The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   1965 LWB Stepside Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737785)

88Stanger 11-08-2020 03:32 PM

Re: 1965 LWB Stepside Build

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8833224)
As most of you know my truck is in the shop getting exhaust and having my vintage air charged. I got a call from the shop Friday at about 1PM saying my new condenser is leaking. It is new, but also 3 years old..since I just got around to installing it but have had it since May of 2017. I called the place I bought it from and they said I had to go through Vintage Air, they could do nothing for me. So I called Vintage Air not really thinking I could get it replaced under warranty. I had to leave a message. Shane from VA called me back within 30 minutes and I told him the situation...and said it is out of warranty by a few months. Shane said, that's OK, we are going to take care of you! He found my original order and asked where I wanted it sent...About an hour later I received an email with shipping notification...and today I received it! I could not believe I got it so fast. They are in TX and I am in GA. Any build I do in the future will have Vintage Air in it...their customer service was above anything I expected! Thanks again Shane and Vintage Air!

That is awesome! I have used them on my "69 and will use them my "66. Customer service for smaller company will make or break the company if you ask me. Awesome for you and great looking truck!

cwcarpenter98 11-08-2020 05:42 PM

That's good to hear. I love hearing good things about a company I'm considering purchasing from

roll_the_dice 11-09-2020 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8833234)
That is awesome! I have used them on my "69 and will use them my "66. Customer service for smaller company will make or break the company if you ask me. Awesome for you and great looking truck!

I agree, customer service is a dying art form, but the companies that understand it get my business....can't go wrong with VA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8833282)
That's good to hear. I love hearing good things about a company I'm considering purchasing from

Yeah, it is nice to know you picked the right company for your hard earned money!

vin63 11-09-2020 02:32 PM

Awesome progress! And, Vintage Air has always been good to me, too, on some of my oddball requests and part replacements.

roll_the_dice 11-10-2020 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vin63 (Post 8833681)
Awesome progress! And, Vintage Air has always been good to me, too, on some of my oddball requests and part replacements.

Thanks Vince! Yeah, VA replaced decals I didn't receive 3 years later also. They seem to want to take care of their customers for sure! Just wish I could buy directly from them instead of someone else so they would get a bigger slice.

roll_the_dice 12-05-2020 07:24 PM

4 Attachment(s)
OK finally got my truck back the day before Thanksgiving, but it wasn't running great...so the last week I have been dialing in the EFI and doing some minor things. Today, I got a major thing done...finally put the bed back on it. 3 of my buddies from Church came this morning to help me. Only took a few minutes to get it on and the bolts through the wood bed. You know you have good friends when they get under your truck to help line things up!

Here are a few pics of the process and the finished product...although the truck isn't finished, my wife and I did go for a quick cruise late this afternoon. Was so nice being able to get in and go...Now just need to button some things up..front bumper, seat belts, etc.

cwcarpenter98 12-05-2020 08:00 PM

Heck yeah man! The truck looks great!

Johns 66 12-05-2020 10:21 PM

Love it...Always nice to have friends help....Looks great Andy!!!!

straight6chevyguy 12-08-2020 04:48 PM

Looking good!

roll_the_dice 12-08-2020 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8845501)
Heck yeah man! The truck looks great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8845573)
Love it...Always nice to have friends help....Looks great Andy!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8846991)
Looking good!

Thanks guys...it's getting there!

roll_the_dice 12-08-2020 10:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got some things done this week....installed the front bumper..finished wiring the tail lights and license plate I also had an old Chevrolet script valve cover. I painted it Detroit Diesel Green. I then sat it over my existing valve cover to see what it would look like. I LOVE it. So now this made up my mind...I will be getting script covers with PCV and breather. I need to save my money for these though...they aren't cheap.

roll_the_dice 12-08-2020 10:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I also bought some sail panels and I sat one on today to see what it would look like. Not sure if I will use them or not...They are from a 60-63, not 64-66...which I am not sure I care, but since step sides never had them...not sure if it looks weird or not. So before I put them on with screws, I need to decide.

The Rocknrod 12-09-2020 08:46 AM

Nice.

88Stanger 12-09-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8847151)
I also bought some sail panels and I sat one on today to see what it would look like. Not sure if I will use them or not...They are from a 60-63, not 64-66...which I am not sure I care, but since step sides never had them...not sure if it looks weird or not. So before I put them on with screws, I need to decide.

