The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   projects and builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=197)
-   -   my build thread (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=329718)

sams60gmc 07-13-2009 12:43 PM

Re: my build thread

2 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of my new hoods. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I think the one on the truck right now will be easier to fix. Let me know what you guys think.

aerotruk63 07-13-2009 09:11 PM

Tip from an old junkyard guy, Look for hoods from schoolbuses. There higher up so less likely to get damaged and retired earlier cause they were not allowed to transport public after a few years. I can still see 37 on the front of my hood even though it had been blasted primed and painted.

Captainfab 07-13-2009 11:13 PM

It's kind of hard to tell in the pics just how bad the one with center damage is. But if you can weld sheetmetal, I would think the one with the corner damage might be easier. If you can get that section from another hood, cut out the bad and weld in the good piece. Being on the side where there is more rigidity, there would be less warpage from the welding. On the other hand if the one with the center damage could be hammer and dollied out then that might be easier. To make that easier you could cut out the inner structure for easier access. Then weld that back in when done.

sams60gmc 07-29-2009 03:45 AM

Got an idea today and started pulling the front end for my cross member conversion. Super hot here 113 today so I'm not sure how fast I'll get this swap done. I'll get some progress pictures up soon. Pulled one of my hoods apart and almost got most of the dents worked out of it. A little more finish work and it will look good and then I have got to spot weld the front piece back on it.

sams60gmc 09-01-2009 12:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Little upate on my truck. I've got the front end all back on the ground now. I've got to make the steering box adapter and do the brakes then its all done. I cut my 12 bolt apart and now I've just got to mock that up and weld on trailing arm saddles. I went to the junk yard today and tried to trade my 7'' wide rally for a 8'' that I found and the guy said if I could find my recipt I could. I ran home and couldn't find it so I bought it for 20 bucks. I've got my hood cut apart right now and I'm some patch panels off of the green hood to repair the dents on the grey hood. I've got my glove box door back off and I'm doing a different design on it now. Here is a picture of the pinstriping I did on the back of my truck. I also bought a set of 1960 ish valve covers off eBay for when I get my small block going. I found an old air cleaner I need to get too. But thats it for now. I'll try to get some pictures up as soon as I get the rear end under the truck.

Alan's Classic 09-01-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sams60gmc (Post 3409794)
Here are some pictures of my new hoods. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but I think the one on the truck right now will be easier to fix. Let me know what you guys think.

Hard to tell in the pics which one is the better one. Nice progress so far.:metal:

sams60gmc 09-18-2009 11:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Been awhile since I've updated this but not much has got done for a while. I got my axle all stripped down and my axle saddles just got here in the mail. I need to make a steering box adapter and do the brakes and then the front end conversion is done. I went scouting and found another 8'' wide rally wheel in the back of the truck that I got the 3 8'' ones and the 1 7'' wide wheel so now I'll have a matching set. Anyways I don't have any pictures other than this pinstriping one. Hopefully some progress pictures in the next couple weeks.

Captainfab 09-19-2009 02:12 AM

Good looking striping.....

scotts62 09-19-2009 08:53 AM

Yeah :agree: That looks good!

sams60gmc 09-26-2009 02:11 PM

Thanks dudes!

sams60gmc 10-03-2009 03:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Little update. Got my steering shaft cut and re-welded today. And finished up my power steering box bracket. I had to cut it and re-weld it because I found out the on the 1960 frames the rear upper bolt is too high. So I moved my hole down on the steering box and fixed my adapter plate. I will take more pictures of the plate tomorrow. It is all finished now and has ground down corners and looks pretty good. I also cut the top off of my box so it doesn't have 2 holes. Now I just need to mount it up.

sams60gmc 10-28-2009 07:45 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some work done on the hood yesterday. And the steering box almost all the way in. Picked up some .040 over flat top slugs for my motor and a good crank. Thinking about dropping the motor off to get bored next week.

sams60gmc 12-16-2009 01:45 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Well finally some real progress for this build thread. I bought 2 stepside beds for 125 bucks. Sold one for half and picked up some year correct stepside fenders for 50 bucks. So in the process of thinking about shortening my frame I just decided I would rather build a custom back half from the cab back. I made it out of 2x4 and has a 7'' notch built in. The front tube is just in there to keep it square. And when I cut my frame and weld it in it will be a shortbed. All the bracketry is out of 1/4'' plate. It will be a wishbone style 4 link. The bed will have a false floor, should only lose half of it.
Attachment 524591

Attachment 524592

Attachment 524593

sams60gmc 12-16-2009 01:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the beds that I bought. The fenders I got are in perfect shape altho I don't have any pics of those right now.

scotts62 12-16-2009 08:56 AM

Cool! Looks good :metal:

FRENCHBLUE72 12-16-2009 09:28 PM

Looking good sam you must be the one at work looking for a tailgate? george was askin me about one.. I have the number to a guy who may have one... Truck looks great and the pinstripe in is killer looking....

sams60gmc 12-16-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 (Post 3678481)
Looking good sam you must be the one at work looking for a tailgate? george was askin me about one.. I have the number to a guy who may have one... Truck looks great and the pinstripe in is killer looking....

Thanks! Yeah I'm looking for a gate. George has one but I'm looking for the early style script. I'm not in a big rush it will be a while. Next week I'll get my axle mocked up and my ride height set in my backhalf. Need to order another bag too.

sams60gmc 01-16-2010 02:45 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Progress! Got my bags in the mail, sold my long bed to order some more bags for the front. Dominator 2600's all around. Here are some progress pictures of the rear end.

FRENCHBLUE72 01-16-2010 10:26 AM

Looking good looks like Im gonna have to finally get back to work on mine...

sams60gmc 01-20-2010 11:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The rear end is coming together. I've got 2 more bags on the way for the front end. I'm really happy with how its coming together. :metal::metal::metal:

sams60gmc 01-23-2010 01:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
lower links

FRENCHBLUE72 01-23-2010 02:26 PM

Looking good sam thanks for showin it off when I was down in the shop... I should have brakes by the end of today hopefully just waitin on the mail man for my powdercoat.. Also I have a pair of wheels for ya if you want them I just want them outta the yard..

sams60gmc 01-23-2010 02:28 PM

Sure man I'll take them.

sams60gmc 03-19-2010 10:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here ya go Luke. I got it off the jack stands aired up then put it on the ground! Can't wait til its Z'd and that bumper lays.

scotts62 03-19-2010 11:06 PM

Hey man looks good!! :metal: