The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Blazer retractable convertible top (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=405625)

zammer 06-09-2010 12:06 AM

Re: Blazer retractable convertible top

O.K..
Just got back from getting another frame from the guy i bought the first one from... its in the exact same shape, just in 15 pieces... perfect for using to section and extend the arms to the front of the windshield...
So i am in for $700 now.... i figure i have to do this the right way and try my best at getting this to look and work as sweet as possible :metal:
If this thing works it will be worth every dime

zammer 06-09-2010 11:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is what i welded up yesterday ... the header bow using the top of the blazer windshield frame that i hacked off and almost threw out... I welded the bottom plate on and some flat bar on the back side for extra reinforcement... Next i will take the old bow and cut off the 2 brakets that the arms bolt onto and fab them on somehow...
I painted the inside of it thats whey the pics may show a little bit of black paint on top

Attachment 594269

Attachment 594270

Attachment 594271

zammer 06-26-2010 04:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
well, i spent lots of time on this top the last 2 weeks... I had 10 days off from work and I did a bit of work on it every minute i could with having 2 little kids around the house now and I came up with this..
I sectioned the top and made it 3.5" wider then it was as an impala rack and I finally figured out the pivot points that would work to have the top open and close properly. I also lengthened the arms to reach the windshield around 2 feet, next I need to get some air rams to hopefully make this a powered top..
AS for where the top will end in the back I think i've decided to go all the way to the tailgate but with the "fastback" kind of angle on it.
These pics are shot on the blazer the 1st time its seem sunlight since September last year, don't mind the bodywork as it is barely bolted on and the tub will be coming off the frame once I get all the holes and welding done inside for this top project.

Attachment 603651

Attachment 603652

Attachment 603653

Attachment 603654

Attachment 603655

zammer 06-26-2010 04:47 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Attachment 603656

Attachment 603657

Attachment 603658

Attachment 603659

cvalcore 06-26-2010 05:24 AM

man im liking this cant wait to see it with fabric on it.

zammer 06-26-2010 05:40 AM

It may be a while before the fabric ever gets on... after I'm done with the air ram etc. it will be blasted and painted and then it will sit until the bodywork and paint are done so it could be around a year away but yeah I can't wait to see the fabric on too.. :metal:

kvn1011 06-26-2010 11:10 AM

Looks great! That's a great idea! Can't wait to see more

PHAT TONY 06-26-2010 11:27 AM

The fast-back to the tail gate will be really bichun, good work!

cvalcore 06-26-2010 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zammer (Post 4059685)
It may be a while before the fabric ever gets on... after I'm done with the air ram etc. it will be blasted and painted and then it will sit until the bodywork and paint are done so it could be around a year away but yeah I can't wait to see the fabric on too.. :metal:

good things take time but i think its going to look great i might have to steel some of your idea's on it.:c2:

Thealien 06-26-2010 05:43 PM

very nice. Patiently waiting the completion!

zammer 06-26-2010 11:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
O.K finally my rendering made in microsoft paint LOL... This is my interputation of simulated fabric for now :lol:

So i'm in between what to do with the side windows now.

Should I :

- just a blank black side with no windows like a panel truck
- have the full window opening using a plastic window
- have the side with a small window but mostly with fabric..

Attachment 603888

Attachment 603889

Attachment 603890

Attachment 603891

kvn1011 06-27-2010 11:13 AM

i like the last one the best, but i think matching the angle of the rear window with the angle of the hatch would look good either way it should come out awesome!
i added a few lines to kinda illustrate my idea
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t.../blacktop2.jpg

kvn1011 06-27-2010 11:18 AM

not really a hatch but i didnt know what to call it lol

1lo67 06-27-2010 11:55 AM

Man that's a great idea you got going on there:metal: i had thoughts of doing something like that to my old 72 Roadster before i let it go. very nice... one of a kind for sure looking forward to more progress.

