The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Project: Recycle (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=381425)

SCOTI 11-09-2010 02:25 AM

Re: Project: Recycle

Just got home from the shop.

Both the main rails are void of gouges, rust-pits, & production scars. Everything has a nice consistent 60 grit finish so the rails should look fairly smooth after blasting & color.

Tomorrow morning, I'll hook up the trailer & head back to the shop to load them up (I already have all the other parts & x-members @ the house). After everything is in the same place, I'll take an inventory to make sure nothing was over-looked. If the parts match my 'list', I'll stop by 2 different PC shops for quotes. Price pending, I'll leave the parts @ one of them.

I would put up some pics but my computer crashed & I'm using a borrowed laptop. Hopefully by the time the parts are done, I'll be able to start loading up some pics again.

67cheby 11-09-2010 10:27 AM

cant wait to see it , i am hopefully about 1 month away from doing this myself, all of my rear suspension is done already, so it will just be the main frame rails and the front suspension, anyway i am excited for you !!

SCOTI 11-09-2010 08:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And, poof . . .... It's all gone!

aggie91 11-09-2010 08:46 PM

Looks like it is all there. What about the front spindles and the rear end housing? What color are you going to use?

I forgot to ask, are you going to bolt the complete assembly back together and not have any welded/rivet'd cross members? Are you going to use grade 8 fasteners?

Alan's Classic 11-09-2010 08:48 PM

Never seen one taken down that far. Very interesting. :metal:

SCOTI 11-09-2010 10:23 PM

I guess the 'usual' is the front splash pan, shock x-member, & Panhard bar x-members remain in place even when stripped down for PC-ing.

Since I had to re-work each of the rear x-members & the front splash pan was in the way of some frame tweaks, everything had to come out. I thought about the re-assembly process & the 'pros/cons' of just using nuts/bolts or if welding would be necessary. I haven't decided one way or another but I'm always open to others experiences.

Captainfab 11-10-2010 01:38 AM

Bolting it back together shouldn't be a problem. Of course I'm sure you would be using grade 8 hardware and squaring it up. You wouldn't want to be welding on it after powder coating anyway

SCOTI 11-10-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 4287281)
Bolting it back together shouldn't be a problem. Of course I'm sure you would be using grade 8 hardware and squaring it up. You wouldn't want to be welding on it after powder coating anyway

I did bolt everything back together to verify it all worked together. While squaring it up, it was a pretty decent task shifting the main rails to get the dimensions as close as possible (this was w/the hardware semi-tight).

And yes, everything (and I mean everything) is MINIMUM GRADE-8 hardware.

SCOTI 11-10-2010 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aggie91 (Post 4286668)
Looks like it is all there. What about the front spindles and the rear end housing? What color are you going to use?

I forgot to ask, are you going to bolt the complete assembly back together and not have any welded/rivet'd cross members? Are you going to use grade 8 fasteners?

The rear was in my 68 & will just get a good scrubbing w/a degreaser & some hot-water, then a fresh coat of satin black. Front spindles are undetermined @ this time. I have both drop & OE spindles & will use whichever ones set the ride height @ the optimum (for bag & shock height vs. air pressure).

There's still more to do so there will be a 2nd PC load. The T/A x-member is yet to be finalized (always used 1pc driveshafts & Porter has got me convinced a 2pc is the better way to go this low). Once everthing is reassembled, I'll be able to finish up the trans x-member. After that, both will get coated along w/any other 'forgotten' items.

The spindles, calipers, & a-arms will be epoxied.

N2TRUX 11-10-2010 11:24 AM

Houston, we have lift off...

http://www.wallpaper.net.au/wallpape...1-1024x768.jpg

Hart_Rod 11-10-2010 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4253445)
Dang, you guys sent me to the 2nd page. Where's the love??

Ok..... I'll make a small update to keep things on track. I got the sbc/700r4 into the spare frame in order to verify the driveline angles & needed some pinion shims so I could accurately set the trans mount height. I got the shims in today so I'll try & get some time on it this weekend.

