The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB BBC) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=511822)

smoknbarrels 03-03-2012 01:39 AM

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

2 Attachment(s)
there is a lot of tin that has come off this truck so far, I should have thrown those door skins on top of all that!
Attachment 883223
and this is as far as I got today. Hopefully I have a reasonable day tomorrow. I can't wait to start moving onto something else soon, I'm not going to miss this cutting, welding, and grinding too much. I really wanna get the cab on the truck, then I will actually feel like I am moving forward!
Attachment 883224

smoknbarrels 03-03-2012 01:43 AM

Re: Build: I've never done bodywork...but I can change if I have to! (bagged '67 SWB

Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 5226715)
Nice progress. Looks like you got a big ole shop to work in, that's cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

Haha, yea, you don't know the half of it! I just spent the last 9 months building my own shop (just finished it 2 weeks ago) I'll have to take some photos of it for ya tomorrow, it is super sweet! a nice heated 40'X32' but it has no air compressor in it yet and my tools are still in storage, so I am using my dads for now... his is great as it has a 16' celing, so I can lift the cab up with the tractor indoors!

JRBECK64 03-03-2012 07:55 AM

Your doing great on getting the patch panels in. Trust me that if you take a little more time and get everything to fit right now that the Bodywork and paint will come out much better. I have a 67 GTO setting on the other side of my shop just wispering to me everytime I go in the shop and thats whats making me want to get this one finished other than I just want to drive this truck and enjoy it. Great to hear you have a shop now that you can work in. I was restoring trucks in my attached garage and when I saw the overspray on the end of the house where I shot my paint that was when my Wife and I decided it was time to build our shop. Keep the pictures coming.

JRBECK64

duallyjams 03-03-2012 08:00 AM

What is a roloc disc and what is it used for ?

smoknbarrels 03-04-2012 03:53 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 5226948)
What is a roloc disc and what is it used for ?

It's a 3M Product which works really good to clean surfaces, grind metal...you name it!

Well didn't get too much done today, as the girlfriend needs time too, so just spent a few hours, so I got the doors all skined and welded up, I forgot to put the handle backing plate on before attaching the skin on one door, so it was a bugger to weld it after the fact.
Attachment 883923
Attachment 883924

And here is my pride and joy or blood, sweat, and tears (depending how you look at it) which I have been working on the last 9 months! She's a 40x32 and did everything myself for the most part. everything from the concrete to the gas fitting. I even installed a drain and the entire floor slopes to it, the only flaw this building has is that I didn't slope the little areas in front of the overhead doors..so when it rains against the doors the water runs down and still leaks into the shop under the doors and goes into the drain.
Attachment 883925
10' celing and tons of lighting, this will be the new home for all my future projects! My very own work space...I never thought this day would ever come!
Attachment 883926

VA72C10 03-04-2012 04:00 AM

nice shop!!!

shawno72 03-04-2012 04:03 AM

Can you say Man Cave?
Posted via Mobile Device

JRBECK64 03-04-2012 08:12 AM

The Doors look Great, and I bet it was a bugger to put in the backing plates after the fact. Congrats on the shop and I bet it will serve you well in all your future Restorations.
JRBECK64

duallyjams 03-04-2012 08:14 AM

A shop like that is still on my wish list.

smoknbarrels 03-04-2012 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5228875)
nice shop!!!

Thanks! it didn't come easy.
Quote:

Originally Posted by shawno72 (Post 5228877)
Can you say Man Cave?
Posted via Mobile Device

you can say that again!
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRBECK64 (Post 5228937)
The Doors look Great, and I bet it was a bugger to put in the backing plates after the fact. Congrats on the shop and I bet it will serve you well in all your future Restorations.
JRBECK64

Thanks, I've never done a door skin before, but it's really not hard, I still have to punch the holes for my trim.
Quote:

Originally Posted by duallyjams (Post 5228938)
A shop like that is still on my wish list.

Yea, I would have liked to go taller, but then it would have dwarfed the house completely.

Bud1300 03-04-2012 12:05 PM

I was looking for the same parts for the front floor pan (question) where did you find them...

smoknbarrels 03-04-2012 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud1300 (Post 5229281)
I was looking for the same parts for the front floor pan (question) where did you find them...

