The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   1965 LWB Stepside Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737785)

cwcarpenter98 08-31-2020 01:15 PM

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

If the header panel already has stainless, and you like the look of it, go ahead and do stainless on the rest of them. Brushed stainless would look the best in my opinion

roll_the_dice 08-31-2020 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8800823)
If the header panel already has stainless, and you like the look of it, go ahead and do stainless on the rest of them. Brushed stainless would look the best in my opinion

You are right, I don't think polished SS would look right. I know all SS bolts are not created equally...so I just don't want them to rust.

cwcarpenter98 08-31-2020 01:51 PM

You could always clear coat the bolts to help protect the brushed finish a bit more. Not sure if that would take away some of the brushed look though

Johns 66 09-01-2020 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8800743)
So I am clear coating the inside of the bed. I have the head done and the drivers side finished. I hope to get the passenger side finished today.

Here are a few pics and a question...Do I leave the old fender bolts in as they are...which matches the rest of the bed of the truck or do I swap them out for new stainless hardware?

I am torn...I think the SS would look good and stand out with the patina look of the sides or do I keep the old patina bolts? I am swapping out the head bolts to SS since the old ones sheared off when removing them.

I say paint them huggar orange...:lol::lol::lol:
Seems like lots of folks think huggar orange is for everything, engines, bodies....so why not bolts...LOL

roll_the_dice 09-02-2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8801723)
I say paint them huggar orange...:lol::lol::lol:
Seems like lots of folks think huggar orange is for everything, engines, bodies....so why not bolts...LOL

HAHAHAHAHA

Funny you mention it. I picked up some OEM bumpers last year to paint white...and they were painted orange. Not sure if it is hugger orange, but orange. Now they came off a beautiful orange truck, so they were appropriate...but orange is one of my favorite colors, so ... that led me to my orange dually. haha

roll_the_dice 09-02-2020 11:09 AM

3 Attachment(s)
OK, I am clear coating the hood today or tomorrow...I have it in my paint booth (garage) and have sanded it down to get ready. Just need to wipe it down and clear it.

So here is todays question...since I am so close to finishing the truck, do I:

A) put the bed on the truck with no wood
B) put plywood in the truck bed (temporarily)
C) wait until my new wood is ready to install

I am leaning towards option B so I can drive the truck sooner than later, but will be slightly more work.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the finished clear coated inside of the bed...I haven't gotten a good picture yet to show the shine...too much shade (never enough when I am working).

I'm also going to paint the inside of the fenders and underside of the bed with POR 15 just to be on the safe side.

cwcarpenter98 09-02-2020 03:27 PM

Option D would be to use some scrap pieces of wood that are the same height as the actual wood so that the bed is still bolted solid around the flanges, you just won't have any wood in the rest of it

Johns 66 09-02-2020 09:00 PM

Yeah just put some 3/4 wood so its mounted solid and you can repalce it with the boards once ready.....Thats what Im gonna go since its easier to move without the wood in it.

roll_the_dice 09-03-2020 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8802070)
Option D would be to use some scrap pieces of wood that are the same height as the actual wood so that the bed is still bolted solid around the flanges, you just won't have any wood in the rest of it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8802244)
Yeah just put some 3/4 wood so its mounted solid and you can repalce it with the boards once ready.....Thats what Im gonna go since its easier to move without the wood in it.

I think I am going to put a sheet of 4x8 plywood in the bed and bolt it down. I may not even worry about the 1" gap at the head...since long bed is 97". Or I may use a piece of metal at the head to take up the gap...guess I'll figure it out this weekend. :)

roll_the_dice 09-03-2020 03:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got my hood clear coated today...should install it this weekend! I need to wet sand and polish it in s a coupe of areas....one sag/run in the clear, but nothing I can't fix with sanding and polish.

I cleared it about 2 years ago, but didn't like how it turned out...so I sanded off the old clear. I tried finding some green paint, but zero green on the hood...sad. However, this time was much better, in my garage with a fan blowing out. Here are a few pics of the freshly cleared hood.

