The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Another frikken Volvo ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=366363)

northburb 11-28-2009 01:23 PM

Re: Another frikken Volvo ?

I thought my neighbor was the only one in the world to mod a VOLVO.....:lol:
he put a 383 stroker in his grocery getter. thing hauls @$$...

hotrod 80 11-28-2009 06:06 PM

Any updates . Pretty cool timing on the prize/exhaust .

NONHOG 11-28-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by northburb (Post 3643434)
I thought my neighbor was the only one in the world to mod a VOLVO.....:lol:
he put a 383 stroker in his grocery getter. thing hauls @$$...

Pictures welcome !

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod 80 (Post 3643770)
Any updates . Pretty cool timing on the prize/exhaust .

No updates as of late, this week my boy is up from Portland and last week we were in Az. Next week should see some progress. (I hope)

I did find out the 4r70w is 1" longer than the AOD trans. So that explains the need for fabrication on the trans mount. Its good, gives me a reason to fire up the welder :metal:

hotrod 80 11-29-2009 11:03 AM

I am looking into this . These cars are plentifull and luxury . Most are driven by conservative owners and are well cared for . The prices on these Volvos are really reasonable . I have put a V8 in a Chevy Luv . This is doable .

Twisted Minis 11-30-2009 01:32 AM

My friend used to have an 86 Volvo wagon with a 91 TPI in it. He bought it that way. It had faded paint, and a very clean leather interior and power everything. Nice car, smooth to drive. He used to do some awesome burnouts in it. It was originally Diesel so ti was legal here, and it had I think 4.11 gears. I thought I got caught doing a burnout in it once when I passed a cop. He didn't even look at me. We joked about it later, saying he probably thought it was smoke from the tail pipe.

Do you think you could do me a big favor if it's not too inconvenient? I'm looking for some headers for a 302 swap that fit very tightly to the block, and I like the BBK stuff. Can you measure from the flange at the head to the furthest point the tubes stick out towards the frame? And the collector at its furthest point from something significant on the block?

NONHOG 11-30-2009 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisted Minis (Post 3646469)
My friend used to have an 86 Volvo wagon with a 91 TPI in it. He bought it that way. It had faded paint, and a very clean leather interior and power everything. Nice car, smooth to drive. He used to do some awesome burnouts in it. It was originally Diesel so ti was legal here, and it had I think 4.11 gears. I thought I got caught doing a burnout in it once when I passed a cop. He didn't even look at me. We joked about it later, saying he probably thought it was smoke from the tail pipe.

Do you think you could do me a big favor if it's not too inconvenient? I'm looking for some headers for a 302 swap that fit very tightly to the block, and I like the BBK stuff. Can you measure from the flange at the head to the furthest point the tubes stick out towards the frame? And the collector at its furthest point from something significant on the block?

Can do ! I will be pulling the engine back out soon. I'll try and get measurements this week. Hope that will work.

Twisted Minis 11-30-2009 03:38 AM

Thanks! Any time will work, I'm not in a big hurry because it is for my own personal project. Which means it rarely gets worked on in between customer stuff. I'm just trying it find out if an off the shelf header will work, or if I would be better off buying a flange and building a set (I'd rather not).

NONHOG 12-02-2009 12:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some pics I took that may help, I can measure again after its out
and get better pics.
Right now my alternate tinkering is a new garage door opener and that should be done tomorrow. Then back at the Bertone if I can stand the cold :waah:

NONHOG 12-06-2009 02:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well I did not get very far today after washing the truck, my wifes car and the Amazon as well as loading the firewood rack,fighting blackberry vines.
Cold but very nice day today. When I got around to the Bertone it involved laying on the concrete and I only lasted about 15 minutes.
Here is a picture of a new tool that will come in very handy.

383Ram 12-12-2009 04:13 PM

Interesting swap, but why not a small block chevy? I am digging this thread for sure though, i love weird interesting swaps being i am doing one myself.

NONHOG 12-12-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONHOG (Post 3644109)

Next week should see some progress. (I hope)
:

It didn't ! 15-30 degree's out It'll wait. Heat is on in the shop now temp was a balmy 34 in the shop last I checked.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hotrod 80 (Post 3644825)
I am looking into this . These cars are plentifull and luxury . Most are driven by conservative owners and are well cared for . The prices on these Volvos are really reasonable . I have put a V8 in a Chevy Luv . This is doable .

