The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   my "71 C10 project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=509737)

RexDodge 04-07-2012 09:10 AM

Re: my "71 C10 project

5 Attachment(s)
Well last night was a clean up night. When I can't find tools and I am tripping over things it's time to clean and organize. Once that's done it's nice to just look things over and realize how far you have gotten on things. I'm not satisfied but am pleased with my progress. I decided to recap a bit to see what I have done. Mostly cleaning now that I look back. A little fabricating but mostly I have become a master of the wire wheel. I am sure you all know what I am talking about there. At this point of the process I am installing the fuel system and wiring the back half. I decided to rip out all the old cut up and cracked wire and start over clean from the front to back. The fuel system will be slow as funds are low until I can sell some parts. I'm going to attempt to use the in tank tbi fuel pump with a external canister filter (fram) and a bypass fuel pressure regulator to knock the pressure down for my carb set up. If that doesn't work I'll shell out the money and change the pump in the tank to a sump (hose in place of the pump) and install an external pump. I haven't heard it run for over 10 years and I'm getting impatient. After the wiring and fuel I'll build my exhaust. I am planning an X pipe system with mufflers in front of the rear end (above and between the trailing arms) and dumping them over the rear end. I had built it years ago for the old set up (lwb) but need to cut it down and install the X pipe. I'll run it over the trans cross member and through the mid cross member. I think I'll fab up a replacement trans cross member to make more room and shed some weight. Grrrrr...this all makes me realize how far I am from starting the engine. I'm headed to the garage...

RexDodge 04-10-2012 11:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I did get a few things done over the weekend. I got my bed stood up to make it easier to finish the work on that. Notice the extreme gap that I have to take care of. I kinda screwed that up :banghead:. I also built an X pipe fitting. I made it small as the area I have to cram it in is extremely tight (right under the trans tail shaft/yoke area). Time to install the exhaust! The last picture is of the place I make the magic happen. lol. Thought it would be interesting to post pictures of our garages and shops. Big or small like mine. It don't really matter as long as you're having fun!

RexDodge 04-14-2012 01:06 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Found some pictures from 18 years ago the day I bought my truck. Looks good in these pictures. The trim was almost completely destroyed even though is was still on there. Other than that is was very straight and clean. Then I worked it in a landscape business for the next 8 years. After that I bought a new truck and she sat. I dropped in a new motor and trans...and it sat...until a few weeks ago and here we go...

RexDodge 04-20-2012 01:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally crammed my exhaust in...literally. I had to beat on the xpipe portion with a block of wood and a 5 lb sledge (aka persuader), put a strap around the end to pull it together (till it popped through) and then once I had it in place one side was a little low...no problem. Bust out the engine hoist and put a strap around the pipe and apply lift until it looks good. After all that it fits like a glove! I have about 1/4" of clearance to all metal surfaces. I did not replace my transmission cross member and I ran the exhaust as tight as I could to the little bend on the either end. Then I tucked them up into the frame rails to gain ground clearance. The right side turned out a little "snakey" but it'll do for now. I'll add hangers just behind the cross member and right after the mufflers. It would have been prettier if a shop had done it but I have the $$$ in my pocket instead of theirs and it feels great to have done it myself. I probably could have taken more off the welds to smooth it out but didn't want to risk future stress cracks. Once it's all finished up I'll come back and touch up the rattle can "ceramic like" paint job. It is high temp but you know how that holds up. All that measuring, fitting, time on the grinder it is done! 3" exhaust with an x pipe and Dynomax 2 chamber mufflers. It will dump over the differential and turn to the outside slightly. I think I'll finish with 4" chrome turn downs once I am over the differential. I can't wait to see how it sounds!

