The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ashtray slide out LCD screen (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=370004)

Shaffer4 11-04-2009 03:18 AM

Re: Ashtray slide out LCD screen

depending on the height, you could probably do the 6.95" screen if you could build a mechanism that allowed the screen to fit inside the opening sideways and then pivot properly in order to straighten out.

Andy4639 11-04-2009 04:05 AM

That's more like it. All the ones I have looked at tonight are built into the dual din models. You have to cut the dash for them to fit. What search terms are you using to find them seperate.:chevy:

k2rm 11-04-2009 11:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here is the rest of the assembly.

(1st Picture) I cut a L-bracket from a hardware store to fit to the LCD bracket that came with the screen, and allow for the attachment of the second post endclamp with a 1/4-20 nut. I drilled holes in the L-bracket to match the holes in the LCD bracket and used 3/8" barrel bolts to attach it. The L-bracket was painted flat black. This second post endclamp acts as the hinge and the spring thumbscrew sets the tension so that the screen can be tilted at any angle without it flopping down.

(2nd Picture) The ashtray door is removed from the ashtray by drilling out the two rivets. To attach the ashtray door, place the door over the top of the bracket. The brace will not be at the right angle, so it needs to be slightly bent to lie flush with the L-bracket. I placed industrial strenght 3M double stick tape on the top of the LCD bracket and attached the door. The double stick tape holds the door inplace for the next step and adds additional cusion and support since we can't drill through the door.

(3rd Picture) The ashtray door is secured to the L-bracket by drilling two holes through the door brace and L-bracket and screwing them together.

(4th picture) Attach the rail car and hinge assembly to the LCD bracket assembly.

k2rm 11-04-2009 11:48 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are the rest of the pictures when installing the assembly into the truck.

k2rm 11-04-2009 12:20 PM

Just to be clear, the Carportal system is required to make the LCD screen work:
http://www.dealercostcaraudio.com/kos-v500.aspx

The cost for the screen and carportal is likely to be around 600, unless you go with crutchfield and pay a 200 premium.

Cheaper alternatives could be using the mount for an IPod touch, Garmin GPS with MP3 capability, or other media players that fit the dimensions of the opening.

PowerPro 11-04-2009 12:32 PM

Ok, so If i'm looking at this right, this is not just a pull it out and flip it up set-up. You have to tighten some screws after you pull it up and flip it up to keep it in place, which is fine, I personally would like to be able to pull it out and flip it up and have it stay, but that's personal preference.

On to the actual question - is there anything preventing the screen from getting scraped or being bumped around while in the stored position or is it sufficiently held above the bottom part of the ash-tray slot to where it's not an issue?

Excellent work and ingenuity... excellent.

watahyahknow 11-04-2009 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPro (Post 3602174)

On to the actual question - is there anything preventing the screen from getting scraped or being bumped around while in the stored position or is it sufficiently held above the bottom part of the ash-tray slot to where it's not an issue?

that should be eazy to do with 4 small rubber wedges directly behind the ashtraylid stuck to the screen part so it wedges itself tight intoo the hole , the only thing touching the edges of the dash then would be the rubber
the pillar that slides out seems solid enough to hold the rearend up

k2rm 11-04-2009 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerPro (Post 3602174)
Ok, so If i'm looking at this right, this is not just a pull it out and flip it up set-up. You have to tighten some screws after you pull it up and flip it up to keep it in place, which is fine, I personally would like to be able to pull it out and flip it up and have it stay, but that's personal preference.

The spring thumbscrews allow for the hinge to not be tightened each time. They keep a constant tension on the posts and so all you have to do is tilt the screen up or down and it stays in place. I probably need to tightent the thumbscrews once a week.

Once it is in the stored position, it doesn't move due to the leverage of the ashtray door on the rubber bumpers. I was pleasantly surprised that this worked out as well as it did. It does take care to make sure the screen is properly aligned when sliding in to make sure the assembly doesn't scrape either the top or bottom of the dash hole. Not a big deal though.

Also, look at the last picture I posted. That shows the clearance of the screen when stored.

frostie_122 11-29-2009 10:07 PM

VERY COOL!!!! i have a 7" with the v1000 and build a floating console but that takes the cake!!!

http://soundsfast.net/index.php?m=47&s=429&id=41

71swb4x4 11-29-2009 10:22 PM

Very cool and thanks for sharing!

lclippard 11-29-2009 10:34 PM

friggin sweet! im prolly still gonna cut my dash but this is very neat.

oldblue1968chevy 11-29-2009 10:36 PM

sweet!!! Is there gonna be a V2 that you dont manually have to pull up?

Rokcrln 11-29-2009 10:36 PM

Great idea, Might need to do this on my 72 Tahoe.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

CheyenneShop 11-30-2009 01:55 AM

I love it, and it doesn't block the center A/C vent (it's an Arizona thing)!

Mondo 12-01-2009 02:50 AM

Very nice... and thanks for taking the time to give us all the details

entourageguy 01-21-2010 01:26 PM

Great post full of information.
well done.
:gi: :c2: :clap:

D.PASSMORE 01-21-2010 02:17 PM

This is one for the board archives / :chevy:

k2rm 01-21-2010 03:17 PM

Thanks for the compliments. Has anyone else tried it yet? I am curious about other ideas people may come up with.

Cook's '71 01-21-2010 03:43 PM

That is sweet!

Se7en Deuce 01-21-2010 07:07 PM

man great job!!!
love the idea and look foward to doing that myself in the near future

tommyd241 03-11-2010 12:46 AM

That is dope!

mike14_07 03-11-2010 09:02 AM

thats a great idea

hoodup 03-11-2010 10:10 AM

Very well done! and clever.

srea76 08-22-2010 07:38 PM

total cost?

k2rm 08-23-2010 03:16 PM

$7 to 800 for mounting, car portal and LCD screen. Nav and bluetooth adapters are another $350.