The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Diesel Conversions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=240)
-   -   Project Family Chummins (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=526664)

Palf70Step 12-12-2014 07:38 PM

Re: Project Family Chummins

Very nice and congrats! Be good to see some more postings on your work with the ole truck. Forgot you moved down towards Wichita. I was just there over Thanksgiving. Drove right by you on the way to Hutchinson.

Dieselwrencher 12-15-2014 03:03 AM

Very nice on the new buildings! The point had a sweet set up and collection! Congrats!

jbclassix 01-19-2015 01:38 AM

So I read through your build thread again because I am starting in on a Cummins swap but on a 6.5L which means I have more work to do with electronics. I was hoping you could help me out with were you got the information about speed sensor communicators and not triggering any SES lights if using the ECM.

Ackattack 02-05-2015 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 7009478)
So I read through your build thread again because I am starting in on a Cummins swap but on a 6.5L which means I have more work to do with electronics. I was hoping you could help me out with were you got the information about speed sensor communicators and not triggering any SES lights if using the ECM.

I don't have an ECM

If you're using a dodge 241 transfer case, apparently you can swap out the tailshaft portion of the case for a chevy one and get your speed signal from there.

Since the dodge dana 80 had a speed sensor for the RWAL system, I just used that as my speed signal and then converted that signal with a dakota digital box to calibrate my speedo. My cruise control is also ran off the same wire as well.

Ackattack 02-05-2015 02:43 PM

We got moved into the new house.

The good news is the Chummins fits in the attached garage. The width with the mirrors makes it a tight squeeze.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...psbkkiyzq4.jpg

The bad news is I have this huge shop and now I have to fill it up :)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...psido5grmc.jpg

Since I haven't really worked on either of my trucks since at least June, I have a few items to take care of once I get the shop set up.

The chummins needs:
the headlights aimed
sway bar fixed
rear axle seals
valve cover gaskets replaced
adjust the fueling
I also have a larger turbo for it that will need rebuilt and intake and exhaust work to get it installed (HE351CW iirc)

The 68 also needs a few things:
temp sensor hooked up
replace the power steering gear box
A/C line fixed and charged

I'm thinking of my next project in the new shop as well. Its going to be a bit of a departure from my other builds. I'm thinking of building a BMW 5 series (E39) with an LS engine with the plan of a turbo on it at some point

Dieselwrencher 02-05-2015 05:27 PM

That sure is a nice shop! Enjoy that!

cAlvis165 02-05-2015 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackattack (Post 7035346)

I'm thinking of my next project in the new shop as well. Its going to be a bit of a departure from my other builds. I'm thinking of building a BMW 5 series (E39) with an LS engine with the plan of a turbo on it at some point

:metal:

jbclassix 02-06-2015 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackattack (Post 7035328)
I don't have an ECM

If you're using a dodge 241 transfer case, apparently you can swap out the tailshaft portion of the case for a chevy one and get your speed signal from there.

Since the dodge dana 80 had a speed sensor for the RWAL system, I just used that as my speed signal and then converted that signal with a dakota digital box to calibrate my speedo. My cruise control is also ran off the same wire as well.

I'll have to dig into my schematics to see if I can eliminate the ecm all together like you did. if I don't need the ecm for cruise then all I need is a gasser cruise module and wiring. I was expecting I'd have to go with the DD converter boxes. I think 96 and down dodges still had a VSS on the tail shaft. I don't know when they made that switch.

Dieselwrencher 02-06-2015 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbclassix (Post 7036160)
I'll have to dig into my schematics to see if I can eliminate the ecm all together like you did. if I don't need the ecm for cruise then all I need is a gasser cruise module and wiring. I was expecting I'd have to go with the DD converter boxes. I think 96 and down dodges still had a VSS on the tail shaft. I don't know when they made that switch.