RexDodge 04-26-2012 12:04 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Thought I should post something to show some progress. I have been working on cleaning up my electrical mess. I have the wiring harness totally unwrapped and glad I did as I found a few surprises. All the junctions/splices are soldered but only wrapped with electrical tape. Cut all those, re-soldered with shrink tube to clean all that up. Ever wondered what to do with that old license plate bracket? Make a relay mounting point! I mounted it on the inside of the drivers side fender right at the front. I had enough room for both my headlight relays, a fuel pump replay and an electric fan relay. Once I get this wired in I'll do the starter/ac side. I have a "special" place to mount my remote solenoid. It is out of sight due to that "other" manufacturer making it. I'll reveal the spot after I have it mounted with pictures. Oh, big brown truck brought front suspension goodies today. A couple of more boxes tomorrow and it's tear down time. Stay tuned for pics of all that.

RexDodge 04-30-2012 12:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I got started on the front end. Man , scraping 40 years of crud off takes some time! I finally have it all cleaned up and painted. I also did the caster mod to the lower control arms while I have it tore down. My bed (that I have turned on its end) made a perfect spot to hang parts to paint. I'll post before and after pics once it is all back together. Oh, I am changing out the spindles (2.5 drop) and coils (another 2" of drop) in this tear down.

RexDodge 04-30-2012 01:00 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I thought I would post some engine bay pics for interest and see if someone could help me figure something out. The engine pics still show some work to be done but it's coming along. I installed this engine about 8 years ago and it has sat until about 6 weeks ago. I cannot figure out the pulleys. IN the pics I think you can see that the power steering and alternator pulleys do not line up with the crank pulleys. I am sure these are the same pulleys that where pulled off. What gives?

RexDodge 05-01-2012 12:28 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I finally got my 2.5" spindles and 2" coils installed. I did the lca relocation to gain caster adjustment too. I ran into a few issues while I was assembling that I do not remember reading in the previous write ups about this mod. Sorry if I am covering ground that has already been tilled but maybe it will save someone some time on their project so here we go. I also apologize for not being great at putting this type of post together. It may be hard to follow. Remember I installed 2.5" drop spindles and 2" drop coils.
Here is what I ran into on my install.
1. LCA will hit on the rear of the control shaft.
2. The coil spring will hit on the front of the spring pocket.
3. The dust shield will hit on the out most point of the LCA.
Here is what I did and how I massaged things to fit.
I took my brakes, stock spindles and lower control arms out. Cleaned all that up and did the drilling of the shaft moving the locating "dimple" over .75" (rotated shaft half way and drilled to same diameter and depth as old locating dimple). When I went to reassemble the cap on the end of the shaft hit the lca not allowing it to swing up into position. I just marked the area to be removed, pulled the lca out and cut. LCA clearance no problem now.
Re installed the lca and when I tried to install the coil spring it hit the front of the spring pocket. This was due to moving the lca forward .75". No problem, I just pulled the lca back out (again) and grabbed my trusty 4" grinder with a cut off wheel. I marked the area that was interfering with the coil spring, making sure to allow for the coil spring moving out (the lca will move the bottom of the coil out as you jack it into place) as I jacked it into place. I just made cuts every 1/4" and just through the roll on the edge of the pocket. Be very careful not to cut too deep as it would cut into the upper of the spring pocket. Grabbed a pair of channel locks and tweaked the pieces off. Switched to a grinding wheel that is worn down about half way (I like to keep one around for tight areas) and smoothed it all out. after that I have about 1/8" clearance with the coil spring in place. Coil spring clearance not a problem now. Special note, be sure to get the u bolts that hold the control shaft in the correct position and not "cocked to one side". If not they will loosen up and things would get exciting.
After installing the dust shield I noticed it was up against the tip of the LCA. That would most likely make a really annoying noise if not taken care of so I smoothed that off with a flapper wheel. No problem any more.
Reassembled the brakes (with adequate disk brake quiet to assure no annoying sqeals) and put the tires/wheels back on. Done! I don't have heated coils anymore. I have a solid suspension system I can rely on. My lca before was lower on the inside mounting point than the ball joint end. Now the lca sits nice and level. I estimate the "issues" added about 2 hours to the job. I hope this saves someone that time. Sorry for the length of this post. I still have not figured out how to write between the pictures. That would help when describing things. Well...here we go. Onto the next project...the fuel system.

