The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

jlsanborn 06-24-2013 06:01 PM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ctener (Post 6140484)
Looks like maybe a cr125 and an rm of some sort. Looks fun I miss my yzf450
Posted via Mobile Device

Yup, the Boy is on an '01 CR125 and that's my '98 RM250. We've also got an '07 YZ450F sitting here that I take out once in a while. It belongs to my brother in law. We've tried EVERYTHING to get him out on it but now he's talking about selling it :( It's a beast man but I'm a two-stroker to the core.

67ctener 06-24-2013 06:12 PM

Nice I went from a 96' cr80 straight to an 00 rm 250. After that had a crf 450 then back to the rm. Broke down and bought a brand new 07 yzf450 and still enjoyed that rm 250 the most in the trails. I'm right there with you two stroke all the way
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 06-25-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6139995)
Check out that Southern Polyurethanes paint. Good Stuff, Cheap! Search the Silver Dollar thread.

I've looked over their stuff and it seems a little daunting to me just cuz I don't know what all that chemistry business means. The local store where I've been going quoted me $509 for Sherwin Williams...

1-1/2 Gallons Butternut Yellow
1 quart White
1 Gallon clear coat
And all the reducer / hardner jazz to go with.

Does that seem reasonable? I know I'll need more clear ($75 / Gallon) but I can get that as needed. You think 1-1/2 gallons of the yellow will cover it? I'm doing the whole salame - underside of hood, firewall, etc...

mcbassin 06-26-2013 08:31 AM

Very cool project. It took me a few days to get read through your build. Looks like solid plan. I'm subscribed.

Low Elco 06-26-2013 09:33 AM

Are the paint numbers ready to spray? If they are, you'll need a bit more. If it reduces 1:1, you're in good shape. You'll definitely need more clear. I used about 3 1/2 gal total for everything. 2gal putting 3 coats on the body.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 06-26-2013 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
That quote was for 1-1/2 gallons of paint plus the reducer. I'm not sure what the reduction is but I'll check. I asked the "kid" that was working there what he thought I'd need and that's where the 1-1/2 came from. I'm stoked!

About two hours wetsanding (P400) on the hood and I'm ALMOST done....whew!

jlsanborn 06-26-2013 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6143085)
Very cool project. It took me a few days to get read through your build. Looks like solid plan. I'm subscribed.

Thanks for taggin along!

Low Elco 06-26-2013 12:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
"Work, work, work. Work, work, work. Hello, boys, I miss you!"
Attachment 1125522

Looks Great, Johnny!

(You got a 250 and the kid's stickin' it to ya? Better quit lookin' at the scenery! Bwahahahahaha!)

Bomp 06-26-2013 09:13 PM

Woo Hoo http://www.clicksmilies.com/s1106/ak...smiley-035.gif

Looks Awesome!!!!!

jlsanborn 06-26-2013 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ctener (Post 6140576)
Nice I went from a 96' cr80 straight to an 00 rm 250. After that had a crf 450 then back to the rm. Broke down and bought a brand new 07 yzf450 and still enjoyed that rm 250 the most in the trails. I'm right there with you two stroke all the way
Posted via Mobile Device

I've had that zuke since 2000 and it's soooo comfy and predictable for me that I just love the thing. I'm always looking at the katoom 300 but my bike has plenny of power where I need it and I just know what it will / can do. I've also turned every single screw on the thing so I know it's ( . )( . ) top to bottom!
Your truck is going to be mad-sick dude! What's on the agenda?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 6143085)

I made it to page 3 on your build and am stoked to get to the end and chime in. I did a random look through and you got skills man! Your new favorite truck is *****in too!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6143440)
"Work, work, work. Work, work, work. Hello, boys, I miss you!"
Attachment 1125522

Looks Great, Johnny!

(You got a 250 and the kid's stickin' it to ya? Better quit lookin' at the scenery! Bwahahahahaha!)

