The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   LockDoc's "Low Budget", "Low Maintenance" Project Thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=829820)

Ol Blue K20 01-30-2022 07:06 AM

Re: LockDoc's "Low Budget", "Low Maintenance" Project Thread

I like it....a lot!

Palf70Step 01-30-2022 08:32 AM

:agree: Looking good Doc!

LockDoc 01-31-2022 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 (Post 9026875)
I like it....a lot!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palf70Step (Post 9026897)
:agree: Looking good Doc!

Thanks guys.

It's a nice day today but it will start getting colder soon. I am working on this outside so things may slow down unless I can figure out a place to store the '34 Ford Coupe so I can get it in the shop. I have been working on doing that for the last couple of months.... :(

I think I am gaining on it though.

LockDoc

LockDoc 01-31-2022 09:44 PM

-
I made enough room in the big building to put the '34 Coupe in there so hopefully it won't be long until I have the Dually in the shop. I need to do just a little more cleaning first. I am such a "slopo"

I also need to put the steering cloumn in the truck to make it easier to move.

LockDoc

Getter-Done 01-31-2022 11:54 PM

I really like the Mud Flaps:metal:

LockDoc 02-01-2022 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Getter-Done (Post 9028013)
I really like the Mud Flaps:metal:

Only problem is they aren't wide enough now.... :lol:

LockDoc

LockDoc 02-01-2022 01:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
-
OK, truck is in the shop. It's a tight fit but I should have enough room to get a bunch of stuff done on it. I started stripping out the wire loom on the engine today. I will be removing quite a few wires from it. I will be jumping back and forth on different things depending in how much time I have each day.

LockDoc

LockDoc 02-02-2022 02:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
-
I had a little time to kill so I decided to get started on setting up the ECM using my HP Tuners software this morning. I got it all connected and the laptop fired up. I built a wire loom so I could do all of the ECM programming stuff on the dining room table. It makes it a lot more enjoyable to be able to sit down in comfort....:)..

I got the original tune scanned and backed up to my hard drive, now I can go in and remove the VATS, EGR, rear 02 sensors, A/C, and 4x4 stuff. There are a few other things but I will have to look at my cheat sheet and double check. It has been quite a while since I did my '67 Panel Truck.

In the picture, the large grey box in the back is the regulated 12v power supply. There is a separate rocker switch that turns on the power to the ECM. The large silver box is the ECM (Truck Computer), and on top of it is the Diagnostic connector from under the dash of the donor truck. It has the cable from the HP Tuners interface box plugged into it. The small grey/black box is the HP Tuner interface that connects the ECM to the PC.

The PC will read the "tune" in the ECM, then you can make changes to it and write the modified "Tune" back to the ECM computer. The only thing you really have to remove to make the engine run is the VATS (key resistor chip) information that would keep the engine from starting.

I'm sure some of this stuff will be pretty boring to some but I want to document it for future reference.

LockDoc
-

Dieselwrencher 02-03-2022 06:57 AM

Leon, do you have the pro version of HPtuners, or just the entry level version?

BigBird05 02-03-2022 07:29 PM

I am looking at installing a LS motor in my truck. I am only in the cost feasibility stage. Can you help others with your knowledge? Maybe charge us for your computer time?

LockDoc 02-04-2022 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher (Post 9029226)
Leon, do you have the pro version of HPtuners, or just the entry level version?

Mine is just the standard version. The Pro version is about $250 more.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBird05 (Post 9029534)
I am looking at installing a LS motor in my truck. I am only in the cost feasibility stage. Can you help others with your knowledge? Maybe charge us for your computer time?

I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to be changing parameters in other peoples ECM's/PCM's. It's pretty easy to "Brick" one of them if you do something wrong. There may be others that hang out in the LSx Swaps forum that are more comfortable doing that. Sorry.

LockDoc

BigBird05 02-04-2022 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9029660)
Mine is just the standard version. The Pro version is about $250 more.

I don't consider myself knowledgeable enough to be changing parameters in other peoples ECM's/PCM's. It's pretty easy to "Brick" one of them if you do something wrong. There may be others that hang out in the LSx Swaps forum that are more comfortable doing that. Sorry.

LockDoc

OK just had to ask.

SRU1436 02-04-2022 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9028905)
-
I had a little time to kill so I decided to get started on setting up the ECM using my HP Tuners software this morning. I got it all connected and the laptop fired up. I built a wire loom so I could do all of the ECM programming stuff on the dining room table. It makes it a lot more enjoyable to be able to sit down in comfort....:)..

I got the original tune scanned and backed up to my hard drive, now I can go in and remove the VATS, EGR, rear 02 sensors, A/C, and 4x4 stuff. There are a few other things but I will have to look at my cheat sheet and double check. It has been quite a while since I did my '67 Panel Truck.

