The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

gringoloco 05-24-2011 12:48 AM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

5 Attachment(s)
Got a little done today in the way of installing the fuel filler- ended up having to shorten the fill tube to keep a downhill slope from the filler to the tank. Using the late model door also left me with a nasty-looking protrusion into the bed. I used part of a formed metal blister to cover the ugliness- I think it turned out 'good enough'...

Also painted the tailgate, filler cover, filler door, and the rear of the bed. I had to do something with the area at the tailgate where the wood ends. A wood floor cross-sill would have a step-up here; I used a piece of 1.25" angle iron as a suitable substitute :chevy:

Riveted1 05-24-2011 12:52 AM

"Good enough" :lol: That looks great man!

gringoloco 05-24-2011 01:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
While I was waiting for paint to dry, I also got busy putting the front of the truck back together. I installed the bowtie and hood latch and started making one good grill out of the two that I have.

I used the insert from the aftermarket grill that was on the truck, painting it flat black, then removing the paint from the louvers, to resemble a factory 1970 inner grill, instead of a '69, like all repop inners. Did you know there are 60 'louvers' on a '70 grill? I do now... I had to detail each and every one of them today, but the effort was well worth it. The outer still needs a good cleaning, but it's starting to look like a truck again- that actually says 'Chevrolet' on it :D :chevy:

gringoloco 05-24-2011 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riveted1 (Post 4697167)
"Good enough" :lol: That looks great man!

Thanks for the positive comment. I would have liked to butt weld it in flush and body work it, so that it looks like it came that way, but time does not permit. The rivets are kinda cool looking anyway :uhmk:

Jacfourteen 05-24-2011 01:41 AM

Looking great! I may just have to copy you on the raised floor, it is turning out awesome and it would get me a little lower.

chevy2racr 05-24-2011 07:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 4697194)
Thanks for the positive comment. I would have liked to butt weld it in flush and body work it, so that it looks like it came that way, but time does not permit. The rivets are kinda cool looking anyway :uhmk:

I think JUST IN CASE its prolly better that you can remove that cover... never no why ya may need to access through there....

67cheby 05-24-2011 09:54 AM

if you would like me to ....i will keep the truck company while your gone...we dont want her getting lonely now do we ???

VA72C10 05-24-2011 09:56 AM

Great job on the inner and the fuel cover! Are you going to detail the outer as well (black lettering)?

gringoloco 05-24-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacfourteen (Post 4697223)
Looking great! I may just have to copy you on the raised floor, it is turning out awesome and it would get me a little lower.

Certainly! I have gotten TONS of ideas off the boards. I can only hope to give a little back :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by chevy2racr (Post 4697347)
I think JUST IN CASE its prolly better that you can remove that cover... never no why ya may need to access through there....

True, ya never know...
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4697494)
if you would like me to ....i will keep the truck company while your gone...we dont want her getting lonely now do we ???

Haha- she won't be lonely long- fiance wants a '67 fastback :uhmk:
Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 4697499)
Great job on the inner and the fuel cover! Are you going to detail the outer as well (black lettering)?

Thanks, and yes, I will be detailing the outer, but for now, I'm just trying to get 'er going :)

gringoloco 05-24-2011 11:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Daily update: While the inner fenders are out, and the doors disassembled, I took the opportunity to drill a bunch of holes down the side of my freshly painted truck :ito:

Started with a piece of 2" tape, for reference, then marked and drilled for the lower body side molding. Went pretty smoothly other than having to peel some woodgrain tape (the sun helped a lot) and trimming the rear-most pieces from long bed trim. I'm not totally sold on the look, but I've definitely bought it, as there's no turning back now...

Also put the guts back in the doors including new window regulators and chrome vents, and re-installed the windshield by myself! I was a little apprehensive, having heard horror stories of people breaking the glass and having to buy new, but I went for it and it slid right in. Took me about a half hour and very few choice words :D

67chevy1series 05-25-2011 12:38 AM

wow you got your window in by your self? that is a night mare.... been there done that...right as mine when in to its final setting place it had a crack right in front of the drivers seat!!!! i had very few choice of words to :D

lolife99 05-25-2011 01:19 AM

Great job on the lower trim.
Did you have a set of instructions for drilling all the holes?
I have a truck I want to add lower trim to also.

gringoloco 05-25-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67chevy1series (Post 4698953)
wow you got your window in by your self? that is a night mare.... been there done that...right as mine when in to its final setting place it had a crack right in front of the drivers seat!!!! i had very few choice of words to :D

Yikes! That's what I was afraid of- guess I got lucky :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4698992)
Great job on the lower trim.
Did you have a set of instructions for drilling all the holes?
I have a truck I want to add lower trim to also.

