The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=510160)

NoNeck 05-17-2012 05:44 PM

Re: Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop

1 Attachment(s)
I like them too... back in the '60s Cragar had a magnesium wheel with flat spokes similar to the C57s. The picture attached is the new version, but they looked a little bit like this. The outer rim was chromed steel, but the center was magnesium. If I remember, they had a "uni-lug" bolt pattern to fit GM or F@rds. I had a set on a 1963 Impala with red line bias ply tires. The style back then was the gasser look... the front of that Impala was pointing to the sky, and the back bumper was almost dragging. Ah, the good ole days...

I hope you guys have fun.

POP

truckmanloco 05-17-2012 06:20 PM

Trucks lookin great buddy comin along nicely.

Bennett68C10 05-18-2012 09:29 AM

Truck looks great

LakeAnna 05-18-2012 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5387211)
Truck looks great

YES it does!:smoke:in hot

CC69Rat 05-18-2012 10:59 AM

Just wait.. :metal:

I havent shown my 'hand' just yet.. :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

black_sheep454 05-18-2012 05:13 PM

Man I love this truck, now get it hammered and some wheels on it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Scottk6204 05-21-2012 07:59 AM

Ok, times up. Did you pick up any wheels this weekend at Goodguys?

raull 05-21-2012 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottk6204 (Post 5392053)
Ok, times up. Did you pick up any wheels this weekend at Goodguys?

yeah !!! what he said !!!

CC69Rat 05-21-2012 11:30 AM

Went to Goodguys and bought the door / window channel rubber but I couldn't find any deals on the wheels. I'm probably just going to save my $ for another couple weeks and get what I really want. I like the Coys C57, and the C5s but I just can't pull the trigger for some reason. I saw some in Nasville (C57) and they were chrome and honestly (just my opinion) I wasn't excited about them. I just don't want to spend the money and regret it. The Salt Flat'ish wheels still look really good to me.

I'l post pics when I do something.

shawno72 05-21-2012 12:50 PM

I tell tell you what Chad if you buy some wheels and you don't like them ship them to my and we will see how they look on my ride :lol: sounds good, no? :haha:
Posted via Mobile Device

CC69Rat 05-21-2012 01:08 PM

I have a really nice set of 5 lug rallys on my 68 now. The tires are just crappy. The wheels were blasted and painted Argent silver, really nice caps, etc. I could throw some tires on them and run them on the GMC for a while too? I have my Billet Specialties I could go ahead and put them on the 68 but then I'd be working around them with primer dust and crap.

I am also considering moving my 5" springs off my 68 step to the GMC and bagging the back of it. I have the PB shock bars already so it would make sense. Why buy the stuff for two static trucks when I'd really like to bag at least the back of the 68?

.. I'm so confused. :lol:

Bennett68C10 05-21-2012 01:31 PM

Chad if I was you I would move the static drop parts and the rally's over to the Gmc and then bag the 68. Just get yourself some new tires for the rally's. If you are worried about getting sanding dust on your billets you could always wrap your billet specialties up in garbage bags to keep the dust off them and protected. Thats what I did with my Coys. Good luck can't wait to see what you decide to do.
Posted via Mobile Device

raull 05-21-2012 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennett--g4l (Post 5392525)
chad if i was you i would move the static drop parts and the rally's over to the gmc and then bag the 68. Just get yorself some new tires for the rally's. If you are worried about getting sanding dust on your billets you could always wrap your billet specialties up in garbage bags to keep the dust off them and protected. Thats what i did with my coys. Good luck can't wait to see what you decide to do.
posted via mobile device

i agree with keith !!!!

VA72C10 05-21-2012 03:03 PM

:agree: about swapping the static stuff onto here and bagging the 68

CC69Rat 05-21-2012 03:46 PM

But my 68 has the 73+ front end. My spindles and stuff would be different. That's why I was thinking maybe Shrader on the back of the 68, and move the 5" drop springs to the GMC. I have a set of ECE shock reloation brackets, track bar and all of it. That would put PB 1" drop arms, notch, upper and lower shock bar, and Trackbar on the 68 with shrader setup. I would probably do the dual conv bags (not sleeves) I think Nate offers a 1" drop arm with bag plates on them.

Bennett68C10 05-21-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5392757)
But my 68 has the 73+ front end. My spindles and stuff would be different. That's why I was thinking maybe Shrader on the back of the 68, and move the 5" drop springs to the GMC. I have a set of ECE shock reloation brackets, track bar and all of it. That would put PB 1" drop arms, notch, upper and lower shock bar, and Trackbar on the 68 with shrader setup. I would probably do the dual conv bags (not sleeves) I think Nate offers a 1" drop arm with bag plates on them.

Yeah then you could just buy the front static drop stuff for the front of the GMC. I'll have a set of western chassis front 2.5" drop springs up for sale next weekend after I get the passenger side out if your interested.
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 05-21-2012 04:15 PM

I guess my thought is on any 40yr old vehicle when you take the front end apart to put the new springs in you might as well replace the ball joints/tie rods.
Posted via Mobile Device

gcburdic 05-21-2012 04:31 PM

Great looking truck Chad....I'm enjoying watching your indecisions on wheels too:lol: Good luck buddy on whatever you choose:D

CC69Rat 05-21-2012 04:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Would these look good? Maybe ? .. I really like them..

shawno72 05-21-2012 04:49 PM

Donky donk donk a donk. Don't fake the fonk on a fonky donk. :crazy:

Scottk6204 05-21-2012 08:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My C57's showed up today and just wanted to share my opinion on them. This is a pic of the 20x10 for the rear, they are ok but you get what you pay for. They just dont have that smooth mirror like finish like what you would get in a better wheel. I would not run these on a show truck or something with a real nice paint job, they should be fine on my faded paint. I have seen the C5 coys and they are a much better wheel, but I wanted a different look. I would spend the extra money and get the salt flats if that is what you really want.

CC69Rat 05-21-2012 08:24 PM

Really? I dont know man.. I like those. They look better in polished than chrome... again just me.

Post up some pictures if you can. I havent ruled these out for sure. If you decide you dont want them Id be intersted to buy them.. just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 05-21-2012 08:55 PM

I really think those would be perfect on your truck Chad. Sure, there are much better polished wheels out there...but for two-three times the $$$...

The polish on those to me fits perfect with your truck. It's nice but not like chrome...

CC69Rat 05-21-2012 09:14 PM

Yep. Scottk6204.. you mentioned you wish you had gone with 22x9. If you decide to change in the next week or so, and your 20x10 wheels are 5.5 bs please let me know
I can buy yours and help you out too.

Jonathan , I agree. I just have trouble with decisions. I was thinking about painting the flat part of the spokes a light silver / gun metal grey anyway.. then lightly misting the grey witha cad gold color ( for the magnesium look ) I could use DP epoxy and purposely dry spray it a little for texture. Of coudr sand the flat part a little first so the dp will bond. Am I nuts?

I have been known to sand around on stuff from time to time. :D. Maybe I could improve the polishing?
Posted via Mobile Device

VA72C10 05-21-2012 09:56 PM

I personally think they would fit your truck better either without any extra polishing or with the magnesium look...

I think bright billet or chrome would be too much even though your black paint is shining because of all your hard work...it's still not show paint...and I think the look of the truck will be better overall with the polished coys.