Do yourself a favor and buy the book from JTR "Jags that run" full of good info.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 383Ram (Post 3671224)
Interesting swap, but why not a small block chevy? I am digging this thread for sure though, i love weird interesting swaps being i am doing one myself.

I would have preferred a SBC but it would have taken me years instead of months hooking up the wiring, I bought a kit that allows me to plug in the
Ford harness to the Volvo harness. Needed to be EFI so mamma is happy.
If all goes well it will be her DD.
ps digging your swap too !

Twisted Minis 12-12-2009 05:42 PM

Thanks for the pictures, very helpful.

NONHOG 01-10-2010 10:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Between hanging my Quaker State sign and actually driving my 49, I actually
worked on the Bertone today. I have been under the car a number of times.
Looking at how the heck I'm going to free up some space for the exhaust.
Regardless of if I do it or farm it out. Its hammer time ! (again)
Today I worked on the crossmember. The idea is to make it stronger and at the same time use at least one of the factory mounting holes.
I learned that reading glasses REALLY help us old guys see what the heck were doing when welding. I'm not so good of a welder but missing the joint completely ? Oh brother see pics...............

NONHOG 01-10-2010 10:46 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Ran out of welding gas, more later..........

NONHOG 01-22-2010 02:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Still showing myself (and this board) how not to fabricate stuff :lol:
The crossmember is coming along very slowly but its coming.
More crappy welds tonight.
Picture showing the bolt holes that would have lined up if I used an AOD which is 1" shorter.
Also how tight the exhaust will be.

Soon I will be able to tighten up the mounts and set angles, get measurements for the driveline then pull the engine. Dress it and put it together hopefully for the last time. But I wont count on that.

NONHOG 02-01-2010 01:19 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Spent some time on the Volvo this afternoon, pulled out the engine/trans and beat on the firewall/floor as well as cutting a slice off the lower control arm mount. Seems like moving backward but as long as I massaged enough in the right areas I shouldn't have to pull it out again.

nuke1 02-01-2010 01:23 AM

nice, this is the most BAD A$$ volvo on the planet. So cool, keep it up.

NONHOG 02-01-2010 01:48 AM

Driveshaft question

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nuke1 (Post 3772210)
nice, this is the most BAD A$$ volvo on the planet. So cool, keep it up.

Hey thanks ! I just hope it all works :lol:

I will ask the driveshaft shop but am really curious now, about the proper measurement am I measuring from the rubber dust seal to the flange on the diff ? I suspect that would be correct. (the yellow arrow)

Mrs.Nonhog 02-01-2010 01:52 AM

Volvo

Quote:

Originally Posted by NONHOG (Post 3772246)
Hey thanks ! I just hope it all works :lol:

It better work ! :lol:

yellow70GMC 02-01-2010 02:31 AM

Thats an awesome project and i cant wait to see more. Thought i'd post these for some inspiration. This is a volvo my buddy's cousin built, its powered by a small block chevy and runs 10.5 in a 1/4 mile.
http://www.ivmotorsports.com/content.../sickvolvo.jpg
http://www.ivmotorsports.com/content...volvo00004.jpg

Frizzle Fry 02-01-2010 03:23 PM

Re: Volvo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nonhog (Post 3772255)

:lol: pressure's on now! :lol:

dieselarmy13 02-01-2010 04:15 PM

Nice lookin build! Any more pics of the whole car?

NONHOG 02-01-2010 05:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by dieselarmy13 (Post 3773157)
Nice lookin build! Any more pics of the whole car?

A couple of pics w/o a kitty cat t-shirt taped to the fender :lol:
Needs the hood repainted to be a nice driver, paint is thin but has a few years left in it.
I'm thinking about painting bumpers black also, but would need some donor bumpers in case the boss don't like it.
It'll get wheels someday. Thinking 16's would look nice.

Sillyoldman 02-01-2010 09:50 PM

Re: Volvo

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrs.Nonhog (Post 3772255)

Aaah crap. Who let you in?

NONHOG 05-19-2010 12:31 AM

Ford fans ? WTH ? rear main question

2 Attachment(s)
Spent some time on the Bertone tonight. Took the transmission off the 5.0 so I can replace the rear main seal and the transmission front seal and smelled something as I was pulling the flexplate bolts off. Seems that there is oil seeping from the bolts. It may just be from the rear main (which from what I could tell had no big leak?) Seems odd to me, I'll replace the seals as its easy now but have to wonder why the oil on the bolt threads ?