The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   progress pictures (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=180941)

CPNEJR 01-09-2006 07:59 PM

Re: progress pictures

i wish i had the tallent to do something like that! i guess thats why i like to keep it stock so i won't get confused btw:phat:

N2TRUX 01-09-2006 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPNEJR
i wish i had the tallent to do something like that! i guess thats why i like to keep it stock so i won't get confused btw:phat:

You aquire the talent by practice. Granted some folks are more gifted by nature, but if you have the desire to modify things start small and learn as you go...:)

mike nutt 01-10-2006 07:20 AM

the frame is z'd right behind the core support annd right in front of the cab. the complete suspension is raised as one unit ,custom motor mounts were used to lower the motor down . the motor and trans were pre fit with exaust to make sure evrey thing fit .once the bed is complete the whole truck has to come back apart for the last time.

mike nutt 01-10-2006 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPNEJR

if it weren't for the help and knowledge of a good friend ,then a lot of the custom fab work wouldn't be done on this truck.

mike nutt 04-17-2006 07:58 PM

here's a few more pics of the latest progress

Palf70Step 04-17-2006 08:08 PM

Very Nice!! :metal:

mike nutt 04-17-2006 08:17 PM

more pics

mike nutt 04-17-2006 08:25 PM

more pics

Jerry Jones 04-17-2006 08:55 PM

might I say... AWSOME!!!

68 short step 04-17-2006 10:56 PM

keep up posted........great pics, me like em!!!good job

djracer 04-17-2006 11:17 PM

Mike it looks good in the pics but better in person! If you plan on keeping the fat motor through that ragged fram filter in the trash!

mike nutt 04-18-2006 05:54 AM

thanks guys , kevin the fram filter was used while i painted the engine , i'm going to run a k&n oil filter or would you recommend something else. more pics coming soon. i am also looking for opinions on which bed to use , i have the modified late model bed in the pics in this thread and have also aquired a very staight and rust free '70 stepside bed. what do ya'll think.

djracer 04-18-2006 08:05 AM

system one would be best but a/c, wix, purolater anything but a FRAM!

smbrouss70 04-18-2006 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike nutt
thanks guys , kevin the fram filter was used while i painted the engine , i'm going to run a k&n oil filter or would you recommend something else. more pics coming soon. i am also looking for opinions on which bed to use , i have the modified late model bed in the pics in this thread and have also aquired a very staight and rust free '70 stepside bed. what do ya'll think.

DEFINATELY the original stepside... I don't like the new stepsides on our trucks, but then again, it's your truck so it's your call.

kevncar 04-18-2006 09:57 PM

Mike,
Looks amazing man. Got a couple of questions.
1.) What's the part number or application on the headers? I see they are hedman 3/4 length. Getting ready to find something for my 67 w/ 454. Looks like you had to do a little trimming on the frame. Do you think that would of been an issue if you didn't need to lower the motor?

2.) Those valve cover look awesome!!!! What...when...where...how??? More info, please.

thanks

local13hutch 04-19-2006 04:52 AM

You are giving me inspiration, After seeing your handy work I'm hittin my garage first thing in the morning. looks great keep it up. local13hutch.out

mike nutt 04-19-2006 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevncar
Mike,
Looks amazing man. Got a couple of questions.
1.) What's the part number or application on the headers? I see they are hedman 3/4 length. Getting ready to find something for my 67 w/ 454. Looks like you had to do a little trimming on the frame. Do you think that would of been an issue if you didn't need to lower the motor?

2.) Those valve cover look awesome!!!! What...when...where...how??? More info, please.

thanks

kevncar, the headers are the heddman elite series ,i think they were 69 camero big block shortys , i have the part number but i'll have to find it for you,and yes my opinion is that they will fit the stock chassis set up with minimal mods to the frame. the valve covers are from EDDY MARINE, they are a marine aftermarket company , i got lucky on these , there was a boat sales place here local going out of busness and picked them up for $10.00, they are aluminum and were polished but these will be painted with a little air brush work

Yukon Jack 04-19-2006 09:31 AM

Cool to see new progress pics. Looking killer!

I definitely vote for the correct era stepside bed.

FormerMember 04-19-2006 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike nutt
kevncar, the headers are the heddman elite series ,i think they were 69 camero big block shortys , i have the part number but i'll have to find it for you,and yes my opinion is that they will fit the stock chassis set up with minimal mods to the frame. the valve covers are from EDDY MARINE, they are a marine aftermarket company , i got lucky on these , there was a boat sales place here local going out of busness and picked them up for $10.00, they are aluminum and were polished but these will be painted with a little air brush work

What motor mounts are you using?

I have the 72 BBC mounts and the same headers. Right now, the driver's side header is hitting the frame side of the mount.

kevncar 04-19-2006 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grendel
What motor mounts are you using?

I have the 72 BBC mounts and the same headers. Right now, the driver's side header is hitting the frame side of the mount.

I have the tubular motor mounts from performance online.com. Do they look like they will have the same problem you're having with the stock mounts?

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g7...1537Medium.jpg

FormerMember 04-19-2006 10:00 AM

No, the stock mount has a reinforcing ridge that is interfering with the header.

Might be the way for me to go.

1969 C/K CST 04-19-2006 11:31 AM

Nice transformation. You do good work.

jay-dawg 04-20-2006 11:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Progress looks great. One question...

Why did you put the square piece on the crossmember? Is there clearance problems with the cab?

mike nutt 04-20-2006 11:55 AM

jay_dawg , the square tube was used to gain clearance for the drive shaft, the transmission was raised to level the engine after the frame Z

mike nutt 04-22-2006 06:45 PM

the valve covers are painted and a little more progress on the engine