Bought them years ago, can't remember which local distributor I got it from, but most aftermarket tin is all from the same place in taiwan.

welded in the rear cab support, hung the door and aligned the door, went to go put the outer rocker on, and found it was bent... as in too much to use, I should have known better anyway, this is the one piece of tin that actually came with the truck, the last owner figured he was gonna replace that rocker, but never did, so I am assuming some kid was using as a bat or something because it has a slight curve from about mid way all the way to the front.
held me up, so now I gotta go source out a new one tomorrow morning.
Attachment 884463

Low Elco 03-05-2012 11:08 AM

Looks good, keep it up! (nice shop, too!)

LEX 03-05-2012 11:45 AM

Congrats on your first time doing bodywork. Everything is looking great.
You should be proud!

67cheby 03-05-2012 11:46 AM

looking great !

Bud1300 03-05-2012 03:42 PM

Thanks keep up the good work.

smoknbarrels 03-06-2012 01:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 5231557)
Looks good, keep it up! (nice shop, too!)

Thanks!
Quote:

Originally Posted by LEX (Post 5231632)
Congrats on your first time doing bodywork. Everything is looking great.
You should be proud!

haha! thanks, I'm learning, it's exciting, but will take quite some time to be proficient at!
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67cheby (Post 5231637)
looking great !

Thanks, I follow your build all the time, that thing is gonna show outstanding!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud1300 (Post 5232110)
Thanks keep up the good work.

no problem, thanks!

Had some good progress, got the rocker on, and welded in the last cab corner. Major milestone tonight - The floor is DONE!! so happy about that!
here is a photo of the finished up welding...I guess I clould have buzzed the weld with the DA to make it look nice!
Attachment 885328
If you look back a few posts you can see the mess the frame was under, so I also spent a few hours digging it out and sorting out junk to clear a nice area to start pounding on that chassis so I can get it finished off to throw the cab on it - for good this time! I don't really have too much left to do on the frame, just lots of little odds and ends I need to clean up and run a few more air lines. One major job on the agenda is to build a trans cross memeber that also stiffens up the frame, that will take some time... Looking forward to tomorrow!

JRBECK64 03-06-2012 08:14 AM

Are you doing both sides? The cab corner and the Rocker look like they are really strait. Lookes like the lines on the door and cab are all lining up so your doing great. This thing will be rolling down the road before you know it.. Looking forward to some more pics...

JRBECK64

smoknbarrels 03-07-2012 02:43 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JRBECK64 (Post 5233852)
Are you doing both sides? The cab corner and the Rocker look like they are really strait. Lookes like the lines on the door and cab are all lining up so your doing great. This thing will be rolling down the road before you know it.. Looking forward to some more pics...

JRBECK64

yea, they were rotten on both sides, so it all had to go, yea the lines aren't too bad, but I still had a terrible gap on the passenger door, the door is pulled back as far is it can go too, I still remember it was the same even before I skined the door, so I am certian it was nothing I did, I may shim it later and see if that helps at all.

Well it took me forever to clean up the area for me to work, my dad has this great habbit of piling everything up, or using a tools and not returning them, nothing worse then concentrating on the task at hand, then spending 20 minutes looking for a 9/16 socket. Now that I have my own shop, my life expectancy will go back up.
did only a few things on the chassis, as cleaning took half the day.

$500 for such small headman headers, and they still can't even finish them properly, thats a leak waiting to happen!
Attachment 885937
Little weld and grind job, and they should now work as intended.
Attachment 885938
big things on the list is to plumb fuel and air lines now...
Attachment 885939

VA72C10 03-07-2012 02:59 AM

Nice! Looking good!

502ms 03-07-2012 10:46 AM

Great job! Love the shop! Lift coming next?
I might have missed it, but you said 2 motors were toast, what did you end up with?
Posted via Mobile Device

JON70CST 03-07-2012 11:49 AM

Subscribed! Looks like its coming along nicely, and glad to see another Alberta build! I might be hitting you up for some pointers, I plan on converting to bags this spring/summer rather than coils.

(joey) 03-07-2012 06:50 PM

great job so far.also ...love the man cave

67c10rustbuket 03-08-2012 12:36 AM

Nice build, looks great and that motor is going to be wicked fast!

68GMCCustom 03-08-2012 01:30 AM

subscribed. nice work!