The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Glock's new project: "Fred" w/ 5.3L LS swap info (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=350986)

glock35ipsc 07-11-2009 12:58 AM

Re: Glock's new project: "Fred"

2 Attachment(s)
Drive it like ya stole it!

Got another major improvement partially done tonight. Got the Alpine installed. :metal: Oh, the chips in the paint to the right of the radio were already there! :ito:

I need to get a different sub as my Rockford Fosgate 12" is WAAAAAYYY too deep to fit behind the seat...... or under it, or even on it! So I'll probably look for some shallow 10's and a box, or build one. And I don't have the amp or the component speakers installed yet. But at least now I can play CD's!

72BlckButy 07-11-2009 06:34 AM

The radio install looks nice Bob!

cochino12 07-11-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 3406120)
Drive it like ya stole it!

Got another major improvement partially done tonight. Got the Alpine installed. :metal: Oh, the chips in the paint to the right of the radio were already there! :ito:

I need to get a different sub as my Rockford Fosgate 12" is WAAAAAYYY too deep to fit behind the seat...... or under it, or even on it! So I'll probably look for some shallow 10's and a box, or build one. And I don't have the amp or the component speakers installed yet. But at least now I can play CD's!

Bob, I can still get a lot of the major brands at wholesale down here so if you are looking for a new sub give me a call

glock35ipsc 07-11-2009 10:50 AM

Adam, you still coming up tonight?

glock35ipsc 07-11-2009 06:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did a couple more things today, nothing big. The burb had one of those under hood trouble lights/reel lights, and I have been wanting to put it on the truck. So my son pulled it and the wire harness off and I got it put on the truck.

I also painted the back frame of the wing windows. The passenger side was rusty, and the drivers side wasn't far behind it. So I scuffed them both, masked them off, and sprayed them with some semi-flat black.

glock35ipsc 07-11-2009 06:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Start em young! My son is already learning to MIG weld at age 8, and my daughter asked if she could help take the burb apart. How could I say no to that!!!

Palf70Step 07-11-2009 08:24 PM

:metal:

HuggerCST 07-11-2009 11:09 PM

You just can't say no to that!:chevy:

glock35ipsc 07-12-2009 07:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The kids and I took a road trip to Denver today to board member Lemield's house to pick up this gem (thanks Larry!!). It's a door jack/stand. It is going to be worth it's weight in gold when I go to rebuild the door hinges. And while it's here, I'm going to rebuild the hinges on Goldie, my Dad's 69 C20, and my brother's 80 snow plow truck.

The door edge sits in the groove on top of the jack. Then there is an attachment and extensions to allow one piece to attach to the latch just like the Nader pin does. Another hooks over the top of the door on the outside (with the window down) to hold everything steady. It looks like fun, and I can"t wait to use it. :D

Also, I finally ran a full tank of fuel through Fred. Even with the A/C on most of the time and a high speed interstate run last night, this tank averaged 14.4 mpg. Not too bad!

JohnC 07-13-2009 08:29 AM

That is pretty good mileage! :metal:

Glad to see you are molding another generation of car enthusiasts there!

glock35ipsc 07-13-2009 11:17 AM

Still haggling with the LKQ rep to get the best deal on a low mileage 5.3L with front accessories, harness, throttle pedal/harness/TAC unit, etc......

tvblazer78 07-13-2009 01:11 PM

Looking good Bob...:metal:

JohnC 07-13-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 3409652)
Still haggling with the LKQ rep to get the best deal on a low mileage 5.3L with front accessories, harness, throttle pedal/harness/TAC unit, etc......

Stay on them man, tell them you have many fans waiting for the results! :lol:

nlped 07-13-2009 04:23 PM

You are knockin' it out. Looks good!

bigbadjohn84 07-13-2009 11:04 PM

GOOD GAWD MAN! that's the beginnings of pretty sweet build. I've always wanted to do the 5.3 or even 6.0 swap.. but the computers and all the wiring makes me nervous lol

JohnC 07-14-2009 08:39 AM

A lot of companies now make the swap almost a plug and play deal. The market is getting better and better for these swaps.

Lemield 07-14-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 3408552)
The kids and I took a road trip to Denver today to board member Lemield's house to pick up this gem (thanks Larry!!). It's a door jack/stand. It is going to be worth it's weight in gold when I go to rebuild the door hinges. And while it's here, I'm going to rebuild the hinges on Goldie, my Dad's 69 C20, and my brother's 80 snow plow truck.

