The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Racing and high performance (trucks haulin more than hay) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   pass time (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=300221)

PA-IndianRider 08-06-2008 06:50 AM

Re: pass time

[quote=67dragtruck;2836595]
Quote:

Originally Posted by PA-IndianRider (Post 2836542)
That's funny. Ask DJ if I speak from experience or if I'm just young and stupid. I quit racing because I didn't have an unlimited supply of cash, but while I did race I think what I did speaks for itself.
Tom

Ahhhhhh .... "ANOTHER of the signs of being a senior".....

Opppppps..... A BIG MIS-QUOTE on my part..... Sorry Tom .....meant my "words of advice" for a "junior member" ..... but then again in "truth" I guess my words could apply anyone & everyone who forgets about the PROTENTIAL dangers of drag racing.... and to a lesser degree the outcome of the drag car along with all the hard work, money and especially the TIME it took to build it.

Now that I know what/who/why prompted me to quote and who said what ..... ha!!! .... I have to REPEAT what I have said to DJ in the past.... his C10 (formerly owned by HotRod80) is one of the nicest "setup for drag racing" C10's I have ever seen.... PLUS being a "step-side-guy" that "lil blue truck" has been in my dreams on many a night...."steps & all:....ha!!!

But I think any of us ...either our youngest "teen member" to the most "seasoned veteran" has "either been then ...done that" and in so doing learned from "mistakes" which in the "end" has made them a much better & experienced racer.... if they make it thru the event.

What MIGHT seem to some as being "over cautious" on my part is NOT.... it's just that I am "overly sensitive" due to having lost freinds in drag racing related accidents.

All of us have seen the videos posted on this website of the fires of cars burning up on the starting line due to NOT being setup properly to handle "ALL that NOS".

Even with the experienced racer like Scott Kalitta ..... accidents happen..... so why PUSH the envelope for NO GOOD reason.... the signs of MY youth.... and of some of my friends who are no longer with us.

67dragtruck 08-06-2008 07:50 AM

3 Attachment(s)
[QUOTE=PA-IndianRider;2837859][quote=67dragtruck;2836595]

"Now that I know what/who/why prompted me to quote and who said what ..... ha!!! .... I have to REPEAT what I have said to DJ in the past.... his C10 (formerly owned by HotRod80) is one of the nicest "setup for drag racing" C10's I have ever seen.... PLUS being a "step-side-guy" that "lil blue truck" has been in my dreams on many a night...."steps & all:....ha!!!"

I'm not sure you are getting it. I don't know if he has another C10 that was previously owned by HotRod80 or not, but since you are mentioning his current truck that used to be a blue stepside "setup for drag racing", that was MY truck not HotRod80's. I built it.

You've mentioned this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ight=dragtruck

It is not a coincidence that the name of that truck and my handle on here are the same

Remember this thread:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=300066

DJ's truck, yep the way it left my house when he bought it.

As for drag racing. Accidents do happen, but when it comes to heads up racing, nobody goes out there and makes an easy test pass to see how the track feels. The first pass is the first full pass right off the trailer and that's how it goes if you want to qualify well and what it takes to win. A good driver does know his ride and knows when to lift. You mention experience to know it will hook up. Well I made hundreds upon hundreds of passes in that truck on all kinds of tracks and tweaked on it till it would go down the slickest of tracks while others were spinning. Of all the vehicles on pass time, I KNEW that one would go down the track from experience.

Here's a couple of more pictures. The first one is from a limited street race and the second one is the picture of it in my office from years ago before the fat man fab front end and while it weighed 3850 lbs. The last pic is my favorite and the guy standing next to it during the burnout is my dad. He helped with every step of building that truck and helped at every race. Guess what, they are all the same truck.

Tom Durham

djracer 08-28-2008 12:01 PM

They are rerunning the show already! I caught it on the DVR friday night I think!

71Dragtruck 08-28-2008 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djracer (Post 2867270)
They are rerunning the show already! I caught it on the DVR friday night I think!

Yes they are, couldn't help to notice your little white lie " all stock suspension like it came from the factory " ha ha just messing with ya Kevin. Anyway glad they are replaying it, I have a PVR Reciever now and have it and Marv on Pinks recorded and saved.

