The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=715398)

fatboys69 08-16-2019 01:57 PM

Re: Bench Seats, Having them Reupholstered

where you getting your seat foam ? TIA

TKCR 08-16-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatboys69 (Post 8577152)
where you getting your seat foam ? TIA

Randy from USA1. I order multiple pieces, and then he will have them pallet shipped to me, directly from the manufacturer.

Danmcg 08-17-2019 03:24 AM

Nice work as usual TK!
If you are ever in the Syracuse NY area, I got a couple seat cores that you can take home with ya.

TKCR 08-17-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danmcg (Post 8577470)
Nice work as usual TK!
If you are ever in the Syracuse NY area, I got a couple seat cores that you can take home with ya.

Thank you, I will try and remember that:metal:

TKCR 08-17-2019 02:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Saddle Tan Vinyl Deluxe is completed. 81-87 bench seat using the original foam. Frame, tracks and hardware have been restored also.

TKCR 08-18-2019 05:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Worked on some seat tracks today. Sandblasted & repainted 3 sets of tracks. These things are what takes me the longest to do. Took almost most of the day, just to get 3 sets done. See the Before & After? Rusty to looking new again, and they will slide like new too.

Ulf 08-20-2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TKCR (Post 8493869)
Saved a couple seats from being trashed. These will make good candidates for restoration. Both are 81-87 seats. Went to Indiana and got them.

How do you restore the slides? I´ve tried sandblasting but its hard to clean them afterwards. Been thinking bathing them in citric acid to get rid of the rust. I´m a little bit scared of removing the rivet in order to pull them apart. Any suggestions?

TKCR 08-20-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulf (Post 8579335)
How do you restore the slides? I´ve tried sandblasting but its hard to clean them afterwards. Been thinking bathing them in citric acid to get rid of the rust. I´m a little bit scared of removing the rivet in order to pull them apart. Any suggestions?

I don’t take them apart, I’ve got a system down now for sandblasting them. I spend the most time on the wheels and bearings, because those are the mechanics of the tracks. I move them just a little at a time to get everything cleaned of the rust. Once I’m done, I rinse them in the sink with the sprayer. Then blow them dry with an air nozzle, using the air compressor. Once they are repainted, and dried overnight, the wheels & bearings get lubricated. Then it’s just a matter of working the slides back & forth, getting the lubricant worked in the slide system.

TKCR 09-11-2019 08:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got quite a few of my frames back from the sandblaster. Spend the last several days making any needed repairs to the frames before repainting them. I also got a few tracks done, and I do those myself. I spend a lot of time on sandblasting the tracks. I want them to slide again, like they did when they were new.
Pic #1 are the 81-87 seat bottom frames
Pic #2 & #3 are all the 77-80 tilting frames
Pic #4 are the 81-87 tracks

TKCR 09-17-2019 10:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Picked up several seat cores. 2 from Michigan and 1 local.

blizno23 09-18-2019 11:13 AM

I just want to recommend TKCR and his craftsmanship. She took the time to show me what she is doing and her process. Top notch looking quality and a great resource full of valuable information!

TKCR 09-18-2019 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blizno23 (Post 8595309)
I just want to recommend TKCR and his craftsmanship. She took the time to show me what she is doing and her process. Top notch looking quality and a great resource full of valuable information!

Thanks Blake, I appreciate that. I hope to be able to help you out with a seat or any other questions you may have, regarding your interior.

TKCR 09-19-2019 08:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Working on more frames today. Most of these are the seat backs.

TKCR 09-22-2019 06:18 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got a lot more frames done this weekend. And the Seat She Shed is getting back under control.

rgunlock 09-24-2019 02:02 PM

Doesn't look like retirement has slowed you down one bit! Nice looking inventory there.

TKCR 09-24-2019 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgunlock (Post 8598686)
Doesn't look like retirement has slowed you down one bit! Nice looking inventory there.

Nope it hasn’t. But that’s the way I like it!

TKCR 09-24-2019 09:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Build another Charcoal Velour Deluxe.

TKCR 10-09-2019 10:26 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Spent the day getting several sets of Garnishes cleaned and freshened up. Starting to actually get ahead on some steps. These are ready to go, when I start building a seat that particular color.

TKCR 10-09-2019 10:31 AM

4 Attachment(s)
I also got a couple of seats built. Black Velour Deluxe and a Saddle Velour Deluxe. I have the Black Seat listed for sale in the parts forum.

TKCR 10-09-2019 10:35 AM

5 Attachment(s)
And here are some pics of the underside of the seats. Frame, tracks and all the hardware have been restored also. And just as a reminder, an upholstery shop will not touch these items. All they will do, is put a new upholstered cover on the seat. All these items are just as important, as the rest of the seat.

Hammered 77 10-09-2019 10:49 AM

Nice work TK!

Rick

TKCR 10-09-2019 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammered 77 (Post 8606594)
Nice work TK!

Rick

Thank you!!

TKCR 10-09-2019 11:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired a seat, that I bought from someone locally. The seat was very nice, but I still strip them completely down for restoration. The guy ended up purchasing a Snowden Seat for his truck, because he didn’t like how his factory bench sagged. He said he felt like he was sitting on the floor of the cab. Well here’s why, broken and/or missing springs. As you can see, in the last pic, 2 springs are missing. Just putting light pressure on the grid, it goes directly to the floor!

TKCR 10-09-2019 11:13 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I find all sorts of issues that need repaired, while I’m restoring these seats. Again, let me reiterate. Upholstery shops do not do any of this.
I find a lot of these too. Seat backs that have the weld broken. These all get welded back together.

old Rusty C10 10-10-2019 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I need a seat like this