The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   2004 yukon xl tranny slipping (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=392569)

neo297 03-25-2010 01:46 PM

Re: 2004 yukon xl tranny slipping

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 3881363)
Wow, now this super fluid keeps transmissions from burning up?:lol:

His 3-4 clutch failure is not fluid related. Low fluid level maybe but not the type

If the transmission gets hot enough to break down dexron III its toast anyway I dont care what fluids in it.

my fluids are checked regularly and levels were good there was no warning of impending failure in regards to any slippage or shifting issues. I have had a slight noise that no one was able to isolate( wheel bearings, tire ballance/wear patterns were checked and tranny fluid replaced with a new tranny filter just in case and the fluid was red and not burnt then, that was 3- months ago there was no metal found in pan but no change in noise after) that noise was intermitent almost a harmonic that would increase in volume with acceleration and decrease with deceleration but was not there with coasting. Then one day it drove to work fine and upon start up and heading home 3-4 started slipping like hell. 1-2 and reverse work fine.

neo297 03-25-2010 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 3875768)
GM recommends Dexron III to 06. PM me if you want to and ill recommend some shops, 90 day warrenty is a joke.

I called the shop you reccomended Gregg quoted me 2100 for rebuilt with upgraded 3-4 clutches etc and rebuilt tc, turn key installed with 3 yr 75,000 mile warranty. I just have to limp it to him from here but the cost of rebuilt upgraded trannys with slightly less warranty#s online seem to be running in the 14- 1800$ range with me having to do the labor I think taking it there is the best option for me.

lyrikz 03-25-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 3881363)
Wow, now this super fluid keeps transmissions from burning up?:lol:

His 3-4 clutch failure is not fluid related. Low fluid level maybe but not the type

If the transmission gets hot enough to break down dexron III its toast anyway I dont care what fluids in it.

I think we are just saying RUN the dex 6. Not saying thats what caused it.. Thats my opinion. But, wouldnt running an inferior fluid speed up the process of the clutches failing>?

clinebarger 03-25-2010 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo297 (Post 3881384)
my fluids are checked regularly and levels were good there was no warning of impending failure in regards to any slippage or shifting issues. I have had a slight noise that no one was able to isolate( wheel bearings, tire ballance/wear patterns were checked and tranny fluid replaced with a new tranny filter just in case and the fluid was red and not burnt then, that was 3- months ago there was no metal found in pan but no change in noise after) that noise was intermitent almost a harmonic that would increase in volume with acceleration and decrease with deceleration but was not there with coasting. Then one day it drove to work fine and upon start up and heading home 3-4 started slipping like hell. 1-2 and reverse work fine.

I was just stating low fliud level can cause this

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo297 (Post 3881390)
I called the shop you reccomended Gregg quoted me 2100 for rebuilt with upgraded 3-4 clutches etc and rebuilt tc, turn key installed with 3 yr 75,000 mile warranty. I just have to limp it to him from here but the cost of rebuilt upgraded trannys with slightly less warranty#s online seem to be running in the 14- 1800$ range with me having to do the labor I think taking it there is the best option for me.

Sounds good

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyrikz (Post 3881461)
I think we are just saying RUN the dex 6. Not saying thats what caused it.. Thats my opinion. But, wouldnt running an inferior fluid speed up the process of the clutches failing>?

If he desides to run Dexron VI thats great, but a transmission shop is going to use DexIII because when you buy it in 55 gallon drums the price difference is alot more than 20 bucks. In my opinion DexVI will not make the transmission last longer.

lyrikz 03-25-2010 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clinebarger (Post 3881681)
I was just stating low fliud level can cause this

Sounds good

If he desides to run Dexron VI thats great, but a transmission shop is going to use DexIII because when you buy it in 55 gallon drums the price difference is alot more than 20 bucks. In my opinion DexVI will not make the transmission last longer.

Dex 6 is more money.. I just went through this. I found WOLFS HEAD ATF fluid is a match with Dex 6. If your at a shop, have them send you a barrel of that. It works great in TONNSSS of applications. Its only 1.5 more a quart. Something small like that.

neo297 03-25-2010 06:39 PM

I appreciate both of your input. I understand that the fluid was unlikely to be the culprit but just as I want to replace the trans with upgraded parts to reduce the likely hood of early failure it is a small price to pay to upgrade the fluid.

truckdude239 03-25-2010 07:29 PM

alright guys we gone on enough about what fluid it run. so let not argue about it anymore and give the op poster the info he needs. :)

neo297 03-26-2010 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 3881980)
alright guys we gone on enough about what fluid it run. so let not argue about it anymore and give the op poster the info he needs. :)

I enjoy the back and forth just shows folks are passionate about their trucks and what they think is the best for them. I listen (read) and research but truly do thank those who take the time to try and help.
Paul

truckdude239 03-27-2010 07:56 AM

okay i just wanted to make sure it didn't get out of hand. and that you got the info u needed

neo297 04-09-2010 07:13 PM

I just wanted to update I got my truck back from phoenix transmission in weatherford texas today and it runs great. They pulled my tranny put in their mater rebuild kit = clutches, extra clutch pack, steel rings, seals, gasket heavy duty torque converter,filter kit, bushing kit foreward sprag, epc solenoid 3-2 shift solenoid,tcc valve and sleeve, piston, 12qts atf (dexron 3)with 3yr 75,000 mile warranty they had the truck monday and finished it yesterday. I am very pleased with their service and turn around time. I saved $1200-1400 and have a much better warranty than any local shops here would give me. I do appreciate the responses to my initial request for help from all who replied.
Paul

truckdude239 04-09-2010 09:19 PM

gald you got it fixed

lyrikz 04-12-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo297 (Post 3910749)
I just wanted to update I got my truck back from phoenix transmission in weatherford texas today and it runs great. They pulled my tranny put in their mater rebuild kit = clutches, extra clutch pack, steel rings, seals, gasket heavy duty torque converter,filter kit, bushing kit foreward sprag, epc solenoid 3-2 shift solenoid,tcc valve and sleeve, piston, 12qts atf (dexron 3)with 3yr 75,000 mile warranty they had the truck monday and finished it yesterday. I am very pleased with their service and turn around time. I saved $1200-1400 and have a much better warranty than any local shops here would give me. I do appreciate the responses to my initial request for help from all who replied.
Paul

