The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Mcgaughys Big Brake Kit (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=358207)

GVizzle 08-27-2009 10:11 PM

Re: Mcgaughys Big Brake Kit

Can you please post Pics of this Piece?

Preferably front and Rear Set ups.

LUV2XCLR8 08-28-2009 03:02 AM

Gvizzle,

My rear axle is still not mounted yet, waiting on my drop arms,
but there are quite a few pictures in my top siggy linky below.

Luv

dnd1978 02-05-2010 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by griffman (Post 3470421)
i installed the front kit fits great have the rear but havent installed yet

Im installing the front Mcgaughys Big Brake Kit and the 2 brake line are short. what did you do about the brake line?

dnd1978 02-08-2010 10:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Finished installing my McGaughy's big 13" Front kit this weekend. The parts in the kit where good quality and went together with no problems. The kit was all bolt on but i had to move my brake lines from the front of the cross member to the back(had to remove & reweld brackets). My kit did not come with directions, part list or discription of expendable parts like pads and rotors. I would reuse McGauphy's. :metal:

N2TRUX 03-27-2010 11:24 AM

Man that's a good looking conversion and a great price. I would still like "specific" details on how the rear can be done.

brett83 03-28-2010 10:12 AM

I used the front kit. Like others said, on 73-87 trucks the factory brake line routing hole through the frame is in front of the crossmember, and the rubber air line they supply you with is way to short to reach there. I took pics and sent them to Mcgaughys, and they basically played dumb and said my truck was the first one they had seen where the factory brake line was not routed behind the crossmember, so I just ordered up some stainless lines to us. the kit definitely looks great though. I have a pic here, but have not been on this site in a year, and can not remember how to post it.

bruce bruce 03-29-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brett83 (Post 3886578)
I used the front kit. Like others said, on 73-87 trucks the factory brake line routing hole through the frame is in front of the crossmember, and the rubber air line they supply you with is way to short to reach there. I took pics and sent them to Mcgaughys, and they basically played dumb and said my truck was the first one they had seen where the factory brake line was not routed behind the crossmember, so I just ordered up some stainless lines to us. the kit definitely looks great though. I have a pic here, but have not been on this site in a year, and can not remember how to post it.

They play dumb or call you a liar. My front hubs didn't spin true. My new wheels looked bent when you spun them. We sent the worst one back and they just wiped the grease out and sent it back. They said they sent a perfect "new" one back. Looks like they tried to drive the races in some more. Little did they know I made a mark on it to see if they were going to send me a new one. When I called them back the ass on the line pretty much called me a liar. I wouldn't buy anything from them agian. It'll cost me about 100.00 to get them machined properly. Not worth dealing with them anymore.

87chevy.com 03-29-2010 08:33 PM

could someone take a picture of the actual spindle... like with the rotor removed..? might be too late for some people but if somone has one ready to be installed, i would surely appreciate that... thanks
clint

way2lo2 03-29-2010 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 87chevy.com (Post 3889578)
could someone take a picture of the actual spindle... like with the rotor removed..? might be too late for some people but if somone has one ready to be installed, i would surely appreciate that... thanks
clint

Here is a pic of the Mcgaughys spindle from their big brake kit with a true C5 rotor and caliper. I am not crazy about the hubs they use with their kit so I mated a readily available and inexpensive street rod hub and vette brake to their spindle. I have to get some batteries for my camara tomorrow and take a pic of the bare spindle. Just so everyone is aware, its the same ole drop spindle with some milling done.
Boris

87chevy.com 03-29-2010 11:27 PM

hey way2lo2, i sent you a pair of pm's... and thanks for the reply... ive been staring at your photos for.. no lie... 10 minutes.. lol nice work.
clint

Justins76 03-30-2010 12:43 AM

Are those grade 5 bolts with metric 8.8 on the calipers? Why not go for grade 8 and 10.9 flange bolts? Might be a bit more but worth piece of mind.

way2lo2 03-30-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justins76 (Post 3890289)
Are those grade 5 bolts with metric 8.8 on the calipers? Why not go for grade 8 and 10.9 flange bolts? Might be a bit more but worth piece of mind.

Good eye, I was waiting for someone to catch that. When I mocked it up, I didn't have the correct length bolts in grade 8 and I usually run factory caliper bolts but in this application they were too short so again I grabbed what I had in the nut and bolt bins. I figured that be strong enough for mock up pics.;)

aggie91 03-30-2010 02:15 PM

I will be watching this thread also...

LMDGUY 03-30-2010 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmcobra (Post 3470191)
I bought the rear, and it did not fit. Rotor hub hole too small, even after machining, rotor would not fit over axle flange. Too bad, looked great.

Iv installed a few aftermarket disk brake kits and have had to do this before.. never mentioned in any of the instructions but when you call they alwasy say "may need to machine down some axles"

Justins76 03-31-2010 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by way2lo2 (Post 3890299)
Good eye, I was waiting for someone to catch that. When I mocked it up, I didn't have the correct length bolts in grade 8 and I usually run factory caliper bolts but in this application they were too short so again I grabbed what I had in the nut and bolt bins. I figured that be strong enough for mock up pics.;)

Watch out for that locktite j/k:lol:

What mc and prop valve you going to use?

PBFAB.COM 04-08-2010 05:11 PM

bump

crakarjax 04-08-2010 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd1978 (Post 3789162)
Finished installing my McGaughy's big 13" Front kit this weekend. The parts in the kit where good quality and went together with no problems. The kit was all bolt on but i had to move my brake lines from the front of the cross member to the back(had to remove & reweld brackets). My kit did not come with directions, part list or discription of expendable parts like pads and rotors. I would reuse McGauphy's. :metal:

What size wheels are those? I like!

dnd1978 04-08-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crakarjax (Post 3908767)
What size wheels are those? I like!

Thanks 20x8 Boss 335

N2TRUX 04-08-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by way2lo2 (Post 3890003)
....Just so everyone is aware, its the same ole drop spindle with some milling done.
Boris

Is there a reason you use McGaughys spindles? Would DJM work as well?

c10seconds 04-08-2010 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dnd1978 (Post 3789162)

How much is this kit? What all does it come with??

PBFAB.COM 04-08-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10seconds (Post 3909312)
How much is this kit? What all does it come with??

Stop by the shop, I have a kit there that you can see in person.

c10seconds 04-09-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by porterbuilt (Post 3909492)
Stop by the shop, I have a kit there that you can see in person.

Ok. Ill see you tomorrow

nlped 04-09-2010 01:08 PM

Hey Nate, did you ever have a chance to measure the replacement hub diameters at the base and the top (nearest the grease cap) and the overall height of the "snout" of the hub?

Thanks,

Ed

dnd1978 04-11-2010 10:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Ed

Will this work? Sorry about the quality of the picture and I forgot to get the width of the hub. Good luck

Dillon D

dnd1978 04-11-2010 10:16 PM

Guys

In the first picture i did beat the dust covers in.

second picture shows how you will need the move the brake line to the back side of the drop member. Hope this helps

Dillon