The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Ashtray slide out LCD screen (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=370004)

Nova70 08-23-2010 04:14 PM

Re: Ashtray slide out LCD screen

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister (Post 3599265)
That's really cool. I almost wish I didn't cut my dash.

Me to, almost :lol:

Very slick though, I like it. If I was going for an original look I would be doing this for sure.

Edit- on second thought, I might just have to do this with a GPS.

RemingtonSteel 08-23-2010 04:42 PM

thats freaking awesome!!!! i want to do it with just a monitor whats one more right???

AirSpeed 08-24-2010 12:00 AM

It would be nice to modify a CD player drawer to move the screen in and out with the touch of a button. I may have to give it a try! I'm thinking of permanently mounting one of my Ipod touches in my truck, I have every CD I own in them, it would be nice to have all my music permanently installed. I already have it playing into a blue-tooth receiver. Thanks for the idea! I am inspired!

67cheby 08-31-2011 12:51 PM

Beautiful work !!

hipasschev94 10-21-2011 04:23 PM

that is absolutely amazing that you could think of that :D you think you could help me come up with an idea kinda like that for a second gen k10?

Beetle 01-08-2013 09:21 PM

So is there something similar to this LCD screen? This particular model has been discontinued :(

I want to do this so bad! Question this monitor just plugs straight into the radio under the seat or wherever you want it? Is there an alternative LCD touchscreen to use? What radios are compatible with this? Thanks.

Jason

k2rm 01-09-2013 03:07 PM

Sorry, I think Kenwood discontinued the Car-portal system. Try checking crutchfield for their head units and see if any have optional touch screens that can control the head unit.

If I were to do this again, I would probably just adapt the ashtray assembly to hold a I phone or standalone Garmin GPS device, and then run the audio out to an amplifier under the seat. Would be a cheaper way to go too.

watahyahknow 01-09-2013 03:20 PM

i think a tom tom widescreen navigation unit would fit as whell
look intoo some of the car computer forums they use a cheap thouchscreen thats been around for quite some time and do a lot with internet based digital radio tv navigation and stuff like that
the nexus 7 google tablet would be nice if you can get it to fit in there and is priced simulair to a good headunit it doesnt have anny hookups for amps and stuff though unless you make it in there youreself
you can search google too http://gadgets4everybody.nl/auto-vid...mi-av-vga.html

Beetle 01-10-2013 01:06 AM

Cool, I'm still researching may just do an iPad mini gotta do some measuring but all I need is an audio out to a cheap head unit and the iPad mini can get 4G LTE on it so I have wifi from the sky for nav and pandora. And an iPad mini ain't but $400 so I just gotta figure out how to make it work. May do like k2rm said and just make a mount for it since I really don't wanna just leave an iPad in my truck :lol: And the best part of an iPad is it has all my music in it. I will do a writeup if I go this route.
Posted via Mobile Device

darush01 01-10-2013 01:32 AM

I dont think i can handle that but id love to have it in my truck
Posted via Mobile Device

webfishr 01-10-2013 01:37 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I played around prototyping a mount for an iPhone 4s. Here are a couple of pictures that might give you further ideas. I ended up finding the monitor that has been discontinued on ebay to do an implementation more like this original post when I did my restore last year. The 4" monitors do come up every now and then but I always felt an implementation of this idea with an iPod or iPhone would be really neat. The problem is the clearance for the cables. The slide in mount I was using is available at http://www.kungl.com/ coupled with an old camera mount that swivels, and a 90 degree 30-pin connector made this interesting but I couldn't get everything to the point I liked it. With the creativity I've seen from members on the board, I bet somebody will come up with a cool implementation.

k2rm 01-10-2013 11:30 AM

Webfishr, looks like a cool iphone mount. Did you wind up using the tripod mount for the 4.3" touchscreen? That is a great idea that would simplify the build.

webfishr 01-10-2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k2rm (Post 5808275)
Webfishr, looks like a cool iphone mount. Did you wind up using the tripod mount for the 4.3" touchscreen? That is a great idea that would simplify the build.

Sure did. I'll post a picture of it later tonight. It worked out great.

Scott>72-GMC 01-14-2013 09:38 PM

Ball park range on price??
Posted via Mobile Device

BrutonLS1 01-23-2013 04:12 AM

Subscribed as well. Excellent work!
Posted via Mobile Device

coggonobrien 01-23-2013 04:26 AM

ipad mini next? there's a guy on my f150 forum modifying dashes to put the stock sync stereo behind the dash with a full size ipad as the interface, and its hinged/latch so you can take it out.
David

http://www.f150forum.com/f38/custom-...embers-183740/

9teen69 04-01-2013 11:25 PM

Both mounts are sweet...any updates?

SCHRUMGMC 04-01-2013 11:28 PM

Awesome idea, but it looks to be too small to use it for anything

Square_78 04-02-2013 04:11 AM

This is what I am doing in my truck. iPad mini in magnetic mount. No wires. Uses Bluetooth to send audio signals to a bluetooth processor that connects to your amplifier. Nice and clean and easy. THis way you get music and video and navigation and everything.

watahyahknow 04-02-2013 07:11 AM

looks like sumtin you can make youreself with a piece of mdf and a router

100mph 04-02-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Square_78 (Post 5986418)
This is what I am doing in my truck. iPad mini in magnetic mount. No wires. Uses Bluetooth to send audio signals to a bluetooth processor that connects to your amplifier. Nice and clean and easy. THis way you get music and video and navigation and everything.

iPad mini Float-Mount, Car/ Vehicle mount, installation - YouTube

Sorry to hijack ... pm me if you'd like

What are you using for a "bluetooth processor"?

I currently run one from my phone bluetooth but the sound quality is not very good nor does it automatically connect with the phone - i've been searching for something better but can't really find anything that is intended for use in an car/truck or that will connect automatically when the truck starts (or amp is turned on)?

Square_78 04-02-2013 09:01 PM

I think "Audio control" makes the processor. It comes with a seperate volume knob that you mount where ever you want.

Heres a more detailed video from the same guys that sell that mount. It shows the install and connections etc. pretty cool if you ask me. Since my dash is already cut, I have no problem trying this. Im going to place the mount overtop of all the sheetmetal so I dont even have to cut anything, but I will lose my ashtray. If i like how it works, I will cut it into the dash and make it flush later.

Jos 04-02-2013 10:29 PM

Subscribed
Posted via Mobile Device

AustinScott 04-02-2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Square_78 (Post 5987885)
I think "Audio control" makes the processor. It comes with a seperate volume knob that you mount where ever you want.

Heres a more detailed video from the same guys that sell that mount. It shows the install and connections etc. pretty cool if you ask me. Since my dash is already cut, I have no problem trying this. Im going to place the mount overtop of all the sheetmetal so I dont even have to cut anything, but I will lose my ashtray. If i like how it works, I will cut it into the dash and make it flush later.

iPad mini Installed into the Dash of a Chrysler 300, FLOAT-MOUNT - Amplified #91 - YouTube

OK this truly has my interest.... Please let us in on this adventure...minute by minute.

Square_78 04-03-2013 12:17 AM

I have to finish my air ride first. I wont get around to doing anything to do with audio until after summertime, but this is what I am going to do. I sent my buddy that video. Hes the head installer at a big car audio custom place here in town. Im going to see if he wants to build one of those magnetic mounts for me.