No problem Bob...that's the way to do it....I want to see pictures of the tool in action...:)
Love the pictures of your helper(s) They are both naturals at the truck repair stuff...:)

ndametz32 07-14-2009 02:12 PM

You've made more progress on this in a couple of weeks than I have in a couple of years :(

glock35ipsc 07-14-2009 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndametz32
You've made more progress on this in a couple of weeks than I have in a couple of years :(

That's because I can see light at the end of the tunnel with this one! With the 68, there was no light, because the tunnel had no exit! :haha: I hit a wall with the 68 and couldn't go anywhere, and hadn't done much of anything significant, except to build the dash, in at least 3 years. At least with Fred, I can drive him to work, go home and do something to him, then drive him to work again the next day. As long as I can keep doing that, I think Fred will progress quickly. The exception being of course doing the Vortec swap this winter, then painting the exterior next winter.

Speaking of the Vortec, I transferred 1/2 of the $$ needed for the engine to my truck account today, and the rest will be transferred on July 31. Then on August 3, I pick up the phone and call whoever decides they want my business the most (Certified Auto Recycling or LKQ) and get a complete 5.3L heading my way! :metal: :metal: :metal: :metal:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lemield
No problem Bob...that's the way to do it....I want to see pictures of the tool in action...
Love the pictures of your helper(s) They are both naturals at the truck repair stuff...

Oh, you know how I like pictures! http://www.the-gallaghers.com/graphi...a_Emoticon.gif

Bryce was a bit bummed when I told him I needed the engine stand that the 350 he has been tinkering with is on, but once he understood that a Vortec would be hanging on it AND he would be helping me tear it down to clean up and paint, he decided that it was OK then. :D

glock35ipsc 07-17-2009 10:27 PM

Just a quick update -

I got the driver door hinges rebuilt the other night. It still doesn't shut well at all, but at least they have no play now. I have a door alignment tool on the way. I should have that Wednesday, then maybe I can get it all lined up and shutting correctly.

Tonight I installed the drivers wing window and the door glass seal off the Suburban. Now, with those two things in, along with adjusting the Nader pin a few days ago to help pull the door tighter in to the cab, there is hardly any wind noise now. :metal: I still need either an inside rattle strip for both doors, or just break down and buy a new set.

I'm taking another trip to Denver this Sunday, and my wife and I are taking Fred to Steamboat Springs in a couple weeks, so at least now the highway speeds will be much quieter!

glock35ipsc 07-17-2009 11:45 PM

OH, SCORE!!!!!! I was looking over the Burb making a list of stuff I want to pull and noticed the Nader pins seemed fatter than what was on the truck. Looked at the truck and the pin for the drivers door is missing a plastic sleeve around it. NO WONDER there was a metal-to-metal sound when slamming the door. :banghead:

So I pulled the left rear pin off the burb, it looked almost new, and stuck it on the truck. OMG, that door closes sooooooo much nicer!!!! It's still a little off, so the door alignment tool will still come in handy. But holy cow!!! I don't have to slam the crap out of it now.

texasfunk 07-18-2009 01:35 AM

truck is looking good! love red trucks, wanted mine red but dont want to change interior! i myself got a burb parts truck and they come in handy haha :D keep up the great work!

JohnC 07-18-2009 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 3418135)
OH, SCORE!!!!!! I was looking over the Burb making a list of stuff I want to pull and noticed the Nader pins seemed fatter than what was on the truck. Looked at the truck and the pin for the drivers door is missing a plastic sleeve around it. NO WONDER there was a metal-to-metal sound when slamming the door. :banghead:

So I pulled the left rear pin off the burb, it looked almost new, and stuck it on the truck. OMG, that door closes sooooooo much nicer!!!! It's still a little off, so the door alignment tool will still come in handy. But holy cow!!! I don't have to slam the crap out of it now.

Cool! That's a nice thing about having a parts vehicle readily available!

menace121978 07-18-2009 08:56 AM

right on bob! im glad you got that door all figured out. probably feels like a new one and no wind noise too!!

SBTork 07-18-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc (Post 3404747)
True, between the weight of the truck and the weight/friction loss of the 4wd components, it may be possible. I just have it stuck in my head since owning that truck that 6.0L = 14 mpg. :lol:

That and the 4L80e and 14 bolt rear axle that came in a 1500HD both take a lot of power to turn. I'd run a built 4L60e or 4L65e. They're not as bullit proof but built right they can be strong. Something to consider.

Congrats on the progress, it's going to be a nice truck.