On the both the 241d and 241DHD's 97 was the last year for it. 98 up 241d and 241dhd had none. They went to picking the speedo signal up from the speed sensor in the rear diff. Bit, you should be able to put the chevy stuff on the back of a dodge 241d. It's nice how universal new venture kept them.

Ackattack 03-07-2015 10:39 AM

:)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps1ss3y0uu.jpg

Palf70Step 03-08-2015 06:51 PM

Now that is nice!!

y5mgisi 03-08-2015 07:48 PM

I would kill for that shop.

COS399 03-08-2015 09:04 PM

I'm Jealous. Nice shop and nice lift. :metal: :metal:

Ackattack 03-23-2015 12:51 PM

Ran into a little problem: I noticed some coolant leaking the other day, so I pulled the truck into the shop and started to investigate. It was coming from the area around the thermostat. It was difficult to see, so I broke out a mirror to have a better look. Unfortunately it was the head gasket right above the thermostat :(

So yesterday I started the teardown. Everything went fairly smoothly until I got to removing the push rods. The back two pushrods are back, under the cowl and I couldn't just pull them out. I tried lifting the head along with the pushrods, but the pushrods were still in the block. At that point I figured my options were pulling the whole engine or drilling holes in the cowl.

So now my truck has "pushrod access holes"

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s...psxjuzgjlj.jpg

Luckily I was able to get the pushrods out. Upon removing the head, sure enough the head gasket was damaged right above the thermostat. Everything else looked good. For having probably 250k miles on the engine, I could still see cross hatching on the cylinder walls, I think its pretty good.

I'm hoping to get the head machined tomorrow and start putting it back together on Thursday.

steppside69 06-21-2015 08:09 AM

Awesome build. Planning on putting a 6bt in mine soon.
How did the repair go?

Ackattack 06-25-2015 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steppside69 (Post 7216438)
How did the repair go?

The repair went well, and the trucks been running good!

Onto a new adventure in life: I'll be putting my shop to use. My wife and I bought a CNC plasma cutting table and will be starting a metal cutting business. We're going to be cutting some art type projects as well as make some vehicle parts. We're probably a month or more away from actually getting it up and going and open for business.

So as part of this, I've decided to sell the Chummins and buy a Jeep as a development/marketing vehicle. We'll also get another pickup with a flatbed on it to haul sheet metal/plate, tow trailers, etc.

It will probably be a week or two before I get a few things cleaned up to sell the Chummins. More to follow.....

95 S_Trucker 07-12-2015 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ackattack (Post 7221788)
The repair went well, and the trucks been running good!

Onto a new adventure in life: I'll be putting my shop to use. My wife and I bought a CNC plasma cutting table and will be starting a metal cutting business. We're going to be cutting some art type projects as well as make some vehicle parts. We're probably a month or more away from actually getting it up and going and open for business.

So as part of this, I've decided to sell the Chummins and buy a Jeep as a development/marketing vehicle. We'll also get another pickup with a flatbed on it to haul sheet metal/plate, tow trailers, etc.

It will probably be a week or two before I get a few things cleaned up to sell the Chummins. More to follow.....

Sounds like it's time to put a flatbed on the chummins and call it a day. Then you could tow a trailer and haul metal on the back.

Ackattack 07-22-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 95 S_Trucker (Post 7239188)
Sounds like it's time to put a flatbed on the chummins and call it a day. Then you could tow a trailer and haul metal on the back.

I thought about it, but I decided against it. Main thing is since I made it into a SWB truck, it wouldn't be long enough. I'll be using 5x10 sheets of steel, so a 6.5' bed doesn't work so well.

I bought a 1990 K3500 extended cab with a 454 and a flatbed to be the new work horse.

Ackattack 01-19-2016 12:25 AM

Well the Chummins is sold. I mentioned it on a diesel facebook group and someone jumped on it. Sad to see the truck go, but it was time to move on.

BTW, the flatbed now has a 4.8L LS engine in it :D.

y5mgisi 01-20-2016 12:34 PM

Interesting! I'll have to check out your other projects.