The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Truck Audio (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=111)
-   -   Where does a guy start? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=762341)

Pinchecharlie 05-04-2018 01:18 PM

Re: Where does a guy start?

Now I just want to know why more than how lol! But of course you are right! I do not want to buy an osicilscop ever to be honest. Ya ha it's like my twin turbo project to much for my puny little brain. Ok so iam just going to shi# can all this over the top stuff. Unless there's a really good reason not to use Rockford fosgate I think I'll use the ones you recommended and call it good. Maybe when iam ready I'll ask for set up advice too! I've been reading a lot on diyma but it is hard reading ! Not to many noobs around there. Their classified have some good stuff but for now I'll do new just to be safe. I'll buy my helix there in a couple years lol! Thanks my friend you've been a good sport and I appreciate all your time! I'll check back in when iam installing!

Travisarmenta 07-24-2018 09:19 AM

Just read through this entire thread and thank you guys for the input. I'm in the same boat, only my ride is much larger. I want my kids to be able to enjoy the music while sitting in the back, but I don't want to break the bank either.

elorenzof 02-21-2019 08:18 PM

@BIGlaSS,

Did i read that you would stay away from a center speaker(s) with the kick panel speaker set up? Or the other option would be to put in two Tweeters in the center speaker opening? I am looking at a 6.5 kick panel speakers 3 or 4 way probably 3 way, a 10" enclosed subwoofer for under the passenger side and a kicker CX 600.1 amplifier with a Retrosound Long Beach Radio as it has a built in Subwoofer output. I have a budget of about $1,000 for this and it fits it. Gas tank still in the cab so i don't have room behind the seat. Will this suffice for some good sound? Any advise please? Im pretty eclectic ( country, Jazz, Pop, Heavy metal too).

BIGglaSS 02-24-2019 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elorenzof (Post 8471503)
@BIGlaSS,

Did i read that you would stay away from a center speaker(s) with the kick panel speaker set up? Or the other option would be to put in two Tweeters in the center speaker opening?

Correct. When you don't install mids/tweets in the same location, you will have to use a processor and time delay to tune.

Kudzupatch 02-26-2019 01:36 PM

I have scanned the responses and there is some solid advice. I am just going to toss out what I did in my Suburban and not trying to talk you into or out of anything.

Being a big music fan when I bought mine it was the first thing I did. I replaced the head unit with one with a JVC 25 amp output I think it was. Bluetooth receiver was a big deal for me as I link to my phone and Pandora to it. I put my money into replacing all 6 speakers in the car with the best I could afford and that would fit in the existing space.

I added a Sound Ordinance power sub. It fits (barely) under the front passenger seat not taking up space as I travel in this one and didn't want a big sub and amp taking up cargo space. I used to teach kayak building classes and would load it full of supplies, so space was important. I was a little concerned about this choice but have never regretted it.

Here is the newest version. It is not going to rattle windows but it provides plenty of bass for a realistic levels. I listen to a lot of Jazz and Blues which never had strong bass but this can bring it out no problem. But when I listen to newer music that really pushes the bass level I have to turn the bass down a lot from the older classic music.

Not audiophile quality obvious but I huge improvement over stock and in my opinion has a excellent sound. I have no complaints at all with it. It will get louder than I am going sit and listen to it at and the powered sub produces plenty of bass. For what it is worth.....

slowcpe 02-26-2019 02:13 PM

I'll give an update on my system that I've mentioned in this thread. Here's a few things I've noticed:

Having the dash speakers really livens up the system but been struggling balancing them out with the components. I'm probably going to unhook them for a while before I decide whether or not to leave them.

I mounted the tweeters just above the drivers in the kickpanels. I need to re-adjust the drivers tweeter position. There are times driving down the road that I'm unsure its even playing.

The PS8 definitely adds much needed bass to the system but its pretty much localized to the passenger side of the truck. Pretty sure I'm going to add a second under the drivers seat to even out the bass. This will require a new, smaller amp that will fit on the trans hump under the seat. But first I want to test without the dash speakers so I know if I need to order a 2 or 4-channel amp.

Overall the system sounds really good and have gotten several compliments.

Johns 66 05-02-2019 06:35 PM

I read this entire thread and being a noob myself am wondering where people are putting speakers.

