The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Square body extended cabs (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=365878)

BGRAFX 02-12-2010 01:51 PM

Re: Square body extended cabs

Can you measure how much room is in the extended cab? (like will a car seat fit back there??)

Thanks

spankbomb 02-12-2010 02:18 PM

Looks like this dually is still up on CL.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1559745887.html

low86c10 02-12-2010 03:22 PM

man these bring back some memories, my dads buddy used to have 3 of these back in the early 90's and used them for his construction business, 1-2wd, 1-4wd both 84's and 1- extended crew cab don't remember the year but the bank took all of them along with his other trucks and house when he lost his business and started drinkin real heavy

JohnC 02-12-2010 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BGRAFX (Post 3796573)
Can you measure how much room is in the extended cab? (like will a car seat fit back there??)

Thanks

These really don't have enough room, nor are they set up to really handle having a car seat in the rear. They are set up like the early S-10's with the little jump seats on either side of the cab. At least the ones I have seen are.

D.FENS 02-12-2010 07:38 PM

Someone in or near Douglasville GA has one of these trucks. Was still being driven on a regular basis as recently as a couple years ago.

Never knew about Centurian, I thought the truck was a homebrew.

qu1cks1lver56 02-12-2010 08:28 PM

I want an extended cab so bad.
One day I wanna turn my long bed into an extended cab.

rare86 02-13-2010 09:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by BGRAFX (Post 3796573)

Thanks

The problem is like what was stated, the back has jumper seats on each side as shown in the pics. I dont see why a seat belt couldnt be mounted in the middle to strap the car seat down, Im comsidering it myself. I wouldnt want the seat on the side, because if you were in a side impact collision, I wouldnt want my daughter there. Im gonna install the Simpson style car seat in mine.

N2TRUX, I havent talked to Andy, but I do plan on trying to call him this week, if nothing more than to get more info on the truck he has. Keep them coming guys.

N2TRUX 02-24-2010 11:40 AM

Here's one on C/L. LINK

89muscletruck 02-24-2010 02:04 PM

These trucks are, really cool but it would be a cold day in hell when one of these found its way up to Canada I think...
But one day....

Mr.Scary 02-24-2010 02:13 PM

hey rare86 I live in mesquite but work in dallas and about a week ago drove through this kinda run down bad part of town near downtown dallas and I passed what looked like a shop or something, couldnt tell what kind of shop it was cause i was driving kinda fast but i did see someting I think you might like I dont have anu pics but it is one of these kind of trucks you are looking for!!! looks very similar to yours and clinebarger's truck. When i seen it i thought it looked kinda odd looking because of the extra window in the cab, but it was kinda tucked away behind the fenced and it looked like it use to b very nice a one point in time but has since been abandoned or something, so when i read this thread i thought it would be worth mentioning so you could maybe check it out or something. Well anyways if you have anymore questions or anything you can PM me or something if you want.

Good luck on the
rest of your search!!

Kaysenmc 02-24-2010 07:36 PM

I saw the truck I posted about cruising through town the other day with a new driver.. I have been trying to catch the guy who owned it but never could. Just letting anyone interested that its no longer fs

bobs84 02-24-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 89muscletruck (Post 3822206)
These trucks are, really cool but it would be a cold day in hell when one of these found its way up to Canada I think...
But one day....

mine has made to minnesota ,it's not that far away

89muscletruck 02-25-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobs84 (Post 3822826)
mine has made to minnesota ,it's not that far away

True that is progress.:lol:
But Canada is a BIG place it could take another 20 years to get to central Alberta. :lol:

rare86 02-25-2010 09:15 AM

Thanks guys for keeping your eyes out for these things. I may have to make a trip to the D/FW area and do some investigating. Myabe eat lunch with Clinebarger, really enjoyed the last visit.
Mr.Scary, when I do, I'll hollar at ya to see where abouts the one you saw hidden was. Thanks guys, I'm trying to follow up on the ones you mention, but no responses yet

