The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   My '67 Fleetside C10 renew (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=471776)

808_67C10 03-19-2014 08:51 AM

Re: My '67 Fleetside C10 renew

Bro, I am watching from the middle east and I need some progress... My truck is rusting, I mean resting, peacefully in my garage... All I have is this to keep me motivated.

jlsanborn 03-24-2014 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6577644)
Have computer monitor on, My '67 Fleetside C10 renew page is up. hitting refresh every 10 minutes. MUST SEE BED RESULTS. refresh..............refresh..............refresh...........

Still there? Sorry dude, that took a little longer than I thought!

Quote:

Originally Posted by thelonerife (Post 6577657)
Nice job!

Thanks!

Quote:

Originally Posted by faribran (Post 6577713)
I like how this is turning out. Bed looks very good. Will be tagging along.

Thanks for looking man!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Low Elco (Post 6577859)
Bahahahahah! Johnny for the win! Get ta whackin', son, that atmosphere ain't gonna pollute itself!:metal:

WHEW! I thought you were going to really spin that one around!

Quote:

Originally Posted by butternut1972 (Post 6579786)
Looking good. I can't wait to see some color on it. Keep up the nice work.

Oh man, I'm soo excited to get to that point. I drool over your truck. If you can make it up for Goodguys definitely let us know!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average Joe (Post 6583157)
Just came across your build. Nice work! Im a huge fan of butternut and white. Truck is gonna be killer.

I changed colors in my mind a bunch of times but once the rest of the build was coming in line I couldn't think of a cooler color. Except Fathom Green maybe... :lol: Nope, it's Butternut!!

jlsanborn 03-24-2014 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808_67C10 (Post 6583348)
Bro, I am watching from the middle east and I need some progress... My truck is rusting, I mean resting, peacefully in my garage... All I have is this to keep me motivated.

I hope they're taking care of you over there. I've done some travelling in my life and there's no place like home! I love seeing the updates on your ride. Are you going to try that patina look? I think it looks pretty sweet and it'd be easy to go back if you got bored with it.

jlsanborn 03-24-2014 01:32 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Okay, so I haven't been just sitting on my ass over here. I've got close to 100 hours into this mess since I last shut the welder off. I've been sanding, hammering and filling over and over again until I finally convinced myself that it'll never be perfect. The primer of course showed the thousands of little spots that I couldn't see just right. It's sealed and going into hibernation until I'm ready to finish all this bodywork jazz and put some color down. Next up, motor, exhaust, chassis boxing, brakes, clutch then mock up with bedwood. Maybe then I'll get back on the sandpaper and finish this thing. Have I mentioned I hate bodywork? Rolled the short chassis out for a wash too. It just looks **cking fast like it is!

jlsanborn 03-24-2014 01:36 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Few more!

jlsanborn 03-24-2014 01:39 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Couple more. I'm stoked to get on some mechanical :metal:

jlsanborn 03-24-2014 01:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Meant to throw one up of the inside. No way am I putting bed liner in here. Turned out killer. Guess I'll have to touch them wheel tubs again and probably the inside of the tail gate some more. UGH!

Bomp 03-24-2014 06:49 AM

Your bed is looking Saweeet.
Frame is lookin' tough too. Great shot from up high.
My hats off to ya for 100 work out on bed bodywork.

Low Elco 03-24-2014 01:19 PM

Love me some primed parts! Frame looks great! J+M, Awwwwww.... you big softie!

Glad to see you makin' tracks!

Vic1947 03-24-2014 02:06 PM

All your parts look fantastic, John. I'm in awe of all the space in your shop. When there's room to build your own paint booth, you got it made! My paint booth is the great outdoors, which right now is showering us with snow ...again.

jlsanborn 03-24-2014 03:17 PM

Thanks guys! I sure wish it was all better but it is what it is. It'll look sharp, especially being it's my first real crack at a resto-paint job.

Vic, I've got soo much crap in there that don't belong in there it drives me nuts but I'm awful thankful to have it.

All that gun adjusting on the plastic in the paint booth was stupid! Now when you walk past, flakey paint chips come floating along behind you and wind up all over your work. I'll have to try and get that cleaned up before any real painting begins.

mcbassin 03-24-2014 04:21 PM

Awesome progress! Your bed looks really good. And don't worry I KNOW how much time you have invested. I'm glad I haven't kept track of my hours. It would be insane.

jlsanborn 03-24-2014 08:38 PM

Thanks Mike! It's super encouraging for me to see paint going down on yours.

Ran out there after work today for another eyball down the sides and it's still going to need some love before any paint. It's mostly the driver's bed rail that's buggin me. You can clearly see where the old stake pocket was. Lot's of other little ticky-tack stuff that I'll clean up when I block it out NEXT YEAR! :lol:

Bennett68C10 03-24-2014 10:20 PM

Nice job on the bed, it looks really good

jlsanborn 03-25-2014 12:42 AM

Thanks man! Cool new avatar!

z-iowa 03-25-2014 12:51 AM

Just read this entire thread, that was 6 of the least productive hours of work I have ever had but I enjoyed every minute of it! !! Nice work, can't wait to see more progress!

Fattback 03-26-2014 01:08 AM

Great build thread:metal:

Your wheel/tire and center cap combo look great.

Subscribed.

Rob

Bennett68C10 03-26-2014 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6593147)
Thanks man! Cool new avatar!

Thanks buddy, after looking over your photos again I agree with Vic1947 your shop is awesome and I have shop envy too. I would love to have all that space. I love how you have all your body panels hanging on the wall. I have to try to find a place to put all mine when I take them back off for paint :lol:

jlsanborn 03-27-2014 07:45 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by z-iowa (Post 6593156)
Just read this entire thread, that was 6 of the least productive hours of work I have ever had but I enjoyed every minute of it! !! Nice work, can't wait to see more progress!

Appreciate you looking!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fattback (Post 6595294)
Great build thread:metal:

Your wheel/tire and center cap combo look great.

Subscribed.

Rob

Thanks Rob! Glad you like the old-school rubber!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennett68C10 (Post 6595412)
Thanks buddy, after looking over your photos again I agree with Vic1947 your shop is awesome and I have shop envy too. I would love to have all that space. I love how you have all your body panels hanging on the wall. I have to try to find a place to put all mine when I take them back off for paint :lol:

Yep, it's like man-cave artwork!

So Big-Brown dropped off some headers for me yesterday! As far as motor mounts, spark plugs and chassis interference, I'd say these Hedman 69010 are looking awesome! Gotta thank Greg and Bomp for summarizing some of that info for me a few pages back! That's where I first spotted these. I'm going to toss the cab back on to make sure all is well there too then finalize my motor mounts and sort out a clutch throw-out. Looks like plenty of room for the bell crank but I haven't ruled out a hydraulic setup yet.

jlsanborn 03-27-2014 08:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more...

67ctener 03-27-2014 08:43 PM

Just noticed your running a manual. That's gonna be funnnnnn to drive. Hope you can stay out of trouble though! Keep up the great work as always

Bomp 03-27-2014 11:28 PM

Ha, we were thinking about your build/shop the other day.
Was out workin on the roof skin, rolled it over on the rotisserie and almost scraped the underside of the '69.
I said to me, errr, I answered back to myself, was talking but I wasn't listening, Shouted out loud, "Man!, Wish I had Sanborns shop"
Those headers are Fierce!

Those headers are fierce.

Showin the boy how its Done!

808_67C10 03-28-2014 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlsanborn (Post 6591260)
I hope they're taking care of you over there. I've done some travelling in my life and there's no place like home! I love seeing the updates on your ride. Are you going to try that patina look? I think it looks pretty sweet and it'd be easy to go back if you got bored with it.

Amen brotha, there is no place like home! All is well out here, thankfully it's not the hot time of year so, not too bad. I plan to finish the patina up and roll that for a while till I finish up all the patch work I have to do. Then, I don't know. I like the green on my tailgate but have always loved hugger orange... Lol who knows, I can never make up my mind.

Your truck is looking sick! The bed came out great! I drool over the pics of your garage. When I retire next year an settle in big island, I am putting up a steel building on my land. Having room to work must be awesome!

I hope all is well with you bro! :metal:

jlsanborn 03-28-2014 01:20 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 67ctener (Post 6598801)
Just noticed your running a manual. That's gonna be funnnnnn to drive. Hope you can stay out of trouble though! Keep up the great work as always

Thank you! I'm stoked to be going with a 4 speed Muncie. Still not sure which gear I'll use in the rear tho.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bomp (Post 6599097)
Ha, we were thinking about your build/shop the other day.
Was out workin on the roof skin, rolled it over on the rotisserie and almost scraped the underside of the '69.
I said to me, errr, I answered back to myself, was talking but I wasn't listening, Shouted out loud, "Man!, Wish I had Sanborns shop"
Those headers are Fierce!

Those headers are fierce.

Showin the boy how its Done!

I like the headers, well made, just hope I don't have to cut them apart! Although, your headers are WAY cooler dude :devil:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 808_67C10 (Post 6599463)
Amen brotha, there is no place like home! All is well out here, thankfully it's not the hot time of year so, not too bad. I plan to finish the patina up and roll that for a while till I finish up all the patch work I have to do. Then, I don't know. I like the green on my tailgate but have always loved hugger orange... Lol who knows, I can never make up my mind.

Your truck is looking sick! The bed came out great! I drool over the pics of your garage. When I retire next year an settle in big island, I am putting up a steel building on my land. Having room to work must be awesome!

I hope all is well with you bro! :metal:

Glad to hear and thanks! When you headed back?

Well, I'm home sick as a dog today but can't keep myself out of the shop. Set the cab back on and BAM! Passenger side collector is hard into the floorboard just above the pinch weld. Figgered that'd be the case. So now, where to adjust??? I'm going to toss the oil pan on as it looks like I've got lots of room and that the motor is a bit nose-high. I have room on the drivers side to go down some. I'll have to mod my engine perches to do that. I'm also wondering if I can stand to come forward at all. Might have to pound a water pump on there and set the core support down... I'll have to dig that clutch linkage out too. I don't want to but I'm not totally opposed to cutting into them headers if I have to.

aggie91 03-28-2014 02:16 PM

I am not saying you forgot them, but did you put the new cab mount bushings on the frame before you set the cag down? Those are about 1.5" thick, it may be all the clearance you need. Just a thought since we could not see those in the pictures you took...