Yup- found 'em in the FAQ: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=221881 Though I found it easier to use a piece of 2" tape on the body line for height measurements, placing the holes CL about 2 1/8" down from the 'crease'. The fore/aft spacing is not as critical, since the clips are adjustable within the trim. There is also a bit of adjustment, due to the holes being slightly larger than the studs. It was really pretty easy once I got past the shock of drilling into my fresh paint... :chevy:

Chitown_hillbilly 05-25-2011 11:40 AM

Ya know people like you and your ability to to do top notch work at a break neck pace make me sick... nothing personal I'm just jealous (of both your abilities and your truck).

71meangreenc10 05-25-2011 12:09 PM

I am about to put on the 4.3 serp set up on my 350, what powersteering pressure line did you use?

Are the newer styles metric fittings in the pump or what?

Thanks

Smitty

lolife99 05-25-2011 02:39 PM

Thanks for the link!

gringoloco 05-25-2011 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chitown_hillbilly (Post 4699509)
Ya know people like you and your ability to to do top notch work at a break neck pace make me sick... nothing personal I'm just jealous (of both your abilities and your truck).

Haha- thanks! :) I learn by doing- what you don't see is all the stuff I screw up, or how much my other responsibilities get neglected. I can only do this for short bursts...
Quote:

Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 (Post 4699557)
I am about to put on the 4.3 serp set up on my 350, what powersteering pressure line did you use?

Are the newer styles metric fittings in the pump or what?

Thanks

Smitty

Two ways to attack it: use a late model steering box and hose (what I did, needed a rebuild anyway) or use the old style fitting in the new pump. It is, I think, 1 1/8" fitting that swaps directly. I'm pretty sure they're actually the same pump, just with different resevoirs.
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 4699744)
Thanks for the link!

No worries; I'm sure you've helped me out at least once before :)
Posted via Mobile Device

71meangreenc10 05-25-2011 05:19 PM

Thanks for the info GL......

Smitty

tommyd241 05-25-2011 06:08 PM

Wow! What an amazing build and beautiful truck! Subscribed!

mcbassin 05-25-2011 09:37 PM

Super fast progress!

gringoloco 05-25-2011 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71meangreenc10 (Post 4699961)
Thanks for the info GL......

Smitty

No prob! :D
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommyd241 (Post 4700019)
Wow! What an amazing build and beautiful truck! Subscribed!

Thanks a lot! I actually drove it some today and got lots of attention...
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4700458)
Super fast progress!

Almost 'done' :)

gringoloco 05-25-2011 11:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Not much of a picture day, but good progress nonetheless. I started by taking the front wheels and tires to get mounted this morning. I put the tires on powdercoated 7" rallies, instead of the 6.5" van wheels and it bought me the clearance I needed at the lower control arm. It turns beautifully and the inner wheel weights actually stay on :metal:

Once the wheels were back on the truck, I drove her over to the local alignment shop and had it lined up. They also charged the A/C system for me and it blows nice and cold :D The guys there loved the truck- couldn't stop asking question and giving compliments- even had one of the 'old heads' give me kudos on the front suspension rebuild, and thanked me for leaving the inner fenders out for him to get to the alignment shims.

Also finished installing the rest of the body side molding and tailgate and taillight trim (anyone have a spare amber marker?), then had a terrible time glue-ing the passenger door weatherstrip in- what a pain! NOT looking forward to doing the driver's side. More choice words than used on the windshield install...

Bennett68C10 05-26-2011 06:49 AM

truck looks great and came together fast

gringoloco 05-26-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett--G4L (Post 4701137)
truck looks great and came together fast

Thanks! Should be mostly together today :D

Houch 05-26-2011 04:56 PM

Beautiful truck. Your doing an awesome job. I had just about wrote my cab off but your windshield repair inspires me to repair it. Keep up the inspiring build.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device