The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   heres the progress of the build of my 57 chevy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=391290)

Kim57 03-11-2010 01:20 AM

Re: heres the progress of the build of my 57 chevy

Very cool build. Glad you figured out how to post pics.
Kim

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 01:56 AM

5 Attachment(s)
heres some picts of the truck sitting outside. I brought it back in to start shaving the drip rails. the truck ends up sitting outside alot and when I tarp it it seems to rust faster then if I just let it be. I plan on sandblasting it before I do any bondo work.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 02:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
here I shaved off the rail and round rodded the top and rounded off the rear of the door. will have more picts to show this better

OrrieG 03-11-2010 12:45 PM

FYI tarps will cause more water related problems because they retain condensation overnight even when it isn't raining. And it keeps it from evaporating.

nightmare_56 03-11-2010 01:05 PM

i like the idea of rounding the edge of the door any more pictures

Kabwe 03-11-2010 01:19 PM

Really nice build you having going on. Nice craftsmanship keep up the good work.

1LoC10 03-11-2010 01:31 PM

Cool build....coming along better than I was thinking it would...good job

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 09:04 PM

thanks guys for the compliments.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 09:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well as you can see the cab has all the basic rust issues that go with these cabs. I decided to smooth out the steps entirely and I may even round out the inner step corners, but havent decided just yet.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 09:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
my friend John and I worked on the cab for 15 hours over the weekend. I took monday afternoon off so we could do a bit more work. was starting to get a little bit excited at this point. I fully welded the cab corners and tacked in the 16 gauge sheet metal. will be sand blasting the cab this weekend Im hoping and will take out the sheet metal so that I can blast all the seams and joints before welding in the sheet metal solid.

ChuckDriver 03-11-2010 09:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Nice build! That dash looks familiar! Ha!!

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 09:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
heres the other piece I wanted to smooth out. will show more of the patch panel work on the floor once I get everything tacked into place.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChuckDriver (Post 3854946)
Nice build! That dash looks familiar! Ha!!

yeah I showed my sweety your dash and she started laughing at the fact that they were even the same color! looks really nice, you did a great job!

ChuckDriver 03-11-2010 09:32 PM

Thanks, it was definetly worth the work! Keep the pics coming!!

nuke1 03-11-2010 09:36 PM

That is a great build you are doing there! Nice skills, what do you do for a living. I have always wanted to visit up there, heard that is is beautiful. Great work and keep it up!

GRIMSS 03-11-2010 09:49 PM

Looks great. Can't wait to see more.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 09:54 PM

thanks! yeah its really beautiful here. its one of the nicest places a person could live. lots of lakes and mountains everywhere. not to many people here, still has that small town feel to it. no ones really in a hurry here, takes awhile to adapt to that. anyway Im a ticketed bodyman and painter by trade, and build lots of projects for friends and family members.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 10:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
next it was time to start adjusting and setting my door gaps. Im really fussy when it comes to gaps on body panels. I think my first boss taught me this!lol I began by jacking the cab around and setting my bodylines to the doors before I welded the doors shut. then I took welding rod and filled in any areas that I wasnt happy with.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 10:03 PM

you can see that the gap at the back of the door and the cab are to tight! but once I was done jacking things around they fit really nice. one more point! always rebuild your door hinges before trying to adjust your doors! been there and done it the hard way way to many times.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here you can see the difference in the gaps after jacking things around!

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 10:11 PM

5 Attachment(s)
here you can see how the gaps are starting to take some shape! I decided to round the door corners just to make it a little cleaner flowing. the door gap at the front on the right door still needs some fine tuning to match the drivers door.

yukon ratrod 03-11-2010 11:02 PM

so Im to a point where I need to make some decisions. I ordered a shaved handle kit with remotes, but not really to sure if im still thinking that way! I watch overhaulin and all I complain about is the lack of door handles. I bought new bear claw latchs and waiting for them to show up in the mail. I hate trying to adapt rods and mechinisms to make the stock handles work with the bear claws so im thinking of having a button that makes contact with the stock handle when you push it to open the door, and have the door locks on remote. so what do you guys think??? handles or no handles. please be honest.

nightmare_56 03-11-2010 11:07 PM

handels i dont like shaved handels on classic cars and trucks

hammerdog57 03-12-2010 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukon ratrod (Post 3855071)
you can see that the gap at the back of the door and the cab are to tight! but once I was done jacking things around they fit really nice. one more point! always rebuild your door hinges before trying to adjust your doors! been there and done it the hard way way to many times.

Do you have any pics showing how you jacked cab around to fit doors?

BlueJeep 03-12-2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yukon ratrod (Post 3855225)
I hate trying to adapt rods and mechinisms to make the stock handles work with the bear claws so im thinking of having a button that makes contact with the stock handle when you push it to open the door, and have the door locks on remote. so what do you guys think??? handles or no handles. please be honest.

I'm doing handles on my 49. I'm adapting rods, mainly because I want it to be a mechanical system and not electrical. I've found a source for the little plastic clips and trying to find a source for 5/32 rods to use. It's definitely more work than shaved, but should achieve the end goal that I'm looking for.