The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project: Rufus Restoration (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=505573)

67cheby 07-16-2012 01:55 PM

Re: Project: Rufus Restoration

Great progress !!

shearjs 07-16-2012 02:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
At least one pic for finally making it to the 2nd page...

shearjs 07-16-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigguy69 (Post 5488699)
looking good

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5489097)
Great progress !!

Thanks 67cheby. Can't wait to see some paint on that cab of yours!

Tinkermc 07-16-2012 03:10 PM

I don't want 2 sound like a know it all but in pic 7 the spring on the right looks to be a bit short, looks a lot like the new ones I just got and all 4 of mine are 2 short. can't wait 2 see how they look. Your truck is looking good and I like the color

shearjs 07-16-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5489225)
I don't want 2 sound like a know it all but in pic 7 the spring on the right looks to be a bit short, looks a lot like the new ones I just got and all 4 of mine are 2 short. can't wait 2 see how they look. Your truck is looking good and I like the color

I'm assuming that you're referencing post 7 where the 2 springs are sitting side by side on the rear trailing arm. The spring on the left is the stock spring that came on the truck and the spring on the right is a 6" drop spring that came with my ECE 4/6 drop kit. It really helped the looks of things, but I can not attest to how they feel on the road yet. Some day....some day. Thanks for checking things out. I always appreciate some feedback.

mcmlxix 07-17-2012 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shearjs (Post 5488674)

How is the hood clearance? I have the same setup with CaptainFabs bracket and a 2005 GMC hydroboost / MC combo.....

Also, what are you doing for a proportioining valve/block? I picked up a Wilwood adjustable piece because I swapped to rear disc brakes. That MC uses a 7/16x24 fitting and most are 3/8x24.

shearjs 07-17-2012 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 5490217)
How is the hood clearance? I have the same setup with CaptainFabs bracket and a 2005 GMC hydroboost / MC combo.....

Also, what are you doing for a proportioining valve/block? I picked up a Wilwood adjustable piece because I swapped to rear disc brakes. That MC uses a 7/16x24 fitting and most are 3/8x24.

With the hood latched, there's enough room to stick the tip of your fingers between the fill spout on the MC and the bottom of the hood, so I'd guess maybe 3/8"-1/2" clearance. I'm going to keep the 04 MC for now but I've been considering changing to a more period correct MC for the hydroboost. I haven't decided what to do with a proportioning valve yet, but was considering the Wilwood adjustable that you used. Thanks for the heads up on the fittings. I was unsure of the size. What did you do for your hoses?

mcmlxix 07-17-2012 09:17 AM

www.Kore3.com makes a really nice braided hose that I'll be using. I was thinking that I will probably run them from the proportioning valave to the frame as well to replace the coils in the hard line. It would absorb any amount of chassis flex and look cleaner. Still trying to figure out the specifics. AutoZone had a 3/16 hard line with the correct end on each side to go from the MC to the Wilwood valve....

Here is a link to some good brake tech ....CLICK HERE

shearjs 07-17-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcmlxix (Post 5490570)
www.Kore3.com makes a really nice braided hose that I'll be using. I was thinking that I will probably run them from the proportioning valave to the frame as well to replace the coils in the hard line. It would absorb any amount of chassis flex and look cleaner. Still trying to figure out the specifics. AutoZone had a 3/16 hard line with the correct end on each side to go from the MC to the Wilwood valve....

Here is a link to some good brake tech ....CLICK HERE

Kore3 makes some nice stuff. Did you make your own pressure hoses to run from your ps pump to hb to steering box? I was able to use the stock hoses but plan on taking the hose from the hb to the steering gear to a shop to have a different fitting put on to fit the steering box inlet. Thanks for the brake tech link...good stuff there.

mcmlxix 07-17-2012 05:13 PM

My power steering hoses were hacked off. I ended up buying -6 AN fitting for the HB and steering box. I'll have a local hose place make some AN hoses when I get to that point....

shearjs 07-25-2012 08:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
No real progress lately, as things have been a little hectic. However, my soon to be grandmother-in-law, has temporarily handed me the keys to her 54 F*rd truck to cruise around in for our upcoming wedding. I know it's not a Chevy, but it does give me some motivation to get kicking on my own project and get it back on the road. Plus, anytime you can put some miles on a classic, it's a good day.

True 67 07-25-2012 09:54 AM

Sweet...just keep the small projects going and eventually it will be done....

True

shearjs 07-26-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True 67 (Post 5504390)
Sweet...just keep the small projects going and eventually it will be done....

True

Thanks! Still plugging away at it. Thanks for checking in.

Tinkermc 07-26-2012 02:53 PM

nice lookin F*rd. May not be a GMC but I think I would drive it anyway, once in a while

tsali39 07-26-2012 10:21 PM

Like your project. Four eyes rule!

VA72C10 07-27-2012 12:16 AM

Great looking project!!!

missinfishin10 07-27-2012 06:45 AM

Looks Great, I'm subscribed...

shearjs 08-01-2012 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5506722)
nice lookin F*rd. May not be a GMC but I think I would drive it anyway, once in a while

Not too bad for an old heap. It's fun to get out and beat around in.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsali39 (Post 5507444)
Like your project. Four eyes rule!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5507614)
Great looking project!!!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by missinfishin10 (Post 5507781)
Looks Great, I'm subscribed...

Thanks! I'm hoping for more frequent updates in the next few weeks.

shearjs 09-24-2012 01:01 PM

So it's been ages since I've posted any real progress. This past week I've dove head first back into my LS engine wiring harness. With any luck, I hope to have it wrapped up by the end of the week, and ready for a test fit on Saturday. I'll post some pictures soon.

Rusbuilt 09-24-2012 10:04 PM

Man your project is looking great! We will be having a swap meet in Nashville soon if you would like to come.. here is the link for the info..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=541395

shearjs 09-25-2012 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5610889)
Man your project is looking great! We will be having a swap meet in Nashville soon if you would like to come.. here is the link for the info..
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=541395

Thanks man! I appreciate the feedback. A swap meet in Nashville sounds like a great idea. Always good to meet some local truck fellas. I'll check the schedule to see if I can make it. Thanks again for the invite.

Rusbuilt 09-25-2012 09:02 PM

Yes sir! Hope you can make it!

shearjs 10-01-2012 07:57 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Update!

I've finally been able to squeeze in a little time with the old girl again. The past week or so I've been back into the wiring. I have my wires ready to start creating a fuse box, and recently laid them out on an old 5.3 I have lying around to see how things are going to fit. Unfortunately I forgot to snap a picture of that.

Also had a chance to stick on new calipers and pads and mount some new tabs for the brake hoses.

And finally, I followed along with Hart_Rod's mounting of the gas pedal and created a bracket to mount it up. My brake pedal needs to be bent over slightly, but I think it fits under there pretty well.

slosteve 10-01-2012 08:13 PM

Is that a 'drive by wire' throttle assembly?

mcmlxix 10-02-2012 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slosteve (Post 5623725)
Is that a 'drive by wire' throttle assembly?

Yes. look close and yo uwill see the connector on top... This looks like where mine will be as well....