The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   Frankentruck (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=768503)

cwcarpenter98 06-22-2020 04:42 PM

Re: Frankentruck

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdxhall (Post 8762003)
Nice patch work. you're really getting in to it now.

Thanks man, I'm still learning!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhrusk (Post 8762066)
Looking good Christian👍👍

Thanks Jay! I'm happy so far with how it's turning out. Going to keep it patina'd for a while longer, just getting the cab back to being solid

flashed 06-22-2020 06:27 PM

Keep it up and I know who will be doing patches on Ma Bell .

cwcarpenter98 06-22-2020 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8762174)
Keep it up and I know who will be doing patches on Ma Bell .

Just as long as I can do it in your shop :lol: These afternoon showers are killing my progress :mad:

flashed 06-22-2020 10:52 PM

You can use my shop anytime you like , I dont need to be there .

cwcarpenter98 06-23-2020 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8762334)
You can use my shop anytime you like , I dont need to be there .

Thanks John, I appreciate it. One day I'm going to have a shop, but for now, the shade tree gets it done :lol:

cwcarpenter98 06-24-2020 05:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got the engine bay side of both inner fenders painted today. Fought through the rain, but was able to get it done.
They are inside the garage drying

cwcarpenter98 06-25-2020 10:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Will I get the truck back together for the Georgia C10 Club meet on Saturday? I sure hope so, but it's looking promising.

On another note, so far, the new TriPlus core support from AMD has lined up real nice and I have not had to whaller out a single bolt hole yet. All the other sheet metal that will be going on is original GM stuff :metal:

cwcarpenter98 06-26-2020 10:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Looking like a truck again! Got everything pretty much buttoned up, just a couple bolts left for in the morning. Should be able to drive it to the Georgia C10 Club meet tomorrow!

I replaced the grille support panel that was busted and rusted with a decent, rust free one. I also got my fan shroud on, but I will need a shorter fan spacer

flashed 06-26-2020 11:43 PM

Looks great Christian

cwcarpenter98 06-27-2020 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8764557)
Looks great Christian

Thanks John. It drives much better too! Less rattles :lol:

cwcarpenter98 07-03-2020 10:13 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Today was a good day.
Met up with MikeN to get a fan and fan clutch from his 65 Impala. It ended up fitting almost perfectly with my new shroud. The old fan was too far into the shroud once I moved the radiator to the correct, v8 location and installed the shroud. Thanks again Mike!

After getting the fan, I went and picked up a 60 hood. It's got the usual rust, but I think I can fix it eventually lol. It's one of those things that I just couldn't pass up.

Yesterday, I got a switch so that I could completely turn off power to the overdrive system whenever I want to drive it in lockout. I used on of the holes already in the bottom of the dash, so I didn't have to drill any extra holes. I plan to pull a few trailers, so I probably won't be using the overdrive when I do that.

Happy 4th! :metal::flag:

flashed 07-04-2020 01:06 AM

FrankenTruck is still one of my all time favorites simply because you are building and repairing it as you go yourself . Christian , that truck is like you , Awesome .

cwcarpenter98 07-04-2020 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8768574)
FrankenTruck is still one of my all time favorites simply because you are building and repairing it as you go yourself . Christian , that truck is like you , Awesome .

Thank you for the kind words John. I've still got a long ways to go, but I'll get there eventually. Your 70 stepper is going to be much nicer than my truck though!

cwcarpenter98 07-04-2020 07:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Happy 4th y'all! :flag:

I like to celebrate by driving Frankentruck around and eating some good food with friends. Also, it's been 5 years now since I've had Frankentruck. Hopefully many more to come :metal:

flashed 07-04-2020 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8768907)
Thank you for the kind words John. I've still got a long ways to go, but I'll get there eventually. Your 70 stepper is going to be much nicer than my truck though!