I want a set of those, so if you decide not to use them, i may be interested in buying them from you.

By the way AWESOME build! great work sir!!

straight6chevyguy 12-09-2020 12:56 PM

I think the sale panels look good.
(I have the same ones on my 65 by the way!)

roll_the_dice 12-09-2020 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8847358)
I want a set of those, so if you decide not to use them, i may be interested in buying them from you.

By the way AWESOME build! great work sir!!

Thanks dude! I appreciate it! I will give you the right of first refusal if I decide to sell them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8847366)
I think the sale panels look good.
(I have the same ones on my 65 by the way!)

Thanks! I actually like the 60-63 panels better than the correct 64-66. I really like the bow tie...ever have anyone say, they are the wrong panels on your truck? I assume 99% of anyone won't know.

straight6chevyguy 12-09-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roll_the_dice (Post 8847398)
Thanks! I actually like the 60-63 panels better than the correct 64-66. I really like the bow tie...ever have anyone say, they are the wrong panels on your truck? I assume 99% of anyone won't know.

No, but it's been a farm truck since we have had it so not to many people have seen it. (not anyone that knows that there the wrong ones anyway lol)
I actually did not know that they were not correct until just a few years ago!:lol:
BTW I also think the 60-63 panels look better than the 64-66 panels.
I too really like the bowtie.:chevy:

roll_the_dice 12-09-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by straight6chevyguy (Post 8847460)
No, but it's been a farm truck since we have had it so not to many people have seen it. (not anyone that knows that there the wrong ones anyway lol)
I actually did not know that they were not correct until just a few years ago!:lol:
BTW I also think the 60-63 panels look better than the 64-66 panels.
I too really like the bowtie.:chevy:

That's what I figured! :D

roll_the_dice 12-09-2020 04:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Installed my rubber floor mat. It really finishes the interior from seeing the insulation on the floor. I still need to install the shift boot...should be here tomorrow. I also need to fit the pedal a little better around the ball studs. Overall it is a good fit and I like the look.

Question...for those that have installed...look at the last picture....did you cut the mat around the door sill or put it under the sill? I am inclined to put it under, but it is a fairly thick mat not sure how it will fit.

WunTon 12-09-2020 04:52 PM

Looks awesome! I would go under the sill if possible to help hold it in place while getting in and out so you don't catch a shoe on it and to keep from collecting crap in/under it.

cwcarpenter98 12-09-2020 11:18 PM

Lookin' good! I believe the rubber mat goes under the sill plates. At least, that's how my truck is, and I think it looks better that way

88Stanger 12-10-2020 11:47 AM

great work!

Johns 66 12-12-2020 10:16 PM

Looks Awesome And

roll_the_dice 12-12-2020 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8847684)
Lookin' good! I believe the rubber mat goes under the sill plates. At least, that's how my truck is, and I think it looks better that way

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8847880)
great work!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8848954)
Looks Awesome And

Thanks Guys! I appreciate it.

Anyone have any ideas? I can't get my gas gauge to work. I bought a new repop gauge and have tried the 50+ yr old gauge. New sending unit in my gas tank 0-30 OHM. THe new one reads at empty and the old one pegged at full...now it shows about an 1/8th of a tank. I honestly don't know how much gas I have in the tank and with the bed on...the rear tank is difficult to work on....suggestions?

roll_the_dice 12-19-2020 11:08 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally got my parking lights wired yesterday (bad picture)...and I also made up a wiring harness for my trans backup light switch to my AAW harness. I really like these weatherpack connectors I bought. Now that I am finished (primarily) with wiring the truck, I have determined I enjoyed the wiring process. It really lets you know how everything works and is connected for the truck.

Johns 66 12-19-2020 09:57 PM

Glad you are getting all the little things took care of....Im sure a few gremlins will pop up every now and then...but at least you know everything about ole girl to be able to fix it

The Rocknrod 12-20-2020 07:39 AM

That floor rubber looks good. :)

88Stanger 12-20-2020 10:46 AM

Roll_The_Dice - Are you still using the Fi-Tech setup? I have one a bought a few years ago that was for my "69, but some changes happened and ..... well now i have a very slightly used Fi-Tech 600HP Blow Thru i am going to try and was just wondering what you have been experiencing ..

roll_the_dice 12-20-2020 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 88Stanger (Post 8852204)
Roll_The_Dice - Are you still using the Fi-Tech setup? I have one a bought a few years ago that was for my "69, but some changes happened and ..... well now i have a very slightly used Fi-Tech 600HP Blow Thru i am going to try and was just wondering what you have been experiencing ..

