The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project "Shifted" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=551258)

Hart_Rod 12-02-2012 09:39 PM

Re: Project "Shifted"

I've got the LS1/T56 posted for sale here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554542

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5734055)
I hate to say it,... but I really like your truck with the Coys on it!
I actually think it looks better.

Some how I knew you would....:lol:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5734230)
I hate to say it too because I thought your truck looked awesome with the billets on it but I'm really digging the coys my friend!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by msgross (Post 5734701)
it looks terrible...

so let me know when the 68 is for sale...

Why would you want this piece of junk???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Portmod7 (Post 5735037)
It's hard to say which wheels look better, they both look great! I don't think you could go wrong either way. I think the billets look a little more aggressive, and the Coy's look more cruiser, if that makes any sense? Doesn't matter, SWEET truck either way!

Makes sense!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5735260)
If I were Jake I'd be asking Dad to get his truck off my build thread!:lol::lol::lol:

:lol:, roger! Dad is out....

Quote:

Originally Posted by wild4wheels (Post 5735319)
Awesome - can't wait to see this finished!

Thanks!

killer71 12-02-2012 09:59 PM

What steering wheel you gonna incorporate the shifting paddles on?
Posted via Mobile Device

mcbassin 12-02-2012 10:04 PM

Very cool project! I'm in
Posted via Mobile Device

Hart_Rod 12-02-2012 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killer71 (Post 5736408)
What steering wheel you gonna incorporate the shifting paddles on?
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.tciauto.com/tc/shifters/paddle.html

Designed to work with any automatic 4-, 5- or 6-speed transmission, as well as the TCI® 6x Six-Speed with EZ-TCU™ Transmission Controller, this 6-speed shifter features distinctive show car styling and shifting performance that’s perfect for track days or highway cruising.

Communicates to the TCU through a wireless CAN signal with no signal interference, lag time or disruption

Steering wheel mounted unit operates by ½-inch thick paddle shifters, which instantly instruct the transmission as to your gear of choice

Fits all 5- & 6-bolt aftermarket steering wheels

Ships with several spacers of varying width, allowing you to set the steering wheel location for personal preference

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbassin (Post 5736418)
Very cool project! I'm in
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks!

msgross 12-02-2012 11:27 PM

I need a beater... that's why..

sourkraut 12-04-2012 08:17 PM

Cool project!

Hart_Rod 12-11-2012 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5713542)
Cool man, I hope you go with the paddle shift!!

That was the agreement if we changed transmissions!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 72BlckButy (Post 5713753)
Nice progress; love the dash pad. :)

:lol:, thanks Nate!

Quote:

Originally Posted by VA72C10 (Post 5713777)
Great project! definitely not a "starter" to me...there's more money in parts for that truck than what I've spent on all the trucks I've ever owned :lol:

Thanks! I didn't mean that in a bragging way, and believe me, I make sure he understands how "privileged" he will be to have something like this. As long as he keeps his grades up and stays out of trouble, we're good, :D. I know you'll eventually build yourself a show quality ride, but for now, you are doing it the right way, :metal:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by emilio impala (Post 5714354)
:metal:

Could you give me more information of this dashboard?

Me podrias dar mas informacion de ese tablero de instrumentos?

Emilio - they are Dakota Digital VHX gauges. I got a good deal on them from boardmember, ProPerformance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5715161)
dam nice lookin truck, like the wheels and the gas tank

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJs69CST (Post 5715178)
Looks great!
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5716049)
Such a sweet truck, and a great idea for building some solid mechanical skills for Jake. Top notch Dad for sure!

I'm lucky, I've got a Top-Notch son!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Rods (Post 5716073)
Cool build
Posted via Mobile Device

Thanks!

Small updates: Sold the LS1/T56 setup to Curt Hill of Hill's Rod & Customs (thanks Curt!). He's going to build a sweet little 67 with the drivetrain setup. I also picked up a set of his front wheel tubs which will go well with the Porterbuilt front setup. I'm thinking about doing a flip hood instead of cutting the firewall and adding hinges. Thoughts?

I'm waiting on a few parts, once they arrive I plan on mocking up the engine/transmission, finishing up some welding, and then, hopefully sand blast and paint the frame over the holidays.......

69CST-V 12-11-2012 11:11 AM

Looks like a nice clean truck to start with. Keep up the progress. Looks good.

RWB-713 12-11-2012 02:56 PM

Looking great so far! I REALLY wish I could've got started this in depth when I was 16! Just knowing how much I've learned and how far I've come in the last couple years in which I've actually had a truck down to the frame and ( Painfully ) slowly putting it back together, I know that if i'd have gotten started younger, I'd be leaps and bounds ahead of where I'm at now, but hey ya learn as ya go right?! Your son is one lucky guy and I'll be following the thread!

Hart_Rod 12-20-2012 09:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 69CST-V (Post 5752236)
Looks like a nice clean truck to start with. Keep up the progress. Looks good.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by RWB-713 (Post 5752689)
Looking great so far! I REALLY wish I could've got started this in depth when I was 16! Just knowing how much I've learned and how far I've come in the last couple years in which I've actually had a truck down to the frame and ( Painfully ) slowly putting it back together, I know that if i'd have gotten started younger, I'd be leaps and bounds ahead of where I'm at now, but hey ya learn as ya go right?! Your son is one lucky guy and I'll be following the thread!