Johns 66 09-03-2020 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8802556)
Got my hood cleaer coated today...should install it this weekend! I need to wet sand and polish it in s a coupe of areas....one sag/run in the clear, but nothing I can't fix with sanding and polish.

I cleared it about 2 years ago, but didn't like how it turned out...so I sanded off the old clear. I tried finding some green paint, but zero green on the hood...sad. However, this time was much better, in my garage with a fan blowing out. Here are a few pics of the freshly cleared hood.

Great Job Andy...really looks good my friend

cwcarpenter98 09-03-2020 05:03 PM

Ooooooooh, shiiiiinyyyyy

Johns 66 09-03-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8802585)
Ooooooooh, shiiiiinyyyyy

Show truck...lol

The Rocknrod 09-04-2020 08:33 PM

Well, no matter what anyone say's - it's better than I could do. :metal:

Johns 66 09-04-2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8803263)

For sure fore sure....I had primer that cracked so I knew it was time to let the real folks do it

roll_the_dice 09-04-2020 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8802585)
Ooooooooh, shiiiiinyyyyy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8802560)
Great Job Andy...really looks good my friend

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8803263)

Thanks guys...I appreciate it. I enjoy painting...it relaxes me for some reason.

roll_the_dice 09-05-2020 12:42 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Installed the hood this morning. My wife, son, and I got it on and mostly adjusted...then my friend Carl stopped by and we finished adjusting it. Here are some pictures of it after install. I am sure my wife has some as we were installing it. Looks great to me, but also looks weird. It is the first time the hood has been on in 3 years....crazy!

Johns 66 09-05-2020 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8803533)
Installed the hood this morning. My wife, son, and I got it on and mostly adjusted...then my friend Carl stopped by and we finished adjusting it. Here are some pictures of it after install. I am sure my wife has some as we were installing it. Looks great to me, but also looks weird. It is the first time the hood has been on in 3 years....crazy!

Love it, lools really good..So glad for you

roll_the_dice 09-15-2020 12:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
You know, you take things apart months/years ago and then when it is time to go back together...it's a head scratcher! For the life of me I could not remember how the headlights and buckets went back in...but after staring at it long enough I finally remembered!! It seems like the simple things take the longest.

Waiting on a few things to come in today to finish wiring the lights, then install the grille. Taking the truck Thursday to get exhaust, my dash radio patch panel welded in, and my A/C checked and charged. While it is in the shop, I hope to finish the plywood bed so when she comes home, I can mount the bed and drive! Any other cosmetic work I want to do will be a work in progress as I drive the truck.

Johns 66 09-15-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8808480)
You know, you take things apart months/years ago and then when it is time to go back together...it's a head scratcher! For the life of me I could not remember how the headlights and buckets went back in...but after staring at it long enough I finally remembered!! It seems like the simple things take the longest.

Waiting on a few things to come in today to finish wiring the lights, then install the grille. Taking the truck Thursday to get exhaust, my dash radio patch panel welded in, and my A/C checked and charged. While it is in the shop, I hope to finish the plywood bed so when she comes home, I can mount the bed and drive! Any other cosmetic work I want to do will be a work in progress as I drive the truck.

Lol...I know the feeling, you should have seen me last night putting on the new rear brakes...Thank God for Randy

roll_the_dice 09-16-2020 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Worked a little today between the raindrops. Mounted my headlight and fan relays...will finish them tomorrow rain permitting and connecting the headlights. I also installed my gauge cluster...Here is a pic of it....Looks so much better installed than sitting in our spare bedroom. :)

roll_the_dice 09-16-2020 07:50 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My wife takes better photos than I do...so here are a few more...we had to see it at night with the gauge lights on.

