The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

greg65 07-04-2010 03:11 PM

Re: Project: Recycle

If I were closer you would be welcome to use the glass as a template.

greg65 07-04-2010 03:35 PM

I traced both glasses out on a roll of packing paper. If you want I can ups them to you Tuesday.

SCOTI 07-07-2010 10:48 PM

Back glass is back in..... No pinched rubber on the outside of the glass but you can see where he had to mash the piss out of it to make it fit. That being said, both bottom inner corners are still pinched/protruding out. I think I'm going to order a different brand rear window seal.

I have been working on my gauge cluster & just about have it complete. Not exactly perfect but it will work for now. I'm going to have a new lense-panel made from aluminum as I feel it will ultimately be stronger (I was trying to re-use as much of the original idiot light cluster as possible). I'll post up some pics once I get them off the camera.

Greg65....
If the offer still stands for those templates, I'm interested.

Detroitcustoms 07-07-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4015037)
I'm not sure if they were trying to tell each other something in this pic or if they were trying to tell me something :lol: .... Either way, 3M panel bond adhesive was used.

No i was tellin u @ $55.00 per tube x2......

SCOTI 07-08-2010 05:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, this is basically what I started with. A generic 'idiot light' cluster.

SCOTI 07-08-2010 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I taped up the lense & played around w/the possible placement of 2x 3 3/8" & 4x 2 1/16" gauges. Not much room so you're kind of limited when trying to make things 'look' right vs. an eye-sore....

likaroc13 07-08-2010 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4079515)
I taped up the lense & played around w/the possible placement of 2x 3 3/8" & 4x 2 1/16" gauges. Not much room so you're kind of limited when trying to make things 'look' right vs. an eye-sore....

yeah, of all the styles i've seen using aftermarket gauges, that layout really looks best to me

SCOTI 07-08-2010 05:18 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My plan was to re-use as much as possible from the original housing. I gutted what would no longer be needed & started tweaking from there . . ....

SCOTI 07-08-2010 05:23 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Once everything was trial fit, it came back apart for changing the lense's appearance & more aggressive clearancing of the OE housing for the deeper speedo/tach. This is what was trimmed off of the OE cluster housing (tin) & all the discarded internals....

SCOTI 07-08-2010 05:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I kept the original turn signal tubes & made another to match for the high beam indicator. The turn signal indicators are in the stock location & the high beam indicator was moved between the large gauges (not drilled yet).

I did .250" holes for the indicator lights after measuring the dimensions of the OE turn signal indicator 'arrows'....

SCOTI 07-08-2010 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I sanded/DA'd the lense w/some 80 grit & wiped it down w/degreaser. I used some Rustoleum 'Stone Creations' rattle-can texture finish that I picked up @ my local Home Depot. It gives a nice texture (like trunk spray/zolatone); but the texture is a little more aggressive.

I tried the standard 'wrinkle finish' rattle-can stuff but it requires everything to be just right when applying to get the 'best' finish. With this stuff, it's spray & go. I then used VHT's rattle-can epoxy 'satin black' as the top coat (I also sprayed a couple of coats on the back side of the lense).

Overall, I was able to use the original housing parts & saved myself some cash. I can always go w/an aftermarket set-up if desired since this was just some time/effort. I included a close-up shot of the texture & one of the turn indicators.

Next will be sandblasting the outer bezel & a fresh coat of VHT epoxy....

joe231 07-08-2010 05:51 PM

That Looks very Cool SCOTI!
great idea!!

Alan's Classic 07-08-2010 06:10 PM

I agree, nice job!

VA72C10 07-08-2010 06:21 PM

Nice work and I really like the SW gauges over many of the other options out there...

TimE 07-08-2010 06:40 PM

Nice work!

SCOTI 07-08-2010 06:57 PM

Thanks guys! I figured the idiot light cluster wasn't worth anything (to me) & I had to do some cleaning/detail painting to the bezel anyway so.....

I think the SW gauges offer the best compromise: 'new' gauge accuracy w/enough 'old school' appearance. They definitely work for this project.

I'll be painting the glove box door & door panels in a similar way to help tie things together on the interior. Tannish interior; black gauge cluster, glove box, & door panels w/a little texture for contrast; black arm rests, black steering column/wheel, & black 80/20 loop carpet. The seat frame is even PC'd satin black ;) .

Detroitcustoms 07-08-2010 08:10 PM

You need to run that cluster over and well paint the outer bezel to match dash ?????

bubba327 07-08-2010 10:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
love the dash idea .. I found a glove box door at the pick a part yard and wondering about kinda doing the same thing.. also maybe moving or hiding the switches-- I never thought about the rough painted surface .. I knew not to use shiny chrome or stainless due to glare/reflection issues
your truck is looking good!!
Attachment 608412

aggie91 07-08-2010 11:11 PM

That gauge set up look fantastic! I think that the texture is great for the back ground, is the bezel just going to be the same shade of black without the texture?

SCOTI 07-09-2010 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 4080221)
That gauge set up look fantastic! I think that the texture is great for the back ground, is the bezel just going to be the same shade of black without the texture?

Yes. Bezel will just be satin black.

N2TRUX 07-09-2010 09:36 AM

Scoti- The texture looks great around the gauges. Very good idea. On the bezel, have you considered painting the ribbed area a contrasting color, then overlaying with satin black and lightly sanding? Like ribbed valve covers that are painted between the ribs.

Painter D 07-10-2010 10:45 AM

Nice work SCOTI, keep at it.

SCOTI 07-10-2010 09:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I got a little more done today.... I had to get the truck moved from my buddies shop as he was running out of room. I picked it up this morning & it's now back in storage waiting.

After that, I got up to the shop & finished the vent window frame repairs. It went fairly easy considering the curve I had to make but they turned out decent. Here's where I started disassembly, cutting out the rot, & a shot of the new side . . ....

SCOTI 07-10-2010 09:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Once it cooled, I cleaned up the edges, traced my 'cut line' so that new transitioned to old seamlessly, & did final clean-up w/a DA.

A little 'pookie', primer, & satin black; you'll never know there was a problem . . ....

VA72C10 07-10-2010 09:23 PM

nice work!!! Looks like new!