The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   60-66 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   HOW TO: Split the brake lines (many have asked) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=460791)

ChiefRocka 01-05-2010 09:38 AM

Re: HOW TO: Split the brake lines (many have asked)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_man (Post 3710402)
QUOTE: The push rod was also modified for this MC.
Any more info on this. I feel the need for a dual MC for safety reasons.
i have a 61 c10 and i think i have every thing i need to complete the master swap. im useing a master i bought from autozone for $15 bucks it is from a 67 c10.
just have a few questions first thanks
1. do i have to drill new holes for this master
2. what mods are needed for push rod(pics please)
3.what is everyone useing for brake lines (they said n/a at auto zone) mine are a little soft.

thanks for all the info

1) No holes need to be drilled...it'll bolt right up.

2) The push rod had to be extended. I sold my black truck, and for some reason never got pics of the rod. I cut the stock rod in half, then welded more rod between the two. I still retained the adjuster part of the rod. Once the master is installed, and the pedal is in it's released position (check your bump stops too) you want the tip of the rod to be about 1/16" to 1/8" max away from the piston.

3) I purchased some straight pieces of line from my local fittings store (or a speed shop).....it came with ends. Bent them and double flared them myself.

Captainfab 01-06-2010 01:00 AM

On the '60-'62's you will need to drill holes to bolt up a '63 and newer master cylinder

Quote:

Originally Posted by rain_man (Post 3710402)
QUOTE: The push rod was also modified for this MC.
Any more info on this. I feel the need for a dual MC for safety reasons.
i have a 61 c10 and i think i have every thing i need to complete the master swap. im useing a master i bought from autozone for $15 bucks it is from a 67 c10.
just have a few questions first thanks
1. do i have to drill new holes for this master
2. what mods are needed for push rod(pics please)
3.what is everyone useing for brake lines (they said n/a at auto zone) mine are a little soft.

thanks for all the info

ChiefRocka 01-07-2010 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 3713603)
On the '60-'62's you will need to drill holes to bolt up a '63 and newer master cylinder

Oooops...thanks Cap, I didn't catch the year.

Keep assuming people have the 63 and up...

firefighter736 04-22-2011 08:44 PM

Don't know if it's cool to bring this back up but I'm thinking that I really want to do this when I put my truck back together in a week or two. I get the concept with blocking off the one T and the split but where I'm lost is the push rod... anybody have clever ideas on how to make a good pushrod? Would a pushrod like this work? Any thoughts on where to get the parts it does?

Thanks!
Barry

slepysal 04-22-2011 10:03 PM

You can use your old master cylinder's push rod. If it is addjustable then addjust it out,if it is not you can have some one cut it and weld it. Or you can get an addustable one from speedway or a used one from the wreckers.
The push rod that is in the link will not work I used that type on my clutch master it had a pushrod with a threded end.