The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=253)
-   -   Pro-Touring S10 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=561670)

robnolimit 05-30-2013 12:38 PM

Re: Pro-Touring S10

2 Attachment(s)
We tested at AMP last night. not bad for the first outing. Best lap of 47.43. Hellboy runs mid to low 44's, the Silver Bullit low 46's. I think this truck is capable of 45 sec laps. The engine tune is way off. We knew this, stock ECU at the moment. this will be solved thursday. Steering feels great. Brakes feel very good, the ABS even works still! The rear leaf set up feels really smooth. Not enough front sway bar, no rear sway bar (we put the explorer bar on last night) We need to get some real shocks, we have used rancho rear shocks and some Bilstiens up front. But, It is really fun to drive, turns in well, and is very forgiving of driver error.

robnolimit 05-30-2013 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The truck is being built as a display vehicle for Black Widow Exhaust. So the mufflers are out for the world to see, and the pipes exit out the rear bed side. It sounds Awesome!

aggie91 05-30-2013 12:42 PM

That looks cool. Are those the wheels off of Hell Boy? What adapter did you use to mount them?

Do you have plans for a front bumber/air dam of some sort? That exhaust looks cool out in the open like that, not usefull for loading up a cooler and chairs, but very cool looking!

robnolimit 05-30-2013 01:46 PM

Yes, thats a set of the HellBoy wheels. Future plans call for Howe spindles and a floater 9", once all of the geometry is tested. The adapters came from Speedway. Front and rear bumper and light mounts will be WRC rally style, and the front will have a removable dam/splitter. True, not much room for a cooler :(

robnolimit 05-30-2013 03:29 PM

Truckin Throwdown 2013 is friday, may 31. We'll get picts

RS_Customs 05-30-2013 03:39 PM

Looking good Rob, maybe bring that out to Run to the Coast with hell boy next time we fly out?? Would be cool to see in person, but that's the only time I get out that way lol.

Robert

robnolimit 06-03-2013 03:17 PM

2013 Throwdown - or not. Well, thats the way the B.S. splatters. Bill and Mike prepped late into the night, and showed up ready for a day of trucks and racing in El-Toro. The truck passed tech, and everyone was crowded around it. After the drivers meeting, at the start of the Drag Racing section, Bill was informed that he could not compete.
Now to be fair, this event is sponsored by Nitto Tires, and tires were available for competitors (NT-05) The rules state a 200 tread wear or higher. Nitto does not make a 335/30/18, or a 315/30/18, or even a 345/30/18 that we could have mounted on the wheels we have, so we went with the B F Goodrich KDW - these have a 300 tread wear, - not as sticky as the Nitto. It was only at the event, and after tech, that the rule was stated that you MUST have Nitto tires to compete. Then Mike asked if they could stay and compete, as exibition only? No. "Our insurance will only cover trucks with Nitto tires." So, thats it for the No Limit crew, kicked out.
I heard there were some familiar faces there, and I hope they had a good day.

robnolimit 06-03-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RS_Customs (Post 6098711)
Looking good Rob, maybe bring that out to Run to the Coast with hell boy next time we fly out?? Would be cool to see in person, but that's the only time I get out that way lol.

Robert

We'll be there. - Please let me know of any rule against red seats, or stainless mufflers, or maybe foam grip steering wheels that will keep us out of the competition.;)

Can't kech me 06-05-2013 01:25 AM

wow, this changes the pro touring truck world a lot imo, for the most part, you built this truck fairly inexpensively, and with only a few low tech changes, and it performs as well as a full tube chassis race truck. granted it isn't a full size pick up, it's still very impressively easy.

76C10Stepside 06-05-2013 03:04 AM

Looking good, Rob! Is a splitter air dam in it's future? Where are the racing vids?