70rs/ss 08-29-2008 05:30 PM

Man, I have watched every episode I can catch and have not seen it!! There have been several trucks of out Vintage, but no DJ! I like the ones from Area 51, some of those guys come a packin', quiet but packin' a BIG stick!! I remember when a 10 second pass was fast, and 13-14's were respectable, but with technology and the aftermarket, a button push and 11's seem to be the norm, with 9's being quick (not fast??) Man, for those that say the age of the HP and Muscle cars is dead, they have been sleeping or something!

panhandler62 09-04-2008 12:34 PM

I saw ya on the re-run.

She hooks up and lights out beautifuly.

djracer 09-04-2008 06:57 PM

thanks Keith

scatesracing 09-05-2008 05:31 PM

I still havnt caught it.... the one last night had a nice green one on there..... Gives me a good reason to watch the show every time we run across it . I just tell my wife this might be the one with Kevins truck on it and she gives in and lets me wach. LOL

71Dragtruck 09-05-2008 06:07 PM

I think I just heard a whip crack all the way up here :lol:! LOL just kiding;)! There has been alot of nice trucks on there lately.

djracer 09-05-2008 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scatesracing (Post 2878003)
I still havnt caught it.... the one last night had a nice green one on there..... Gives me a good reason to watch the show every time we run across it . I just tell my wife this might be the one with Kevins truck on it and she gives in and lets me wach. LOL

that track must be Junk. most cars have a hard time getting down it.

hotrod 80 09-06-2008 06:59 AM

I just skimmed through this thread again and want to make it clear that i only posted twice in this thread #23 & #42 . I did not own or build the truck . I have a LUV truck with a small block . There looks like alot of misquoting going on and i just just want to clear the air . I have never had a full size drag truck and am not the person who built this truck or made it as successful as it is and has been . I have not even gone as fast as Djracer or 67 drag truck , but i am working on it every weekend .

As for the junior member comment , i am 40 years old . I have made at least 25 passes a year since i was 16 years old (most years alot more) . I have 325 passes on my current set up in the 2 years since i purchased and built it . I don't bracket race ( Nothing against the bracket racers in the group ) . I race heads up . Heads up is a hard game to play .

Forgive me for defending myself as this is off topic and not an attempt to high jack a perfectly good thread .

hiway 09-06-2008 10:55 AM

Good showing on Pass Times. Best 30 minutes on tv. I also like the fact that you went FASTER than they guessed!

scatesracing 09-06-2008 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck (Post 2878046)
I think I just heard a whip crack all the way up here :lol:! LOL just kiding;)! There has been alot of nice trucks on there lately.

you know how those red heads can be.LOL

scatesracing 09-06-2008 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djracer (Post 2878088)
that track must be Junk. most cars have a hard time getting down it.

I noticed that too........ it was pretty cold though

djracer 09-06-2008 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiway (Post 2878843)
Good showing on Pass Times. Best 30 minutes on tv. I also like the fact that you went FASTER than they guessed!

Thanks brother!

scatesracing 12-21-2008 11:39 PM

I finaly saw it last night........... finaly.. I bet I have seen everone at least twice if not ten times and i just saw it

LuckyHenriksen 12-22-2008 12:54 AM

Thats awesome

djracer 12-22-2008 07:35 AM

I'm glad you got to see it. they have shown it several times. I wish they had more new and less reruns. Maybe I can track them down when I get the new bullit in there!

Sinister-65 12-22-2008 01:00 PM

I seen it also nice pass congrats.

djracer 12-22-2008 01:49 PM

Thanks. I have a bigger bullet at the machine shop.

phipp13 01-06-2009 08:14 PM

MAN That was awsome!!!! way to represent DJ!!!! i had to copy that to my bucket.. DJ with your thick BAMA accent and my thick Yankee Boston accent when we fianally meet we're gonna need an interpreter LOL. v/r phipp13

djracer 01-06-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phipp13 (Post 3070562)
MAN That was awsome!!!! way to represent DJ!!!! i had to copy that to my bucket.. DJ with your thick BAMA accent and my thick Yankee Boston accent when we fianally meet we're gonna need an interpreter LOL. v/r phipp13

You hang around bama very long your friends will wonder what happened to you when you get back home.

stepside454 01-06-2009 09:43 PM

I havent caught it on TV, but the clip you posted. Very nice pass, that little 468 revs quick, hooks up like a Chevelle, very nice.

djracer 01-06-2009 10:21 PM

Thanks I hope the 548 runs even better!

phipp13 01-10-2009 02:33 AM

you puttin a fogger on that 548?? hang on ! left yankee land in 89 and i'll never move back! one of my childhood buddies has been a BAMMA convert for 20 years now. could never tell by hearing him talk he's a yankee. NOT ME LOL