nice belts to go on it, lol. Just kidding. :lol:
I can’t wait to see it!

TKCR 04-11-2022 08:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got a couple more sets done for people. A very nice set of Charcoal and a set of Burgundy Retractors only. A forum member needed a set to make his rear crewcab belts 3 points.

HOTFUN 04-16-2022 05:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And the replacement spring for my truck buckets is perfect. Sure is nice having brand new parts to replace rusty old ones and be spot on correct. Thanks Tina!

TKCR 04-16-2022 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOTFUN (Post 9067934)
And the replacement spring for my truck buckets is perfect. Sure is nice having brand new parts to replace rusty old ones and be spot on correct. Thanks Tina!

Your welcome!

TKCR 04-18-2022 08:24 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Been slowing getting everything together for a complete front & rear set of belts for a 72 Blazer. This has been quite the learning experience for me, because I don’t normally work on Blazer belts, especially this old. He’s restoring the entire interior and was in need of Parchment belts. He sent me an armrest to be used for color matching of dye and webbing. I had some belts, but had to use other colors because they will all have to be rewebbed anyways. It is just too hard to get belts that light in color completely clean. So here is what I have done so far. I have all the belts layed out for the front & rear. Buckles were disassembled for rust removal . The male ends will get replaced with new, they were pitted. All the buckle covers were dyed in Parchment, and will receive all new emblems.
They are off getting the new webbing. I should get them back this week, so stay turned for the finale. I can’t wait to see them!!
Last pic is the interior he is going for.

Thealien 04-19-2022 06:26 AM

I love looking at your before and after pictures. I just want to point out something regarding Blazer‘s. The passenger side plastic cover that holds the belt out from the retractor is shorter on the passenger side. This is to accommodate getting into the rear seat when the passenger side seat folds forward. I see both of the covers are the same length in your picture and just wanted to point it out in case you’re going for 100% correct. I have always wondered if you would be able to cut one down and have it look correct?

Can’t wait to see the after pictures.

TKCR 04-19-2022 08:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thealien (Post 9068929)
I love looking at your before and after pictures. I just want to point out something regarding Blazer‘s. The passenger side plastic cover that holds the belt out from the retractor is shorter on the passenger side. This is to accommodate getting into the rear seat when the passenger side seat folds forward. I see both of the covers are the same length in your picture and just wanted to point it out in case you’re going for 100% correct. I have always wondered if you would be able to cut one down and have it look correct?

Can’t wait to see the after pictures.

Thanks, yes I’m already aware of that. And I also told the guy that is getting the belts that, but he didn’t seem to care. I even have the shorter one, but this is what he wanted.
The cover and retractor are different, so I would say no on cutting them down shorter. And new covers are available, in black, and then they need dyed to match. Which is what I did for another set I did for someone. His little covers were in pretty bad shape.

georgieb51 04-19-2022 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8782805)
These pics are just after a good cleaning and prepping, before the dye process. These are also getting new upper anchor covers.

What is involved in the dye process? Is it a liquid dye- or a spray dye? And it won't come off on my pants when I actually use them? They all look very impressive.

TKCR 04-19-2022 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by georgieb51 (Post 9069196)
What is involved in the dye process? Is it a liquid dye- or a spray dye? And it won't come off on my pants when I actually use them? They all look very impressive.

No it doesn’t come off on your clothes, lol. If it did I say I wouldn’t be doing these for very long. My set was the very first set I ever did, and that was 4-5 years ago. I never once had anything on my clothing.
I sent you a PM.

hatzie 04-19-2022 06:03 PM

That Blue Tartan cloth is one of my favorites from the 67-72 rigs.
Parchment belts are probably pretty difficult to keep clean. Like having white carpet in the dining room. They look gorgeous tho.

TKCR 04-19-2022 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 9069219)
Parchment belts are probably pretty difficult to keep clean. Like having white carpet in the dining room. They look gorgeous tho.

It would be hard to keep clean, that’s a fact. I wonder if spraying a scotch guard would help? Either that, or I would be using them very gingerly!

tchevs 04-20-2022 10:08 AM

How much do you charge to restore a set? My truck is a 68

TKCR 04-20-2022 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tchevs (Post 9069552)
How much do you charge to restore a set? My truck is a 68

If you could send a PM or contact me via Messaging on my Facebook page for the belts. The link is on my Signature, there at the bottom.

TKCR 04-21-2022 08:49 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Look at these!! Wow, these turned out great!

Soundmound 04-22-2022 08:44 AM

Wow! I hope it's a show truck and not a daily, those belts are mint!

TKCR 04-22-2022 09:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundmound (Post 9070216)
Wow! I hope it's a show truck and not a daily, those belts are mint!

Not really sure. He’s having a Blazer Restored, but not sure on what level. He just said he wanted it to match his Parchment interior. I had most of the belts, but had to add a couple other colors. There were going to have to get new webbing regardless, it’s just too hard to get stains out of a color that light. Not sure I would ever use them if they were in my truck, I’d be afraid of touching them and getting them dirty lol.

hatzie 04-22-2022 12:13 PM

Whoever you have re-webbing them did a nice job.

You had a good idear. I think I would treat that light a color with Scotchgard if it wouldn't cause blotches. Might be worth getting a chunk of unused new belt material to test it out on.

TKCR 04-22-2022 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 9070286)
Whoever you have re-webbing them did a nice job.

You had a good idear. I think I would treat that light a color with Scotchgard if it wouldn't cause blotches. Might be worth getting a chunk of unused new belt material to test it out on.

Thats what I'm thinking also.

LT7A 04-25-2022 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 9069219)

No doubt. I soaked and cleaned my saddle colored belts real nicely. So now the stains REALLY stand out, haha.

TKCR 04-25-2022 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9071293)
No doubt. I soaked and cleaned my saddle colored belts real nicely. So now the stains REALLY stand out, haha.

Theres several things I use for stains. I can get 99% out. But like you said the lighter colors, the stains now just stand out. But that's where the dyeing does help. But on white, nothing will help those, lol.

TKCR 05-04-2022 07:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I like doing these 67-72 Belts. Cool lookin belts. These are the Bright Blue. They started out pretty dirty, so they were throughly cleaned & rust removed from the mounts and chrome pieces. The buckle covers were broken, so I replaced those. And they also got new emblems.

TKCR 05-04-2022 07:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
And here is the After pics

TKCR 05-07-2022 10:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
He got his belts today, and he sent me a picture. Looks good!

LT7A 05-09-2022 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 9076651)
He got his belts today, and he sent me a picture. Looks good!

Wow, that whole setup just glows. Beautiful.

TKCR 05-24-2022 08:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
79-86 Charcoal Black. Before & After

TKCR 06-01-2022 08:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Restored this set of Burgundy for someone.
Before & After