PHAT TONY 06-27-2010 12:26 PM

I think part of the decision involves how the top sides attach to the quarter tops. A side window of any sort would be the coolest looking; it'd be nice to have the window removable/retractable with the top up.

cvalcore 06-27-2010 08:23 PM

i think you kids would proubly like a window. but thats a tought one i think the second looks good.

zammer 06-27-2010 10:06 PM

Yeah I was thinking about the removable window idea, that would be pretty cool. Have the last pic top with removable windows that either button up to the top sides and the bedsides OR have some sort of latches to secure them. I think the easiest way would be to have the blank sides but thats not what i would like to do. I agree that the kids would like to have a side window too when the top is up... I would be surprised if the top is up more then 20% of the time but that all depends on when the snow decides to leave up here...

Effeckt 06-28-2010 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvn1011 (Post 4061095)
i like the last one the best, but i think matching the angle of the rear window with the angle of the hatch would look good either way it should come out awesome!
i added a few lines to kinda illustrate my idea

I agree. This is the winner in my book as well. Although I think there will need to be some sort of separation most likely between the glass from the door and the rear window in the top. Fantastic project though! I'm loving this and have wanted to do this to mine for a long time.

chevy2racr 06-28-2010 05:55 PM

just a thought, Burb front door windows might help you out with this project. or if you have new ones cut have them cut square on the back corner....

kvn1011 06-28-2010 06:57 PM

i agree with the blazer window, possibly electric if theres room
just an idea, you can have the orange vent connected to a regular window to roll up as one unit((assuming there is enough room/clearance,
or have that vent on a pivot ((see pic --> red with yellow dot for pivot point with an actuater electric??
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t.../blacktop3.jpg

blazin 06-28-2010 09:36 PM

awesome idea zammer.. sounds like you have lots of guys helping you with ideas. if you ever need someone to drink a beer with while your working... give me a call. im in your neck of the woods. i wouldnt mind coming to have a look at it and see how it will work. i got a price from wayne's upholstery to make me a custom top, nothing to fancy.. .. but the price was 2500 bucks. using boat canvis.. i saw a picture of a half top he did on a 72 blazr and it looked ok. i dont like the half tops though.

zammer 06-28-2010 10:03 PM

Thanks guys for the ideas and compliments.... its keeps me motivated... The project has definatly been fun but at times ( a couple ) i found myself wondering what the hell i took on here.. :lol: That usually happens when i guy needs a brake from doing 105 measurements in an afternoon and it seems like you are where you started earlier. Thats how a guy learns i guess and what makes it a good challenge.

I really like the roll up window idea, I thought of that also but i seemed like it would be hard to get a wondow to go all the way down with having the rear tubs in the way... I'll look into what window options there are and the burb window idea too.
Tomorrow I am going to the local princess auto ( you canada guys know how sweet that store is for us up North here ) and look at some air cylinder options and where I will have to anchor them - which will give me a better idea of if i can fit a side window or not as the cylinder will be mounted on the front side of the wheel tub too..

zammer 06-28-2010 10:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Heres what i was thinking for air cylinder mounting and maybe where the side windows can fit..

Attachment 604711

Attachment 604712

brian26 07-06-2010 11:17 PM

If you choose electric for your ram, I'd suggest micro-limit switches to stop the current when the cycle is done.

Get that down, and then think 'remote control'.

zammer 07-07-2010 10:57 PM

I picked up some air cylinders with a 2.5" diameter and they should be good for 500 pounds of force each @ 100 PSI which should be more then adequate..
Now the only problem is I got them to fit pretty close but the required stroke length from full open to fully closed is around 6.8 - 7 Inches...
The cylinder i got has a 7.8" stroke - about an inch too much...
So what is the easiest way to reduce the stroke to what i need?
One way i have read that i can do it is by shortening the cylinder wall so the piston won't stroke as far... that seems like lots of work.
The other option i was thinking about is using some sort of stopper so when the top is at it's required retracted position - which also would be the retracted position on the cylinder, it would restrict the cylinder from closing that extra inch which would put strain on the top rack frame to try and get it to close more....
Any other ideas how to reduce the stroke?