I will not cut my doors....especially since they are NOS.....
The only thing I have bought is a center dash speaker that has a dual speaker set up but mounts like the original...I think it was 40.00 so Im sure its not the best speakers out there.

I really like having the fresh air vents and don't really like how the speakers stick out when placed in the kick panels and maintaining the fresh air vent.

Also adding to this is that I bought a 24 gallon tank that goes behind the seat and it pretty much takes up all the room behind the seat.

I have read about some low profile speakers that fit under the seat but again don't know much about these...
Any suggestions?

BIGglaSS 05-03-2019 03:23 PM

John, there is no 'perfect' solution. Mid and high range speakers are designed to be aimed within about 30 degrees of the listener. So, that rules out under the seat. A center speaker does not have stereo separation. I chose to use the vents for installation in my 57. It was a last resort decision because I wanted to keep the system stealth.

Under seat subwoofers lack authority, but may be OK if you're only looking to fill in a missing frequency.

I agree to not cut doors for speakers. Worse case scenario, if you want to hide everything, use 2 speakers in the center grill. Other wise, some kind of dash or kick panel pods are a must have for good quality sound.

Putting mid and high range speakers under the seat or the rear corners will never sound like the recording is intended. You would never go to a concert and turn your back the the stage, right? But as a last resort, a lot of guys do that, and are happy with it...

Johns 66 05-03-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGglaSS (Post 8518799)
John, there is no 'perfect' solution. Mid and high range speakers are designed to be aimed within about 30 degrees of the listener. So, that rules out under the seat. A center speaker does not have stereo separation. I chose to use the vents for installation in my 57. It was a last resort decision because I wanted to keep the system stealth.

Under seat subwoofers lack authority, but may be OK if you're only looking to fill in a missing frequency.

I agree to not cut doors for speakers. Worse case scenario, if you want to hide everything, use 2 speakers in the center grill. Other wise, some kind of dash or kick panel pods are a must have for good quality sound.

Putting mid and high range speakers under the seat or the rear corners will never sound like the recording is intended. You would never go to a concert and turn your back the the stage, right? But as a last resort, a lot of guys do that, and are happy with it...

You make very good points on all.....I do like my music and I like it a lil loud from time to time....mainly country but nowadays country is putting some bass into it.....soooooo

I talked with an interior man and he said he could hide the speakers in the fresh air vents, only seeing the speaker grill...but then I lose the fresh air vent and since I am not putting AC on my truck at this point and the Alabama humidity fresh air would be a plus.

The under seat speakers I looked at are from Undercover Speakers II
250 Watts Peak Power Handling per Speaker
• 8" Woofer in Each Speaker
• 2 Piezo Tweeters in Each Speaker
• 11"(W) x 12"(L) x 3"(H)

Not sure what all that means or how it will sound....These run bout 140.00 a set.

Since I will be wiring my truck I really don't want to take it to a stereo shop, or as I call them...wiring harness destroyers, not interested in the rattling bass that you can feel 3 blocks away....more of a clearer sound. We have several local shows that play oldies music which Im kinda fond of as well.

I looked at head units and have found them any where from 189.00 to 399.00 but these look like the older more stock units...again wont be cutting the dash so gotta get something that's gonna fit....My only requirement besides fitment will be a USB port so I can play my music that I have stored on a flash drive. It was suggested that I could send my original unit off and have it rebuilt but that's extremely expensive.....I had thought about XM/Sirius but know that it has its own antenna and not sure how well it would do inside the truck...definitely not gonna put it on the outside.

Not sure what power requirement I need as far as the radio, speakers, amp etc.....I have seen 2 channel 25 watt RMS???? 4 Channel etc....

I understand you get what you pay for but life posted earlier not wanting to spend a kings ransom on it either.

I am definitely open for suggestions and really do appreciate you taking the time to explain this to a not so young fella...lol

BIGglaSS 05-03-2019 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johns 66 (Post 8518840)
Y
I am definitely open for suggestions and really do appreciate you taking the time to explain this to a not so young fella...lol

No problem! It will take me a while to address everything you said. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at the speakers you mentioned, but my first thought is gimmick...

First, set a budget with what you're willing to pay.

If you don't want to cut the dash:
1. Retrosound radios get a solid reputation, AND, I own one. (But haven't installed it yet).
2. Bluetooth interface + amps (but no FM radio options that I know of!)

Meanwhile, check out my Squarebody stereo from the thread in my signature. It is a very simple head unit, amp, speakers, and 8" subwoofer. Total investment $257. This won't fool an audiophile, but will impress many folks that spend 3x that amount.

For my '57 pickup, I spent $1000 total for Retrosound head unit, component speakers, 5 ch amp, 8" subwoofer, and digital signal processor. All name-brand quality stuff! Granted, I bought this a few years ago. In today's dollars at full retail would be north of $1500.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get great sound. Thoughtful design and seeking out great deals will save you a lot of $.

If you put speakers in the vents, you should close off the air vents. I am sealing the fresh air intake on my cowl, and running A/C. I installed quality co-axial component speakers into my fresh air vents. Not perfect, but an acceptable trade-off.
https://live.staticflickr.com/1861/4...b9226b59_c.jpg
The speakers will be covered with these 63 impala vents:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c180862e_c.jpg

BIGglaSS 05-03-2019 05:53 PM

Oh yeah, I was going to say... If you want to keep a traditional "in dash" radio, start with a retrosound head unit, and try the center speakers you have now. It may meet your needs just fine. Then upgrade from there if you're not happy and need more. That head unit has decent power, plus bluetooth and usb inputs. It also has low level outputs and tuning features if you upgrade to amps and component speakers later.

Johns 66 05-03-2019 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGglaSS (Post 8518882)
No problem! It will take me a while to address everything you said. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at the speakers you mentioned, but my first thought is gimmick...

First, set a budget with what you're willing to pay.

If you don't want to cut the dash:
1. Retrosound radios get a solid reputation, AND, I own one. (But haven't installed it yet).
2. Bluetooth interface + amps (but no FM radio options that I know of!)

Meanwhile, check out my Squarebody stereo from the thread in my signature. It is a very simple head unit, amp, speakers, and 8" subwoofer. Total investment $257. This won't fool an audiophile, but will impress many folks that spend 3x that amount.

For my '57 pickup, I spent $1000 total for Retrosound head unit, component speakers, 5 ch amp, 8" subwoofer, and digital signal processor. All name-brand quality stuff! Granted, I bought this a few years ago. In today's dollars at full retail would be north of $1500.

You don't have to spend a fortune to get great sound. Thoughtful design and seeking out great deals will save you a lot of $.

If you put speakers in the vents, you should close off the air vents. I am sealing the fresh air intake on my cowl, and running A/C. I installed quality co-axial component speakers into my fresh air vents. Not perfect, but an acceptable trade-off.
https://live.staticflickr.com/1861/4...b9226b59_c.jpg
The speakers will be covered with these 63 impala vents:
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c180862e_c.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGglaSS (Post 8518898)
Oh yeah, I was going to say... If you want to keep a traditional "in dash" radio, start with a retrosound head unit, and try the center speakers you have now. It may meet your needs just fine. Then upgrade from there if you're not happy and need more. That head unit has decent power, plus bluetooth and usb inputs. It also has low level outputs and tuning features if you upgrade to amps and component speakers later.

I checked both your build threads and they are both GREAT...You are very talented.

I do want to keep the original look of the in-dash radio so Im looking at the retrosound you mentioned...and of course there are a few options.

I noticed in your builds you had a 5 channel amp? Have no idea what the channels mean...Im assuming more is better????

The only real thing I know about speakers is continues power...in that I have some Klipsch home speakers that never distort but they are pricey.
Its looking like I am gonna have to do what you did as far as placing the speakers in the kick panels...not feasible to put them in the top of the dash like your square body.

It also make a lot of sense that anything you put under or behind the seat will basically be a waste of money unless its specifically a sub. I has thought about mounting some forward facing speakers under the seat....with the old adage that the more speakers the better. But from what I am learning from you is that its better to have a well thought out system than just throwing speakers at it.

Ill be interested to know what you suggest and where when you have time to look at some things. Once again I really do appreciate it a lot.

John

BIGglaSS 05-04-2019 05:38 PM

My opinion of the undercover speakers, is they will sound like a glorified factory radio, pointed at your ankles. But, they have there place.. Where you just want to listen to something, and have no where to properly hide speakers. I think you could do better with rear corner speakers for less than the $ of undercover.