Baseball (Rangers are in the play-offs) has been occupying some of my spare time so until the 'fat lady sings', I might be going to the home games.

Oh.... the other thing taking up my time (& thoughts) is my new to me dually that I swapped my 74 for. Although not a project, I'm getting a few 'essentials' to make it unmistakenly 'mine' ;) . . . ......

Sweet shims! Where'd ya get'em?

SCOTI 11-11-2010 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 4287784)
Sweet shims! Where'd ya get'em?

http://www.stockcarproducts.com/

Painter D 11-11-2010 10:11 PM

Does that new dually tow that trailer good enough for ya?:lol:

SCOTI 11-12-2010 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69chevyshort (Post 4290413)
Does that new dually tow that trailer good enough for ya?:lol:

It works pretty darn good.

The current ride height is screwing w/my view when backing (I can't see the end of the trailer @ all) & it's a thirsty SoaB. But, since there's no payment, I'll live w/it until the LS swap.

I just got home from the shop. It's been a long, but productive day ;) .

watahyahknow 11-12-2010 05:34 AM

there these backupcams out there mounted in the numberplatesuround , havent checked prices lately but they where reasonably priced i might be a solution to the backup problem if you can get it either to look underneat the trailer or between the trailer and the car on top of it

lakeroadster 11-12-2010 08:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4290891)
It works pretty darn good.

The current ride height is screwing w/my view when backing (I can't see the end of the trailer @ all) & it's a thirsty SoaB. But, since there's no payment, I'll live w/it until the LS swap.

I just got home from the shop. It's been a long, but productive day ;) .

Hey Scoti, I attached some fiberglass driveway markers to the back of my trailer so I could see them when backing up. They thread into and out of a nut that is welded to the trailer.... for what it's worth to ya.

Alot more lo-tec than a camera, but that's how I roll :haha:

Here is a link to the driveway markers at Home Depot.. they are $2.29 a piece! http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

SCOTI 11-12-2010 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeroadster (Post 4290975)
Hey Scoti, I attached some fiberglass driveway markers to the back of my trailer so I could see them when backing up. They thread into and out of a nut that is welded to the trailer.... for what it's worth to ya.

Alot more lo-tec than a camera, but that's how I roll :haha:

This is what I was going to look for @ my local hardware joint. I figured a couple of fiberglass type 'antennas' that I could just temp attach @ each corner for better line of sight.

In the interim, we dropped the t-gate. I'm always nervous about that decision though....

Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Jonboy 11-12-2010 11:29 AM

LS swap!!

The '64 is coming along great. How long until the parts are back?

watahyahknow 11-12-2010 12:43 PM

good idea those antenna's

SCOTI 11-12-2010 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonboy (Post 4291167)
LS swap!!

The '64 is coming along great. How long until the parts are back?

Who said I'm still waiting :)

jasonhall 11-12-2010 10:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
After the ls swap maybe some bags?

SCOTI 11-13-2010 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonhall (Post 4292111)
After the ls swap maybe some bags?

I'm doing the dually like my other 'tow-trucks' before it. Spindles & cut a coil up front w/flip kit & driveway built AOL set-up. Think budget.... I would love to do Ride Techs Air bar set-up but can't justify the coin for the amount of drop (if I could even find that amount of coin).

I've looked for suspension info on that HHR shop dually but have only found a few pics. Anybody know if any info on specifics are online?

67cheby 11-13-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 4291976)
Who said I'm still waiting :)

dont be STINGY with the PICS then.....come on just give us a little pic fix !!

SCOTI 11-13-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 4292628)
dont be STINGY with the PICS then.....come on just give us a little pic fix !!

I'll get some today. It's basically the same 'ole pics.... now w/a splash of color vs. bare metal (black is a color).

67cheby 11-13-2010 11:36 AM

"basically the same pics with a little color"........we dont care , that is like your girlfriend saying she doesnt want to undress in front of you ..cause she is feeling a little FAT..... WE DONT REALLY CAR WE JUST WANT TO SEE UM !!