Ima PM you for your email address so I can send you hi-rez pics of what I'm doin. It's soooo easy to go OCD on the wet sand. What's the BC/CC gonna cover???

Lemme tell ya, I can ride that bike and I feel FAST on it! I've schnapped both ACL's on the ol' zuke. The Boy flat out RAILS on the tiddler tho, he's effin NUTS!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6144212)

Thanks man!!!! I love following your build and would love to see Bompstein face to face one day :metal:

Low Elco 06-26-2013 10:52 PM

No need, loelco86@yahoo.com bc/cc covers nothing. You either want 400wet scratch or 320 da scratch to base over. Some of the superfine metallics call for 600. What you have is perfect. Always have something between your hand and the paper as a load spreader, or you'll dig finger grooves. The sheen you have there is perfect. I'd recommend after you buy your sauce, finish out and shoot your tailgate. Completely. You'll get the experience you need and if you screw up, it's just the tailgate, sand it down and try again. You can really be your own worst enemy at this point. Literally just relax and enjoy the experience. Looks great so far!
Posted via Mobile Device

67ctener 06-26-2013 10:58 PM

I'm sure it's been said but when do you think you'll get some color on it?
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 06-27-2013 12:04 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6144393)
No need, loelco86@yahoo.com bc/cc covers nothing. You either want 400wet scratch or 320 da scratch to base over. Some of the superfine metallics call for 600. What you have is perfect. Always have something between your hand and the paper as a load spreader, or you'll dig finger grooves. The sheen you have there is perfect. I'd recommend after you buy your sauce, finish out and shoot your tailgate. Completely. You'll get the experience you need and if you screw up, it's just the tailgate, sand it down and try again. You can really be your own worst enemy at this point. Literally just relax and enjoy the experience. Looks great so far!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well I think you answered my question. It's gonna need another lick of primer. See, I had still had some effin orange peel and I'm getting to the metal in some tiny spots. I think I just need a bit more thinner in the mix to lay it out FLAT. Still gonna send you some pics!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ctener (Post 6144407)
I'm sure it's been said but when do you think you'll get some color on it?
Posted via Mobile Device

:lol: last year! Really, I think I've gotta take the advise and just go for it and see what the results are. I never intended on "show car" but it's just so damn easy to see every little imperfection that I just can't stop sanding!

Pic of the Boy's 350 and my trusty ol' zuke! Dude's motor is basically done. Just needs to finish up his dizzy and fix up some accessories. He's sniffin around for a TH350 (and a damn job!) and we'll stab it in.

jlsanborn 06-27-2013 01:02 AM

The discussion tonight is how to go about painting this thing. All along I've thought I'd paint all the bits separately then assemble. I got to thinking about how I'd paint one side of the hood then flip it over to paint the other side without overspray on the side I had done. Also, what about the door jambs and the hinges, bolts and stuff?? Would it be better to jamb it out, hang the panels then shoot the whole deal at once? Not even sure how I'd go about that! MAN I want to build the motor!!

RexDodge 06-27-2013 08:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just jump in and go for it. We hung stuff all over the place from the rafters. I am on my 3rd try on my tailgate...grrr. Tailgate and cowl left and it is finished. For nuts and bolts get some cardboard and just screw them through. Shot both sides and you're done. I used chassis black on mine. DO IT!!!

67ctener 06-27-2013 10:20 AM

Wish I could help I've never used anything more then a rattle can. I'd love to be able to paint, once I get a shop I'd like to play around with it a bit
Posted via Mobile Device

Low Elco 06-27-2013 10:22 AM

I generally do cut-ins (jambs and undersides) first, then shiny sides. This is also good practice. Then some general back masking, then shoot the parts that show. Get prepped, open a beer, crank up some Joe Walsh and have at it. I'm hotlinked on the phone, hit me up. Just relax. Remember What the Truefire guy says. "It's just paint. I can sand it off and try again." Remember, I'd freak with a Trans in my sink, and I'm a machinist by trade! It's all relative.

