The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Alternate Tinkerings (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   any freestyle bike collectors out there? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=549878)

68panelman 11-13-2012 01:22 PM

Re: any freestyle bike collectors out there?

Wow, memories. I wish i save all my old bmx bikes and skateboards from the 80's. Thanks for the pics.

made2drag 11-13-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rochlow (Post 5700353)
I don't collect now, but when I was in my teens I had 2 Hutch Trickstars, Haro Master, Haro Sport, Diamond Back Viper, and a Skyway T/A. Started out on a Huffy Stew Thompson edition.

I didn't own them all at once, and work my tail off for them in my grandfather's used car business. Only one I miss is the Haro Master, I set it up to be just like Dennis McCoy's when he rode for them.

oh yes, dennis mccoy always had the cleanest rides! he was the best at flatland and ramp for several years.

made2drag 11-13-2012 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68panelman (Post 5700375)
Wow, memories. I wish i save all my old bmx bikes and skateboards from the 80's. Thanks for the pics.

glad you liked them!

gearys 5600 11-13-2012 07:12 PM

About a year ago I bought a beat up 80 model Ford truck off of a guy and in the back of it there was a faded out candy apple red Hutch judge missing the wheels, A friend of mine offered $200 for it which was all I gave for the truck. I guess some of these old bmx bikes are worth $$$.

sounds like I should have kept my Redline PL20 I had in the early 80's.

made2drag 11-20-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gearys 5600 (Post 5700886)
About a year ago I bought a beat up 80 model Ford truck off of a guy and in the back of it there was a faded out candy apple red Hutch judge missing the wheels, A friend of mine offered $200 for it which was all I gave for the truck. I guess some of these old bmx bikes are worth $$$.

sounds like I should have kept my Redline PL20 I had in the early 80's.

yes, actually the judge's bring unbelievable amounts of money. ive seen them go for $2000 in survivor condition for a complete bike and 5 or 600 for frames alone.

made2drag 04-26-2013 12:40 PM

ttt

CC69Rat 04-26-2013 02:53 PM

I had a couple back in the day, Haro Master, GT Pro Performer, Haro Sport custom build, etc. I was on a locally sponsored team at one point. We did half pipe shows, ground stuff .. just downtown Chatt and at the local parks. I would ride from sun up to sun down. Those were the days bro!

made2drag 04-26-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 6036138)
I had a couple back in the day, Haro Master, GT Pro Performer, Haro Sport custom build, etc. I was on a locally sponsored team at one point. We did half pipe shows, ground stuff .. just downtown Chatt and at the local parks. I would ride from sun up to sun down. Those were the days bro!

awesome!
i remember the days when we rode from sun up to sun down too

made2drag 05-11-2016 09:20 AM

Anyone in Alabama have any bike pics they want to post? Id be surprised if there wasn't at least one other collector other than me on this board.

nlped 05-18-2016 03:05 PM

I still have a few BMX bikes, but way back in the day I went through a ton of them. I had a few SE racing Quadangles, a Nomura Racing, couple of Torkers, etc. I still have an older Hutch Pro Racer that I still play around on (read try to break my hip on), A "newer" Gary Fischer Freestyle Pure Bender and a PK Ripper. I was lucky enough to have been sponsored by a big bike shop out of Richardson TX back in the day, so I got to try alot of them out. My Hutch was always my favorite.

richard2717 05-18-2016 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1st time seeing this thread. I still have my early 80's Mongoose. Sold the Redline and Race Inc. many years ago, just never could bring myself to let the mongoose go.

made2drag 05-20-2016 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nlped (Post 7597406)
I still have a few BMX bikes, but way back in the day I went through a ton of them. I had a few SE racing Quadangles, a Nomura Racing, couple of Torkers, etc. I still have an older Hutch Pro Racer that I still play around on (read try to break my hip on), A "newer" Gary Fischer Freestyle Pure Bender and a PK Ripper. I was lucky enough to have been sponsored by a big bike shop out of Richardson TX back in the day, so I got to try alot of them out. My Hutch was always my favorite.

very cool! Nice to know im not the only one still playing around on them!

made2drag 05-20-2016 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 7597732)
1st time seeing this thread. I still have my early 80's Mongoose. Sold the Redline and Race Inc. many years ago, just never could bring myself to let the mongoose go.

nice! I don't blame you.... I have a dozen that i'll never let go. in fact, they have multiplied to like 15 now since this thread started. Ive got to stay off www.bmxmuseum.com !

youngrodder 05-26-2016 10:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I bought a new Kuwahara Brovo Pro back in the summer of 89'. This was the last freestyle bike I owned. I owned and rode all different brands up threw my teen years. Later when I was in college I traded the bike for free winter storage for my lowered S-10 blazer. More than 20 yrs later the guy I traded it to offered it back to me for free. I was shocked to see how much they were selling for. I was amazed at how well everything still worked and decided I should restore it to its former glory. It is all original. The only thing I'm missing is the correct rear rim. I took it to a bike shop and for $100 I had a compete tune up done on it. I added new tires and grips (and a bunch of elbow grease)and gave it to my 9 yr old son as his bike. He is so stoked to ride dads old bike..... I told him I guarantee none of your friends will have one like it. I will never get rid of this bike.