RexDodge 05-15-2012 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I finally found a fuel filler door! This has had me at nearly a stand still. I insisted on not feeding the pull a part corporation here locally. I found a guy parting out a totalled late model suburban. Can't wait to install this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Tinkermc 05-16-2012 12:09 AM

your truck will look so nice when you get it all done, I really prefer short beds and this will be so nice

RexDodge 05-16-2012 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5383148)
your truck will look so nice when you get it all done, I really prefer short beds and this will be so nice

I sure hope so. I don't think they are every really done though. It's too much fun!

RexDodge 05-16-2012 11:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So I got home tonight and couldn't stand to not work on the new fuel door. I was able to do the lay out and install it (rough I mite add) in a little over an hour. Granted it is only the door and I still have to cut the inner bed and fab a cover for the filler tube but that shouldn't be too bad. Here are some pics showing the start and the rough in. I am happy with it so far. Lines up but still needs a little tweaking. I also included one of the bed rail showing the stake pockets and misc holes filled in. Getting closer!

RexDodge 05-17-2012 12:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I saw these wheels at a recent car show. Can someone tell me what these are? I may have to have these...

lolife99 05-17-2012 11:02 AM

I believe those are KMC Nova wheels.
Also American Racing makes the same wheel.

Keep up the great progress!

RexDodge 05-17-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 5385625)
I believe those are KMC Nova wheels.
Also American Racing makes the same wheel.

Keep up the great progress!

Thanks Keith!

RexDodge 05-18-2012 10:43 AM

Well...I just ordered a new windshield ($116 picked up at a local warehouse). I'll be installing it myself (with the help of a few friends). I've installed a few successfully but it is always pucker time when doing it. Wish me luck boys...I'm going in!

RexDodge 05-28-2012 10:53 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Finally got my exhaust done and a few other things I wanted to get done before I re-installed my bed. It's finally back on. It is just sitting loose in this picture. I still need to shim and align. It's just good to be done with all that work underneath there. I need to get gaskets for my windshield and rear window now and get those installed. Looking forward to driving it this summer. Onward...

Tinkermc 05-29-2012 08:48 PM

sure does look good

RexDodge 05-29-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinkermc (Post 5406719)
sure does look good

Thank you! I hope to have the seams in the bed filled, smoothed, primer and sealed soon. I'll drive it like that this summer. As soon as I do the initial start and cam break in I'll get it out for some better pictures. I really appreciate all the tips and help all the members here have given me. Saved me so much trial and error stuff.

chevy88 05-31-2012 06:58 AM

Nice job welding on the bed, looks like no warpage at all. I bet you'll be glad to start cruising it with it again.

RexDodge 05-31-2012 09:19 AM

Thanks! It did warp a bit but in a good way (created a nice "dip" that will make filling easy). I am so close to having this drivable again. The anticipation is killing me :burnout:

RexDodge 06-06-2012 02:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a daughter getting married next month so my "to do list" has alot of other things on it lately. It's really tuff to sqeaze in a little time in the garage these days. And just when I am getting so close...
I did get a little done today. I am nearing completion of the bed welding. Remember this girl has had a long hard life working in a landscape business. I still have the licensing sticker on the wing window and I intend to leave it there as proof! Anyway on to the pictures. I have all the stake pockets filled in and the multitude of holes drilled over the years for who know what/why. I really need a new floor and wheel wells but that is not in the budget right now. I left the middle stake pocket lower but modified it because I wanted the support in case some big ol dude decides to rest on the bed rail. I intend to do a spray in liner. I think if I am crafty with that it will hide lots of "flaws".

RexDodge 06-08-2012 11:33 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Finally done with all the welding on the bed. There were so many misc holes drilled all over this thing. The 2 seams took forever to get them done. The bed floor is in really bad shape so my crappy welding blended right in! I included a picture of a hole in the post right where the tailgate latches into it. The top hole there, is it factory? If not I will weld it up. Any help is really appreciated.

c10seth 06-12-2012 11:32 AM

Awesome build!

Seth

RexDodge 06-13-2012 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c10seth (Post 5430541)
Awesome build!

Seth

Thanks Seth! I feel like I am slowly creeping towards driving my truck again.