For now, don't worry about # of channels or watts, etc. Lets nail down the type of system you want. You can always add as you go.

Channels are the number of amplified outputs going to speakers. For example, a typical car radio has 4 channels. Front left, Front right, Rear left, Rear right. When you get into custom applications and multiple speakers, then channels become important. The retrosound head unit is a 5 channel. Front L/R, Rear L/R, Subwoofer. You do not have to use all the channels.

I am assuming this is going into a 66 pickup? This will be a challenge... It sounds like you're keeping a dash mount radio. If so, then I would get a Retrosound head unit.

Next, install the dash speakers you already have. If you want more, we can go from there.

Here's where it can go 2 ways:
4 channels powered from the head unit. (typical factory car radio setup). 2 in the dash, and 2 in each rear corner.

Semi-custom; Subwoofer (bass), mid-range, tweeter. This will require one or more amps and the price goes up significantly. I was just looking at 66 dash pictures. There is no where to put a speaker. Your best bet is upholstered panels in the kick panel below the vent. Though speaker choice will be very limited, you will somewhat be able to aim them.

One more question.. What does your daily driver have? Simple radio and speakers, or a factory premium system?

Hope this helps. Like I said start with a head unit, and go from there...

Johns 66 05-04-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGglaSS (Post 8519425)
My opinion of the undercover speakers, is they will sound like a glorified factory radio, pointed at your ankles. But, they have there place.. Where you just want to listen to something, and have no where to properly hide speakers. I think you could do better with rear corner speakers for less than the $ of undercover.

For now, don't worry about # of channels or watts, etc. Lets nail down the type of system you want. You can always add as you go.

Channels are the number of amplified outputs going to speakers. For example, a typical car radio has 4 channels. Front left, Front right, Rear left, Rear right. When you get into custom applications and multiple speakers, then channels become important. The retrosound head unit is a 5 channel. Front L/R, Rear L/R, Subwoofer. You do not have to use all the channels.

I am assuming this is going into a 66 pickup? This will be a challenge... It sounds like you're keeping a dash mount radio. If so, then I would get a Retrosound head unit.

Next, install the dash speakers you already have. If you want more, we can go from there.

Here's where it can go 2 ways:
4 channels powered from the head unit. (typical factory car radio setup). 2 in the dash, and 2 in each rear corner.

Semi-custom; Subwoofer (bass), mid-range, tweeter. This will require one or more amps and the price goes up significantly. I was just looking at 66 dash pictures. There is no where to put a speaker. Your best bet is upholstered panels in the kick panel below the vent. Though speaker choice will be very limited, you will somewhat be able to aim them.

One more question.. What does your daily driver have? Simple radio and speakers, or a factory premium system?

Hope this helps. Like I said start with a head unit, and go from there...

Last question first...My daily driver is a 19 GMC Double Cab AT4...it has the factory Bose speakers and whatever factory radio comes in it....It sounds really good for what it is and have no plans of changing it.

This will go in my 66 C10...It has a BBW cab. Im not sure I can have corner speakers behind the seat at this point...I bought a new gas tank that is 24 gallons and it goes from side to side but haven't mounted it permanently . I did mount during mock up make it fit but that's been awhile ago.

While working on my truck today I looked at places I could mount speakers....Some sound crazy but not really feasible...

Mount under dash pointing toward floor board.....Nah that wont work.

Make a mount for the upper part of the firewall pointing toward the rear....Nah that will look funny and thrown together.

So more realistically I have basically 2 choices....either kick panel speakers or speakers in the fresh air vents.

I will mention that before I took it all apart the truck had a cheap radio mounted under the dash and a speaker in each door 6" round speakers...It played pretty loud and wasn't really distorted but was pretty much a stock interior...rubber mat etc....

So heres my thoughts...again Im a total noob at this and really just throwing out ideas.

If I can fit them.... places 2 corners speakers behind the seat( not sure what size or type)...Place some kinda small sub under the seat to give it a little bass...the 2 speakers in fresh air/Kick panel ( again not sure what type or size) and the center 2 speaker I have already bought,,,Plus the restosound head unit that you mentioned.
Thoughts?