The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=510160)

lolife99 06-08-2012 12:16 PM

Re: Project Grande Slam: Coley's Hot Rod Shop

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some good pics of your c-57 wheels in this thread:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=528287

CC69Rat 06-08-2012 12:28 PM

You're killin me man..

Wow, that looks good. Maybe do big brakes instead of stockers and go with these wheels? $2300 for the Centerlines and $1300 for the drop kit with stock / 12" rotor kit = $3600 OR $1050 for the Coys and $1800 for the Big Brake / Modular drop kit with 13" rotors, etc. = $2850. For that matter, .. four wheel disc?

raull 06-08-2012 12:55 PM

second package better , more bang for the buck !!!!

CC69Rat 06-08-2012 01:14 PM

Keith -- Quoted from Active Member 'DKN' on the forums (found it on an earlier post) if I am not mistaken, it looks like he works for CPP.

The track with on an OE drum brake truck is 1” narrower (0.5” each side) than an OE disc brake truck. The CPP modular spindle was designed to pull the wheel away from the fender lip as much as possible. Trucks often rub the outer portion of the inner fender.

The change from a drum brake spindle and hub- CPP modular is .25” narrower each side.
The change from an OE disc brake spindle and rotor- CPP modular is .75” narrower each side.
Danny Nix
CPP

So it looks like the modulars would pull my GMC (original drum brake) in .25" on each side. (?)

72BlckButy 06-08-2012 01:32 PM

Maybe I'm recalling incorrectly but I thought.... adding disc increased the trackwidth by 1.5" overall (.75 each side). If the CPP modular spindles pull the wheels back then there wouldn't be any increased track width.

darkhorse970 06-08-2012 01:35 PM

I've got my eyes on a set of Centerlines too. They are nice and just different enough to be interesting. I'd sell the bike and expedite the trucks completion. (Its easy for everyone to say that when we don't have a connection to the bike) Just my .02 cents.

CC69Rat 06-08-2012 02:07 PM

Nate - just thinking out loud here.. not disagreeing.

If I were a GM engineer in 69 for example. If the rear housing is 55.5" on my drum brake trucks. I have been tasked to change to discs in 71 model year. Would the track width on the front of the 69/70 not match the rear? Explaining why in 71(late 70) they widened the rear by 1.5". Adding discs up front to equal the rear and vise versa.

So just thinking logically. (The way I understood the guy from Cpp) lets say the front and rear track width on a factory drum brake 69 is 55.5. (Using the plate to plate theory)

Compared to an original disc brake truck with 57" track front and rear.

In stock configuration the 69 drum truck is .75 narrower each side than the 71. Before anything is done to it. The added width cometh from the disc rotors, not the a arms etc.

So adding modular to a 69 ? Over stock it is. 25 more narrow.
adding modular to an original disc 71? Over stock it is. 75 more narrow

The end result is that cpp modular spindle is in the same position regardless of year. The way i undetstand is the variable comes in depending on the original configuration of the truck. Modulat has more impact on a 71+ than it would a pre- disc truck.

69 track width - 55.5
71 track width - 57
CPP MODULAR track width - 55

ALL approx... just thinking it through.
Posted via Mobile Device

67barnfind 06-08-2012 03:28 PM

I'm on board !@!

lolife99 06-08-2012 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5423818)
Would the track width on the front of the 69/70 not match the rear?

No it wouldn't.
The front track width has always been wider on the truck, no matter if its a drum brake truck or disc brake truck.
That's why you offset the wheel width and backspacing to make them fill the bedsides and front fenders equally.

CC69Rat 06-08-2012 04:28 PM

I was just thinking / speaking / typing hypothetically ..

New plan.

I am going to order the CPP Big brake kit tonight. Modular spindles, all of it.

Slam the truck. Measure with my Wheelrite, and order my wheels. Done.

I'll post up some pics in a few weeks.

72BlckButy 06-08-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5424013)
I am going to order the CPP Big brake kit tonight. Modular spindles, all of it.

Slam the truck. Measure with my Wheelrite, and order my wheels. Done.

I'll post up some pics in a few weeks.

Words of wisdom and the only way it should be done.

shawno72 06-08-2012 05:50 PM

X2

raull 06-09-2012 08:35 AM

Wooo hoooo !!!!! Good move chad !!!!