Better late than never! Keep up the good work.

Some small steps forward, sold the chassis and some parts that were not needed, got the LS1/T56 on a shipping pallet and read to go to it's new owner in Cali (thanks Curt)! Now we will have some more room to mock up the new motor and tranny in the chassis (as soon as the rest of our parts show up Monday....).

C10_ustacould 12-20-2012 11:01 PM

Stoked to see you are moving forward! You getting a brown truck Christmas on Monday? :)

Hart_Rod 12-21-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucksSS (Post 5769889)
Stoked to see you are moving forward! You getting a brown truck Christmas on Monday? :)

Hopefully the bushing for the PB motor mounts show up then.....

JAA 12-21-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapster (Post 5701043)
Nice build,

Another nice paddle shifter is Twist Machine. I am also looking at going this route when I eat there.

Cheers
Posted via Mobile Device

I know of a guy that used the Twist Machine paddles on his install of a 4L80E into his 74 SD 455 Trans Am. It's a pretty sweet setup. I believe installation harness and everything was TCI stuff and after tweaking the tune, it ran out great.

I think visually it looks pretty clean.

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ps60808c62.jpg

Hart_Rod 12-22-2012 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JAA (Post 5770608)
I know of a guy that used the Twist Machine paddles on his install of a 4L80E into his 74 SD 455 Trans Am. It's a pretty sweet setup. I believe installation harness and everything was TCI stuff and after tweaking the tune, it ran out great.

I think visually it looks pretty clean.

Thanks, That is a clean setup and we'll look into it when we get to that point. So with the old chassis and extra engine gone, we reorganized the garage to give us some more working room. Everything is prepped to mount the engine/tranny when our parts arrive. Now, I have a little down time on his, I can install the front tubular a-arms on my 68, :metal:.
Posted via Mobile Device

thelonerife 12-22-2012 12:02 PM

Cool project! I'll be watching.

67c10rustbuket 12-22-2012 11:05 PM

I like where this is going, lucky kid you have! I really like the T56 idea better but the paddle shift will be awesome. Seems every time I have a manual I want an auto and vice versa. love shifting gears but gets tiring trying to shift with a drink in one hand and a phone in the other :uhmk: So are you from Oklahoma? I see that Boomer Sooner under your name.

Hart_Rod 12-22-2012 11:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by thelonerife (Post 5772276)
Cool project! I'll be watching.

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67c10rustbuket (Post 5773192)
I like where this is going, lucky kid you have! I really like the T56 idea better but the paddle shift will be awesome. Seems every time I have a manual I want an auto and vice versa. love shifting gears but gets tiring trying to shift with a drink in one hand and a phone in the other :uhmk: So are you from Oklahoma? I see that Boomer Sooner under your name.

Thanks! I'm torn too, but hopefully this will be the best of both worlds...I grew up in a small town called Smithville in SE Oklahoma. It's about 45 miles north of Broken Bow. Graudated from OU in 94.

texastrendz 12-22-2012 11:52 PM

If you don't mind can you tell me what setup you are running on the radiator setup. I am putting an LS motor in a dropmember truck and I liked the look of yours. Thanks Daniel.

67c10rustbuket 12-23-2012 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 5773208)
Thanks!

Thanks! I'm torn too, but hopefully this will be the best of both worlds...I grew up in a small town called Smithville in SE Oklahoma. It's about 45 miles north of Broken Bow. Graudated from OU in 94.

Cool, Smithville is quite a ways from me, I graduated from Tecumseh high school in '95 out near where mcbassin is but I am not really "from" Oklahoma but I have been here since '91. Once I finish my midlife crisis associate degree I will be attending the OU school of engineering. Im not too loyal/crazy about either but I do prefer to wear black and orange but I will have to switch when I officially become a student there. I work just a couple miles from OU and lived in Norman for a few years. I just realize your '68 is one of the few that drew me into this site once I started to work on mine every time I googled something about my truck I ended up on this site and found your '68 build which is just plain gorgeous!

Hart_Rod 12-26-2012 11:26 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally started stabbing the motor tonight. From the looks of it, I'm probably going to have to come up with a different plan for the accessories and the headers....:waah:. I wanted to use all the stock stuff because they are nearly new, but the alternator hits the rack lines and the a/c compressor is bumping into the motor truss setup. Also, I'm pretty sure the Doug Thorley header collectors will hit the bottom of the floor. Oh well, 2 steps forward and 3 back....:D.

Zoomin 12-27-2012 12:09 AM

Nothing a Sawzall and a BFH can't fix. :smoke:
Posted via Mobile Device

Rusbuilt 12-27-2012 12:11 AM

That sucks bro

Hart_Rod 01-04-2013 07:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoomin (Post 5779444)
Nothing a Sawzall and a BFH can't fix. :smoke:
Posted via Mobile Device

:lol:, true Dat!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusbuilt (Post 5779447)
That sucks bro

Minor setback! I think I have an alternate plan, ;).

I did have some parts show up today. A auto high hump from boardmember DAHOS and a set of front tubs from Curt Hill of Hill's Rod Shop!

Rusbuilt 01-04-2013 07:53 PM

Those tubs look awesome! Will they be black or will you paint them the body color?

Rochlow 01-04-2013 07:54 PM

Love those inner fenders!
Posted via Mobile Device