AutoX_a_Truck? 06-09-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnolimit (Post 6105412)
2013 Throwdown - or not. Well, thats the way the B.S. splatters. Bill and Mike prepped late into the night, and showed up ready for a day of trucks and racing in El-Toro. The truck passed tech, and everyone was crowded around it. After the drivers meeting, at the start of the Drag Racing section, Bill was informed that he could not compete.
Now to be fair, this event is sponsored by Nitto Tires, and tires were available for competitors (NT-05) The rules state a 200 tread wear or higher. Nitto does not make a 335/30/18, or a 315/30/18, or even a 345/30/18 that we could have mounted on the wheels we have, so we went with the B F Goodrich KDW - these have a 300 tread wear, - not as sticky as the Nitto. It was only at the event, and after tech, that the rule was stated that you MUST have Nitto tires to compete. Then Mike asked if they could stay and compete, as exibition only? No. "Our insurance will only cover trucks with Nitto tires." So, thats it for the No Limit crew, kicked out.

Requiring a specific tire for an event? That's some serious BS. Tires aren't cheap. It makes sense that Nitto was too afraid to run their tires against other manufacturers though because I am not at all impressed with my NT-05's. All of these tire rules make for a headache since certain sizes are not available in certain brands, treadwears, and so on. All events should go with the SCCA 140 UTQG street tire rule. SCCA is bigger than all the small events combined and it would open everything up and encourages tire makers to make great tires that could be used for a wide array of events.

By the way, the S10 looks like a fun project.

YBNORML 06-09-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robnolimit (Post 6105412)

Stuff like this makes me question these type of events. I really enjoy reading about them in the magazines, but this makes me wonder about the validity of the results. It's one thing to develop rules based on an accepted standard, it's entirely different when you try to force competitors to use a specific product just because the sponsor wants it that way. I am not impressed.
Posted via Mobile Device

Street Smart 06-10-2013 12:07 PM

Wow... It`s their sandbox, they get to make the rules. It would look bad to get beat by another manufacturer`s tire.

YBNORML 06-17-2013 03:09 AM

It looks even worse that they won't allow others to compete.
Posted via Mobile Device

jlsanborn 07-24-2013 05:01 PM

Super cool truck Rob! Would sure love to see more details...

fluffyfreak 08-02-2013 07:57 PM

Badass truck, minitruckin needs to run a feature on it, even tho its not bagged and bodied on billet 22s!!

SIETEDOCE 12-12-2013 04:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
man, why you do this, you make me feel sad for haver sold my s10

Dieselwrencher 12-12-2013 05:32 PM

Wow, nice build Rob and crew! Have you guys raced it any where else? That is a shady deal on Nitto's part too. Buy our tires or you can't compete here. Crazy. There's a lot more than just tires to competing in what you do.

Fatherof3 12-12-2013 05:48 PM

Great truck, love this build and the enginuity!

The one elephant in the room is that you got in plated, which I think is great but I was expecting it to be a trailered track / event truck do to your states laws.

AII 03-17-2015 09:54 PM

I'm going to bump this old thread, Bill is a good friend of mine so I get to ride in the S10 fairly often, this last Saturday we ran the truck at the Street Machine and Muscle car Nationals in Pomona doing what Bill calls "DriftCross". I've been lucky enough to of riden in some of the fast machines ever built including Trophy trucks at 100+ mph, and I have to say the S10 always puts a smile on my face when I'm inside her, great job building it Rob, very fast, cheap and simple.

Here's a video a spectator posted of Bill and I putting on a show
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d3NkmhtlTz8

rusty76 05-29-2016 03:25 PM

I'm late to the party but I'm going to throw this one in the low buck builds thread. Lots of good info.

daddyjeep 07-17-2016 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AII (Post 7094974)
I'm going to bump this old thread, Bill is a good friend of mine so I get to ride in the S10 fairly often, this last Saturday we ran the truck at the Street Machine and Muscle car Nationals in Pomona doing what Bill calls "DriftCross". I've been lucky enough to of riden in some of the fast machines ever built including Trophy trucks at 100+ mph, and I have to say the S10 always puts a smile on my face when I'm inside her, great job building it Rob, very fast, cheap and simple.

Here's a video a spectator posted of Bill and I putting on a show
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d3NkmhtlTz8

After watching the video, I understand what "drift cross" is. The truck looks like an absolute blast to drive and sounds really good. Nice job.