I have it...I like it for the most part. I don't think it is running 100% correctly. I have been talking to FiTech to get it straightened out. Their customer service has been pretty good so far. I can't get the IAC to stay set even though it runs good once warm...cold start isn't great which to me is the whole point of EFI. I plan on talking to them again this week. I am sure once dialed in correctly it will be great...just not there yet. I would definitely do it again though.

roll_the_dice 12-21-2020 03:28 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got some pretty stuff installed...door panels, horn ring, and rubber matt. I still need to paint the doors and repair some small rust at the bottom (spring project).

Weird thing...I installed the horn ring yesterday and this morning my battery was dead...I charged it back up...and removed the horn ring. I will see if that solves the battery drain. Must be making slight contact or something...if it drains again in the morning without the horn ring, I will investigate further.

The picture of the SW/Horn ring was shot through the back glass...I like the reflection of the bed sides and wood in the glass.

roll_the_dice 12-21-2020 04:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Also got in my gear shift boot and ring...and couldn't wait to install it. I LOVE IT!

WunTon 12-21-2020 05:00 PM

Man everything looks great but I really love your shifter!

Johns 66 12-21-2020 05:42 PM

Looks killer Andy.....I like the green on the door inserts.....
Fingers crossed that the FiTech folks can get you fixed up

roll_the_dice 12-21-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WunTon (Post 8852859)
Man everything looks great but I really love your shifter!

Thanks! Much appreciated! I really love the shifter too. I love the Indian motorcycle shift knob I picked up years ago. The shift boot is out of a 67 C10 and the ring was made from a fellow board member out of billet aluminum and is anodized. I think they look great and belong on the truck perfectly!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8852870)
Looks killer Andy.....I like the green on the door inserts.....
Fingers crossed that the FiTech folks can get you fixed up

Thanks John...I love the doors as well. I think the green sets it off well. I think Fitech will get me figured out.

I went and filled up the gas tank tonight..and took it for a spin and stopped by a friends house. The truck is running good...just need to get a few things dialed in. Got to put in a new sending unit, mine apparently died over the last 3 years, but Boyds welding is sending me a new sending unit for the gas tank. So that is good customer service! Got a whopping 22 miles on it now! WOOHOO!

cwcarpenter98 12-21-2020 10:07 PM

Lookin' great!

Do you have the horn hooked up to the horn relay? If not, see if you can hear the horn relay click when you install the horn ring. If you don't get the metal washer spring thingy in the right place, the horn will stay grounded all the time

roll_the_dice 12-22-2020 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8853005)
Lookin' great!

Do you have the horn hooked up to the horn relay? If not, see if you can hear the horn relay click when you install the horn ring. If you don't get the metal washer spring thingy in the right place, the horn will stay grounded all the time

Thanks Christian! I figured out the battery drain..I had my reverse lockout switch on my trans wired to a battery terminal in the harness instead of ignition...oops. Corrected...charging battery again as we speak. Also hooked the horn button back up.

The Rocknrod 12-22-2020 01:56 PM

Like the interior a lot. Nice work

roll_the_dice 12-22-2020 02:37 PM

Thanks Master Chief, I appreciate it! I have one more piece to add to the interior...an OEM dash clock. Hope to get it installed in the next week or 2.

roll_the_dice 12-27-2020 07:11 PM

Got my seat belts installed this weekend. Have put 77 miles on it since Thanksgiving...more than half of those in the last week. Took it out yesterday for testing purposes of the brakes. I adjusted the push rod some...might need a little more but much better.

Took it out today for actual enjoyment...went to some antique stores and putzed around...was nice and fun. Beautiful weather for a drive...mid 50's.

roll_the_dice 12-28-2020 05:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For my timeline and reference...I installed a new upper radiator hose today. Gates # 23464

I also installed a LectricLimited temp sending unit.