The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   4x4 Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   72 K30 Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=645614)

RedRoad 09-16-2015 01:56 PM

Re: 72 K30 Build

Thanks! Any reason you didnt go with the 40 gal burb tank?

7dee2 09-17-2015 09:39 AM

5 Attachment(s)
My initial thoughts were to run the 40 gallon tank. But when we got into it I was concerned it would end up too close to the differential (we are 1.5” further back). It also looked like we’d have to set the rear crossmember even further back in the frame than this tank. It could have fit but this one gives us more room for the exhaust, a little trim room (frame rail ends) for the bed I don’t have yet and is still a big a** tank.

Here’s how this has turned out so far. Still need to flip the frame to finish mounting a few things like the spring hanger L-brackets, rear bump stops and rear crossmember (lower) but the tank is done for now.

And if your wondering is that angle strong enough, I did? A gallon of gas should weigh between 5.8 to 6.5 lbs. depending on its temp etc. so 31 x 6.5 = 201.5 lbs . Our test to simulate real world conditions consisted of a fat 250 pounder jumping up and down on it. :lol:

The results are in the pics below, never budged good to go!

7dee2 09-21-2015 10:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We started off last week by drilling out the front crossmember and steering box brace to 7/16”. Also installed the front bump stops (no pic) but still need to weld up some holes to mount the donor brake line brackets.

And that leads to surprise, surprise more holes to fill. :lol: We won’t be doing them all (skipping frame alignment holes, etc.) but if it’s near a new drilled hole or very large (needing a plug) we’ll be filling it.

DWilbur 09-22-2015 01:47 AM

It's a pain in the A** to weld up them hole. I must have welded in about 40+ holes in my frame and had to buy a new roll of wire for my welder and a bottle fo argon C02.

7dee2 09-22-2015 08:26 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Yep ditto on the PITA! Almost outta wire and shielding gas, double ditto! :lol:

We did some minor bracket repair that needed doing. A little crack and a worn area on the k-member also welded a shim to the steering box brace.

Started back on the frame and CRAPO our welder (Eastwood 175) biffed it! Cooked the circuit board and a replacement cannot be had until the end of year at the soonest. Oh and of course it’s 3 months out of warranty. :waah:

So guess who’s getting a new welder and it ain't coming from Eastwood!

First c10 09-22-2015 12:41 PM

Hey Brett looking good! I have a question about your gas tank. I see that the tank is hanging low. Did you do that so the fill neck would not be to high so not to hit the bed? I raised my tank up but will have to cut the fill neck down to fit under the bed floor.
Keep it up my friend, as I don't have time to work on mine with coaching football and all. but I do get time at work to check out your build and others!!!

DWilbur 09-22-2015 03:21 PM

I hope I did not bring you bad luck with your welder breaking down. that sucks. what are you going to get.

ryanroo 09-23-2015 08:21 AM

sucks that the welder died, but at least its time for an upgrade! what machines are you looking at?

7dee2 09-23-2015 11:02 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by First c10 (Post 7316778)
Hey Brett looking good! I have a question about your gas tank. I see that the tank is hanging low. Did you do that so the fill neck would not be to high so not to hit the bed? I raised my tank up but will have to cut the fill neck down to fit under the bed floor.
Keep it up my friend, as I don't have time to work on mine with coaching football and all. but I do get time at work to check out your build and others!!!

Thanks First c10, I can hardly wait to see some more progress on the Hulkster!

Thought it would be wise to install the tank low so installing a new flatbed would not require a lot if any mods as I’ll probably drive it to the vendor and have the bed installed there (todays plan uno). This setup could be raised really easily by replacing the upper cross braces with some bar stock or angle and bolting them on top of the frame rails. Also we could spin the tank 180 and have the fill on the left losing the clearance notch at the back? Didn’t want any tank mods as we have the pull it off the shelf and install the part mentality going on so last thought is that if it’s really low once done we can still add a skid plate from a donor Blazer or Burban which is still on the table.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 7316942)
I hope I did not bring you bad luck with your welder breaking down. that sucks. what are you going to get.

No it died before your comments but you were spot on! :lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanroo (Post 7317596)
sucks that the welder died, but at least its time for an upgrade! what machines are you looking at?

Wanted a Miller 212 (sticker shock :confused:) but picked up a Lincoln 180 last week so a little bit of an upgrade at least this one can be fixed! :lol: Nice surprise is the old mig and aluminum gun look to fit the new welder.

While we figured out the welder situation got onto installing a few more things. Can't believe this HF 1/2" drill is still going strong bought it to punch holes in wood studs years ago when we wired the house and garage. Was sure this frame project would kill it but there it is!

