The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   1951 Chevy / C4 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=557538)

69CST-V 02-14-2013 03:27 AM

Re: 1951 Chevy / C4

Great work X.
Posted via Mobile Device

xpickup 02-15-2013 10:58 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Wheelie, Thank you. It makes it nice when you can just make it rather than buy the stuff. I was fairly easy to do.

99 to Life, Thank you. I will have to figure out the hours. I have them all wrote down. I too can not wait to see it with the body back on it.

4544speed, Thank you. Yes it should be a rigid frame.

oldman3, Thank you. I working on it. HAHA

69CST-V, Thank you.

I had off today so I got some more steel this morning. Then made up the templates so I could plasma cut the pieces out. It worked out great. I welded them all together then, so on Sunday I should get them finished fit and welded on the frame. Then cut out the old section of the frame. Next is to start mounting the rear end. Here are my latest pictures.

Shannon

oldman3 02-16-2013 12:23 AM

Those are some nice pieces, will be rock solid when your done, nice work....Jim

Homebuilt Hotrods 02-16-2013 01:33 AM

Sweet build as usual!

48 GMC BURB 02-16-2013 01:50 AM

Shannon
Sweet work as usual :clap:
How's it feel building a airlume ? This thing will never leave the family!!

I'll be back in the States mid April.
I'll bring the motor & Trans up then.
I have the mastercylinder & booster from the donner vett if that will work.
The tank will need a GM sending unit & I'll have to check & see what the guys are using, a stock in tank pump or if their is a external in-line that will work.

Ken:flagw:

xpickup 02-17-2013 09:35 PM

4 Attachment(s)
oldman3, Thank you. Yes, thanks to Ken, I now changed my mind on the frame on the 54. I love the lok and as you said it is rock solid.

Homebuilt Hotrods, Thank you.

48 GMC BURB, Thank you. I am glad it is staying in the family. It will be a great thrasher. Ok on the motor and tranny. I will have to check on the size of the vette booster and see if it will fit, but if so we can use it. Sounds good on the tank. Let me know on the pump and the sending unit for the gauges.

Today I put the notch in. I was rolling and hardly took any pictures. I cut some notches in the frame so that I could put the higher rear end notch in. Then welded it all in and then cut out the old. It worked out great. I rather do it that way so there is no worry on lining it up. I did put some temperary braces across the back and some going to the ground for some support. Nothing moved. Then cut out some fish plates to strengthen the joints. So soon I will be setting in the rear. I can not what to put the wheels on it and put it back on the ground.

Shannon

99 to Life 02-17-2013 11:29 PM

lotta work there, lotta great work

oldman3 02-18-2013 12:51 AM

Shannon, really like the way you installed that kick-up, then removing old section, fish plates really add to it, nice job....Jim

98layinframe 02-18-2013 01:07 PM

Nice work on that kick up, clean and flows nicely with the frame shape.
Posted via Mobile Device

Larry Lindley 02-18-2013 03:28 PM

very good on rear notch.

shadow1967 02-18-2013 09:59 PM

Nice Job!!

48 GMC BURB 02-19-2013 01:21 AM

[QUOTE=xpickup;5895293]oldman3, Thank you. Yes, thanks to Ken, I now changed my mind on the frame on the 54. I love the lok and as you said it is rock solid.

Shannon
What kind of a friend would I be if I didn't point out that you deserve a KOOL pickup too !!

I plan to auto x it at Good guys & SCCA events, should be fun. We will see how much of the Vett stuff I can break !!

The more I see, the more metal envy I develop !!
Ken
:flagw:

shadow1967 02-20-2013 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xpickup (Post 5891614)

I had off today so I got some more steel this morning. Then made up the templates so I could plasma cut the pieces out. It worked out great. I welded them all together then, so on Sunday I should get them finished fit and welded on the frame. Then cut out the old section of the frame. Next is to start mounting the rear end. Here are my latest pictures.

Shannon

How long did it take you to weld the new pieces up? Thanks, I'm thinking of doing that on another project.

shadow1967 02-20-2013 09:11 PM

What metal thickness did you use?

xpickup 02-23-2013 09:54 PM

Well it has been a while since I have been on here. I was sick as hell with the flu. Now I am finally feeling better. I will be back at it tomorrow.

99 to Life, Thank you

oldman3, Thank you. It really does work out well doing it that way. It should be nice and strong.

98layinframe, Thank you. That was the plan. Keep everything nice and consistant looking.

Larry Lindley, Thank you

shadow1967, Thank you. The metal is 1/8 and it took 8 hrs to make the templates, plasma cut everything out, form the filler pieces, weld it all up, and grind it all up. It worked out great.

48 GMC BURB, Thank you. Fun, Hell yes! You better not break the rear in the truck. I did not know if you knew but that is a Dana 44, which is the horse power one. I know one thing I WILL have a frame like yours! And yes you are a good friend for letting me do this thing. I do seem to out do myself on each build. Boy I can not wait to do mine. The panel will never be finished. I have to keep at least one on the road while working on the other. Too many years on working on stuff and not driving anything.

Shannon

Wheelie 02-23-2013 10:33 PM

Hell ya, notch looks great. Keep it up!

xpickup 02-24-2013 09:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Wheelie, Thank you.

Finally back in the garage. Cut and fit the rest of the small boxing plates and the welded them in. I also welded in the drivers side fish plates. Then after that check to see that everything was level and layed out the floor to set the wheel base and to check everything for being square. I used a plumb bob to check and set everything and then used chalk lines on the floor. A little secret is the use clear spray paint to spray over it so it does not blow away. That is if you have a ****ty floor like mine(not one with epoxy or painted). Everything checked out great. I set the wheel base at 117" so the rear wheel are centered in the wheel wells. I cut out the bat wing mounts and have it set up with them. Next is to make a fixture to go across the top if the frame and bolt through the spring holes to pull the outer axles up to ride height. Then I will make sure at ride height that it is where I want it. I am going to put a tube in to catch the nose of the rear and tie it into the transmission cross member. Then comes the 4 bar on the sides. I need to get new metric blots and make some crush tubes to put in the frame so they will bolt through it. I have to figure out the shock mounts next. But hopefully it will be a roller next weekend. Here are some pictures.

Shannon

xpickup 02-24-2013 09:30 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more

Shannon

oldman3 02-25-2013 12:26 AM

Looking good...Jim

99 to Life 02-25-2013 09:15 PM

looking great, so how wide is that rear end? not sure if you posted that or not.

Homebuilt Hotrods 02-25-2013 10:08 PM

Wow you made quick work of that frame. Looks very nice.

48 GMC BURB 02-26-2013 06:46 AM

Shannon
Glad to hear you'r feeling better !
The frame is sweet & looks like it's getting close to needing some tires n rims!
Man can they get pricey quick !

Wybrow 03-03-2013 09:50 PM

This is easily my favourite build on here. Great work.

xpickup 03-03-2013 11:06 PM

5 Attachment(s)
oldman3, Thank you

99 to Life, Thank you. I did not measure the rear from flange the flange. I do know that it is the narrower rear (earlier style) with the later style wheels. I measures outside to outside of the tires 68" which is narrow. The front with s10 rims on measures 69" which is fine. I will check and post the width on the rear.

Homebuilt Hotrods, Thank you .Yes I h ve been thrashing on it.

48 GMC BURB, Thank you. Yes feeling a lot better. You will need some different wheels. I will see if I can borrow Billys wheels to check the fit. I do love the look of the frame. I do not think I can give it to you! HAHA

Wybrow., Thank you . Glad you like it.

Well been busy with it . I layed out the floor and took a tube and mounted 2 plumb bobs on it to line up the rear. I now have it mounted in the frame. I made a rubber bushinged nose mount and tied it into the tubing. Then when I did the side 4 bars I use the factory brackets and made crush sleeves to weld through the frame. Then I reamed the 4 bar bushings to 1/2" instead of being metric. The bolts are grade 8 , which I always use for suspension stuff. I still have to fabricate the coil over mounts fo rthe outer hubs and the frame. That will be this week. I did put it back on its wheels because I had to see what it looked like. The rear wheels will be a couple inches higher. I am very pleased with it. Here are some pictures

Shannon

xpickup 03-03-2013 11:08 PM

5 Attachment(s)
more

Shannon