The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Heavy Haulers (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=239)
-   -   my 1988 GMC 7000 dump truck story (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=724882)

sweetk30 03-04-2017 09:42 PM

Re: so i went and looked at this today

5 Attachment(s)
cleaned up the engine bay harness today of extra unwanted wires / parts .

stream lined it to coolant/oil psi sensors . tach/12volt to hei . carb 12volt kickup power.

got few question tho on the carb parts . 1988 7000 366 gas 5 speed .

pic 1 = is this the 12volt high idle or what is the correct name ? ? ?

pic 2 = vac port item pushes to the linkage but dosnt touch anything . what does it do ?

pic 3 = seems to restrict vac to secondary diaphragm . 12volt opens flow . can I bypass it or just leave it alone ?

pic 4 = looks like a tiny vent filter unit thingy . . whats its name and function ?

pic 5 = the whole carb for refrence.

Airdirect 03-05-2017 11:07 AM

Not sure, most likely a secondary lockout while the choke is on during warmup.

rkn463 03-06-2017 12:08 AM

I think picture 3 is an electronic governor.

-Richard

sweetk30 03-08-2017 10:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
went and picked up the rad and pressure over flow tank today .

then motor/trans combo was ready at local ABF terminal .

next to the last parts order showed up today . just waiting on a clutch linkage piviot pin swivel .

hope to start tearing in to the stuff Thursday . going to reseal / clean the tranny first since he goes in first cause I don't have a med/heavy duty style tranny jack .

then it will be clean / reseal the engine and get ready for drop in .

sweetk30 03-09-2017 07:13 PM

dam used motor is junk . . . . . tore in to it to clean and re gasket / seal it and the carb throttle shaft was frozen ( 1st oh sh!t ) then trail of water down intake runner ( 2nd oh sh!t ) and pull plugs and #1 solid rust ( 3rd oh sh!t ) and bore scope down plug hole has shown SOLID RUST and NO FU*KING GOOD AT ALL ! ! ! :m5::censored::cuss:

then to top it off the head guy in charge has just left yesterday on a 2 week vacation out of the country . so I have to wait on a refund on my credit card . . . .

Airdirect 03-09-2017 08:22 PM

Send your original motor to the machine shop for re-bore and have the heads reworked. You will then have a new motor that is dependable.

sweetk30 03-09-2017 10:41 PM

I don't think its even going to take that . . .

pulled a valve cover and you can basicly eat off the inside of it . my buddy bore scoped the plug holes and all but 1 super clean . 1 has tinyest bit of powdered surface rust in 1 spot.

Friday its hanging on a engine stand and tearin the heads off . were going to find out the rest of the story as paul Harvey would say .

Airdirect 03-09-2017 11:56 PM

Amazon has a set of 8 pistons .030 or .060 oversize for $265.00. If you have a good block you can overhaul these fairly reasonable. Even if your bores are good, a new set of pistons will go a long way given you have new ring lands and you don't have to clean up the old pistons.

ckfarm 03-10-2017 10:51 AM

I just had a 427 rebuilt -the engine kit was about $1050.00 included pistons,,rings,bearings,timing set,oil pump,cam and lifters and gaskets.Machine work-bore .030,polish crankshaft,plane heads,valve job,and assembly was about $1075.00 . So about $2200.00 total this should give you some comparison for what a total rebuild will be.

sweetk30 03-10-2017 02:52 PM

well the truth has reviled its self on the original motor .

COOKED TO A CRISP AND BEYOND :devil:

heads have pushed out guides chipped valves 1 has huge 3/4" long crack going from valve seat up to intake surface .

all the pistions all have aluminum melted off them and severe frozen rusted on rings.

1 head even started to pop / lift up when undoing the head bolts in reverse sequence of pattern .

she is beyond the put a stick in it with a white flag . she gave up the fight well before this guy owned it that's for sure.

Airdirect 03-11-2017 10:50 AM

Can you bore the block and use the heads off the used motor? The seller might give you a real deal on the used motor rather than pay freight back to his location.

sweetk30 03-11-2017 07:04 PM

the used engine - the amount of rust in the cylinder and on the wall we can see with a bore scope its going to 98% change be a junk head and at least rebuild the head .

the local machine shop said I drop off all the parts and he does up a motor turn key broke in on his stand and tested with warrenty over 3k bucks. and its starting the race season rush so who knows when he could do it .

