The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   72 Cheyenne Super Plain Jane (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=462072)

N2TRUX 10-24-2013 02:18 PM

Re: 72 Cheyenne Super Plain Jane

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham57a (Post 6330926)
I'll probably do lower trim to start and if it works I'll leave it at that. Its probably the hardest decision I've had to make on the entire truck haha. That one chrome strip can completely change the attitude of the truck !

if you were going to 2 tone it the upper trim is mandatory. Since its a solid color lower trim is just right.

72BlckButy 10-24-2013 08:52 PM

I agree with Keith and ken. Lower wood grain trim would be awesome.

3m adhesive tape... I'm jut sayin.

Graham57a 10-25-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 6330947)
Are they ever really "finished"? Mine aren't, I know that. Most people think my GTO is done, but I've been working on it while I drive it ever since I bought it. I will be doing the same thing with my 71. I've got grand plans for both and not enough money or skill for either. :lol:

Sounds like you need a second project truck. Leave this one and do your phase 2 on a second truck... We're all addicted to building killer rides, or we wouldn't be on here all the time.

Yea what I'll probably do is take the frame from this truck and put a patina body on it and make it a daily driver and then use the body from Jane and put it on a new frame. That way I'll have a solid 5/7 drop daily driver on a powdercoated frame and a frame laying show truck with my Intros and all the fancy stuff. Who knows tho, that's probably ten or so years down the road. Right now I have this thing to finish and enjoy:mm:
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ChevNut (Post 6331051)
How did you make the rear wheels fit inside the bed? Do you have a shorter rearend, or what is the offset of those wheels? Love the truck, looks awesome.

Thanks man. The wheels just cleared the inside of the bed on accident. I'm gonna put 1" wheel spacers on both sides to bring the wheels out a little more. The rear is a f*rd 9" built to width, 59" face to face. And I'm pretty sure the back wheels have 4" of BS. I didn't go the conventional route on the rearend, wanted to do something a little different.
Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 6331063)
if you were going to 2 tone it the upper trim is mandatory. Since its a solid color lower trim is just right.

If it was two tone I would definitely have upper trim but there's a soft spot in my heart for solid color cheyennes with full trim. And it's not something you see every day like the hugger orange and white two tone
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 6331549)
I agree with Keith and ken. Lower wood grain trim would be awesome.

3m adhesive tape... I'm jut sayin.

We'll see how the trim goes, I have a pretty long list of to dos before I am gonna worry about it. I want it to be driving and dialed mechanically before I drop 500-1000 on side trim. I am definitely using adhesive tape when I do, it seems a million times easier and holds just as well. Is there any specific 3M tape I should look for?

jeffg1010 10-25-2013 07:37 PM

I say give it a shot on upper and lower trim. Mock it up and if it works, run with it! Best thing about these trucks is they all don't have to look alike to be awesome.

Graham57a 10-31-2013 06:28 PM

Alright guys I need some help. I've been chasing a wiring issue on the truck for a while now and I think I found the issue but I don't know how to fix it. The problem was the battery kept draining over and over and I couldn't find the source for the life of me. I unplugged the tach power from the fuse box and the battery has kept enough charge to crank after sitting for 3 days so I'm pretty sure that was the issue. Now the confusing part, I used a test light on my fuse box to try and find an open fuse that got power when I turn the key but is dead when the key is off. All my open fuses are either hot all the time or don't come on at all. Is my fuse box bad?

Also ran a test light on the back of my ignition switch where I tapped in the power for the hei and it's hot when I turn the key halfway but it looses power when I turn the key in crank mode. It did this before and I was able to start it but it only tried to start when I was backing off the key. I tested the wire before I tapped into it and it was hot in crank so I'm not sure what happened. The ignition switch is new but maybe I got a bad one. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I really wanna settle this wiring issue while I'm waiting to rebuild my savings account:smoke:

sublime1996525 11-01-2013 01:52 AM

Amazing looking truck man!

Rusbuilt 11-01-2013 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham57a (Post 6342028)
Alright guys I need some help. I've been chasing a wiring issue on the truck for a while now and I think I found the issue but I don't know how to fix it. The problem was the battery kept draining over and over and I couldn't find the source for the life of me. I unplugged the tach power from the fuse box and the battery has kept enough charge to crank after sitting for 3 days so I'm pretty sure that was the issue. Now the confusing part, I used a test light on my fuse box to try and find an open fuse that got power when I turn the key but is dead when the key is off. All my open fuses are either hot all the time or don't come on at all. Is my fuse box bad?

Also ran a test light on the back of my ignition switch where I tapped in the power for the hei and it's hot when I turn the key halfway but it looses power when I turn the key in crank mode. It did this before and I was able to start it but it only tried to start when I was backing off the key. I tested the wire before I tapped into it and it was hot in crank so I'm not sure what happened. The ignition switch is new but maybe I got a bad one. Any input would be greatly appreciated, I really wanna settle this wiring issue while I'm waiting to rebuild my savings account:smoke:

I would try the new ignition switch first.

knomadd 11-01-2013 10:20 AM

I agree with Rus. If you've got an old one still, try to swap it. I've got a new one from my American Auto Wire harness kit if you need one. I kept my original in it.

