The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   53 Surburban "Family Truckster" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=605484)

youngrodder 09-20-2015 10:25 PM

Re: 53 Surburban "Family Truckster"

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7312342)
Looks good Marc. Really glad you brought this up as I didn't know there were two. I will have to make one for mine.

Plans for the rest of the floor?

Yes mine both needed repair. I have the driver seat mounted and I'm going to fit the jumpseat to get the correct location to drill and bolt it down. I'm going to raptor line the front cab floor and keep my back section open at this point until I get my suspension sorted...

Marc

youngrodder 09-20-2015 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7312357)
Marc, nice job on the floor and riser...Jim

Thanks Jim

youngrodder 10-11-2015 11:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have made some progress. I got my jump seat mounted. I need to get a picture of it.

I purchased my drivetrain. They threw in the Camaro for free.....(: It is a 2001 Z28 with an LS1 and 4l60E automatic trans. I plan to use as much as I can and sell off the rest. The car is actually in great shape. No rust or body damage and I have a clean title. I drove the car home about 70 miles. It ran good. The car has 125,000 miles. I know you can get craiglist motors cheaper but it is always a crap shoot if you get a junk motor.

I heard from Porterbuilt and all of my goodies are shipping next week. Here are a few pics. Hopefully they don't mind.

Thanks
Marc

oldman3 10-11-2015 11:35 PM

Marc, not a bad looking Camaro. I agree with you, this way you know you have a running engine, etc.. Can get everything you need, then sell the rest. I know your ready for the PB stuff, can't wait to see pics and then you putting it together...Jim

FarmerSid 10-12-2015 08:17 AM

That car almost looks too nice to part out. Those PB parts look awesome.

Advanced Design 10-12-2015 10:57 AM

Great plan on the Camaro. Friend of mine is doing same for the powertrain on his 65 Pontiac wagon. I wonder if 20 years from now we will be kicking ourselves for doing this?

Those Porterbuilt parts always look really nice. Looking forward to seeing them installed. You will likely finish yours before I finish mine!

youngrodder 10-12-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FarmerSid (Post 7338449)
That car almost looks too nice to part out. Those PB parts look awesome.

It's funny people keep saying the same thing...ha ha

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7338589)
Great plan on the Camaro. Friend of mine is doing same for the powertrain on his 65 Pontiac wagon. I wonder if 20 years from now we will be kicking ourselves for doing this?

Those Porterbuilt parts always look really nice. Looking forward to seeing them installed. You will likely finish yours before I finish mine!

It's funny we keep jinxing each other by saying who will finish first..I still have a lot of research to do on what oil pan to use and stuff like that. Since I'm using PB I will need to figure out a certain amount on my own

Marc

99 to Life 10-12-2015 10:51 PM

nice score, your rocking now.

CHIZZLER 10-12-2015 11:34 PM

Nice score on the camaro marc.

lower50's 10-13-2015 02:15 AM

It's always nice to buy a running drivetrain. :metal:

youngrodder 10-13-2015 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 to Life (Post 7339347)
nice score, your rocking now.

I hope so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHIZZLER (Post 7339413)
Nice score on the camaro marc.

Thanks man

Quote:

Originally Posted by lower50's (Post 7339563)
It's always nice to buy a running drivetrain. :metal:

Yes, I just need to convince my wife not to keep driving it so I can rip it apart..MY 48 the motor sat for several years and it just added more bugs to work through.

DeeJayNOLA 10-19-2015 06:37 PM

Yes, I just need to convince my wife not to keep driving it so I can rip it apart..MY 48 the motor sat for several years and it just added more bugs to work through.[/QUOTE]

If your wife is anything like mine with their need for speed (Top Gun voice) then really Good Luck with that.:lol: But great idea to buy it running. It's a 2001 so I'd definitely give a good looking over once you've pulled it out and cleaned it up. Like some of these other guys asked, keep the pics coming:mm::c2::cong:

youngrodder 10-20-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeeJayNOLA (Post 7346694)
Yes, I just need to convince my wife not to keep driving it so I can rip it apart..MY 48 the motor sat for several years and it just added more bugs to work through.

If your wife is anything like mine with their need for speed (Top Gun voice) then really Good Luck with that.:lol: But great idea to buy it running. It's a 2001 so I'd definitely give a good looking over once you've pulled it out and cleaned it up. Like some of these other guys asked, keep the pics coming:mm::c2::cong:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, will do. I plan on pulling the Camaro in soon for the lobotomy. The motor at first inspection looks very good. It does not leak any fluids and is fairly clean overall. Over the winter months I look to make some progress...

Marc

69CST-V 10-29-2015 01:15 PM

Is it winter up there yet???? JK. Looking forward to your progress pics.

youngrodder 10-29-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CST-V (Post 7357896)
Is it winter up there yet???? JK. Looking forward to your progress pics.

Funny that you say that. It actually snowed today. Just flurries, nothing stuck but it sucked just the same.

I will be pulling the Camaro in to start tearing it down. I need to get this done to get back on the chassis because the chassis shares the same floor space as where I will tear the Camaro down.

I should also have some progress pics soon on the body. I have been working on it a lot but not a lot that will show up on camera. I'm just about ready to hit the back half with epoxy seam sealer and then add raptor coating on the lower inside parts of the body and bottom of the floor. My dropped spindles showed today and the PB freight shipped this week.

Marc

Advanced Design 10-30-2015 09:18 AM

Cool....uh oh, I better get busy!:)

oldman3 10-30-2015 09:28 AM

Let's see Tab A into slot B, can't wait...Jim

youngrodder 10-30-2015 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7358786)
Cool....uh oh, I better get busy!:)

Come on Doug, you've seen how fast I move. You have plenty of time...

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman3 (Post 7358797)
Let's see Tab A into slot B, can't wait...Jim

You and me both. I know I sill need to remove one cross member (oh how I lover messing with removing rivets) but I need to get the front DB installed first. I promise to flood with pics soon. With this build there has been too much text and not enough pics as of late.

Marc

reaper71 11-03-2015 10:30 AM

Yes Marc I would agree, A good air hammer works wonders (ingersoll rand) is the one I have it's pretty awesome, and makes it so much faster for removing the rivets.

Mark...

youngrodder 11-15-2015 10:49 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I had a productive day. I was able to drop the motor and remove it from the cradle. It was a lot of work but I feel pretty good about my progress.

I only have one broken exhaust manifold bolt to deal with but there is a decent part of the bolt left so I should be able to get ahold of it and work it loose...That's the plan any way.

Now all that left is to reassemble the cradle so that I can sell the car.

I also bought a cherry picker for cheap. I barrowed it from a friend and asked how long I could barrow it for and he said no need for it back anytime soon. Then he said hey how about I sell it to you cheap...Hey I like cheap.....so I bought it.

Thanks
Marc

Advanced Design 11-15-2015 11:06 PM

Nice work Marc. We did one Friday night. If the exhaust manifold bolt is too short, you can weld a nut to it for removal.

youngrodder 11-15-2015 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Advanced Design (Post 7377644)
Nice work Marc. We did one Friday night. If the exhaust manifold bolt is too short, you can weld a nut to it for removal.

Tis the season huh? I took my time and with it just being me I wanted to make sure everything was safely supported. As for the bolt, I have a good inch or so sticking out so I should be able to get ahold of it.

Marc

oldman3 11-16-2015 12:15 AM

Marc, nice job on the removal...Jim

lower50's 11-16-2015 09:18 AM

Good job!! It's always nice when things come apart easy. I like your jack stand blocks.

69CST-V 11-16-2015 11:41 AM

Nice job...