In the picture, the large grey box in the back is the regulated 12v power supply. I has the rocker switch that turns on the power to the ECM sitting on top of it. The large silver box is the ECM (Truck Computer), and on top of it is the Diagnostic connector from under the dash of the donor truck. It has the cable from the HP Tuners interface box plugged into it. The small grey/black box is the HP Tuner interface that connects the ECM to the PC.

The PC will read the "tune" in the ECM, then you can make changes to it and write the modified "Tune" back to the ECM computer. The only thing you really have to remove to make the engine run is the VATS (key resistor chip) information that would keep the engine from starting.

I'm sure some of this stuff will be pretty boring to some but I want to document it for future reference.

LockDoc
-

Wow that’s pretty trick. I never knew what you’re doing was possible. But then again I never looked into something like that.

67C10Step 02-04-2022 12:01 PM

Just stumbled onto this one and am so glad I did. The photo with the cab and bed on made me smile from ear to ear. Cannot say how much I like that.

I'm in to see how this comes out.

kev2809 02-04-2022 01:02 PM

man this looks like a fun build.

are you going to leave the rear bed like that...or add dually fenders?

LT7A 02-04-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

"I built a wire loom so I could do all of the ECM programming stuff on the dining room table. It makes it a lot more enjoyable to be able to sit down in comfort......"
And enjoy your latest batch of cookies ; )

Very cool that you've been able to get that set up and have that knowledge. I would like to be able to get to that point eventually.

LockDoc 02-04-2022 02:19 PM

-
Quote:

Originally Posted by SRU1436 (Post 9029779)
Wow that’s pretty trick. I never knew what you’re doing was possible. But then again I never looked into something like that.

The wire loom for this setup was actually pretty easy to make. You can access the truck computer and change pretty much anything you want. I will have to change the rear end ratio, tire size, and tach output among other things in the truck computer to make everything work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67C10Step (Post 9029810)
Just stumbled onto this one and am so glad I did. The photo with the cab and bed on made me smile from ear to ear. Cannot say how much I like that.

I'm in to see how this comes out.

Thanks I'm having fun with this one. My friend made it back from Texas yesterday so we are planning on installing the back slider window and windshield next Wednesday.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev2809 (Post 9029840)
man this looks like a fun build.

are you going to leave the rear bed like that...or add dually fenders?

I will either leave it as is or put 2 1/2" wide rubber trim around the openings. No fenders....

Quote:

Originally Posted by LT7A (Post 9029856)

And enjoy your latest batch of cookies ; )

Very cool that you've been able to get that set up and have that knowledge. I would like to be able to get to that point eventually.

The cookie container is within arms reach.... :)

If an old school-old fart like me can figure it out anyone can. It just involves a lot of reading. All of the information is on here and numerous other sites on the net.

Thanks guys.

LockDoc

BLAZERMAN 02-06-2022 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 9029882)
-

I will either leave it as is or put 2 1/2" wide rubber trim around the openings. No fenders....

LockDoc

Cool.project Leon, looks like your.making really good progress on it. As for your rear wheel openings keep your eye out for a set of 76-86 JEEP CJ-5, CJ-7 factory rear wheel flares. They fit our wheel arches almost perfectly. They don't cover the entire wheel openings but.most of it. You should be able to find a set cheap and they're molded and look much better than the cut to fit ones.

BLAZERMAN 02-06-2022 09:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a Longhorn dually I saw on a FB group the other day.

pwdcougar 02-06-2022 09:42 PM

Looks like a fun build Leon!

Louisvillekytruck 02-06-2022 09:45 PM

Looking great

LockDoc 02-06-2022 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN (Post 9030991)
Cool.project Leon, looks like your.msking really good progress on it. As for your rear wheel openings keep your eye out for a set of 76-86 JEEP CJ-5, CJ-7 factory rear wheel flares. They fit our wheel arches almost perfectly. They don't cover the entire wheel openings but.most of it. You should be able to find a set cheap and they're molded and look much better than the cut to fit ones.

Thanks Rob. I have been working pretty steady on it. I hope I can keep the momentum up. I need to go over to the local salvage yard as soon as some of the snow melts so I will check out the Jeep flares.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAZERMAN (Post 9030995)
Here's a Longhorn dually I saw on a FB group the other day.

I was going to do a Longhorn based on a '67-'68 and I pretty much had everything to make it happen except the cab and frame weren't in very good shape. I sure like them.

LockDoc

LockDoc 02-06-2022 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwdcougar (Post 9030997)
Looks like a fun build Leon!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Louisvillekytruck (Post 9031000)
Looking great

Thanks guys. It's been fun so far. I'm looking forward to more progress in the coming weeks.

LockDoc

68Gold/white 02-06-2022 11:03 PM

Leon, I vote “ no” on the flares. The look you have now, is better and likely uncommon....

kev2809 02-07-2022 10:46 AM

ya I'd have to see the flares I think. I like that look the way it is. there might be laws though in your state since they poke past the wheel well