The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444746)

67cheby 06-04-2011 10:56 AM

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Great job !!

gringoloco 06-05-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4716997)
Great job !!

Thanks! Been working knick-knacks to get her ready for the road trip in 10 days!

67cheby 06-05-2011 01:52 AM

good luck speedy....i am sure you will have it all done

mcbassin 06-05-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 4716610)
Thanks! I think it turned out pretty good :)

Anywhere near OKC? It will be back up there at least once more...

Yes, just about 20 miles east of OKC. We are way over do for a truck meet maybe you could give us a heads up when you are in town?

Papa-J 06-05-2011 11:48 AM

wow took me a few hours to red through this thread, and I'm almost sad it's over now :( You did an amazing job. Doing the interior roof along the upper window line would have stopped me in my tracks but you did everything perfectly. I was suprised when you relic'd the trucks paint. I'm not disappointed since I relic guitars all the time for sale. Just have never seen anyone do it to a truck. GREAT JOB!!!

Slick67 06-05-2011 05:58 PM

I have to admit the faux-tina looks pretty darn good. Overall the truck looks outstanding IMHO. I've said it before and will say it again, you really know how to ruin a perfectly good C10, keep ruining it.

gringoloco 06-05-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 4718839)
Yes, just about 20 miles east of OKC. We are way over do for a truck meet maybe you could give us a heads up when you are in town?

I'll shoot you a PM if we have some free time while I'm up- we'll be moving my wife to LA, so it might be busy :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa-J (Post 4718863)
wow took me a few hours to red through this thread, and I'm almost sad it's over now :( You did an amazing job. Doing the interior roof along the upper window line would have stopped me in my tracks but you did everything perfectly. I was suprised when you relic'd the trucks paint. I'm not disappointed since I relic guitars all the time for sale. Just have never seen anyone do it to a truck. GREAT JOB!!!

Thanks for taking the time :D I'm not quite done with her yet, but the majority of the work is complete- it's just little things and more 'antiquing' now. Of course we all know they're never truly done, so there will be more to come after that, I'm sure :chevy:

gringoloco 06-05-2011 11:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Played around with weathering the bed wood a little today. Used a combination of vinegar, baking soda, water, wire brushes, sandpaper, muriatic acid, and whatever else was laying around. It took the yellow-ness out, but didn't give the effect I'm shooting for, so I'll have to get more serious with it ;) Also wired up dedicated grounds for the marker, blinker, and tail lights. Amazing how much better they work now...

Before and 'after' of the bed- more to come:

Papa-J 06-05-2011 11:29 PM

if it is nicked and scratched up a bit, you could always apply a coat of leather dye, then wipe off the extra, it will only fill the cracks and scratches and make it look like pushed in dirt and wear lines. just an idea

gringoloco 06-05-2011 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Papa-J (Post 4719901)
if it is nicked and scratched up a bit, you could always apply a coat of leather dye, then wipe off the extra, it will only fill the cracks and scratches and make it look like pushed in dirt and wear lines. just an idea

Thanks- I do plan to beat it up some. I'm trying (unsuccessfully thus far) to get it to grey before doing the dings. Not an easy task with pine, but I have a few more ideas to try before staining it...

thor 06-07-2011 05:04 PM

Nice, nice, nice! This truck turned out amazing! Simply beautiful. I wish you the best on your big day.

SCOTI 06-07-2011 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 4719917)
Thanks- I do plan to beat it up some. I'm trying (unsuccessfully thus far) to get it to grey before doing the dings. Not an easy task with pine, but I have a few more ideas to try before staining it...

I've looked several times for info on this but it's tough to choose one method over another w/o trying it first..... and there's a bunch of them. Good luck!

gringoloco 06-07-2011 11:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slick67 (Post 4719264)
I have to admit the faux-tina looks pretty darn good. Overall the truck looks outstanding IMHO. I've said it before and will say it again, you really know how to ruin a perfectly good C10, keep ruining it.

Thanks! I'm fairly happy with it :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thor (Post 4722886)
Nice, nice, nice! This truck turned out amazing! Simply beautiful. I wish you the best on your big day.

Thanks a lot! Getting excited- though it really hasn't set in yet...
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4722898)
I've looked several times for info on this but it's tough to choose one method over another w/o trying it first..... and there's a bunch of them. Good luck!

I think it's gonna have to wait at this point- getting down to the nitty-gritty- I'll post up when I get around to messing with it again...

Little bit o' progress in the way of blackening the grill lettering. Looks complete now. I realized recently that when I got this truck, it didn't actually have the word 'Chevrolet' on it anywhere... :chevy:

Papa-J 06-07-2011 11:42 PM

I wonder if UV lights would have any affect on the unfinished wood, would it turn grey under the light??
also check this link out, maybe it can help with turning it grey
http://www.routerforums.com/finishin...-barnwood.html:metal:

VA72C10 06-08-2011 12:29 AM

grille looks great!

gringoloco 06-22-2011 05:11 PM

One from my folks' place in TN- got a bunch more pics from our travels and the wedding ceremony that I'll post later. Lotsa thumbs up, questions, and offers to buy this past week :cool:
http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j1...8/f5825395.jpg
Posted via Mobile Device

SCOTI 06-22-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 4749809)
One from my folks' place in TN- got a bunch more pics from our travels and the wedging ceremony that I'll post later. Lotsa thumbs up, questions, and offers to buy this past week :cool:

This sounds like what happens to an undisclosed part of the male anatomy when the 'wedding bliss' wears off to the point of her getting a divorce lawyer. Hopefully you meant 'wedding' since you were w/your BTB.

RatRod68 06-22-2011 05:15 PM

awesome!

gringoloco 06-22-2011 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4749821)
This sounds like what happens to an undisclosed part of the male anatomy when the 'wedding bliss' wears off to the point of her getting a divorce lawyer. Hopefully you meant 'wedding' since you were w/your BTB.

Haha- yes. Fixed it :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by RatRod68 (Post 4749825)
awesome!

The truck, or Scot's attention to detail? :lol:
Posted via Mobile Device

RatRod68 06-22-2011 05:34 PM

the truck dammit! lol

tantrumpipeline 06-23-2011 01:56 AM

how to ruin a C10? how to correct a C10 and make it sweet, very nice build, the subtle patina is perfect

Jacfourteen 06-23-2011 02:52 AM

Congrats!
Posted via Mobile Device

SCOTI 06-23-2011 10:02 AM

Where's the pics of this new owner you brag of??

BB72CHEVKT 06-23-2011 10:06 AM

PICS please...

lyrikz 06-23-2011 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gringoloco (Post 4625857)
Does anyone see anything wrong with these shocks? Notice how there is nothing holding them compressed, yet they are fully collapsed- I'd say they're smoked :smoke: Luckily, I picked up a set of Monroes on Amazon for, get this, $6 each with super saver shipping! I love that site for smokin' deals...

I wanted to get them installed to make sure my clearances were still gonna be good with the larger shock body. The pics (taken at slightly higher than ride-height) show just how tight it is around that area- I'm trying to keep at least 1/2" clearance between the exhaust and anything else, so I may have to do some tweaking around the shocks- we'll see. the pics make it look closer than it really is...

pt# on those shocks. Mine do the SAME thing.... Those are for the rear correct? What do you have on the front?