What kind of wire harness do you have, stock, stock style replacement, painless, AAW, etc? I'm more curious about the fuse block than the actual wires.

Graham57a 11-01-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sublime1996525 (Post 6342604)
Amazing looking truck man!

Thanks man!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 6342660)
I would try the new ignition switch first.

I'll try getting a new switch and see if that helps. I'm pretty sure I still have my receipt from orielly so I'll see if I can exchange this one for another.
Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 6342851)
I agree with Rus. If you've got an old one still, try to swap it. I've got a new one from my American Auto Wire harness kit if you need one. I kept my original in it.

What kind of wire harness do you have, stock, stock style replacement, painless, AAW, etc? I'm more curious about the fuse block than the actual wires.

It has a new ignition switch in it, not sure what brand just whatever the parts house sells. The harness is all original, just cleaned it up and rewrapped it. The harness was in decent shape when I took it out, still had the original tape on it. The annoying part is the hei was hooked up and worked before I tore the truck apart but that was 4 years ago and I don't remember how it was done

RCbowtie69 11-01-2013 02:00 PM

Just got back on my computer.It's raining today & checking up on your build.The paint looks SWEET!!!!!! Keep on Truckin''. :cool: :metal:

Grip 11-01-2013 09:32 PM

Hey Andrew. Lookin good! You should wire in a relay to power your HEI. That way you can get some of the load off of the old school ignition switch and still get a full 12V+ to the distributor.

Grip 11-01-2013 09:37 PM

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/...o_mfg_info.gif

Grip 11-01-2013 09:42 PM

http://www.lxforums.com/board/f70/ho...h-relay-98071/

This should help your ign switch last longer and get you 12V power to your HEI.

jlaird 11-02-2013 11:24 PM

Another vote for lower trim only...and those wheels are KILLER!

Graham57a 12-04-2013 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Alright guys, haven't been doin too much to the truck lately. Between the semester ending up at school and the freezing cold weather it's been hard finding time to spend in the garage. The top of my list is sealing the cab up. I ordered some new windshield trim on Monday so once that gets here I can put the windshield in. When I was in mooresville over thanksgiving I picked up my side glass but I need to take the channels off the glass, sand and paint them, and then put them back on. Once that's done the cab will be sealed up and ready to go. I have a couple pictures of my tailgate and wheel tubs from the painter, everything turned out really sweet!!

Graham57a 12-04-2013 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Graham57a 12-04-2013 08:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just need to get some stainless hardware and I can put the tailgate on

Graham57a 12-04-2013 08:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Also had a little free time in the construction lab after class today so I built a set of poor mans elephant stands so I can actually fit underneath this thing

Graham57a 12-04-2013 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Last one. Realized I never posted a pic of the front hub/brake combo so here it is.

Grip 12-05-2013 12:36 AM

Looking good Andrew! Windows, exhaust, bed liner, and ???

Mr Chevorlet 12-05-2013 01:07 AM

Andrew you have done a tremondous job on your build and that is one beautiful truck.

knomadd 12-05-2013 10:08 AM

Moving right along. Looking better and better. I'll be needing to make those stands myself when it comes time to do a transmission swap. Not sure which car I'll do first, but I won't be able to get to the GTO without some of those.

I really like your truck. everything looks good. Keep it up!

CC69Rat 12-05-2013 12:25 PM

Your truck is awesome buddy, keep at it ! :D

Bhelton 12-05-2013 12:35 PM

looking good!!!!

Graham57a 12-05-2013 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grip (Post 6402466)
Looking good Andrew! Windows, exhaust, bed liner, and ???

Thanks!!! The list is windows, new bags for the rear, new front springs, shorten and tap the tie rods, wheel spacer for the rear, get anodized plugs for the rearend and fill it with oil, driveshaft, get a new willwood master cylinder and plumb the rest of the stainless lines, bed liner, bumpers, exhaust, and new ignition switch.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Chevorlet (Post 6402506)
Andrew you have done a tremondous job on your build and that is one beautiful truck.

Thank you sir, I have learned a lot building this thing. It's been an extremely rewarding process
Quote:

Originally Posted by knomadd (Post 6402780)
Moving right along. Looking better and better. I'll be needing to make those stands myself when it comes time to do a transmission swap. Not sure which car I'll do first, but I won't be able to get to the GTO without some of those.

I really like your truck. everything looks good. Keep it up!

Thanks Knomadd, the stands were really easy to make and very sturdy. Definitely worth the time!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by CC69Rat (Post 6403000)
Your truck is awesome buddy, keep at it ! :D

Thanks Chad, can't wait to see your big block truck come together!!!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bhelton (Post 6403016)
looking good!!!!

Thanks Bhelton, I'm finishing up my last couple days of class and then I have two exams next week and then I'll be free for a month to work full time and earn some money to get this thing moving!!!