The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   1972 Blazer - 'Bullet' Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=341224)

68 TT 07-26-2012 05:57 AM

Re: 1972 Blazer - 'Bullet' Project

From what I understand the best source is a complete setup off a diesel truck or SUV. Not sure what years are the best. 88-93 NBS uses one design and 83-87(91) square bodies use another. I would go with the one that has the same accessory drive system you want to run, V-belt or serpentine and grab that whole setup to match.

An Astro van with the optional hydraboost is a second choice but may need a different master cylinder to work on a truck The one I was looking at a couple days ago was angled downward pretty heavily. It would cause fluid level issues in the brakes if mounted level. The hoses are bound to be all different too so that is more added cost.

I believe a keyed firewall plate will be needed to keep things from rotating. You can make your own, cut the piece from the donor or buy a prefabricated part from one of the vendors out there.

You need the power steering pump from the donor as well since it is an integral part of the hydraboost system. I would assume the power steering brackets are unique to the hydraboost power steering pump so make sure you get those as well.

mcmlxix 07-26-2012 07:03 AM

CaptainFab (board vendor) make a great bracket but you cant use the auto column shift.... the linkage has an interference issue...

I used his bracket with a 2005 GMC hydroboost and MC... It's not installed yet, just bolted together.

*** Edit - I think the linkage hit the brake booster, SOOOO it may be ok for hydroboost... CaptainFab's bracket is also set up to use later model (80s/90s) vacuum booster...+

CLICK HERE for Captain Fab brackets w/ pics and info

fxdxharley 07-26-2012 12:38 PM

http://www.truckandcarshop.com
page 113 of the 60-72 catalog. kinda pricey at $500 for the complete kit but its got everything you need and hey brakes are worth the money! ;)

68 TT 07-27-2012 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 5506132)
CaptainFab (board vendor) make a great bracket but you cant use the auto column shift.... the linkage has an interference issue...

I used his bracket with a 2005 GMC hydroboost and MC... It's not installed yet, just bolted together.

Good to know. I thought John made some but couldn't remember and he doesn't have them in his sig so I thought it might have been somebody else.

mcmlxix 07-27-2012 02:22 AM

HERE is a link to a cost breakdown. He estimated $350 when done...

lks dcvn 08-11-2012 12:09 PM

Got it - thanks everybody.

I went another direction and got an electronic vacuum pump instead - works like a champ and gives me a solid brake pedal all the time.

I turn the key and it fires up for about 5 seconds when I start the truck and then only kicks in during driving when it notices that the vacuum is low.

Pretty slick.

Pump rests on the core support so it is out of the way in the engine bay.

I need to get you guys some updated pix since I got the different rims/exhaust on this thing.

68 TT 08-19-2012 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 5533814)
Got it - thanks everybody.

I went another direction and got an electronic vacuum pump instead - works like a champ and gives me a solid brake pedal all the time.

I turn the key and it fires up for about 5 seconds when I start the truck and then only kicks in during driving when it notices that the vacuum is low.

Pretty slick.

Pump rests on the core support so it is out of the way in the engine bay.

I need to get you guys some updated pix since I got the different rims/exhaust on this thing.

Any info on the electric pump you used would be appreciated.

lks dcvn 08-19-2012 05:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Sure - here is the pump that I got:

SSBS Electric Vacuum Pump

A few new pix as well...new exhaust installed, new brakes all around, vacuum pump installed.

I have a few sets of bucket seats that I am hoping to trade/sell to get a set of blue buckets down the road, but no rush on that yet - want to be sure I have a solid driver w/o issues before I attack cosmetic items.

I am having a hard time lining up the doors on this thing.

I checked the passenger side door and the hinge area is cracked. I do have a few doors to pick from. I hope that they are all not cracked in the same spot.

I pulled the hatch and the rusty tailgate today to make some room to fix the floor back there.

lks dcvn 08-28-2012 10:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Ok - some updates.

Finally took the top off this thing since I have owned it. All the rust is gone in the lower A an B pillars of the truck - only the windshield frame and a few spots in the rear bed is left to fix.

I could not get the doors dialed in so I took another set and bolted them on. They were much closer to the other set that I had from the start...

I also cleaned up the bedsides now that the top is off and coated them in rust preventative paint.

OldCreek 09-05-2012 01:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here I am with the same wheels... just thought I'd share. :metal:

Keep up with the good work! You're getting there!