Johns 66 09-16-2020 08:48 PM

Looks killer Andy....one day mine will grow up and be like yours....lol

cwcarpenter98 09-16-2020 10:21 PM

That's rad :metal:

roll_the_dice 09-17-2020 08:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8809227)
Looks killer Andy....one day mine will grow up and be like yours....lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8809285)
That's rad :metal:

Thanks! I love it.

Today between the raindrops, I wired the relays for the headlights, wired the lights and installed the grille. I forgot to take a couple of pictures unfortunately. My main goal with the wiring was to be able to remove the grille easily if necessary. I bought some weatherpack connectors and wired the light green low beam wire and tan high beam wire coming out of the radiator support to the grille. I also wired the headlight relay and electric fan relay to a Mega Fuse to alleviate more connections to the battery.

I will try to get some pictures of the wiring harness I made with the weatherpack tomorrow.

I still need to finish wiring the electric fan, but that should be straight forward.

Here are a few pictures.

Johns 66 09-17-2020 09:57 PM

Oh yeah...now shes a night rider

roll_the_dice 09-18-2020 01:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Loaded up the truck to take to the exhaust shop today...first time it has been away from home in 3 years...hope she makes new friends. :) Should have it back some time next week. Getting the following done:

New Exhaust
radio patch panel welded in
fitech EFI tuned
A/C charged

Johns 66 09-18-2020 02:01 PM

Awesome!!!Last time on a tow truck, cause I know you are gonna take the long way back to the house when you pick her up!!!!!

That pic with the American flag in it is priceless!!!!

roll_the_dice 09-19-2020 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8810061)
Awesome!!!Last time on a tow truck, cause I know you are gonna take the long way back to the house when you pick her up!!!!!

That pic with the American flag in it is priceless!!!!

Thanks John...I thought the Flag pic was great too.

roll_the_dice 09-23-2020 10:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Painted my plywood for the bed the last 2 days... I cut it into 3 sections and painted it black. I do like the black though...Might only use 4 aluminum bed strips instead of all of them since it is temporary.
going to get it installed this weekend hopefully...should get the bed fender wells painted tomorrow with POR 15.

roll_the_dice 09-26-2020 08:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Trying to finish the bed while the truck is getting the exhaust put on and other tidbits...Got the underside of the bed rails/frame painted with KBS Rust Seal. Also blasted and painted the bed crossmembers and got them installed...since it will be a truck that is used as a truck, thought I would make life easier with these eye bolt tie downs.

Johns 66 09-26-2020 09:19 PM

Looks really good...the rust preventative will definitely help.

roll_the_dice 09-27-2020 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8814190)
Looks really good...the rust preventative will definitely help.

I agree...it was crusty in some places before I sanded. Was not a fun paint job in some areas as I had to lay on the ground on a creeper to get to some places. Can't wait until I get a lift or an area where I could have turned the bed upside down...would have been so much easier.

roll_the_dice 09-27-2020 10:25 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Got the plywood bed finished...still need to clean the strips and bolt them down, but this is what it is going to look like. I also need to drill the holes for mounting to the frame...I am only using 4 strips since this is temporary. I put 3 coats of exterior paint on all 6 sides of each board. Not great pictures (too much glare).

cwcarpenter98 09-27-2020 11:57 AM

Looks great!

roll_the_dice 09-27-2020 01:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8814411)
Looks great!

Thanks Christian!

Got the stainless strips cleaned and ready for install...now to drill a few holes in the plywood to install them. Look so much better...amazing what water and a brillo pad will do.

Johns 66 09-27-2020 08:42 PM

Looks really good Andy......Excited to see your bed back on your truck!!!!

roll_the_dice 09-28-2020 05:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Between raindrops I just about have my wood installed...need to drill a few more holes in the plywood and do some touchup painting where I scratched the wood...overall I think it is going to look pretty good and work until I get my better wood.

Johns 66 09-28-2020 05:30 PM

I have to say that really looks good...I like the contrast of the black, stainless and white bed sides.

Arekusu 10-01-2020 03:28 PM

Project is looking great! I always tell people a project takes at least 5 yeast to do right.

Alex