Low Elco 06-27-2013 10:37 AM

Also, if you're freaked out about orange peel, turn your air up. You did go get a gun mounted regulator, right? Must-have item. A little more air atomizes that heavy stuff better. Do that and move a tad faster, no problem.

jlsanborn 06-27-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RexDodge (Post 6144805)
Just jump in and go for it. We hung stuff all over the place from the rafters. I am on my 3rd try on my tailgate...grrr. Tailgate and cowl left and it is finished. For nuts and bolts get some cardboard and just screw them through. Shot both sides and you're done. I used chassis black on mine. DO IT!!!

Ooooh another build to read! :metal: I LOVE that color you picked and will be checking it out soon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ctener (Post 6144947)
Wish I could help I've never used anything more then a rattle can. I'd love to be able to paint, once I get a shop I'd like to play around with it a bit
Posted via Mobile Device

I had done some in the past but just machinery and crap. Nothing this detailed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6144951)
I generally do cut-ins (jambs and undersides) first, then shiny sides. This is also good practice. Then some general back masking, then shoot the parts that show. Get prepped, open a beer, crank up some Joe Walsh and have at it. I'm hotlinked on the phone, hit me up. Just relax. Remember What the Truefire guy says. "It's just paint. I can sand it off and try again." Remember, I'd freak with a Trans in my sink, and I'm a machinist by trade! It's all relative.

So ya think I should stick with my plan and shoot it all in pieces?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6144984)
Also, if you're freaked out about orange peel, turn your air up. You did go get a gun mounted regulator, right? Must-have item. A little more air atomizes that heavy stuff better. Do that and move a tad faster, no problem.

Yup, I think I have the correct equipment. I run full pressure from my compressor(s) and regulate at the gun to 30-40psi. I've got one of them little inline coalescing filters at the gun too. This is the first gun I've used that has the air flow control tho and it seems I'm always fiddlin with that thing. As far as the hi-build primer goes I'm sure I just need to thin it out more. I remember back when I was doing the cab I had the same thing goin on and finally figured it out. Short term memory must be fading!! I really appreciate the help man!

Low Elco 06-27-2013 11:29 AM

Ah. If you're talking about the thing on the bottom of the handle, crank it open and ignore it. Control it all from the regulator. If its the knob on top by the cup, that's fan control. I usually kinda run on the high side of the middle, so you get kinda a wet ish stripe in the pattern. You're on the right track.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 06-27-2013 12:53 PM

Yup, the adjuster at the handle. I believe it's just a flow control for the air and I've never used a gun that had that tweaker. I have had it choked off slightly so I'll give-er full whack and see if I can trim it out better that way. Thanks!!

68 TT 06-27-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6141801)
I've looked over their stuff and it seems a little daunting to me just cuz I don't know what all that chemistry business means. The local store where I've been going quoted me $509 for Sherwin Williams...

1-1/2 Gallons Butternut Yellow
1 quart White
1 Gallon clear coat
And all the reducer / hardner jazz to go with.

Does that seem reasonable? I know I'll need more clear ($75 / Gallon) but I can get that as needed. You think 1-1/2 gallons of the yellow will cover it? I'm doing the whole salame - underside of hood, firewall, etc...

Make sure you get yellow tinted primer to match your color. It will require far less paint to get good coverage. Also make sure the whole thing is in one shade of primer or sealer. It will telegraph through horribly if it is not and require much more paint to make it look consistent in color.

jlsanborn 06-27-2013 04:25 PM

Man I hope not! I thought I was done with the cab :eek: How much extra paint do you suppose it would take to cover over the grey???

jlsanborn 06-29-2013 07:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Four intake valves later, the Subaru is out of the shop! Purrs like a kitten. The Boy found a diamond in the rough, scored a close ratio NV3500 at the pick-n-pull for $55!!! He'll be hard to beat.

808_67C10 06-29-2013 10:41 PM

Dude, your garage looks just like mine...ha ha got my 67' a 00 CR250 and my sons 99 CR125!
Posted via Mobile Device