Dex 3?:rolleyes:

neo297 04-12-2010 10:51 AM

yes they say dex3 "multipurpose" not dex6

lyrikz 04-12-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo297 (Post 3915424)
yes they say dex3 "multipurpose" not dex6

OK...

If it was my rig, which i have an 05 Yukon XL, i would call the dealer and just give them your vin# and ask what fluid your trans takes.. Im like 97.9% positive its dex6.

It might not even really do anything by running dex3, but what if>????

neo297 04-12-2010 10:56 AM

So far it shifts smooth seems to accelerate stronger but twice it started chugging then died no check engine light almost like fuel starved. First time it restarted right away second it had to sit for about ten min then started right up both times it had been running on the highway 60-70 mph for at least 30 min I changed fuel filter about 5 months ago unsure what it is never had done this before. Shop said it had not done it to them and did not think it tranny related. alternator putting out 14 volts at idle battery about 12.5- 13 motor off .?

lyrikz 04-12-2010 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neo297 (Post 3915431)
So far it shifts smooth seems to accelerate stronger but twice it started chugging then died no check engine light almost like fuel starved. First time it restarted right away second it had to sit for about ten min then started right up both times it had been running on the highway 60-70 mph for at least 30 min I changed fuel filter about 5 months ago unsure what it is never had done this before. Shop said it had not done it to them and did not think it tranny related. alternator putting out 14 volts at idle battery about 12.5- 13 motor off .?

Very common on those is the fuel pump. They either die intermittently or just go out 100%. Next time it wont start. Go bang on the gas tank really hard.. See if she fires up?

neo297 04-12-2010 11:06 AM

I was afraid of that when my 98 5.7 would need a new fuel filter you would lose passing power meaning if you pushed on the accelerator it would bog and lose power letting off would increase acceleration, as the demand for fuel increased i guess it could not get enough replacing the filter would cure the problem everytime. This was not acting the same way though so i was thinking it might be pump related.

clinebarger 04-12-2010 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lyrikz (Post 3915428)
OK...

If it was my rig, which i have an 05 Yukon XL, i would call the dealer and just give them your vin# and ask what fluid your trans takes.. Im like 97.9% positive its dex6.

It might not even really do anything by running dex3, but what if>????

GM changed to dex6 in 2006. But the transmission is the same anyway so it doesnt matter. GM didnt change a thing in the 4L60E. If you have one of the new 6 speed autos then it matters

btw it says right on the dipstick what it had for factory fill.

neo297 04-12-2010 01:13 PM

I am very happy with the tranny right now my wife just reminded me that this hesitation and dying did happen before i changed my fuel filter 4-5 months ago and when i did the filter was broken! The internal portion was loose and would slide back and forth you could shake it and it would rattle like hell. the new filter did not and the problem did not reoccur. The old filter was a fram i believe and so was the new onw i put on. I forgot about that being like that, i will change filters and see if this happens again.

clinebarger 04-12-2010 02:11 PM

You need to get a fuel pressure gauge on it so you know what pressure your running, spec is (55-62 psi)

I agree with lyrikz, bang on the tank if it does not start, rubber mallet works best.

neo297 04-12-2010 03:00 PM

I agree but with what happened before the internal component of the filter broke so looking into the end you could see this canister like piece moving around and the hole in it was lower than the outlet hole so as it moved it would block the opening so less or no fuel would get through so i would expect lower values in pressure at the fuel rail in any case a new filter is cheaper than a $300 pump as a first try, but i have no guages anyway can they be rented or borrowed from autozone o'reily etc? plus its so erratic i never know when it might happen so i guess i would need to buy some and keep in the truck.

truckdude239 04-13-2010 09:56 AM

i hate fram plainn and simple they are cheap you'd be better witha gm filter or a puraltor filter

neo297 04-13-2010 01:43 PM

you know it is one of those things you go to autozone to get a number of items and get the filter they have on the shelf. I had totaly forgotten about the filter being broken when i took it off until my wife reminded me even my son who was helping knew it wasn't right for it to be broken never had i had a fuel filter break before I do not know if thats the case now I have been driving the truck for the last two days to see if it dies on me but so far no. When I get paid next week i'm going to replace it not with a fram!,then if it happens again i'll consider the pump as the next item to check. I do have to say the tranny is working well and will consider replacing with dex 6 when i need to service the tranny next. I believe the humming/harmonic noise i get from the front that did not change with the tranny fix may well be front pinion we will cross that bridge when we get there!

steppside69 04-18-2010 08:34 PM

I was told that FRAM and PURALATOR are the same filters made at the same factory just painted the different names on them, May be wrong.
Eric

truckdude239 04-18-2010 10:17 PM

fram and puralator or most defiantly not the same filter ever cut them open? totaly diffrent filter