1956cameo 09-10-2012 07:28 PM

It's good to see more progress being made.

lks dcvn 09-10-2012 08:50 PM

Tell me about it.

Over the weekend I ran the 220 line in my garage and hooked up my 60 gallon compressor so I can hopefully get more done now.

BLUE THUNDER 09-10-2012 09:52 PM

Lookin' good bro. I like the electric vaccuum. Do you have a part# and $? I want one.

lks dcvn 09-13-2012 01:48 PM

Here you go Mario-

Electric Vacuum Pump

$280 from Jegs - cheapest place I found it.

Pedal is great every time I use it. You can't really hear the pump running over the exhaust (which is aggressive, but not overwhelming).

lks dcvn 09-22-2012 03:42 PM

My search for some front inner fenders brought me to another stash of parts in the area.

I picked up the following:

2 New Inner Fenders
1 set of Black Blazer Bucket seats with tracks and new covers/backs - 1 seat was recovered already the other needs to be redone - anybody want to trade for a set of blue ones?
2 Black Cup Holder Consoles (1 GM one 1 aftermarket) - both in great shape
1 set of new CST Door Panels (NIB)
Dash Clusters (1 w/ Camaro Tach installed in it, 1 standard, 1 new surround)
1 set of new lenses (Deluxe, CST Trim (NOS and aftermarket), blue dot (NIB))

I bought all the good stuff and will likely have it up on the for sale forum this week.

So - I now have new inner fenders to work with - so I can dump the rusty ones.

lks dcvn 04-04-2013 08:06 PM

I have started my list of action items I need to finish to wrap up this project:
  • Fix rust in rear bed floor where it meets the tailgate
  • Fix inner driver side inner bedside
  • Replace Windshield Frame
  • Replace Windshield
  • Complete Body Work
  • Align Panels for fitment
  • Acquire Interior items - Blue Carpet and Blue Seat Covers
  • Replace Dash Harness with new replacement (already purchased)
  • Acquire/Trade for nice Black Steering Wheel

I have a lot of parts that I have stockpiled and I plan to trade my way to getting the last few items I need (if possible).

I need to put up a post in the for sale section to start the process - just haven't got to it yet.

I put all the sheet metal back on the truck and it drives very well now.

Brakes work great and I swapped out the carb for an Edelbrock 1406 with an electric choke.

I am waiting until it warms up a bit to start the body work again as I know how much fun that can be...

lks dcvn 06-25-2013 06:18 PM

and I sold it today...somebody made me an offer I could not say 'no' to.

I will be selling quite a few extra parts in the coming days/weeks.

Thanks everybody for the support along the way.

jaros44sr 06-25-2013 08:14 PM

Good luck to you, stop back and say hello from time time

docstheman 07-01-2013 12:13 PM

Thanks for the thread. This is really helpful to me seeing what all you had to do in rust repair since I am just starting my project. Great work!

vtblazer 07-08-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 6142203)
and I sold it today...somebody made me an offer I could not say 'no' to.

I will be selling quite a few extra parts in the coming days/weeks.

Thanks everybody for the support along the way.

Looked like you made it a long way, nice job!

lks dcvn 07-14-2013 07:05 PM

Thanks everybody - I am not averse to buying any more trucks from this era - just want to buy something done and just enjoy it instead of spending all my time tracking down parts and working on the darn thing.

jaros44sr 07-14-2013 10:39 PM

Good luck to you, which ever path you take

Still alot of good info. on your build thread, would you mind if it was moved over to the builds and project section. Could be very useful to someone down the road

lks dcvn 07-16-2013 06:46 PM

to move it - not at all - happy to be of help to others.

Many guys helped me along the way so might as well pay it forward.

Thanks.

Tom Vogel 07-17-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 6173062)
Thanks everybody - I am not averse to buying any more trucks from this era - just want to buy something done and just enjoy it instead of spending all my time tracking down parts and working on the darn thing.

I totally feel you pain! :lol:

jaros44sr 07-17-2013 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lks dcvn (Post 6176135)
to move it - not at all - happy to be of help to others.

Many guys helped me along the way so might as well pay it forward.

Thanks.

Thanks for your permission, asked a mod. to move it....

I guess restoration looks deceivin, just a great deal of time involved, and that is one thing we all dont have alot of. Hope you find a truck you can drive.

I feel your pain, and dont know how you endured:smoke: