The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Been hit in the head one time too many (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=818594)

special-K 05-13-2021 05:51 AM

Re: Been hit in the head one time too many

I'd have to go with an original metallic paint color. Black is cool and it's timeless. Something that shows the car from the era would set it off. Especially metallic on all those rounded lines. I searched "1950 Packard" and got lots of pictures

FleetsidePaul 05-13-2021 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8920217)
I'd have to go with an original metallic paint color. Black is cool and it's timeless. Something that shows the car from the era would set it off. Especially metallic on all those rounded lines. I searched "1950 Packard" and got lots of pictures

I cannot disagree with you Tim. But I'm such a sucker for black.

Black paint jobs and bad women. I'm there.

Just as a disclaimer. I have a wonderful wife now. (As he turns nervously to see if she's behind him) :o

special-K 05-15-2021 08:23 AM

3 Attachment(s)
It's all about finding the right one. Consider yourself lucky. Not trying to persuade or anything, but...

I went looking for pictures of those metallic colors (found them. Cool!) and came across this car. You do live in the sunny California desert and this one sure does scream that. (and I think your wife would love it)

LockDoc 05-22-2021 12:52 PM

-

Hey Paul,

Here are some extra parts for your Packard. This stuff has to be hard to find....

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts...311832284.html

LockDoc

FleetsidePaul 05-22-2021 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8923572)
-

Hey Paul,

Here are some extra parts for your Packard. This stuff has to be hard to find....

https://desmoines.craigslist.org/pts...311832284.html

LockDoc

Ouch! :dohh: Only 40 bucks! The problem is that I don't need that stuff. Although that's never stopped me before. The other problem is that I'm a looong way away from Iowa. And if he shipped them (Which it doesn't seem like he will) The cost would probably be a deal killer with shipping charges what they are these days.

Yes. You are right. Packard parts are a challenge to find. And usually have a hefty price tag if you can find them. Some are easy, others are nearly impossible. especially for a coupe. :smoke:

By the way. I was meaning to ask you. You wouldn't happen to have any key blanks for a 1950 Packard? I know it's a tall order and I think that I already know the answer.

LockDoc 05-22-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8923613)
Ouch! :dohh: Only 40 bucks! The problem is that I don't need that stuff. Although that's never stopped me before. The other problem is that I'm a looong way away from Iowa. And if he shipped them (Which it doesn't seem like he will) The cost would probably be a deal killer with shipping charges what they are these days.

Yes. You are right. Packard parts are a challenge to find. And usually have a hefty price tag if you can find them. Some are easy, others are nearly impossible. especially for a coupe. :smoke:

By the way. I was meaning to ask you. You wouldn't happen to have any key blanks for a 1950 Packard? I know it's a tall order and I think that I already know the answer.

I have key blanks for Packards back to 1927. There are 2 different styles of 1950 key blanks.. I have both. Can you post a picture of both sides of yours?

LockDoc

FleetsidePaul 05-22-2021 07:13 PM

I'll try when my wife gets home. My pile of junk phone has decided that it doesn't want to send pictures to my computer. Don't ask me why but it won't do it. Sometimes they show up a month later. I really need a new phone.

LockDoc 05-22-2021 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8923670)
I'll try when my wife gets home. My pile of junk phone has decided that it doesn't want to send pictures to my computer. Don't ask me why but it won't do it. Sometimes they show up a month later. I really need a new phone.

Sounds good. It works to scan them too.

I also have a couple of New Old Stock ignition lock cylinders and one trunk lock cylinder for the '50 Packards. Did I ever mention that I have a lot of stuff.... :(

LockDoc

LT7A 05-22-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8923674)
I also have a couple of New Old Stock ignition lock cylinders and one trunk lock cylinder for the '50 Packards. Did I ever mention that I have a lot of stuff.... :(

LockDoc

Amazing.

Ol Blue K20 05-22-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8923674)
Sounds good. It works to scan them too.

LockDoc

Absolutely remarkable

FleetsidePaul 05-22-2021 11:43 PM

Here are some pictures. Not the best. My wife had been out all day with her friends. She was tired and grumpy. I was lucky to get these. The octagonal shaped key is for the ignition. That's really the only one I'm worried about since I'll probably never lock the car. I'd just like an extra key. I only have one and I'm an airhead. if I misplace it then I have a problem.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ard_Keys_1.jpg

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...ard_Keys_2.jpg

FleetsidePaul 05-23-2021 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 8920889)
It's all about finding the right one. Consider yourself lucky. Not trying to persuade or anything, but...

I went looking for pictures of those metallic colors (found them. Cool!) and came across this car. You do live in the sunny California desert and this one sure does scream that. (and I think your wife would love it)

I love that blue. And I want those wheels. But I'm on a tight budget on this car. Too many irons in the fire and the Chevy dealer is going to beat me up on the C8 if it ever shows up...I'm on a waiting list. :(

:waah:

1976gmc20 05-23-2021 11:10 AM

That almost looks like an old GM key.

LockDoc 05-23-2021 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul (Post 8923756)
Here are some pictures. Not the best. My wife had been out all day with her friends. She was tired and grumpy. I was lucky to get these. The octagonal shaped key is for the ignition. That's really the only one I'm worried about since I'll probably never lock the car. I'd just like an extra key. I only have one and I'm an airhead. if I misplace it then I have a problem.

The door and ignition keys for that car would be the same. In fact, all of the locks should be the same. The round head key and the octagon head key in the pictures you posted have the same cuts so they both should fit the doors or ignition. What I am saying is that they are exactly the same key, they just have different shaped heads. I don't know what the Yale key would be for. If you want to PM me your mailing address I will send you a couple of blanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1976gmc20 (Post 8923872)
That almost looks like an old GM key.

It is a Briggs and Stratton style key but it would only fit the older GM vehicles (up to '34), not the '35 to '66 vehicles.

LockDoc

72c20customcamper 05-23-2021 05:03 PM

Looks alot like a Y133 blank

LockDoc 05-23-2021 09:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper (Post 8923984)
Looks alot like a Y133 blank

According to the code number on the key (CH550) It should be a Yale 9279, Ilco O1122AR, Star YJ2, or National/Curtis Y14.

It does look a little like a Y133. Y133 Is an ILCO number and it fits Studebaker 1940 -'52, and the Yale number would be X246. It is longer and only has a shoulder on one side of the blade. (picture below)

LockDoc

silvertonguedevil 05-23-2021 09:36 PM

Now there's a car you don't see everyday.

special-K 05-24-2021 06:28 AM

My '63 Riviera was stolen and recovered, unharmed. Turns out the crackhead had good taste in choice of "Go Get Crack" vehicle and that's about it. He drove it until he ran out of gas and drifted it up to a restaurant where witnesses said they saw him toss something into the woods. That was my keys!

I didn't have a spare, so I grabbed all the old GM keys I had saved from past vehicles, confident one would turn the ignition... and I was right! I believe the keys was from a '55 Chevy I once owned

72c20customcamper 05-24-2021 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 8924083)
According to the code number on the key (CH550) It should be a Yale 9279, Ilco O1122AR, Star YJ2, or National/Curtis Y14.

It does look a little like a Y133. Y133 Is an ILCO number and it fits Studebaker 1940 -'52, and the Yale number would be X246. It is longer and only has a shoulder on one side of the blade. (picture below)

LockDoc

All my Studebakers use 133s . I still have my uncles punch and a few blanks it's nice when I can just punch out a key ( I tend to misplace keys alot)

Only one car my 64 do I still have the original aluminum keys for it