BGRAFX 03-31-2010 11:22 AM

5 Attachment(s)
http://www.c10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4812

1983 GMC extended cab $1500

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ya its a squarebody extended cab. this truck is very rare. GM did this conversion on only a few hundred from what i am hearing. the VIN history tells that it is a 1983 GMC 2WD 1/2ton two door 6001-7000 gwv and came with a 6.2L diesel motor and manufactured in ST. Louis, MO. The truck comes without the drivetrain, bed, front bumper, or hood but other than that it is a complete truck. it has power windows and door locks. all the A/C is there except the compressor. Because its a 6001-7000 GWV truck it has hydroboost brakes instead of a vacum booster. it has some rust on it below that driverside rear window and on both of the A pillers. I have an extra steering collum, extra mirrors, from my 81 that comes with it.

sailed2japan 03-31-2010 12:05 PM

MAN! A diesel! With the motor and trans already out of the way to get my 4bt put in it! I need to sell something so I can buy that!

Anybody want a c20 with a 6bt/5 spd? Seriously.

Billetmaster 03-31-2010 12:07 PM

It looks to me like that truck may actually have had a regular short bed on it instead of the cut down long bed that most x-cabs I have seen have on them.

rare86 03-31-2010 05:20 PM

The rear interior trim peices look like trimmed down versions of the CVI ones like I have oin my trucks. The rear windows also look like they come out of a newer extendedcab, maybe S10. It definately looks like a shortbed. Id have to see the truck in person before I could say anymore. I have never found any records that GM ever built any extendedcabs in this body style. My only confirmation on that would be Keith. He would be my final decision maker. If Keith says GM didnt make it, then GM didnt make it. Come one Keith, what say you?
Id like to buy it just because for the price, it could be made into a real nice truck. I dont need it since I am about to acquire no.4 extended cab in my fleet, but that wouldnt stop me.
Like I say, theres to many differences. I think it started out as a CVI conversion and someone updated it from there later on. Its been 27 years, alot could have been changed. Original GM, I dont think so, but have no proof.

87 chevy silverado 03-31-2010 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billetmaster (Post 3892819)
It looks to me like that truck may actually have had a regular short bed on it instead of the cut down long bed that most x-cabs I have seen have on them.

ya looks like they did put a shot bed on it

thepenguin99 04-02-2010 11:32 PM

If it was not for this thread I would have never noticed it but there is a 1T (I think) extended crew cab with a rather short 5th wheel bed on it down the road from me. I will try to get a few pics. Guys front yard looks a bit like a junk yard and it is just sitting in the middle.

BGRAFX 05-21-2010 02:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hey billetmaster you better hurry up and finish your flamed xcab before this guy does your drawing on a crewcab.

Clyde65 05-21-2010 03:22 PM

Tra-Tech made a bunch of these for James Woods and other DFW dealers back in the 83-87 year range, the high top was from either Tra-tech or Starcraft ( in Fort Worth), it was really hard to sell them back then cuz they looked so weird, the conversion wasnt cheap either.

I used to work at a GMC dealer in Arlington back in 84,85,86 and 87. The GMC were even more rare because most GMC dealers wouldn't/couldn't sell them.

JohnC 05-21-2010 04:16 PM

Here is one for sale in Muskogee.

1985 ext cab chevy with 454 craigslist

BGRAFX 05-21-2010 04:20 PM

I think Joe traded his shortbed for that one. ;)

rare86 05-21-2010 11:49 PM

My crewcab is Tra-Tech. As far as the GMCs, makes sense because I have only found two (at least that I could verify as actual GMCs), and both are 86s. Mine and one in Snyder,Tx. Any more info you have on these would greatly appreciated. I have a guy trying to see if he has any brochures from back then, another that says he has a CVI brochure with one on the cover, but I cant get him to send me a copy, pic or anything. Id drive to Dallas and take you to a steak dinner if you had one.