The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Factory Correct Restoration Details (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=547915)

starfire58 12-10-2012 09:28 PM

Re: Factory Correct Restoration Details

My '71 had six point bolts in the hood hinges and 12 point bolt in the hood latch assy.

71K20chevy 12-10-2012 09:42 PM

I just realized that when I made one of my previous posts, I said my hood hinge had 12 point bolts...I meant hood latch.

Spartan 12-10-2012 11:07 PM

69k20survivor. 350/4spd
Love this thread. Thank you!
My truck is a "survivor". The engine is what seems to be a type of hugger. The intake is not painted... Makes me think it's not og. Covers are same as block. If the forum or apple (iPhone) ever decide to direct upload photos I have a ton of before pics...
Does anybody know who was making toppers at the time? Winch bumpers? These would no be factory, but period correct examples would be cool.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Graham57a 12-10-2012 11:22 PM

I'm able to upload pictures to the forum from my iphone. It just lets me do one at a time but it works

kcfirstbuild 12-10-2012 11:27 PM

I had a Wa on the front of my head. I put it back on looks nice.

DeadheadNM 12-10-2012 11:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I look for the correct paint/finish on the dash between the windshield and dash pad. On my hugger orange/white parchment interior truck it was factory matte black (pic attached). In my medium olive truck w green interior it's a matte medium olive color.

Graham57a 12-10-2012 11:50 PM

That's interesting. I'm not positive but i think the dash color was determined by the dash pad. Of course it was always a mat version to reduce reflection.

Spartan 12-11-2012 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graham57a (Post 5751584)
I'm able to upload pictures to the forum from my iphone. It just lets me do one at a time but it works

I wish I could but no go...not directly. There are apps or sites like photobucket, but I don't use them. How do you do it? Good pictures are worth more than 1000 words :)
Posted via Mobile Device

Graham57a 12-11-2012 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spartan (Post 5751703)
I wish I could but no go...not directly. There are apps or sites like photobucket, but I don't use them. How do you do it? Good pictures are worth more than 1000 words :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I simply just go to the thread on my phone and hit reply and then manage attachments and it asks me if I want to upload them and which albums to look through and it uploads them.

ray_mcavoy 12-11-2012 04:47 PM

I was looking through some old family photo albums and came across a few pics of a 69 or 70 that my grandfather used to own. I believe they were taken back when the truck was still fairly new. They're a bit out of focus so it's hard to see some of the details but I figured they might still be a helpful reference.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...70_Truck_1.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...70_Truck_2.jpg

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...70_Truck_3.jpg

As Steve Hafner posted earlier, the black paint on many under-hood items is "glossier" than many people think and this last pic backs that up ... especially the air cleaner assembly.

I also found it interesting to note that this particular truck doesn't appear to have any writing visible on the firewall like many of the others I've seen. That's probably something else that varied from assembly plant to plant.

As for the hood hinges & hood latch assembly that were discussed earlier, I've cleaned up a lot of them on other 60's/70's GM cars & trucks (as well as come across a few NOS examples) and the majority of them had a gray or black phosphate type finish.

71K20chevy 12-11-2012 05:34 PM

Those do help! Now I know how to route my washer hoses! Thanks!!

Graham57a 12-11-2012 06:13 PM

Wow those are great pictures!!! Do I see a sticker on top of the heater box? Never seen that before

Duncan and son 12-11-2012 08:45 PM

When Jason (sameyrasmea72) was a kid he grew up watching us build NCRS, bloomington gold and top flight mid year corvettes. Of all the folks that restore cars, corvette people are the most fanatic, duplicating factory runs in the paint, over spray in undesirable places, not only bolts with correct finish but correct pattern on the head and no paint under parts that were on the unit when under the hood and bottom were blacked out. Example: the hood hinges were natural with black over spray and no paint under the hinge. Probably an over kill on explanation but my point is that Jason probably knows as much about correctness as anyone. I always say he is smarter than a white rat. Paul

DeadheadNM 12-11-2012 08:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by MusicMan70 (Post 5671537)
I had strange markings on the side of my block before I cleaned and repainted it. Looked like something spilled or smeared (UFO crop circles) on the side of the block, then I turned it upside down; TAX.
Guess this mark was added during the engine building process?

Here's my block (Thanks Paul and Jason!) that shows similar factory markings. In this case, TDR is the correct code for a K20 4wd application in 1972 - this motor was pulled from a K20 Suburban and will have a new home in my 72 K20 Super

Lee H 12-11-2012 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan and son (Post 5753315)
When Jason (sameyrasmea72) was a kid he grew up watching us build NCRS, bloomington gold and top flight mid year corvettes. Of all the folks that restore cars, corvette people are the most fanatic, duplicating factory runs in the paint, over spray in undesirable places, not only bolts with correct finish but correct pattern on the head and no paint under parts that were on the unit when under the hood and bottom were blacked out. Example: the hood hinges were natural with black over spray and no paint under the hinge. Probably an over kill on explanation but my point is that Jason probably knows as much about correctness as anyone. I always say he is smarter than a white rat. Paul

I hear ya, I've frame offed two mid years, won't do another. A few more C10s are on the the slate, after I get done with the current one.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sicklajoie 12-11-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan and son (Post 5753315)

MOPAR guys are in the same category, maybe even worse.

Duncan and son 12-11-2012 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadheadNM (Post 5753328)
Here's my block (Thanks Paul and Jason!) that shows similar factory markings. In this case, TDR is the correct code for a K20 4wd application in 1972 - this motor was pulled from a K20 Suburban and will have a new home in my 72 K20 Super

Hey Pete , always good to see your post. Have you or anyone ever seen these markings on the side of the block, on a big block
Always appreciate you and your help Paul

70STOVEBOLT 08-12-2014 01:35 PM

TTT! Let's see if we can compile any more info on this thread!

burb71 08-12-2014 05:29 PM

ttt

burb71 08-12-2014 05:38 PM

ttt

DeadheadNM 08-12-2014 06:53 PM

See this thread for some additional useful details: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624189

toms68cst 08-15-2014 11:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There is one detail about my 68 327 that is odd compared to every other small block chevy from that vintage and nearly every original small block I've seen on this site. that is the color of the alternator bracket.

I am sure my 327 bracket was orange from the factory and that's what I went with when I redid my engine a few years ago. 99.999% of all other small blocks with orange blocks seemed to have black alternator brackets. I have seen one or two other orange-bracket 68/327 trucks show up on this site over the years however.

I've had a couple people over the years tell me I did my bracket up in the wrong color and have had to argue my point.

davepl 08-16-2014 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toms68cst (Post 6803638)
I am sure my 327 bracket was orange from the factory

How are you sure? Are you the original owner?

I can't envision any scenario in which a bracket would get painted a different color. For one, the engines are sprayed and the brackets dipped, and for two, they're made in completely different plants.

DeadheadNM 08-16-2014 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The "clamp" that secures the power steering hoses together. Didn't realize pickups had these until recently - this one came from my 72 K1500

toms68cst 08-16-2014 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 6804232)
How are you sure? Are you the original owner?

I can't envision any scenario in which a bracket would get painted a different color. For one, the engines are sprayed and the brackets dipped, and for two, they're made in completely different plants.

I think everyting got painted at the same time including the alternator bracket. The smog pump lower bracket is also orange as well as the lower alternator bracket. From lookng at my picture above, my smog pump adjuster bracket is black.

I cleaned the old orange paint off the alternator bracket before I repainted it. It was very hard quality paint and hard to get off.

I am pretty sure my engine had never been touched before me.