I am digging deep in to this pig and getting closer to time to cut my losses ( small amount ) and sell the dump box off it and make my own toy or flatbed hauler out of it .

I also could do a cummins 8.1 diesel / allison auto combo but that's going to cost me 4-5k range for a good take out . then fab up mounts and few other items. way more than what I wana do on a chance someone would buy it . . .

if I made a toy out of it it would be a 4x4 swap and some sort of late model motor swap in / or 6vxx series diesel engine.

I just don't know right now. . . . . I don't wana make it 100% and then loose my arss on sale . . . . if I have to break even now is the time for the part out and make a toy .

Airdirect 03-11-2017 09:05 PM

O'reilly has a re-manufactured long block for 2K.
Line: PTQ | Part # DC52 :uhmk:

sweetk30 03-11-2017 09:18 PM

about 98% of all these reman engines say NOT for water cooled air compressor application . . . .

I have this application engine . and the ones that do require a specific block / heads casting no's or no credit on core . and the used -junk engine I am not sure whats going to happen to it yet. and I prob cant even use it as a core just my luck .

Airdirect 03-12-2017 02:40 AM

I'm sure if you shop around you can fine a machine shop that would bore your block .030 or .060 oversize for $400.00 to 600.00. Simple engines to rebuild, doubt that rust would have ruined cast iron head if they have not been overheated. I would pull heads on used engine and take a look. I didn't realize air compressor engines were different. Overhaul kits are cheap, 500 to 700 dollars. Transplanting anything else into it will be much more work and cost.

Bigasstrux 05-18-2017 07:36 PM

Medium duty GM trucks used the 453T as the only two stroke available.

sweetk30 06-11-2019 08:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
well i am crazy or lucky will see soon .

2nd ebay used engine . but this one looks real good and he gave me extra pics i asked for and info he posted and gave me also is way above the normal sellers level of a used engine .

remaned for gm tag on the block . under 10k miles he said . fogged before shutdown and pulled . rockers backed off so no pressure on springs or lifters .

should be here mid week next week .

sweetk30 06-15-2019 06:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
just got my pics of the engine all ready to ship out for my truck . this seller has done a super job on dealing with me . :metal::metal:

sweetk30 06-21-2019 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
awww look its your new haert transplant . . . ;)

Airdirect 06-21-2019 10:46 PM

Motor sounds are in your future! Looking good.

sweetk30 08-15-2019 07:00 PM

5 Attachment(s)
well finally made time for this project to get done .

motor looks as listed inside super clean low miles . i even was able to see the reman comp gm used installed a 2 row roller chain for the timing system so one less thing to upgrade on my end . cause if it had a silent chain i was going to swap it . i had to drill a hole and take a carbide bit to the threaded coolant plug in the head cause even with the correct special driver bit it popped 1/3 of it off . but once i did the hole and ground 3 of the 4 flats to the threads i tapped it with a hammer and chisel bit and it all fell out . i used the shop vac with a small 1/2" pipe reducer to suck out the chips and grinding powder . this was so i could install the nipple adapter for the water flow to the air compressor for the brakes .

next i had the intake blasted clean and gave it a coat of paint . for now it has one t-stat housing on it for mock-up the other is in the bucket of rust remover from all the boiled water that was in the old engines system .

next i said no more funky holley carb for me as it needed a full rebuild anyway . i found a new in the box edelbrock 1406 performance / towing spec unit with man choke linkage . then i got a pertronics hei module with built in rev limiter and will set it for 4,500 rpm just a little higher than stock system was . this with the new 50,000 volt coil from them and all new wires / cap / rotor / reg vac advance hei we should be good .

the water pump got stripped of its needed parts to go to the fresh reman unit i scored cheep off ebay not long ago .

i need to swap the tins for my units and gt a oil pressure feed hose made up local for the air compressor and the oil rated hose for the drain to the pan . then she will be ready for a test fire . :devil:

Pvmt-Pndr 08-17-2019 06:39 AM

Looking good. I'm in for the ride now

sweetk30 08-17-2019 11:18 AM

no one ride for free . . . get over here and help . :lol:

Pvmt-Pndr 08-17-2019 11:22 AM

Haha if I didn't have my own engine to pull and rebuild I'd be there as soon as I hit the lottery :exit:

sweetk30 07-23-2022 08:39 PM

Re: my 1988 GMC 7000 dump truck story

back from the dead thread ...... :ww:

long story for later but its ALIVE with the new engine . hooking up cooling system sunday for a full test .