The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Well guys I can finally say I am Pro Street (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=313884)

LuckyHenriksen 11-26-2008 12:14 AM

Re: Well guys I can finally say I am Pro Street

Thats awesome. Im 17 too! Your truck looks great. I love the fat tires. I need to find some of my own :D

f.monroe 11-26-2008 01:38 AM

That looks nice . I had 31x18.5 Mickeys on my truck in 1990 or so . I know that it wasnt fun in the rain but it was a blast otherwise . Speaking of rain , If you plan to drive yours , you need to swap the tires from side to side . The V treads are directional and it will hydroplane like crazy with them running backwards .
Frank

djracer 11-26-2008 08:49 AM

There was a ProStreet 67 Camaro With huge 20 inch wheels at our Pinks All Out. His wheels and tires were 5K but it looked like a million bucks! They had very little back spacing so they had a huge hoop on the outside. The car had amps subs tv's and Ghost Flames. It was his show car but it ran mid 12's I think.

Garagedude 11-26-2008 09:45 AM

Yeah I have heard it is something to drive them in the rain, I guess I am going to take it really easy if I ever cross paths with rain, we don't get a whole lot of rain in SC, I lived in PA ow most all my life and it rained there allot sometimes for a week straight. Living in SC is so much different I grew up around drag racing and would go to Islands Drag way and other places in PA. But when I moved down here about two years ago we got the garage all set up the first year then I bought the truck, so I have visited some local drag strip around here, and racing in the south is a whole different style, for one it is mainly 1/8 mile, two there is no tech inspection and I am surprised nobody has been killed, they don't really clean the track, and it is a very ruff crowd of guys. I will probably race at a track about an hour from here that they say is a little bit better. There was a family track close to my house but, and I know you guys are going to hate me when I say this, my dads company bought it and knocked it down and put homes on it.

djracer 11-26-2008 04:16 PM

Search around we have some really good tracks in the south. I have raced at about 10 within about 4 hours of my house.

Garagedude 11-29-2008 11:28 AM

Yeah the track that is 10 min from my house is really ghetto, but here is one about an hour away that they say is a little bit better, I still need to buy a car trailer before I can go out there though, what are car trailers going for now, I think my buddy paid 2500 for his new but that was 5 years ago.

djracer 11-29-2008 12:12 PM

You should be able to get a real good one for that!

hotrod 80 11-29-2008 04:26 PM

I have a 18' car hauler with dovetail and ramps . Wood deck , but i bought it for $1200 ( had used tires on it) less than 2 years ago .

PA-IndianRider 11-29-2008 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LuckyHenriksen (Post 2967218)
.... I think your prostreet if you have huge rear tires, skinny front tires, loud exhaust, tubs, roll cage, lots of rake, huge tach, etc....

The prostreet look has really become a "sign" of our times.... with so many different tires available today for both the strip & street it's hard to imagine how "limited" things were back when many of us first started fooling around with "hot rods" way back when.

Back in the "days before" there were even "wide ovals" (if you remember that??) the widest tires available to use were "recapped" bald snow tires on the rear.... ha.... unless you could afford cheater slicks which were also very narrow compared to the BIG tires of today.

We've come a long way baby!!!!

Garagedude 11-29-2008 08:32 PM

yeah it has come a long way, but it seems like so many people are still running in a 10" wide tire class.

Garagedude 11-30-2008 09:21 AM

I know allot of you guys are running stock trailing arms did you guys box the stock trailing arms, I have been thing about cutting a 1/8 plate and welding it in there for extra support?

PA-IndianRider 11-30-2008 11:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garagedude (Post 2999260)
yeah it has come a long way, but it seems like so many people are still running in a 10" wide tire class.

The prostreet look.... especially with a car is a pretty BIG expense.... it's practically mandatory that the car be back-halfed with either a 4-link or ladder bar rear suspension.... narrowed rear, possibly a 9" in addition to a drivetrain to take adavantage of those monster tires. This is why so many are sill running narrow tires/rims.

Fortunately a prostreet look on a C10, especially with a trailing arm/coil spring rear can be achieved without all the "mods" mentioned above.

With proper choice of wheels (with correct backspacing) and tires some pretty beefy skins/rims can be run on a C10 without having to back-half.

But then.... if you're NOT willing to compromise and gotta have those 14" rims with 18 - 22" wide tires..... get out the sawsall & cutting torch and start "cutting/chopping :chop: ...... and find yourself a narrowed rearend.

Garagedude 11-30-2008 12:25 PM

True it is a lot of money to back half a car, I know that I had to buy a narrower 12 bolt rear to get those tires under it.

drag_72 12-01-2008 03:35 PM

yah im cuttin my 12 bolt down to fit some meats under mine too!

Garagedude 12-01-2008 04:19 PM

Drag72 have you thought about buying a 12 bolt or a 9inch from another car or truck, Thats what I did its a 12 bolt out of either a camaro or firebird so it was narrower stock then my truck rear, and with the right offset wheels it worked for me.

djracer 12-02-2008 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garagedude (Post 3002584)
Drag72 have you thought about buying a 12 bolt or a 9inch from another car or truck, Thats what I did its a 12 bolt out of either a camaro or firebird so it was narrower stock then my truck rear, and with the right offset wheels it worked for me.

That would be cheaper. I just did the same on my brothers 59 truck. I got an exporer 8.8 rear with 3.73's and a stock posi and disc brakes for 250 at the bone yard.

Garagedude 12-02-2008 01:18 PM

Yeah, I bought that 12 bolt and them just ordered after market axles, Eaton posi, wilwood disk brakes, and a whole bunch other stuff, but the benefit of doing it that way was I didn't have to measure for axles, I know several people who have screwed up measuring and once you buy them you can't return them.

drag_72 12-03-2008 10:37 AM

yah thats not a bad idea at all! my dad my actually have some rear ends layin around cuz hes a big camaro guy i will show ya a pic of his car even tho this is a truck site lol

drag_72 12-03-2008 10:38 AM

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...2/dadscar2.jpg

http://i436.photobucket.com/albums/q...72/dadscar.jpg

drag_72 12-03-2008 10:41 AM

its built pretty hefty! lol BBC 496 all roller and then some haha sorry to steal the thread just had too! lol

Garagedude 12-03-2008 11:15 PM

No problem thats a pretty sick car, I would love to eventually build a camaro or nova, I had my doubts about building a pro street truck, things like could a C10 actually be competitive at the drag strip. DJ has shown me that it actually is possible.

leftcoast66 12-04-2008 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garagedude (Post 3007297)
No problem thats a pretty sick car, I would love to eventually build a camaro or nova, I had my doubts about building a pro street truck, things like could a C10 actually be competitive at the drag strip. DJ has shown me that it actually is possible.

Much more fun to have the only one at the track too. But there is a price to pay for being an oddball, w/ a lot more time and effort, but it all pays off.

djracer 12-04-2008 09:27 AM

I had an awesome camaro back in the day but so did several other guys at most races.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...oldcamaro1.jpg

drag_72 12-04-2008 12:20 PM

yah ours isnt back half or nuthing. we are just goin w. the cal tracs

djracer 12-04-2008 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drag_72 (Post 3008102)
yah ours isnt back half or nuthing. we are just goin w. the cal tracs

Those work. I went 6.70's eigth mile with a 1.42 sixty in the camaro with a 29.5 x11.5 and a basic 355. It just had slapper bars but it had a bunch of gear.