Marc

made2drag 05-27-2016 05:34 PM

Marc that is one of the best of the best! Very popular with the collectors because they are super hard to find. And no matter what.... don't mess with the splatter paint! But yeah, I see those go for a grand easy and frame and fork would pull $700 with no problem. The bars would sell for $200 and crank set another $100. The araya front rim $50...stem $100... That is definitely a keeper!

Love that bike man

made2drag 05-27-2016 05:37 PM

here ya go

http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=668948&p=1

youngrodder 05-27-2016 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by made2drag (Post 7607187)
Marc that is one of the best of the best! Very popular with the collectors because they are super hard to find. And no matter what.... don't mess with the splatter paint! But yeah, I see those go for a grand easy and frame and fork would pull $700 with no problem. The bars would sell for $200 and crank set another $100. The araya front rim $50...stem $100... That is definitely a keeper!

Love that bike man

Thanks. I did buy the screw in fork pegs as those were missing. I should try to get the matching araya rear rim. I'm kind of anal and like to put things back they way they were. No I don't plan on screwing with it. I even have the owners manual..ha ha. I was surprised at how well the brakes works as well as the gyro....

The best advise was from the guy at the bike shop that talked me out of restoring it and just make it mechanically sound and let my kid enjoy it. I had to pull out a few tricks on it and my kids said "Dad please stop your going to kill yourself" They have no idea what we used to do with our bikes...

Thanks
Marc

youngrodder 05-27-2016 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by made2drag (Post 7607190)

Very cool...I remember a lot of those ads from the BMX mags....A walk down memory lane.

Marc

Willowrun 05-29-2016 06:52 AM

I never had any "nice" bikes as a kid but I was always envious of the kids that did. I've picked up a couple of survivor riders this year, an '80 Schwinn Predator and an '85 GT Pro. The predator is pretty much all original besides tires. The GT was sold as a frame and fork set only so I'm collecting old parts to get it era correct. I'll put up some pics when I take some.

youngrodder 05-29-2016 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Willowrun (Post 7608480)
I never had any "nice" bikes as a kid but I was always envious of the kids that did. I've picked up a couple of survivor riders this year, an '80 Schwinn Predator and an '85 GT Pro. The predator is pretty much all original besides tires. The GT was sold as a frame and fork set only so I'm collecting old parts to get it era correct. I'll put up some pics when I take some.

Funny, I also had a Schwinn Predator. It was white and blue I believe and I added bright green skyway mags..I wish I had some pics of it...I always wanted a baby blue PK Ripper, but it was too expensive..

Marc

BR3W CITY 05-31-2016 12:13 AM

I had a few early 91-94ish Mongoose dirt track bikes, a GT street bike, and the crown jewel was my Hoffman Evil Knievel collectors edition. I bought it and rode it for a year or so before realizing that it was more of a "collection" bike.
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...e/UNI_0411.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...e/UNI_0416.jpg

made2drag 05-31-2016 09:27 AM

very cool guys

jjzepplin 05-31-2016 10:34 AM

I had one of these with Tuff Wheels and Redline Flight Cranks with CW Big Bars and could ride a wheelie from Texas to San Francisco.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3702
Only 300 or so ever made and mine was #251.
That was the serial # too.
I used to break FMF's and Race Inc's but this thing was bullet proof and quite a tank. Could Still Bunny Hop it up on to a park bench table though.

made2drag 06-01-2016 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjzepplin (Post 7610656)
I had one of these with Tuff Wheels and Redline Flight Cranks with CW Big Bars and could ride a wheelie from Texas to San Francisco.
http://bmxmuseum.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=3702
Only 300 or so ever made and mine was #251.
That was the serial # too.
I used to break FMF's and Race Inc's but this thing was bullet proof and quite a tank. Could Still Bunny Hop it up on to a park bench table though.

sweet

LEEVON 06-01-2016 09:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was so in love with my bikes...that's where I started the hot rod fascination. On the weekends, I would tear them down, clean grease and adjust everything and I probably packed the crank bearings about once a month. I always had the best bike in the neighborhood and wound up fixing all my friends bikes. I bet we put 150 miles/week or more on them. There was a local bike shop in on Santa Fe Dr. in old Overland Park, KS that was so nice to us little hellions. I can't remember the name but they are gone now.

I loved my '92 GT Vertigo so much I kept it for many many years because I was going to give it to a son if I ever had one. A few years ago, I let it go in a yard sale thinking they'd never be collectors items. It was exactly like this on the Christmas day when I got it but I put on a GT "wings" sprocket, chrome seat post, metal pedals, new grips and ditched the chain guard and reflectors. My son is the same age now as when I got mine. Sure would be nice to have it back so he could ride it or at least hang it in the shop.