CC69Rat 06-11-2012 02:46 PM

I have been doing some research on the stuff from CPP. I am hearing a lot of bad reviews on them. Yikes.

I think I am going to try to put together a Big Brake kit of my own and get exactly what I want. I used to use Hotchkis stuff in my Camaros, so I'm kinda leaning that direction. I have Hellwig swaybars for it already (got them both new, off the forum and discounted pricing so I went that route.. nothing wrong with Hellwig :D )

I'm just a little spooked by the CPP reviews. Will update soon

shawno72 06-11-2012 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 5428895)
I have been doing some research on the stuff from CPP. I am hearing a lot of bad reviews on them. Yikes.

I think I am going to try to put together a Big Brake kit of my own and get exactly what I want. I used to use Hotchkis stuff in my Camaros, so I'm kinda leaning that direction. I have Hellwig swaybars for it already (got them both new, off the forum and discounted pricing so I went that route.. nothing wrong with Hellwig :D )

I'm just a little spooked by the CPP reviews. Will update soon

What kind of bad stuff are you hearing. I've had no issues with the CPP suspension stuff that I've used.

67cheby 06-11-2012 02:58 PM

i have also used alot of CPP components, i have had good luck with them !

Bennett68C10 06-11-2012 03:06 PM

If you want another option lol, I have the McGuaghys big brake kit on mine. Was a really nice kit. You can get them from Porterbuilt for $700.00.

Here is the link: http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.co...p-Spindles-700

VA72C10 06-11-2012 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 5428923)
If you want another option lol, I have the McGuaghys big brake kit on mine. Was a really nice kit. You can get them from Porterbuilt for $700.00.

Here is the link: http://www.porterbuiltfabrication.co...p-Spindles-700

mcgaughy's makes some nice stuff too!

Although with all the cpp issues I've had it's always been shipping or customer service related....never actual product issues....so if you deal with cppjeff up front or go through one of the forum vendors who sells them I think you'd be good...

CC69Rat 06-11-2012 03:16 PM

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...6GSK-55213.htm

Here's what I have been looking at. But, I have heard some bad stuff about them too..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=463524

(just one of them)

Maybe this was just a single case situation (?) but .. My truck being a 70, I need to consider the 'conversion' spindles too and this kit would take care of the center link issues, etc. I'd just like to get everything I need shipped to me as one kit. Unbox it, and spend the whole day (s) dropping this truck.

I'd still love to have the CPP kit. You guys think it would be ok? I noticed that link was from 2011 too so they might have stepped up some since then? I'm sure some people have their stuff and I mean no offense. I just want to make sure it's cool to go that route.

67cheby 06-11-2012 03:24 PM

man that seems like a great deal !

CC69Rat 06-11-2012 08:22 PM

One more question..

Option #1 - 4/6 drop, Big brakes (13) on the front, dual piston calipers, , modular spindles, and drums on the back ?

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...6GSK-55213.htm

OR

Option # 2 - 4.5/6 drop, (12) on the front, single piston calipers, regular spindles AND disc on the rear?

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...6772GSK-5D.htm

AND

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...6366RWBK5E.htm

(upgraded rotors on both, drilled / vented)

Same money .. your thoughts?

NoNeck 06-11-2012 08:35 PM

Quote:

Option #1 - 4/6 drop, Big brakes (13) on the front, dual piston calipers, , modular spindles, and drums on the back ?
I like option #1... being a daily driver, that extra .5" drop on the front will help on those burger joint speed bumps. Plus, you would get the modular spindles with those big brakes showing through those 20" wheels.

Just an old man's 2¢.

POP

CC69Rat 06-11-2012 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I'd post a picture of my gauge cluster. Dad finished it up today. We have to paint the column and finish up with the dash detailing .. but this should make a difference :metal:

I think it looks great.. and yes, polished with Colgate ! (the lens) All the gauges are original and detailed, the outer bezel is repro.

VA72C10 06-11-2012 09:33 PM

dash looks great! was the toothpaste for the lens? :)

On the brakes, I think it's a win, win....I am not much help as I have the same debate because discs on the rear look great with big rims, but the modulars/bigger fronts look great also....

As far as braking performance, I really don't think you'll notice a huge upgrade with the discs on the rear....even many high dollar modern trucks use drum rears since most of the braking pressure is (and needs to be) at the front anyways....

bigguy69 06-11-2012 09:34 PM

Man that looks awesome!
Posted via Mobile Device