The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=773345)

Metaldoc 03-20-2019 09:09 AM

Re: What did you do to your truck today.The 3rd chapter

2 Attachment(s)
Too nice outside to work on the truck today so I

Ol Blue K20 03-20-2019 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8490824)

I'll pm my address so you can send samples. ....:lol:. Looks absolutely delicious

custom10nut 03-20-2019 10:44 AM

I finally got my new Custom Autosound Radio installed. Due to space (I have the stock, incab gas tank), I took out the Amp and Sub that I had for the old system. Very pleased with the sound, and the best thing, for me anyway, is it looks like the factory radio. So call me an Old School purist.:metal:
Oh, and I also scored a NOS rear view mirror (in the box) for $20, and put that in too.:chevy:

Boog 03-20-2019 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8490824)

Aw now thats’s just cold bleed showing us food looking that good, out of reach and right here at lunch time for me too. Yum yum.

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-20-2019 11:34 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Finished the calipers. To the letter two coats Por-15 prevention and two more "caliper paint". Sure hope the brake pads fit:lol: Its supposed to leave a ceramic look. It does give a hard look. First time I've used Por-15 rust prevention paint, talk about an easy spread. Now I know it doesn't hold a candle to Master Series primer, but what does?:devil:

My old steering box and pump were returned yesterday.

There shouldn't be more than a few months work before I take a vacation from it. Paint prison will do that. I don't mind the break;)Stuffs expensive man, kind of involved. Sure like the results of things though, and learn something new every day....................I've nearly finished my first front brake job:lol:

HYPR 03-21-2019 12:24 AM

So need some advice, as with others I have seen the factory tape on the lower trim on my '72 C20 has dried up and is flaking off. I have begun removing the remains with a heat gun and putty knife. So opinions needed, reinstall new tape or spray paint the black stripes?

Martyt 03-21-2019 12:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I bought one— that’s what I did. 72’ K10, original 350, short bed,tach, tilt, throttle knob (not sure why since no PTO on it), protecto-plate, original owner with most receipts. Not a garage queen but not cheap. It should be delivered in a few weeks. I had the same truck in high school except it was long bed and blue. Am super stoked!!

Ol Blue K20 03-21-2019 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I cleaned up some hub caps and installed on the truck......

HYPR 03-21-2019 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyt (Post 8491403)
I bought one— that’s what I did. 72’ K10, original 350, short bed,tach, tilt, throttle knob (not sure why since no PTO on it), protecto-plate, original owner with most receipts. Not a garage queen but not cheap. It should be delivered in a few weeks. I had the same truck in high school except it was long bed and blue. Am super stoked!!

Congratulations looks like a great find.
Bob

3757chevy 03-21-2019 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martyt (Post 8491403)

Cool , nice find ,:welcoem: to the site.

70STOVEBOLT 03-21-2019 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 8491499)
I cleaned up some hub caps and installed on the truck......

Is it an optical illusion, or does the front wheel stick out past the fender about 6"?

fourspeedwagon 03-21-2019 11:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I had gone to buy a “good running but rusty” 73 c10. Guy went to start it and Clang Clang Clang. He shut it off and says “well, threw a rod- guess I’ll call the scrap yard”. I told him I thought it sounded like a cracked flex plate. I offered him what he figured the yard would give him and brought it home. Parted out the body and kept the rolling chassis and drivetrain.
Today I had a day off and the sun was shining so after some yard chores, I pulled the engine out of the chassis. When I split the trans off I found that there were only 2 bolts holding the converter to the plate. Both were finger tight and neither were the correct bolts- one fine thread, one coarse, both half stripped!
Pretty sure I’ve got another plate around. The green 71 c20 is where it’s headed.

SoCoC10 03-23-2019 10:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Exterior assembly is complete. Moving on to the interior installation. Can't wait to see the Truck World Super Saddle seat in it.

zicc1835 03-23-2019 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoCoC10 (Post 8492860)
Exterior assembly is complete. Moving on to the interior installation. Can't wait to see the Truck World Super Saddle seat in it.

Nice looking seat👍

SlowGreen71 03-23-2019 08:39 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Whipped up engine and trans mount. Stock a/c compressor fits. Pan is about an inch below the crossmember. We’ll see how it looks when it’s back on some wheels. Next up turbo log manifold.

KQQL IT 03-23-2019 09:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Added some stripes to Old Blue. Kinda follows the original stuff.

Thrill4130 03-24-2019 12:16 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Picked up a camper shell for my shortbed that needs trimmed up a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Greasey Harley 03-24-2019 05:12 AM

Sanded and primed the grill on the 68. decided to paint it matte black instead of white, just to be different.
reinstalled the bright work.
reorganized the parts
...and gave it some love.
Glad to have some warmer weather as my little shop has no heat and uses extension cords for power.

I really love my old '68 C10 and am happy to have the opportunity to wrench on it :-) .
I find it weirdly therapeutic to work on old junk, it makes me think of a simpler time. I don't know why trucks had to get so complicated, I don't understand the need for electronic everything
The newest truck I own is a 1991, and I'm going to sell that soon.(then my newest truck will be a '79 K10)

I really like my old trucks. I think I'll keep running carburetors and points with manual gear boxes. The rest of the world can have all that fancy computerized crap cluttering up their dashboards and distracting them from a beautiful day and a nice drive.
Me?
I'll be rolling around 5mph under the limit, with both windows down ('cuz I ain't got no AC), some classic rock on the radio, and a smile on my face.

nlped 03-24-2019 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasey Harley (Post 8493391)

Me?
I'll be rolling around 5mph under the limit, with both windows down ('cuz I ain't got no AC), some classic rock on the radio, and a smile on my face.

I agree with you. But I have to have a/c down here. We have HUMIDITY and I sweat. I’ve been trying to get the family to move up to your area for years because it’s so beautiful. My pops lives in Hayden, ID.

BC10 03-25-2019 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greasey Harley (Post 8493391)
Sanded and primed the grill on the 68. decided to paint it matte black instead of white, just to be different.
reinstalled the bright work.
reorganized the parts
...and gave it some love.
Glad to have some warmer weather as my little shop has no heat and uses extension cords for power.

I really love my old '68 C10 and am happy to have the opportunity to wrench on it :-) .
I find it weirdly therapeutic to work on old junk, it makes me think of a simpler time. I don't know why trucks had to get so complicated, I don't understand the need for electronic everything
The newest truck I own is a 1991, and I'm going to sell that soon.(then my newest truck will be a '79 K10)

I really like my old trucks. I think I'll keep running carburetors and points with manual gear boxes. The rest of the world can have all that fancy computerized crap cluttering up their dashboards and distracting them from a beautiful day and a nice drive.
Me?

:metal::metal::metal:

JustToxic 03-25-2019 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Cut the passenger rear corner out of the cab this weekend, all in the name of rust.

Grumpy old man 03-25-2019 10:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JustToxic (Post 8494161)
Cut the passenger rear corner out of the cab this weekend, all in the name of rust.

:lol:

BC10 03-25-2019 02:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Had a block party all weekend.

Metaldoc 03-25-2019 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BC10 (Post 8494366)
Had a block party all weekend.

Might be better off getting it blasted back to steel

BC10 03-25-2019 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Metaldoc (Post 8494393)
Might be better off getting it blasted back to steel

Agreed, but I am almost there... :lol:

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-25-2019 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just finished this water pump. I brushed it on, meaning I had to do the bottom first and treat the metal twice. Thought for sure the metal prep would leave a mark on the painted backside. This POR15 is bullet proof, didn't leave a mark.

Grumpy old man 03-25-2019 07:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Rotors on , Willwood brakes should be done tomorrow getting close to dropping it back on the ground ! Next to finish the Redhead power steering .:metal:

89AKurt 03-25-2019 11:07 PM

Fun to see real work being done by others. Love the meme "buy a C-10, it will be fun, they said".
Does this qualify for doing something, added Angry Bird eyes.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7905/...a3414b32_c.jpg

SoCoC10 03-25-2019 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
First bath

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-26-2019 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy old man (Post 8494537)
Rotors on , Willwood brakes should be done tomorrow getting close to dropping it back on the ground ! Next to finish the Redhead power steering .:metal:

Nice Grumps

Grumpy old man 03-26-2019 07:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8494756)
Nice Grumps

Thanks , I'm sure you can attest it sure would be nice if all these costly steering and suspension / brake parts came pre painted / coated . I just can't bring myself to bolt it all together raw and then watch it rust up . I'm building these trucks to be driven and still look good down the road , I have plans for the next one as a Sunny Sunday only cruiser :chevy:

Thrill4130 03-26-2019 09:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got the top and one side trimmed down to fit on shortbed.
Posted via Mobile Device

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-27-2019 07:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Met this guy who lives two miles from me that does ceramic, powder, paint, weld, metal fab. etc. etc. His shop is behind his house with a complete set-up and no expense spared. Anyway, he sent these pics. of my manifolds.

The first pic is of the RH manifold down to metal. I found it in complete ignorance early in my education. I was convinced the RH manifold on my truck was a replacement, because the part number wasn't in sequence with the left:lol:.........At any rate, GM did make a RH manifold that was in sequence (RH 45, LH 46). Same manifold as the more common 353030, only earlier production. Better shape than my 30, so worked out anyhow......Plus they match;)

cornerstone 03-27-2019 11:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Disassembled front clip, minor rust repair, sanded and primed core support and inner wheel wells.

3757chevy 03-28-2019 12:05 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I installed new hood springs , replaced dimmer switch , and installed brake lever cover.

Speedracer39 03-28-2019 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally installed my new motor. Need to order a new set of headers and finish installing the accessories

BugzC10 03-28-2019 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Took er out for an oil change & Lube.....Valvoline VR1

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-28-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BugzC10 (Post 8496574)
Took er out for an oil change & Lube.....Valvoline VR1

Nice truck

BugzC10 03-28-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 (Post 8496578)
Nice truck

Thanks! Looks it’s best at 20+ feet...LOL

71CHEVYSHORTBED402 03-29-2019 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Had these ceramic coated. Zep suggested that early in my ed. and glad to have done it. Early take off heat stove and nice, but you got to get through the rust. He put an extra coat on it, and as stoves go it has a nice heavy feel.

Just for looks, I always wanted the stove and pipe, but with ceramic this and that, I suspect it won't support a divorce choke. Would really like a divorce choke, learn how they work and that, but the parts were missing when I tore this down anyway. So unless you guys can talk me out of it;) stove pipe with an elect. choke.