DWilbur 09-23-2015 04:51 PM

I got my dads mig welder after he passed in 1998. he bought it in 1981 Miller 200. I have had to have it serviced several time over the years. that's good to hear about the HF drill is still going strong. I bought a 4" HF grinder when I started my frame off and it died 4 week later. my Millwakee grinder is about 10 year old and still going strong.

7dee2 09-28-2015 10:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Amazing your HF grinder made it that far, last time we tried one about 3 years ago it lasted about an hour! :lol:

Decided it’s time to remove the rest of the factory rivets that are holding the rails together. From our earlier mockup we found this mid crossmember (carrier bearing mount) could be a problem for a one piece (very loooong) rear drive line and would have to be relocated, flipped over, removed or perhaps partially replaced with the lower dropped part (w/o the taller side brackets) of a later version we happen to have left over from our 72 RV 157” chassis.

7dee2 09-29-2015 09:37 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some more info, we are still planning for a GVOD their customer service dept. said they advise the customer to shorten the driveline by 14”. We won’t know for sure until we drop the cash :thud: get it here, bolt it up and see what’s what. Plan is to deal with this during the final assembly stage. Here is a pic I borrowed of an installed unit in a 67-72 my guess is a K20.

7dee2 09-30-2015 08:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Before we separate the frame rails I thought I would take a pic of the front all welded/plugged up and with the rear of the frame still to go, holy moly! Sorry my camera was having a hard time focusing with the flash off. I can report our new little Lincoln welder is doing a great job. Making some 1” plugs..

7dee2 10-05-2015 11:19 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I’ve wanted to add some 3/16” bar stock where the trans/tc mounts. Thinking this will help to distribute some weight a little along the lower frame flange when it’s all back together. Frame rails are now separated should make some of our work easier.

7dee2 10-06-2015 11:49 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some progress shots.

72MARIO 10-06-2015 10:12 PM

Awesome build. This buld thread is going to make my swap much easier Thanks !!!!

I am going to be doing the exact same swap. I have a 1968 longhorn frame and a 1981ish 1 ton militay frame to use as a doner. I am planning on using a 4L80 for overdrive because the gearvendors in my suburban has given me to many issues. Also parts availablity and cost is difficult to outrageous with the gearvendors in Canada.

7dee2 10-07-2015 11:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks 72Mario that's part of the reason I decided to post it all, the good, the bad and the ugly! :lol: Sorry to hear your GVOD isn't working out the way you had hoped, at least they're a lot closer to us so if I have to I could pay them a visit. :devil:

Here's a link of the Roadkill guys installing one and discussing the issues they can have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SywsCGnoXOU

A little more progress, also gives me a chance to fuss over some earlier work as well as remove the grind marks.

7dee2 10-15-2015 10:02 AM

5 Attachment(s)
We confiscated the grandkids sandbox last week to setup camp sand blast, o boy this should be lots of fun! :lol: My neighbors love me! :devil:
We usually farm out the chassis but since this one is in pieces decided to do it ourselves.

DWilbur 10-15-2015 10:39 AM

your yard is looking like mine. sand blaster set up I even have the same HD bucket and funnel to recycle the blasting media. looking good.

deejaaa1 10-18-2015 01:16 PM

you are doing great work! subbed to see the rest of your build.
I have a GV unit in my 93. still running a 4:10 rear with 4L80. drops rpm by 500 but been so long since it ran, can't remember what the freeway rpm's were.

7dee2 10-19-2015 10:46 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks you guys!

deejaaa1 a diesel and OD x2 for you, I can only imagine what the freeway rpm would be with a tall tire & 4.10 my guess is pretty darn low!

So DWilbur you’re saying you’re a neighborhood favorite also LOL! :devil:

Back at it day 2 and the pile of done parts is starting to grow. Clean parts we got from D&L Truck will go really fast, doing them all so they will look the same as the others when painted.

Dieselwrencher 10-19-2015 04:59 PM

Great work on your frame! It's going to look awesome!

7dee2 10-20-2015 10:15 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks DW!

OK day 3, one rail and all of the cross members are done. The best part of this is the manually sifting and reloading of the hopper a lot, good times!

7dee2 10-21-2015 11:47 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Day 4, 5 & 6-ish still just living the dream! ;) Second rail completed and the done parts pile is looking pretty good. Our bucket seat frames need a little attention but not too bad really.

Dieselwrencher 10-21-2015 02:25 PM

That all looks really nice!

cmabolt 10-22-2015 07:39 AM

Yup, that's a ton of blasting, but it look like you were thorough. What are ya gonna spray on all this nice parts?

Chris

DWilbur 10-22-2015 02:59 PM

I feel ya on sifting the media and refilling the hopper. I lost count and buying more and more media. look'n good.

