The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=828459)

mr.mud1 12-27-2022 01:30 AM

Re: 1972 Cheyenne Super coming apart to go back together

2 Attachment(s)
just a little progress,family here for the holidays so shop time is a little limited,my choice.the truck will be there when they go home but i borrowed my wife's hands for a few minutes this evening and we got the front fenders in place,certainly not in the right place or tight,i'll get it all pieced together and start then adjusting and fitting it all like it should be.even a little progress,is progress.take care all.Greg

mr.mud1 12-27-2022 06:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
not too much to report on today,i made some shims for the front sheetmetal and spent several hours working on a set of hubcaps i'm doing for this truck.i have them stripped of the original paint,started polishing and working out a couple small marks,soon they'll be ready for the new black and blue decal set i bought for them.

68bowtie 12-28-2022 02:01 AM

Those caps are looking good!

mr.mud1 12-28-2022 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9160358)
Those caps are looking good!

thank you sir,i bought 10 here and there and found enough to do up a set.i have too much to do,to be fooling with hubcaps but yesterday felt like a hubcap day??back to work today.take care.

SRU1436 12-30-2022 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.mud1 (Post 9160280)
not too much to report on today,i made some shims for the front sheetmetal and spent several hours working on a set of hubcaps i'm doing for this truck.i have them stripped of the original paint,started polishing and working out a couple small marks,soon they'll be ready for the new black and blue decal set i bought for them.

Is the black and blue a decal set? Where did you get the decals? Do you mind sharing a link? Thank you.

mr.mud1 12-30-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SRU1436 (Post 9161039)
Is the black and blue a decal set? Where did you get the decals? Do you mind sharing a link? Thank you.

hi,PM sent.

mr.mud1 01-07-2023 08:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
there's not alot of progress to report although i've worked longer than i care to admit on a set of hubcaps when there's lot of other things to do?they're done now,the tail light bezel clips and new reverse and tail light lens's have arrived. my new Leo Hoffman license plate frame arrived,the dealer where my truck was sold new.i still have my wife's folks here til Monday when we drive them back to the airport,then it'll be back to more serious work.

mr.mud1 01-10-2023 07:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
a few more pieces of the puzzle today,polished and installed the moldings on the back of the cab under the rear window,cab corner moldings,NOS tail lights bezels.started working on the brackets to re-install the rear bumper,got the front bumper ready to re-install and working on routing and hooking up some of the wiring,as much as i can til the inner fenders go in.i hope to have to the inner fenders in place this week,the grille on the truck and start lining up front fenders,setting door gaps.it'll all come together.

mr.mud1 01-17-2023 07:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
some more progress today.inner fenders and grille installed,pass side fender adjusted and gaps set as well as some more of the plumbing put together.wheels painted but not ready for a picture,maybe tomorrow.i plan to adjust the drivers side fender maybe tomorrow and bleed brakes and perhaps get to the bumpers.it's just about ready to fire up again.

best view 01-17-2023 08:07 PM

Well one thing for certain you will know this truck inside and out

mr.mud1 01-17-2023 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by best view (Post 9167985)
Well one thing for certain you will know this truck inside and out

yes sir,there's no place on this truck i haven't touched at least TWICE. a 100 years from now,we'll look back at the mess and laugh.take care.Greg

mr.mud1 01-18-2023 07:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
maybe it'll take 200 years til i laugh?it seems to be a recurring theme on this truck,1 step ahead 2 or 3 steps back.i have been called it "Uncle Bill's" truck after talking to the nephew of the original owner in Santa Ana,California but i think i'll call it 2 step?i was buttoning up the front sheetmetal,not happy with the gap on the pass side fender so went back at it to hopefully make it better,just getting the bolts tight when the bolt in the threaded hole at the bottom of the fender where it goes to the cowl,stripped??so off with the fender to repair the stripped threaded hole.repairs made and the fender is back on,tomorrow we'll adjust again and hopefully get a gap between the door and fender i can be happy with.my wheels are painted and i'm leaving them alone.they're fine and i think will look good with the hubcaps i did for it.more progress tomorrow hopefully,no more 2 steps,i hope??

mr.mud1 01-19-2023 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
some more progress today,re-installed pass fender and the grille after repairing the stripped threaded hole in the bottom of the fender.the front end is all buttoned up,everyting is tight and fender gaps are set.front bumper installed.all the wiring and plumbing is completed.bleeding brakes and installing the hood and cowl piece might come tomorrow or over the weekend and then we'll move onto putting the inards back in the doors.it'll all come together.

mr.mud1 01-21-2023 05:46 PM

5 Attachment(s)
some more progress today,other than putting on the tune-up decal,Tonawanda # 1 decal and others,everything under the hood is done,wired,plumbed,ready to start up.brakes bled and wheels and tires back on and torqued.the hood will go on the next time there's an extra set of hands here.i think tomorrow i'll move the truck away from the lift so i can open the doors and start putting the doors back together.

cornerstone 01-22-2023 10:31 AM

Absolutely Beautiful work! Such a great color too!!

RCbowtie69 01-22-2023 11:31 AM

Nice truck !!!! Keep on Truckin'' :metal:

mr.mud1 01-22-2023 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornerstone (Post 9169814)
Absolutely Beautiful work! Such a great color too!!

thanks Brian,i appreciate it.it's a good thing i like green.i have a 67 impala wagon,it's green too(original color) and have had a bunch of 67-72 trucks over the years.i think 1/2 of them were green?it's all good.take care.Greg

68bowtie 01-23-2023 12:46 AM

Man these details are sexy

Happy_dan 01-23-2023 09:23 AM

Looks amazing!

mr.mud1 01-23-2023 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68bowtie (Post 9170200)
Man these details are sexy

thanks,i think it's sexy too,my wife thinks i'm nuts??

mr.mud1 01-23-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 9170280)
Looks amazing!

thank you sir. news flash,i have something heading your way in the way in the mail!!!!not for me,from me.now that's a change.take care Happy Dan.

mr.mud1 01-29-2023 01:00 AM

4 Attachment(s)
a little more progress,cowl panel and seal are installed and gaps set,hood is on but not yet adjusted.new restored hubcaps i did were installed on the newly paint wheels today,looks good i think?tailgate isn't fitting like i think it should so we'll have to go at that someday soon,underhood decals in place but tomorrow i think it's going to working on door stuff,glass and such.coming together.

Happy_dan 01-30-2023 09:34 AM

Wow, it's so nice are you going to be able to drive it?

mr.mud1 01-30-2023 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy_dan (Post 9172952)
Wow, it's so nice are you going to be able to drive it?

yes sir.that's the plan.i don't think i'll haul rocks in it but i'll drive it.we'll make it to the Atlantic Nationals this year,finally.

mr.mud1 02-02-2023 11:44 PM

5 Attachment(s)
there's more progress to report.both doors are adjusted and assembled,door glass,new windowfelts,glass run channels,rebuilt vent windows,door handles and new locks,mirrors,interior panels,exterior moldings and new arm rest pads all installed.fuel tank sender installed with a new float and fuel sock and a new gas tank neck grommet.seat belts are in and the seat is out,waiting for a trip to the trim shop to repair a split seam.just about there,still have the hood and tailgate to adjust then install the rear bumper and start her up.