My 70 will be a different style build than FrankenTruck but not necessarily nicer than FrankenTruck . You are making huge strides with your truck yet still get to drive it . I have never driven mine at all.:chevy:

cwcarpenter98 07-04-2020 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashed (Post 8768969)
My 70 will be a different style build than FrankenTruck but not necessarily nicer than FrankenTruck . You are making huge strides with your truck yet still get to drive it . I have never driven mine at all.:chevy:

You will be able to soon though! You'll probably be getting better gas mileage though :lol:

flashed 07-04-2020 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8768975)
You will be able to soon though! You'll probably be getting better gas mileage though :lol:

I expect it to be a year or more before I get to drive mine now , Im way behind schedule .

cwcarpenter98 07-05-2020 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mmmm, that cross pin lock bolt shouldn't be like that...
I don't think that gap should've been there on the pinion seal either.
New axle bearings and seals and a new pinion seal went in today. Just gotta find a new bolt now.

My good friend Levi helped out a ton today and I got to use his fancy mechanic tools lol

cwcarpenter98 07-07-2020 12:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I called up some local dealerships this morning, but had to drive an hour to find the correct part. Bought three of them since it is a discontinued part now. It was still cheaper than buying the one from Summit Racing, and I got extras. Put everything back together and went for a test drive. I think I fixed all the leaks, but it was dark when I got back, and I was sad. Everything was going great until I heard a metallic smack. I pulled over and started looking underneath the rear of the truck. There's now a visible gap between the axle pads and trailing arms on both sides. Apparently my axle is trying to leave the truck... :no: Fix one thing and another breaks :banghead:

My test drive consisted of stopping by Flashed's place and messing with the Quadrajet on his 79 square. I'm thinking the carb needs a rebuild, but I'm not sure. Time to do some more research lol

kehstr 07-07-2020 12:11 AM

At least that should be a simple fix of just tightening the ubolts

cwcarpenter98 07-07-2020 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kehstr (Post 8770062)
At least that should be a simple fix of just tightening the ubolts

I think I'm just going to end up replacing them. I didn't take the axle out to replace all the seals, so apparently the u bolts have been loosening up somehow since I took ownership of the truck

The Rocknrod 07-07-2020 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cwcarpenter98 (Post 8768494)
Today was a good day.
Met up with MikeN to get a fan and fan clutch from his 65 Impala. It ended up fitting almost perfectly with my new shroud. The old fan was too far into the shroud once I moved the radiator to the correct, v8 location and installed the shroud. Thanks again Mike!

After getting the fan, I went and picked up a 60 hood. It's got the usual rust, but I think I can fix it eventually lol. It's one of those things that I just couldn't pass up...
Happy 4th! :metal::flag:

As usual, great work.
Do you remember what fan you used?

cwcarpenter98 07-07-2020 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8770181)
As usual, great work.
Do you remember what fan you used?

Thanks man! I believe it's a factory 5 blade fan from the 65 Impala, but I'm not sure exactly. MikeN pulled it off his 65 Impala when he put a 7 blade fan and heavier duty clutch on it. It does seem to cool better than the old fan that was too deep into the shroud

cwcarpenter98 07-07-2020 10:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One of the driver's side brake shoes had a crack in it, so I was able to get that warrantied and replaced both sides today.

After that was done, I took the rattle gun and buzzed off the u bolt nuts. Looks like the u bolts came loose many years ago, were tightened back up, and they worked loose again. I'll be getting new u bolts in the morning

cwcarpenter98 07-08-2020 10:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some new u bolts today. I don't have a torque wrench that goes up to 230 ft lbs, but my friend brought his that goes up to 250 ft lbs. I went to get it this evening and will be installing the new bolts in the morning.

After getting the u bolts, the AC compressor clutch went out on my Dakota. Not sure what I'm going to do there.

I spent the rest of the morning and afternoon cleaning up and painting some of the under hood parts that I had not painted when I took the front end apart. Had to use the shade tree paint booth to get it done :lol: