The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Looking to replace our baby (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=820432)

Gotenntitans 04-19-2021 12:49 PM

Re: Looking to replace our baby

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8910549)
Ahh. Very nice.

Yep........that's what it looks like. If I end up with it, I'm gonna get a GPS unit under it as soon as possible.

67C10Step 04-19-2021 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 8910547)
The one I'm looking at just says "Sport" in red on the rear of the bed. It does not say "350SS."

Like my 1992 model I posted would be my guess?

FleetsidePaul 04-19-2021 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8910549)
Ahh. Very nice.

I'd take it all day long. That's a good looking truck.

LT7A 04-20-2021 04:48 AM

That would be a really fun truck and a great one to replace the one that was stolen. I would love to have an SS454 and I have an irrational affinity for 454s, but you could get a crate smallblock to make that truck do whatever you wanted it to do. Just beware, if you buy it, they will probably find your other truck within a couple weeks...

There is a good thread in the OBS build section where a member is building a half-ton swb 454 the way Chevy ought to have done it, using the best components off of all of the trucks at that time. Might be a worthwhile reference read.

1976gmc20 04-20-2021 10:55 AM

Quote:

if you buy it, they will probably find your other truck within a couple weeks...
So what's the downside ??? ;)

72c20customcamper 04-20-2021 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8910909)
So what's the downside ??? ;)

Have to buy it back from the insurance. Most likely a Salvage title after you get it back . BIL had a dodge stolen insurance covered it and it was found 6 weeks later beat to hell. He let them keep it

Gotenntitans 04-20-2021 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8910916)
Have to buy it back from the insurance. Most likely a Salvage title after you get it back . BIL had a dodge stolen insurance covered it and it was found 6 weeks later beat to hell. He let them keep it

All we had on our stolen '90 GMC was liability so there's no insurance that'll be paying off on it. I'm still hoping to find it and if that is it in Texas, it doesn't look too beat all to hell. It was my dad's and he gave it to my son and he had it all through high school and had his senior pictures made with it so it's been part of the family for a while now. It would be nice to get the Milk Cow back in nice condition. What I really hope is that they catch em driving it and bust em, but whoever has it now (wherever it is) will probably claim that they bought it off somebody a year ago and they knew nothing about it..........even though they probably knew all along it's HOT. Thieves!

72c20customcamper 04-20-2021 01:47 PM

On the everyday cars only have collision on my 3500 . But the all 3 have comprehensive . Mostly for glass and deer hits . Also covers theft wish someone would steal one:lol: get more money than I could sell them for

FleetsidePaul 04-20-2021 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8910966)
Also covers theft wish someone would steal one:lol: get more money than I could sell them for

:lol: Yup. My Mustang and Model A were insured for more than I got for them. If I saw someone stealing them I wouldn't have stopped them. :buh:

Gotenntitans 04-20-2021 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gotenntitans (Post 8910957)
It was my dad's and he gave it to my son and he had it all through high school and had his senior pictures made with it so it's been part of the family for a while now. It would be nice to get the Milk Cow back in nice condition.

https://i.ibb.co/ZBBs3zT/john-leaning-on-truck.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/MsWKf0F/john-on-truck.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Bc0bgRm/john-truck.jpg

Gotenntitans 04-22-2021 10:43 AM

https://i.ibb.co/QKRgPvN/Sport.jpg
Made the deal last night with the owner in Ohio. This is not the truck I bought, but looks exactly like it. I will post pictures when I get it. Looking forward to being back in the "OBS" club again. :)

Boog 04-22-2021 11:18 AM

Well great. I'm glad you found one.

Gotenntitans 04-22-2021 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boog (Post 8911870)
Well great. I'm glad you found one.

Thanks Boog. NOW, to get GPS on it so I won't have to go through that mess again. The guy says it's 100% all original 1990, which means I'll need to replace belts, hoses, tires, & maybe water pump, thermostat, and fuel pump. He also says it has the original stereo/cassette player. I'm gonna get a CD player put in it...........and drive it!

67C10Step 04-22-2021 12:14 PM

Nice find and photos are a must!

FleetsidePaul 04-22-2021 02:09 PM

Beautiful truck! Congratulations!

So now you have to wait for it to be delivered? I remember waiting for my Porsche and my Corvette to be delivered. In reality it didn't take too long at all but it seemed like forever to me. I was jonesing for them.

Gotenntitans 04-22-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8911959)
Beautiful truck! Congratulations!

So now you have to wait for it to be delivered?

I told the owner that he could let me know if he wanted a personal check or a bank draft. Once it's mine, I'll contact Amerifreight and play the waiting game. It took them 3 weeks to get my wife's Camaro delivered from Iowa to Arkansas, but they did it and I was very pleased. The time waiting will allow me time to find the CD player, get my tires ordered (gonna go with Hankook Ventus H101 like I had on the stolen Milk Cow), and line out what all it might need as far as belts, hoses, etc. I have a friend who is a professional certified mechanic so he'll know what it needs.

I'm thinking for sure belts, hoses, and tires. Anyone else got an idea of what would need replacing on a 1990 all original truck that's about to become a daily driver...........let me hear it. Water pump? Thermostat? Fuel pump? I don't want to get out on my first cruise in this thing and have it sitting on the side of the road flashing for help......that would be embarrassing. :)

FleetsidePaul 04-22-2021 03:10 PM

You have more patience than I do. I was like a kid staring at his Christmas presents. Waiting to rip in and play with his new toys.

Dead Parrot 04-22-2021 03:19 PM

All fluids are suspect. Check the spare tire. Spark plugs and wires. Heater core is probably near end of life. Radiator as well. AC seals and clutch. Brake MC and wheel cylinders/calipers.

A lot depends on if it was being driven regularly or was a dusty 10 year garage inhabitant just before being sold.

LT7A 04-22-2021 03:35 PM

First off, congratulations! Those Sport trucks are really cool looking. Second, I hope you will link us to a build thread in the OBS section. You might not be doing an actual full-on build, but even a cleanup and tune-up is cool. Third, I would recommend leaving the original stereo in and tying in a bluetooth connection to play songs off your phone. The the OBSs are easy to get into with random keys and I have had my stereo stolen twice. I would replace the speakers with higher quality units since they are invisible and even do a hidden amp, but I would not replace the head unit in the dash. Fourth, I have owned my OBS since new, and I cannot believe how many parts are still original. I have 235,000 miles and have yet to replace some of the bulbs even. For what it's worth, I get on RockAuto occasionally and see when they're having a closeout on quality maintenance parts, and just add to my box for when I need it. I would get triple A if you don't have it and don't worry about replacing everything up front. With the quality of parts today, you may be replacing an original part that has 30,000 miles left on it with a part that won't last 300. That's just my opinion and experience. I would put that energy into cleaning, sealing, and preserving everything inside, outside, and underside. I've followed your thread on a stolen truck and I'm excited for you. Keep us updated.

LT7A 04-22-2021 03:37 PM

Parrot makes a good point. All fluids for sure, and a good check of all parts that can deteriorate, if it's been sitting.

1976gmc20 04-22-2021 05:00 PM

Quote:

Anyone else got an idea of what would need replacing on a 1990 all original truck that's about to become a daily driver...........let me hear it.
I would jack up the front end and shake the heck out of it to check for bad ball joints, tie rod ends, wheel bearings, etc. I just had the pitman and idler replaced on my 89 which was long overdue. It's just a ranch truck but it was getting scary driving 15 miles of highway to go to the county dump.

And, congratulations! :)

67C10Step 04-22-2021 05:11 PM

Good points on the replacement stuff. I did my father in laws 1991 OBS 4x4 and it needed brake hoses up front, calipers, rotors, and pads. Along with tie rods and idler arm. It also needed the hose from the filler neck to the fuel tank. Easiest to unbolt the bed and jack it up for that job.

FleetsidePaul 04-23-2021 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8912010)
I would jack up the front end and shake the heck out of it to check for bad ball joints :)

My wife did that when we got married.

Gotenntitans 04-23-2021 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8912209)
My wife did that when we got married.

Aw naw, you just ain’t right!

Gotenntitans 04-23-2021 07:34 AM

I really like my wife’s Sirius XM radio in her Camaro. Can you get those put in older vehicles?