7dee2 10-26-2015 11:37 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7348885)
That all looks really nice!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmabolt (Post 7349666)
Yup, that's a ton of blasting, but it look like you were thorough. What are ya gonna spray on all this nice parts?

Chris

Thanks DW & Chris! Went with Zero-Rust and their Prep-Step for this and the next few projects with several gallons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 7350071)
I feel ya on sifting the media and refilling the hopper. I lost count and buying more and more media. look'n good.

I know totally lost track of how many times we had to reload. Really didn’t use much media only about 2.5 bags went into this round. At around $9 a 100 lb. bag (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unimin-10...4095/202080636) that’s a pretty cheap way to strip parts.

Our grade 8 frame bolts & lock/wiz nuts arrived the other day so we need to start getting stuff painted.
Told my wife I was going out to the garage to take a pic of my nutz for you guys and she said that’s fine she’d leave me alone! :baa:

DWilbur 10-26-2015 01:32 PM

That is a cheep way to blast using silica sand. I did not want to use silica do to the hazards of silica dust warnings we get at work these days. I used iron oxide for blasting. In 10 years we will hear about how bad iron oxide is.

mjensen 10-26-2015 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7354090)
Told my wife I was going out to the garage to take a pic of my nutz for you guys and she said that’s fine she’d leave me alone! :baa:

Haha! Classic!

7dee2 10-27-2015 12:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DWilbur (Post 7354212)
That is a cheep way to blast using silica sand. I did not want to use silica do to the hazards of silica dust warnings we get at work these days. I used iron oxide for blasting. In 10 years we will hear about how bad iron oxide is.

Good that you brought up the silica sand danger I should have said something. So here goes this stuff is wicked bad for you even with an extra layer of clothes, head gear (face shield, etc.), gloves and a respirator this crap turns to concrete in your lungs. Your probably right about the iron oxide also, dust of any kind is not good and everything causes cancer right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mjensen (Post 7354809)
Haha! Classic!

Couldn't help myself! :lol:

Here’s what we found needing repair on the seat frames all the arrows are busted spot welds and the circle is where that frame broke. First 3 pics are all one seat last pic is the 2nd seat.

Dieselwrencher 10-27-2015 06:41 PM

That's too funny about your hardware pic. :lol:

7dee2 10-28-2015 10:46 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 7355855)
That's too funny about your hardware pic. :lol:

Yeah buddy, I'm pretty proud of those nutz! :lol:

Here’s how they look after some repair. Same as yesterday first 3 pics are all one seat (frame on top) last one is the 2nd seat.

Dieselwrencher 10-28-2015 08:56 PM

Looking good.

7dee2 11-03-2015 10:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
So thought we were done sand blasting but decided to blast the core support instead of waiting to send it out with the rest of sheet metal. Would be nice to mount a radiator and battery for breaking in a new or used motor in the chassis. Thinking we can fix any leaks without the sheet metal being in the way.

JJorgensen52 11-03-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 7dee2 (Post 7363456)
So thought we were done sand blasting but decided to blast the core support instead of waiting to send it out with the rest of sheet metal. Would be nice to mount a radiator and battery for breaking in a new or used motor in the chassis. Thinking we can fix any leaks without the sheet metal being in the way.

Can you please export me some sheetmetal?? I'm pretty sure I've got new repop sheetmetal that has more rust than that :lol:

Looking good!

7dee2 11-04-2015 11:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey Jim! Yep this old RV cab has been a sweetheart other than the little hole in the back of the cab! It's the complete opposite of our ½ ton project that took almost every patch you can buy.

Blasted the bucket seat repair areas again and glad we did. I’m guessing the one taking all the repair was the passenger seat blazer frame found it does have a crack on the other side as well kind of hard to see in the pic but there. No biggie all welded up and moving on to some paint.

7dee2 11-05-2015 10:47 AM

3 Attachment(s)
So here’s the temporary paint booth setup. We’d setup a 10’x10’ enclosure (2x4s & visqueen) from an earlier project that adapted to the lift really easily. Mounted a pipe to the lift ceiling (or floor?) to suspend the lighter parts from, got a couple of the cheap HF purple guns, cheapo fan from Lowe’s this sure isn’t a high dollar operation! :lol:

ryanroo 11-05-2015 08:36 PM

I dig it!

7dee2 11-09-2015 12:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks Ryan me too!

Best part of this deal is we just beat the cold weather. It’s been in the 40’s outside but with both ceiling fans on high and the heater going we’re in the 60’s. Overspray is going where we wanted and haven’t even needed to drop the front plastic yet. With the fans going all the building air is helping to push it out our exhaust fan. Trying to spray in the back of the booth as much as possible I’m sure is helping also. Pleased with the seat frames, we ordered new foam from forum member Truckseats back when he had a spiff running just need to get some covers ordered I'm guessing.